EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Wedding Ritual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wedding Ritual
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone give me short explaination on wedding ritual of Egyptian customs and its philosophy as well?. Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lot's of noise and beeping.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Leito is right very much beeping of car horns - Come to think of it when i was in Cairo i thought there was a wedding all the time hahaha
Leito can you please explain why all the beeping ?

Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So after the beeping is over the newly weds can appreciate the silence and not feel awkward [Razz] .

Nah, I really dunno xD.

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean wedding ritual such as there was a lamp hold on the head of a bride groom I saw in Cairo, what was the meaning? etc, etc. Just like in my country, there are so many wedding ritual when performing traditional wedding ceremony and every step of ceremony has it own means and philosophy. I thought Egyptian culture has this kind too?
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Nope, we don't.

I don't know what you mean by a lamp on the head of the bridegroom, but that sounds like one crazy wedding [Big Grin] .

Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
It is not actually a lamp, hmmm difficult for me to explain, it was such a fragrant smoke with a place shape like a lamp.

Leito, are you man? Egyptian or foreigner?

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
18 year old MAN!! Egyptian and kinda foreigner.

I don't know about the lamp thing, sometimes dancers wear chandeliers on their heads [Big Grin] .

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
* Yes, man sees girl, man visits home.
* Girl sees man, doesn't like him much, finds out he makes tons of dough and approves.
* Man makes offer to buy off the young lassie
* Girl refuses that offer, it isn't enough
* Man tries another offer
* still not enough
* Man practically pleads with what little bit he has left, throws in a washing machine
* Woman approves and they begin making wedding plans 5.2 seconds later

* Engagement party, lots of OBNOXIOUS loud music while the local skinny boys try to dance
* Lots of photos, gold is exchanged so everyone can see how much the girl is worth
* Later you have a similar party which is the actual wedding, same things happen except she already has her gold, everyone follows the couple to their new love nest, honking and beeping and clapping and the girls attending are overly dressed and looking like rejects from the High School Prom
The bride is dressed in a bad rendition of a Gone With the Wind frock and you actually expect that she is wearing SHIMMYS underneath while her mammy insists she eats something...
* Upon arrival to the love nest, these two strangers stand around looking terribly frightened and everyone sings and claps and more cultured people don't invole themselves in this mess
* Everyone starts to leave, the bride cries, everyone tries to control themselves, meanwhile the groom is ready to get jiggy and thier lives begin.

The end.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good break down Smuks........

The woman spends hours in the 'wedding shop', comes out with so much powder and paint on her face she can't smile.
The guys has hair plastered with so much oil/gel you can use it to fry an egg....oh and don't forget the 'glitter' sprinkled on..... his face....

That was the latest one I went too....

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh I forgot the all day at the beauty shop. [Big Grin]
They could make a fortune off of the glitter here if they wanted to!

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well what is 'catching the wax' i think it means holding the candle but why ? does it signify something ? i seen this at wedding i went to when i was last in Cairo...

Also i am really sorry if this offends anyone bit those Egyptian wedding dresses yeuck! They remind me of those dolls your grandma used to put on the top of toilet roll to make the roll look pretty [Big Grin]

Why do Egyptian women with beautiful complexions come out of the beauty salon 'white' with 1/2 kilo of powder? If they sneeze it will be snowing in Egypt...

Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Thanks for your info, at least I have some knowledge about their wedding ritual, which are quite simple than my own.
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Heart:
Thanks for your info, at least I have some knowledge about their wedding ritual, which are quite simple than my own.

But Indonesian wedding are so interesting.
More dressing up than in Egypt...especially if you come from the Java region.
Four changes of wedding outfit, and the religious bit goes on for 4 hours....... [Big Grin]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I agree, Egyptian women have so many good qualities and they distort those qualities with a bunch of fake crap (powder, chaulk, heck I don't know what they use). I know the more well-to-do ladies in Egypt can afford more modern dresses but the MAJORITY of the girls getting married in Egypt are in these things you could believe, there is actually a HOOP under the skirt!
[Eek!] That's beyond old fashioned, that's like American Civil War dresses!

I have a right mind to bring nice wedding dresses over from the states, not very fancy but modern and nice and open my own modern-wedding dress store here in this small city. I could make a bundle if I can get the dresses at a discount. [Razz]

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I agree, Egyptian women have so many good hy qualities and they distort those qualities with a bunch of fake crap (powder, chaulk, heck I don't know what they use). I know the more well-to-do ladies in Egypt can afford more modern dresses but the MAJORITY of the girls getting married in Egypt are in these things you could believe, there is actually a HOOP under the skirt!
[Eek!] That's beyond old fashioned, that's like American Civil War dresses!

I have a right mind to bring nice wedding dresses over from the states, not very fancy but modern and nice and open my own modern-wedding dress store here in this small city. I could make a bundle if I can get the dresses at a discount. [Razz]

Why don't you make them?.....Save bringing them from US...you can get nice fabrics here... [Smile]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

LOL me make them? LOL [Big Grin]
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egytpians weddings are usually a vulgar & obnoxious display of wealth mixed with lots of noise.

If anyone's ever been to a wedding here where there was an open buffet, you'd think you were watching an Animal Planet special about Hyenas hunched over a fresh kill.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

^^^^^ Oh you mean where the people trample each other and fill up their plates like Mount Everest and then eat the food like it will disappear to hurry back and get more? [Big Grin] [Razz]
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like being in the middle of a Buffalo stampede.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
It's like being in the middle of a Buffalo stampede.

LOL like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmZAiBB78k
(love the wig btw)

Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
quote:

But Indonesian wedding are so interesting.
More dressing up than in Egypt...especially if you come from the Java region.
Four changes of wedding outfit, and the religious bit goes on for 4 hours....... [Big Grin]

Yes, I'm mix javanesse, and have the pre-wed, wed, post-wed ritual ceremoney and must changes traditional wed dresses in every different steps. Inshaallah my wed venue will be in Bali with 2 options in Sanur Beach or Resort Seminyak (sooo confused to choose).

After that we will have dinner party only in Egypt for relative only (his choice).

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

My (Indonesian) daughter in law chose her family home for the wedding. There were 300 guests, and invitations were all hand made by her sister.....they were beautiful
Every one sat in the open air under canvas shades. There was a Gamalan band with singing.
Processions all around the ground near family home. Food was cooked by friends and villagers, a real community get together.... [Smile] [Smile]

Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Wow, I am happy to hear that you have a daughter in law from Indonesia, hope everybody in your family love her like how I hope my Egyptian man's family love me too [Smile]
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
Wow, I am happy to hear that you have a daughter in law from Indonesia, hope everybody in your family love her like how I hope my Egyptian man's family love me too [Smile]

Oh....she is much loved by the whole family.
We are a very much a multi cultural family. My sons being British and their wives being Indonesian and Chinese. We have gained very large families from the different cultures.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com