EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Men wearing make-up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Men wearing make-up
Kleobatra
Member # 14882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kleobatra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something else on the subject of make-up. When I was in Egypt, I noticed some men wearing eye make-up (khol)even during their day job. I thought is was quiet cute, a bit punk or gothic. Although I don't think it's meant that way. Is this some kind of a local custum? Are these guys Bedouins, Upper-Egyptians?
Posts: 119 | From: Where ever I lay my head... | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it's sunnah for muslims to wear khol, though I think it looks scarey.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kleobatra
Member # 14882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kleobatra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess I must have a bit of a wacky taste. First time I saw it, I thought, obviously macho men wearing dresses and eye make-up were about the cutest thing I ever saw, while my female friend was absolutely horrified. But does wearing khol for men have any meaning, apart from vanity? And what about male friends holding hands, are they gay or not?
Posts: 119 | From: Where ever I lay my head... | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing a guy in London Wearing kohl, It shocked me to see a guy with such delibrate make up on !!
He also had quite long-ish wavy hair.(he was straight btw)
He was the spitting image of the main protector guy from the film 'the mummy' He was cute !! And the kohl made his eyes stunning! I think he did it for vanity [Wink]

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it takes me back to my goth days in the 80's! The guys I knew then did wear kohl, with their jet black hair and clothes [Eek!] Having said that I was never seen in anything but black. [Razz]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kleobatra
Member # 14882

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Oh it takes me back to my goth days in the 80's! The guys I knew then did wear kohl, with their jet black hair and clothes [Eek!] Having said that I was never seen in anything but black. [Razz]

Me too!
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Fields of the Nephilim!!!!!!!!!!!! don't get me started! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kleobatra
Member # 14882

Rate Member
The Damned, Joy Division, yeh! But still hasn't got an answer.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Oh I saw the Damned at the Barrowlands and last gig of Bauhaus!
Kleobatra
Member # 14882

Rate Member
I saw Bauhaus in Paradiso in my hometown Amsterdam. The singer (forgot his name) acted so arrogant… But anyway, maybe I’m really getting menopausal. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Got no other signals of it yet, though. [Wink] Me and my male co-worker are making a habit of singing those 80's songs during lunch break. Maybe I should go back to Egypt and take the loveliest guy as a souvenir, put him in a nice cupboard and brush him up occantionaly… [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Pete Murphy!, I liked the guitarist, cant remember his name. He was mean and moody, just what I liked at the time [Razz] . How times change!!!!
Kleobatra
Member # 14882

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
I believe it's sunnah for muslims to wear khol, though I think it looks scarey.

Maybe it’s sunnah, but I’ve seen men with very haram purposes on their mind wearing khol. I only saw one muslim man from a non-Egyptian background wear khol during daytime once. But he’s an artist, so I don’t suppose I can count him in.
caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caringforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that men can wear kohl on the eyes as long they don't wear nail polish and blush and eye shadow and look gay. Men wearing dresses is just not normal. Two male friends holding hands is okay. That is not gay.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some religious men wear it in their eyes thinking it has some sort of medicinal value when they have an eye infection - not sure how true this is though - and I have known some very masculine men wear it just at those times.

It does look strange if you're not used to it though.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kleobatra
Member # 14882

Rate Member
Interesting information. Thanks! And Caringforwomen, the kind of "dresses" I meant are "galabya" or how do you write it? You know, the "thing" Upper-Egyptians wear?
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the beginning b4 me nd my ex hubbo got married and he was like, COOL, well we got lit and i thought it would be funny to dress him in my lingerie and makeup...and he agreed!!! he had mascara on and lipstick and omggggggg it was hilarious...but then he started to freak out when i couldnt get the waterproof mascara off!
Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen my 'upper Egyptian' wearing eye make-up, even when he's wearing a 'dress' (galabaya) [Wink] But he has been around the flat in my pink dressing gown [Big Grin]

I often see men holding hands or arms round each other here, they are not gay. Men here dont feel the 'hang-ups' with each other as western men do, they feel nothing about hugging each other and kisses on the cheeks or holding hands/arm in arm walking down the street. I like it. They are not 'inhibited'.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
But he has been around the flat in my pink dressing gown [Big Grin]

Funny!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kleobatra:
Something else on the subject of make-up. When I was in Egypt, I noticed some men wearing eye make-up (khol)even during their day job. I thought is was quiet cute, a bit punk or gothic. Although I don't think it's meant that way. Is this some kind of a local custum? Are these guys Bedouins, Upper-Egyptians?

The meaning of KOHL: To brighten the eyes.

For years and years since the time of the Pharaohs, and until today, Kohl is being used as medical protection against 'eye ailments' by women, men and children in Egypt, aside from the aesthetic point. Against the sun light that could be harsh on the eyes, the water that contains ...who knows what.. eyes infections, red irritated eyes, dry eyes etc..

The main component of KOHL is GALENA, a dark sulfur and lead compound, extracted by the Egyptians from a mine near the Red Sea.

Sulfur is found in amino acids.

It also whitens the eyes like 'VISINE' does.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit i did find it strange when i saw young babies wearing Kohl [Eek!]

I understand what you mean Almaz but i had always thought that if a baby where to rub their eyes then it would not be very good for them. I didn't realise until you said almaz that it is used as a medical protection i had always thought that it was to 'look pretty'

You learn something new everyday [Wink]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com