EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Thinking of moving to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinking of moving to Egypt
tj2008
Member # 15160

Icon 7 posted      Profile for tj2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am thinking of moving to Egypt to live. Love the culture, love the food, love the people. Want to learn Arabic.

Are there any issues that I need to be aware of as a single woman (muslim) living alone in say Cairo?

All help appreciated.

Posts: 25 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kos-om EgyptSearch
Member # 15064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kos-om EgyptSearch         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janoon
you are most welcome in Egypt
you will love it here
what exactly do you wanna ask about?

--------------------
forum sharameet we khawalat we el operator m3rseen

Posts: 504 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tj2008
Member # 15160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tj2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any problems for single muslim women foreign women that they will experience or should be aware of?

Are they accepted by Egyptian culture/society or will be looked at as cheap/not of good culture or background etc.

How should they dress?

Posts: 25 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kos-om EgyptSearch
Member # 15064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kos-om EgyptSearch         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just keep your distance with men
dont do anything that might deliver a wrong msg to a man
dress as a normal muslim woman dont show skin long skirts, although it differs from one area to the other, in a week after settling down you will notice how women in your area are dressed like and that will give you an idea about how to dress!
People here will accept you and respect you and the fact that you are muslim they will lov eyou more
you are most welcome and if you need any help tell me
la ilah illa alah..

--------------------

Posts: 504 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tj, seems a big step moving to Egypt without speaking Arabic, do you have work there? what are you planning to do once you get there?

ok, I just read your old post and I remember now. My advice would be to take things slow, have you now split up with the man you mentioned before? if so, it is likely that the desire to get closer to him is what is pulling you to Egypt. My advice would be to learn Arabic first, look for a job, then go over there. That way enough time would have passed for you to be going for the right reasons, as an independant woman with no emotional ties.

The reason I say this is that when I am getting on well with my husband I would go to the end of the earth with him, however when we fall out, I cannot even bare to be in the same room, let alone country! [Big Grin] I'm just thinking if it was me, and things were not going well with the 'partner' then I would feel very alone in a country I know little about and this would make me very vulnerable and unhappy. Thats why your decisions should always be well thought out and about YOU. Even as a married woman I wouldn't move to an Arab country without speaking the language, because you never know whats around the corner and you have to look after yourself, thats REAL independance IMO.

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck on your move.
Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVa Philip Morries
Member # 15245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVa Philip Morries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.:
tj, seems a big step moving to Egypt without speaking Arabic, do you have work there? what are you planning to do once you get there?

ok, I just read your old post and I remember now. My advice would be to take things slow, have you now split up with the man you mentioned before? if so, it is likely that the desire to get closer to him is what is pulling you to Egypt. My advice would be to learn Arabic first, look for a job, then go over there. That way enough time would have passed for you to be going for the right reasons, as an independant woman with no emotional ties.

The reason I say this is that when I am getting on well with my husband I would go to the end of the earth with him, however when we fall out, I cannot even bare to be in the same room, let alone country! [Big Grin] I'm just thinking if it was me, and things were not going well with the 'partner' then I would feel very alone in a country I know little about and this would make me very vulnerable and unhappy. Thats why your decisions should always be well thought out and about YOU. Even as a married woman I wouldn't move to an Arab country without speaking the language, because you never know whats around the corner and you have to look after yourself, thats REAL independance IMO.

i agree plus u shouldnt involve with men emotionally unless ur immersed in the cultur and enough arabic to both communicate with men and women to get friends who can support you
and give you more advice and experience

Posts: 211 | From: alexandria | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tj2008
Member # 15160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tj2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again guys - you have my back.

Have thought about what you said, I agree with you. Will learn some Arabic.

All of your advice is much appreciated guys - thanks again.

tj2008
Member # 15160

Mrs - yes things are over. [Frown] [Frown] I have told him that if he/we are not doing anything about being together then we should not keep in touch.

I always wanted to learn Arabic and have been contemplating doing those 1 month courses to dip toes and see how that goes...

thanks again....

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YoungEgyptianGuy:
just keep your distance with men
dont do anything that might deliver a wrong msg to a man
dress as a normal muslim woman dont show skin long skirts, although it differs from one area to the other, in a week after settling down you will notice how women in your area are dressed like and that will give you an idea about how to dress!
People here will accept you and respect you and the fact that you are muslim they will lov eyou more
you are most welcome and if you need any help tell me
la ilah illa alah..

i think thats doragtory for women!!
y should she keep her distance?

y should she watch wat she does!!
y in egypt is it always the womens fault???

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi tj2008,
Really wonder if loving a culture and a country is a good reason to move there. Do you have friends there? Did you arrange a job?
And what is your nationality?

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paradise_seekers
Member # 14095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paradise_seekers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I think there should be no problem, as a muslim and hijabi?

One problem you mind find is an apartment as a single woman.

I can suggest an area called Madinat Nasr (Nas City) - there are many student from al-azhar here so many foreigners, so you would meet other new-muslims and foriegner like you, and people are use to foreigners over there.

Good Luck. h

quote:
Originally posted by Janoon:
Am thinking of moving to Egypt to live. Love the culture, love the food, love the people. Want to learn Arabic.

Are there any issues that I need to be aware of as a single woman (muslim) living alone in say Cairo?

All help appreciated.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tj2008:
Mrs - yes things are over. [Frown] [Frown] I have told him that if he/we are not doing anything about being together then we should not keep in touch.

I always wanted to learn Arabic and have been contemplating doing those 1 month courses to dip toes and see how that goes...

thanks again....

No problem. I have found a course on Egyptian Arabic quite good, its called pimsleur, its quite fast paced, you could give that a try, also rosetta stone is good, but its not egyptian arabic, but good for teaching you the writing, letters etc. - but no english on it, which is quite scary at first!
Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tj2008
Member # 15160

You guys are the best. [Smile]

Fantastic suggestions re accommodation and courses.

I can read/write the letters script (basic/intermediate level). Have v limited vocabulary but am pretty good at picking up languages so am desperately hoping that I will survive...

Thanks much guys...

oh I am a British national....

tj2008
Member # 15160

Sorry am being annoying now...
do you have any links to these arabic courses/schools/accommodation etc...
cheers much

DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.linguaphone.co.uk

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kos-om EgyptSearch
Member # 15064

if you need any help whie you are here let me know

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com