EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » US Citizen wants to marry a Egyptian...need advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: US Citizen wants to marry a Egyptian...need advice
Gngrbread14
Member # 15438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gngrbread14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone.

I need advice on how to make all this work. What is the best way for a US citizen to marry a Egyptian man and to live in the US. I understand about the Fiance visa but I wanted to know if it is easier going that route or getting married in Egypt and then coming to US. Does the US recognize the marriage done in Egypt.

I would love everyones advice on this.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 3 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been through the green card process. The best way to go for it is via the fiance visa. You might get better advice on www.visajourney.com .

Good luck!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gngrbread14
Member # 15438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gngrbread14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samia - Thank you so very much!!! HOw long did the process take for you?

He is getting every in order over there and I need to get things in order here. I am going out there in Nov for a visit.

Thanks again!!

Posts: 3 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger... my case was different as I emigrated from the UK not Egypt...but it took 9 months from start to finish. I know of people that have been waiting 2 years.
It's not the US immigration that takes time, but the Egypian beuracracy.
Go for it.....he sooner you apply, the sooner you'll succeed!
Go to the USCIS website..... they'll give you all the info and forms.
Good luck!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabethN
Member # 14096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabethN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't do it!!
Posts: 1369 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depends on which route you want to take. The fiance visa offers a quicker response time for him to be able to get a work permit, however the spousal visa gets them here a bit faster in some cases, but only a couple of months. The marriage done in egypt in the ministry of justice office is recognized by the US if you take the arabic marriage certificate to be translated to english then take both arabic and english to ministry of foreign affairs to be stamped then take them both to us embassy in cairo to be notarized. Then you can use the marriage certificate here in the US to do what you need to do as for if you want to change your name or any immigration issues. It would probably be easier to go fiance route, however you are going to have to show alot more evidence of the relationship in that case.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am beginning to think it should be compulsory to have lived with the man in his own country for a reasonable period of time before women are allowed to import them to their own country.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
I am beginning to think it should be compulsory to have lived with the man in his own country for a reasonable period of time before women are allowed to import them to their own country.

I know the point you're trying to make Penny but the word "import" is such a turn off. Not all cases are like betty's. My husband and I are getting along great and my kids are bonding with him beautifully. Each couple is different.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

Perhaps we should extend it further and say you can only give advice on ES if you have done so [Big Grin]
Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana uhibbuk
Member # 11817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana uhibbuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gngrbread14, I am an American Citizen who met my Egyptian husband here in the US. We dated for a few years before we got married in 1995. You can look back at my previous posts to see all I went through. Last week, 3 year later, we finally received a letter that our case has been approved. It is such a long drawn out process, and nerve racking not knowing what the results of the case will be. My husband and I have a very strong marriage, so even if our case was not approved, we were ready to move back to
Egypt. I have never been to Egypt, but was willing to move there with my husband if he had to go back. I wish you all the luck on your case.

Posts: 50 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabethN
Member # 14096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabethN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't be a fool and marry him period. Either way is way to much work mentally physically and financially most important. These men are one way when they want to marry you but another once you bite the dust. You will be so sorry!!!!
Biggest mistake of your life.

Posts: 1369 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elizabethN:
don't be a fool and marry him period. Either way is way to much work mentally physically and financially most important. These men are one way when they want to marry you but another once you bite the dust. You will be so sorry!!!!
Biggest mistake of your life.

That is *your* experience Betty, not all people's. I'm sorry for what your going through but not all Egyptian men are like your husband.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a genealogical background check, and Betty you'd be suprised to know that arseholes come from ALL OVER the globe. They aren't just native to Egypt.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again. Marrying a foreigner and moving them to your home country is alot like adopting a retarded toddler.

They require alot of leadership in the beginning.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmogirl:
Marrying a foreigner and moving them to your home country is alot like adopting a retarded toddler.

roflmaoo!!!!!!!!

There definitely are times when patience is needed but mostly for me anyways it's just remembering that a lot of things are new for him here. When I get frustrated it's when I forget that he's brand new and I think of him more as just a regular guy who's lived here his whole life. Then I just try to think about how hard it would be for me in Egypt and I snap out of it. I don't really get frustrated all that often though because I always try to think of things from his point of view.

Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keep him from burning his hands on the stove and consider it a victory Doods.

I often have to use the same "reverse" thinking when I get to the end of my rope.

I'm so happy to hear things are going well with you guys. I am really pulling for you!

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not marry, then live, in Egypt? Six months after establishing residency in Egypt the US citizen can apply for their spouse, and the papers take a matter of weeks. The 'papers' aren't a green card either, but a permanent resident. I understand it's not an option for everyone, but that's what we did and it was much nicer than years of agony waiting.
Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabethN
Member # 14096

doodlebug - come on, MOST of us have had a heck of a time with these guys. I was married to an iranien for 17 years, this isn't new to me!
But Egyptian men? They are their own breed.

ana.fana
Member # 15467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana.fana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gngrbread14:
Hello everyone.

I need advice on how to make all this work. What is the best way for a US citizen to marry a Egyptian man and to live in the US. I understand about the Fiance visa but I wanted to know if it is easier going that route or getting married in Egypt and then coming to US. Does the US recognize the marriage done in Egypt.

Thanks!!!

All I can say is Thank God for the Patriot Act. Otherwise the US would be overrun with a bunch losers from lovesick women with their blinders on.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ana.fana:
quote:
Originally posted by Gngrbread14:
Hello everyone.

Thanks!!!

All I can say is Thank God for the Patriot Act. Otherwise the US would be overrun with a bunch losers from lovesick women with their blinders on.
Too late . . . we are already overrun!! All you have to do is look at those "visa" boards to see how many ppl are coming in due to "marriage".

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Where's the fireworks "smiley" when you need one . . . need to celebrate the 4th of July with some fireworks right now!!

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg2008
Member # 14767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg2008         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QUOTE]All I can say is Thank God for the Patriot Act. Otherwise the US would be overrun with a bunch losers from lovesick women with their blinders on. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree, most Egyptians dreaming of marrying a US or UK citizen are losers, they work crappy jobs in Egypt and will also be doing crappy jobs in the US and UK.
Likewise, a lot of Americans and British nationals living in Egypt especially who work as "English teachers" are losers in their own country.

Posts: 698 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana.fana
Member # 15467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana.fana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by massenburg2008:

All I can say is Thank God for the Patriot Act. Otherwise the US would be overrun with a bunch losers from lovesick women with their blinders on. [/QUOTE]

I agree, most Egyptians dreaming of marrying a US or UK citizen are losers, they work crappy jobs in Egypt and will also be doing crappy jobs in the US and UK.
Likewise, a lot of Americans and British nationals living in Egypt especially who work as "English teachers" are losers in their own country. [/QB][/QUOTE]

It's not their fault, Egypt will hire anyone who speaks native english to be a teacher. Most of them were not even tutors in America, much less teachers, lol.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg2008
Member # 14767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg2008         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It's not their fault, Egypt will hire anyone who speaks native english to be a teacher. Most of them were not even tutors in America, much less teachers, lol.

lol, exactly.

http://www.sandmonkey.org/2008/06/17/those-damn-fowegners/

"they end up usually working as teachers in Language schools that just started a bullshit but overpriced American Diploma program and they needed any foreigner who look like a teacher in order to seem legit to the parents of their students."

Posts: 698 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abrahem
Member # 15207

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abrahem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WANT TO SAY I HEARD HERE MANY NOT AGREE ABOUT Marriage AMRCEAN WOMN FROM EGYPTION GUY.I WANT TO SAY HERE IN EGYPT OR THERE IN THE USA EVRY WEAR HAVE THE BAD AND THE GOOD.AND I WILL SAY ONE THING IM SUER BY IT THE EGPTION MAN WHEN HE LOVE FROM HIS HEART AND FEEL THE WOMN HONEST WITH HIME HE WILL NEVER LEAV HER OR STOPED IN LOVE HER AND MANY PPL LOVE PPL NOT FOR THE NOT MOVE THERE ONLY FOR THE LOVE NOT FOR ANY THING ELSE.STILL SOME PPL LOVE FOR THE LOVE NOT FOR ANY THING ELSE.I CALL THE GOD HELP U IN WHAT U NEED.AND IF U GOING TO DO SOME THING GOOD THE GOOD WILL BE WITH U IM SUER
Posts: 5 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abrahem
Member # 15207

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abrahem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND FOR THE FRIEND WHO SAID THE MOST OF most Egyptians dreaming of marrying a US or UK citizen .WHY I DONT THINK THAT TRUTH COZ EGYPT HAVE MANY WOMN PRETTY .LOL AND WHY ITS DREAM ITS THING NOT AMPORTANT AND IF U MEET SOME ONE LIKE THAT .THAT NOT MEAN THE MOST HOW U SAID DREAM BY THAT
Posts: 5 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by massenburg2008:
quote:

lol, exactly.

http://www.sandmonkey.org/2008/06/17/those-damn-fowegners/

"they end up usually working as teachers in Language schools that just started a bullshit but overpriced American Diploma program and they needed any foreigner who look like a teacher in order to seem legit to the parents of their students."

I love SandMonkey . . . don't read his blog on a daily basis but I have done so many times . . . may not agree with everything he says, but he does have a way of pulling out of interesting items regarding what is going on in Egypt.

The comments after this post (and read the whole thing not just the small section that was pulled out) are priceless too . . . the blog entry is trying to classify the types of expats who are living in Egypt . . . you might even know someone that fits into his categories.

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com