EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Does the internet save TROLLS from acting out in real time?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does the internet save TROLLS from acting out in real time?
Nov 4
Member # 15888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nov 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they come and go ... some have amazing powers of focus and staying power. some flit about Teh Interwebs Thingy (tm) like gadflies.

their goal, of course, is to get us agitated and feed their need for attention. some prefer to come out guns blazing ... some simply add "quiet" but very provocative comments here and there, sit back and watch the sparks fly. a few seem to simply suffer from a rigidity of thinking which results in being completely unable to see the other person's point of view or express understanding.
(i have an uncle with a brain trauma who has been considered a troll ... he doesn't mean it ... but his actions still disrupt the boards where he acts that way.)

i know how they work. i know they want attention ... or like the arsonist, they want to watch the pretty sparks that ensue.

but why?

what makes a person think that manipulating others is a fun pastime? what makes a person think agitating someone is funny or amusing?

in a way, this seems like a "virtual sociopathy" of sorts. of course, we can stop reading the person and just move on, so the average troll is not very like a DSM IV catalogued sociopath. (hence using quotes around "virtual sociopath")

what do you think?

http://www.blogcatalog.com/discuss/entry/trolls

Posts: 251 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Googling yourself again ? [Big Grin]
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nov 4
Member # 15888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nov 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vader:

Actually I googled this:

"ignoring" drunk mean "trolls" on the internet

Actually I am wondering why there isn't software that can be implemented on a variety of UBB, PHPbb and other forum platforms that will automatically halt, filter postings and user accounts based on trolling behavior.

Than again if this forum had this software most regular ESers wouldn't bother to post because the focus of ES would be on Egypt not cliques and stupid junior high behavior.

Don't feed the trolls, please (fetch, et al)

Fri, 06 May 2005 17:53:58 -0500fennec
R50947
4 years ago
Click if you wish to go to the second page
Bump me.
GNN is not a hate site. The fact of the matter is that there is no moderation so (unless you really push it with direct threats or something) you aren’t going to get banned. The trolls that have been banned from many other sites end up on GNN.
TheFetch has cluttered this thread, so I will bump this thread and edit this post when I have something important to add.
I have collected a few quotes of the trolls, and links to the original posts (I wouldn’t expect or want anyone to just take my word for it) at the end of this post.
Most of the active troll battlers have agreed to stop feeding them. That would include JL, Snark, Shogo, stupidwhiteman, and myself.
We are simply tired of the forum being overrun by racists, and sick of good contributors being driven off, often before they have the chance to realize this is not a hate site. There have been dozens who have explicitly cited the racists as the reason they were leaving, many others, I know, have left quietly for the same reason.
It’s just a new tactic to see if it stops them or slows them down at all. In the least it will let the administrators realize how tired we are of the trolls so we could possibly get that shiny new ignore feature we’ve been hearing about…
Schneibster’s recommendations from another thread:
If it says the name of one of the trolls, don’t read it. If one of the trolls started the thread, don’t post on that thread, and for that matter don’t even click on it. They un-exist. Why waste energy on it, particularly when that energy will only be used against you? You’re not going to convince them of anything, and its a waste of time to try. If the people running the site aren’t doing anything about it, and I can see good reasons why they would/should not, then let the lackwits stew in their own juices. Don’t damage your karma by participating. Etc., etc.
For newbies, the trolls would include but is not limited to thefetch (aka Illumine_At_E) , killuminati, usdissident, COS, monkeysbum, emissary71, toothfairy, lucyditty (and several others).
Thank you in advance.
The next part will be to give you an idea of the insanity we put up with around here…

http://www.gnn.tv/forum/thread.php?id=5066&page=1

One of my fav news sites. Unfortunately strong opinions and biases are more important than critical thinking, reasoning and being informed.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 251 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a matter of fact I know one. A man who was a troll on the board I have been moderating. He was indeed in need of attention because of personal problems, but besides that he was kind of a twisted mind. So, also in real he had problems everywhere and with everyone.
Real rancorous, suspicious and manipulating, so, as twisted he was in real, he was on the board. My conclusion is that they are sick minds, in real, and on the board.
Besides that, when any person is on a board for a longer time, he/she will show his/her real personality now and then. We are not able to play games for a longer time without lose our roles.They can lie, sure they can, but personality will trickle through by times...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I think trolls always get found out eventually! They are incapable of keeping up a persona for a long time. Some are so blatent, they come on as apparent newbies but seem to know everything about the members on a forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just have to wonder do they have a life in the real world [Confused]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh aye, true personalities definately shine through for all to see sooner or later [Big Grin]

[Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2good2Btrue
Member # 15128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2good2Btrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vader:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe its for attention...but some people just like to goof off. not everyone takes the internet seriously and find it fun to mess with people that cant see them just to get laughs.
Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Yes I think trolls always get found out eventually! They are incapable of keeping up a persona for a long time. Some are so blatent, they come on as apparent newbies but seem to know everything about the members on a forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just have to wonder do they have a life in the real world [Confused]

I agree. These types of trolls are simply weak cowards, YAH. They all get found out, sooner or later.
Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Momma Dukes:
maybe its for attention...but some people just like to goof off. not everyone takes the internet seriously and find it fun to mess with people that cant see them just to get laughs.

Laughing at the expense of other people? Because you have managed to fool them into taking you seriously?

Would you say that this type of behavior makes the "troll" feel they are smarter or somehow superior to other people?

That is just sad, I prefer to feel smarter than other people based on actual smarts.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(nothing to see here.. double post)
Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dosnt really matter anyway, its the internet...who cares. its all retarded to me. i can do with or without it. in fact i rarely go on at home cuz well, hehe i gotta life. im just here cuz i get bored at work loool
really i dont know how one can get upset from reading the words of something that some unknown nobody in a sea of billions of people put on some lame ass forum. they dont know you you dont know them so how can u be mad at something that is most likely wrong about u anyway?

be a troll dont be a troll, there more important things in life to figure out than that dumb crap.

my opinion is like, whatever floats ur boat dude. doesnt make a difference in MY life.

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com