EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » At this party..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: At this party..
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..I engaged conversation with some of my students which are mostly all male.
Marriage was the main thing in their minds at this stage of their life.
Turns out that once finished their studies they then look to marry.
Most important things for them are to progress their career, marry and have children.
Their wife must be a "homekeeper"
and "clever" in the kitchen.
She will be taken to his mother for an "interview" where basically his mother will decide if she is fit to marry her son.
She must produce a child within the first year of marriage.
Their wives will be allowed to work but only a few hours as they have to look after the home plus please their husbands.
"2 people can not drive a car, therefore he will being the man, control everything"

These guys had appeared liberal in their views in the class and theatre. At times I was surprised how Western they appeared. Deep down family and cultural traditions still rule whether good or bad.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah now I remember why I didn't choose to marry an Egyptian man. Seriously having fun with one and marrying one are two totally different things!! [Wink]

And you are so right the first impression of these guys is indeed how Western and liberal they are until you dig deeper.

And isn't it amazing how important mother's opinion is? I guess if the first impression isn't the greatest you won't get a second chance. Then again why would you marry into such hell??

I remember my roommate dated an Egyptian guy for over a year and he finally brought her over to his mom (father was deceased). Anyway this visit was the blank horror for her; she never went back there again. His mom simply didn't want that a foreign girl is marrying her beautiful son. They broke up several months later.

~ TL

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
refreshed
Member # 15850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for refreshed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TL, this sounds ideal for you as a housewife with 4 kids under the age of 10 yrs.

Life is Good, why does this shock you? This is very old news. But what a young man wants isn't what he will get. Any guy this age is is full of hot air. His MIL will pulverize his arse within the first year and he'll drop the act in less than 5 yrs.

Posts: 277 | From: between a rock and a hard place | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of these students is dating a girl from the US but has no intention of marrying her.
His family know nothing of her.
He knows he will have to marry an Egyptian.
His family will except only this.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by refreshed:
TL, this sounds ideal for you as a housewife with 4 kids under the age of 10 yrs.

You got a point there but it should show you that not only Egyptians are family oriented.

I couldn't stand the typical Egyptian male behaviour - my way or no way. The other thing was the importance of religion in their lives. Explain this to an atheist!! [Big Grin]

~ TL

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com