EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » marriages

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: marriages
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anybody give me advice whether they consider it more important to a muslim to marry in MOJ or to have an Islamic marriage? Also, advice on when I visit his village and what I can expect.
Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xblueskyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i could be wrong, but im sure islamic marrage is the only important marrage to a muslim, moj is only a paper out of there country, as orfi is for sex, but as i said i could be wrong, but im sure you will get the correct answer. as for advice on going to his village, just make sure you cover your body, be respectfull, and im sure they will love you sherri hunny [Big Grin]
Posts: 426 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fantom
Member # 15949

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fantom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
difference between marriage in MOJ and islamic marriage is the islamic marriage request that the man and woman be muslims and immam documented the marriage , but if the wife have another religion then they go to MOJ

both is documented marriage.
Conditions of marriage in Islam: the witnesses, publicity, dowry,its the same conditions when you marry in MOJ.
my advice to you when visit his village,it's depend on where is his village,but any how wearing decent clothes, be very simple,Respected him front of his family its more important thing

--------------------
the Egyptian phantom

Posts: 39 | From: between Egypt and kuwait | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherribaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so are you saying i have to be muslim for me to marry islamically? I am christian
Posts: 547 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to marry Islamically yes you have to be Muslim and produce a bit of paper to say you are. I am Muslim and was before I met my hubby but dont have a bit of paper saying im Muslim and of course it doesnt say it in my passport, being British. [Roll Eyes] Unless you find a more 'forward thinking' Imam where your hubby lives as really he is allowed to marry a Christian anyway!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
to marry Islamically yes you have to be Muslim and produce a bit of paper to say you are. I am Muslim and was before I met my hubby but dont have a bit of paper saying im Muslim and of course it doesnt say it in my passport, being British. [Roll Eyes] Unless you find a more 'forward thinking' Imam where your hubby lives as really he is allowed to marry a Christian anyway!

ya i was gonna ask a similar question how does someone know if someone is muslim or not??just cas they say they are???what kinda proof do they need to prove they are muslim??

anyone can say they are muslim but are not right???

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes tina they can. Apparently I would have to go to al azhar in Cairo and do my shahadah again, (now almost 7 years later) so I get a bit of paper. Or I could go back to UK and get the place I did my original shahadah to give me a bit of paper, coz of course I am only 'half' a muslim until I have a bit of paper [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaza
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sherribaby:
Can anybody give me advice whether they consider it more important to a muslim to marry in MOJ or to have an Islamic marriage? Also, advice on when I visit his village and what I can expect.

Please define MOJ!
Posts: 1123 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yes tina they can. Apparently I would have to go to al azhar in Cairo and do my shahadah again, (now almost 7 years later) so I get a bit of paper. Or I could go back to UK and get the place I did my original shahadah to give me a bit of paper, coz of course I am only 'half' a muslim until I have a bit of paper [Confused]

so u get somethin like a birth certificate proving yr muslim?? is that how they do it... some kind of record???i know on walids id it says he is muslim...i wonder if the christians in egypt have their religion on their ids as well??
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
his 'village'?

oh gawd.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shrivelleduplawl
Member # 16141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shrivelleduplawl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

WHAT!!!!!!!are you muslim and you say that above what gives you being an exspert on religion of course she can marry ISLAMICALLY with out being a muslim THE QURAN ALLOWS IT the ministry was not around for hussys and western women doing orfi when our blessed prophet was about bless him if only he knew what crap he has brought to it

FREE GAZA FREE GAZA ...free PALESTINE thats more important start fighting for your brother and sisters and be a true musliminah and take arms and kill the JEWS the monkeys of the world They are not JEWS they are Shitaans deciples .

BREAKING NEWS over thousands of JEWS being called back from Egypt to fight HaH!!!!!!
להמליט חזירים

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Well Shrivelledup - Thank you for that!..........
shrivelleduplawl
Member # 16141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shrivelleduplawl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well Shrivelledup - Thank you for that!..........

You is so welcome why dont you want to be a muslim its the best faith on earth it helps you do all the things you want to do what your not allowed to do live happy life and prosper [Big Grin]
FREE GAZA FREE GAZA .

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xblueskyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

i married islamically and i wasnt muslim then, and the certificate is for when you take your shahada, for when you go hajj. a muslim can marry another faith as long as they believe in gods book
Posts: 426 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shrivelleduplawl
Member # 16141

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by xblueskyx:
quote:

i married islamically and i wasnt muslim then, and the certificate is for when you take your shahada, for when you go hajj. a muslim can marry another faith as long as they believe in gods book
Alhumdilillah
REVENGE ON ISRAEL .

xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayisha:

so u get somethin like a birth certificate proving yr muslim?? is that how they do it... some kind of record???i know on walids id it says he is muslim...i wonder if the christians in egypt have their religion on their ids as well?? [/QUOT

Half a muslim?? [Eek!] [Eek!] who told you that?? i have never heard such a thing, you are either a muslim or not, we are all born muslim and from then change our religion. but half a muslim?? once you take your shahada you are a muslim, you dont need a certificate to prove this, you know and allah knows, i have the certificate myslef, but it didn make me less of a muslim without it, or this means half the nation are only half muslim

cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend said she has Islamic marriage and she is not a Muslim. But this marriage is not legal in Finland though. And that affects on many things...
Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Please reread the question!
xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
quote:

whos they???
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

[Confused]
Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
My question was not in relation to applying for visa or anything else.

Just a general enquiry as to what opinions of muslims are in relation to either kind of marriage.

I am a western woman and have muslim guy, he would like us to have an islamic marriage.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't born a muslim! That is an insane rumour!
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

quote:
My question was not in relation to applying for visa or anything else.

I know but just added that comment...when did threads in ES stay in the subject mentioned in the topic [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by shrivelleduplawl:
WHAT!!!!!!!are you muslim and you say that above what gives you being an exspert on religion of course she can marry ISLAMICALLY with out being a muslim THE QURAN ALLOWS IT [/QB]

Then kindly tell the mosques here that! Also tell them that women ARE allowed to pray INSIDE a mosque! [Roll Eyes]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xblueskyx:
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayisha:

so u get somethin like a birth certificate proving yr muslim?? is that how they do it... some kind of record???i know on walids id it says he is muslim...i wonder if the christians in egypt have their religion on their ids as well?? [/QUOT

Half a muslim?? [Eek!] [Eek!] who told you that?? i have never heard such a thing, you are either a muslim or not, we are all born muslim and from then change our religion. but half a muslim?? once you take your shahada you are a muslim, you dont need a certificate to prove this, you know and allah knows, i have the certificate myslef, but it didn make me less of a muslim without it, or this means half the nation are only half muslim

I know! I was gobsmacked, the Imam said this to my hubby, I think the same imam that told his congregation it was haram to marry a westerner......changed his mind when he himself married one though [Roll Eyes]
sherribaby
Member # 15378

Rate Member
Cloudberry - just looking for some enlightenment, no offence meant. [Smile]
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MOJ - Ministry of justice [Smile]
Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The islamic marriage is the important one for a muslim, the MOJ just gives you the papers to make life much easier.

Last year I visited a friend's village and stayed for a few days. I think you will enjoy it if you don't mind a few less creature comforts. I learnt how to bake bread with her mother sat among the ducks and chicken's. They taught me how to milk the cow at which we all ended up in hysterical laughter and her father took me for long walks around the farms. People were very friendly and curious to meet me so I did end up being taken from home to home alot and as usual being stuffed with food. Meals were always with the family sat on the floor, but with fresh food from the farms very good. You will probably find they will go out of their way to make you feel welcome and that you have everything you need. Make sure you dress very conservatively and remember if the farm is in the North it can be very cold this time of year but the Mozzies will still be around.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpilla
Member # 16147

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds lovely Penny.

Sherri - IMO the islamic marriage is the most important thing for a muslim, or it SHOULD be, with family friends being told and it announced at the mosque.

IMO

--------------------
IMO

Posts: 431 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny, that sounds like my kind of thing. I love it even more when the language barrier is high but you still manage to communicate and laugh through the night.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
quote:

The islamic marriage is the important one for a muslim, the MOJ just gives you the papers to make life much easier.

Last year I visited a friend's village and stayed for a few days. I think you will enjoy it if you don't mind a few less creature comforts. I learnt how to bake bread with her mother sat among the ducks and chicken's. They taught me how to milk the cow at which we all ended up in hysterical laughter and her father took me for long walks around the farms. People were very friendly and curious to meet me so I did end up being taken from home to home alot and as usual being stuffed with food. Meals were always with the family sat on the floor, but with fresh food from the farms very good. You will probably find they will go out of their way to make you feel welcome and that you have everything you need. Make sure you dress very conservatively and remember if the farm is in the North it can be very cold this time of year but the Mozzies will still be around.

although this has not been my experience, I have to agree that this ihas to be what the majority of Egyptian life is like here, considering the 80+million pop.

This is in fact the 'real' way of life for most.

It's a shame that here on ES we only hear about the 1% of Egyptian life that is not the norm, with decisions being taken based on that 1%.

Nice story.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
spot on Penny, that is a great description of how real life is here.

--------------------

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
spot on Penny, that is a great description of how real life is here.

It's more of a description of how rural life is, which is what Sherri was trying to get an idea of. City life is very different but still real life. In a way I have the best of both worlds where we live in that its in a village but just outside a city so you can get the best ( and worst) of both. The place I am talking about above was in the Nile Delta so yes its was very representative of what is normal life for a very large percentage of the population.

Ferret the laughter was because I was singing English songs to the Gamoosa while trying to milk her...not sure I can cross the language barrier with a cow [Big Grin]

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com