EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Men and bathing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Men and bathing
roqayya
Member # 16255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roqayya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the U.S., wanting to marry an Egyptian muslim man. I am kind of worried about bathing - do muslim men there keep themselves pretty clean, as compared to american men? How often do they shower? Do they smell odd also (again compared with american men). Sorry for the odd question, thanks.
Posts: 28 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You *are* joking right....
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roqayya
Member # 16255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roqayya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope no joke

--------------------
Alslam Alykom

Posts: 28 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hygiene is a personal thing. It's got nothing to do with where you're from or what religion you practise. If you're so curious ask your bloke how often he goes in the bath and next time you're with him have a good hard sniff in his direction and then you can decide if he smells odd and if he does buy him some aftershave/deodorant/new socks (tick as appropriate)

What a random question!!!!!!!! I think some people could be offended by it as it sounds racist beyond belief, although I'm sure this isn't your intention, at least I hope not!

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the feeling she hasn't met him yet, so she can't exactly give him a sniff.
However, when you are interested in knowing something about someone, I find that it is best to ask them, instead of asking other people about them. The person you want to know about will invariably know more than some stranger. And as was pointed out, hygiene is a personal thing. Different for everyone to some degree.

If he went onto a public board and asked about American women's bathing habits, what would you think? Would you rather he asked you?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by roqayya:
I am in the U.S., wanting to marry an Egyptian muslim man. I am kind of worried about bathing - do muslim men there keep themselves pretty clean, as compared to american men? How often do they shower? Do they smell odd also (again compared with american men). Sorry for the odd question, thanks.

From this we pick up that you havent met him yet in person? Please think very hard what you're doing and dont assume because hes Muslim that he will be marrying you and treating you right for the right reasons.

All the Egyptian men I know keep themselves very clean, mine certainly does, and smells gorgeous all the time!

Read some stories here before you rush off to marry someone you dont know PLEASE! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Aisha I totally agree with you

I'm marrying an Egyptian and he smells lovely too, in fact he has the best grooming habits out of any man I've ever known. A total Metrosexual He also owns more shoes than any man I've ever known but that's a different story.... :-)

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
India
Member # 16104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for India     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Total random and bizarre question....

Anways, the Egyptian guy that I know has amazing hygiene and takes incredible care of himself. I have never known any other guy to be as clean and groomed! I totally agree with Dubaigirl's metrosexual comment [Smile]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we all agree she must have not met him in person yet.If this is like this,many more and even more important questions should arise before considering giving that very serious step.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Culturally stereotyping, Americans are known to overbathe and be a bit fanatical about their daily or morning AND evening showers, even when they're not actually needed.

Maybe you need to explain to your new partner how in your culture, there's a tendency to over do it and hint you may find it odd, etc. rather than ask about his hygiene.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not an odd question at all. You can't blame the girl for wanting to understand something about a culture she is obviously not familiar with. Of course, it is best to just ask him directly, but she obviously has a reason she has not done this yet. That being said, here is my take on the situation.

Islam is a religion that in general principle advocates cleanliness. However, bear in mind, that personal hygiene habits are developed as a direct result of other mitigating factors. Upbringing, personal choice and socioeconomic status - just to name a few. Egypt is a crowded, poluted country that during the summer months is very hot and dusty. Even after a shower it is possible to step outside and after only a few minutes, feel hot, grimy and sweaty as if you haven't showered at all.

Egyptian men (and women) do take great care of their appearance. When I lived in the States I was frequently in the habit of running out to the grocery store in my pajamas, with my hair tied back - no makeup. You would be hard pressed to find an Egyptian who would dare venture out of their house in this condition. Even just to go run an errand Egyptians are dressed to the nines. Clean, well pressed clothes, makeup, hair done, perfume, etc. So have they gone to all this effort without a shower? Probably not.

Poverty is a big problem here and there are many who are living in less than ideal conditions. It is possible to run into people who simply cover themselves with perfume resulting in a very bad smell.

Also, bearing in mind that Egypt is an Islamic country, and the majority of people dress accordingly. The only people you really see wearing shorts or tank tops are the tourists. During the summer (when it is unbearably hot) you will still find most Egyptian women under layers of clothes, scarves and sometimes black abayas. Of course as Americans we look at that as odd and extremely uncomfortable. The result - they sweat more and produce a strong body odor. Oral hygiene is often somewhat lacking in Egypt also.

If you plan to live in Egypt, you cannot avoid the possibility of bumping into the occasional bad smelling person. As far as your fiance is concerned, the only way you will get to know his own personal habits is to see for yourself. After all, he is the only one that should matter to you.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shooky
Member # 14776

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shooky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am a muslim man, i smell like rotten fish. so as my other 3 million brothers. like it or leave it.

But lol at this question. its personal. i have seen many americans that smell like crap. boys and girls lol. thats like me asking does christians eat chicken often?

--------------------

Posts: 506 | From: Some where on the east coast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shooky:
i am a muslim man, i smell like rotten fish. so as my other 3 million brothers. like it or leave it.

But lol at this question. its personal. i have seen many americans that smell like crap. boys and girls lol. thats like me asking does christians eat chicken often?

[Eek!]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok yall let me lay it out for her, ya know me....

despite the stereotypes, arabic men and woman are MILLIONS of times cleaner than american. they wash 5 times a day to pray...they rinse their mouths out after they eat and wash they hands, they LOVE cologne and nice clothes, they love a very clean house and arabic women never have nasty houses, unlike so many american women have, they wash after sex AND clean the sheets, and unlike americans who go to the bathroom and just use a dry piece of tissue and wipe the mess here and there and call your ass 'clean', they all use bidets and if there is no bidets, the keep a cup near the toilet to wash with. also men and women shave the hair from theyre parts to avoid funk.

i been with 2 american men in my life sexually and it was the effing nastiest...you think they were hot and cute and had it going on and all til you saw what their hygiene habits were and needless to say, i didnt go the whole mile with them.
all the arabic men i been with were the cleanest neatest things ever....and they are foxier naked also.

=)

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubai Girl:
Hygiene is a personal thing. It's got nothing to do with where you're from or what religion you practise.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah dude, we take showers every 4 months, and baths on the 2 eids only. What a waste of water I say!

Just use any left over sand paper from house renovations to sand off any layers of dirt, leaves you nice and smooth too!

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean I was supposed to take a bath last Eid too? [Eek!]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, in another post you state:

" I may marry a man in egypt next month. We are both muslim and plan to marry in a mosque there."

So obviously this isn't a case of religious intolerance.

In fact, it sort of (sadly) sounds like a case of newly-converted-muslim born on US soil who never used her passport and is culturally-ignorant.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I had a bath at Christmas so I'm fine till Easter [Razz]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukes:

despite the stereotypes, arabic men and woman are MILLIONS of times cleaner than american. they wash 5 times a day to pray...they rinse their mouths out after they eat and wash they hands, they LOVE cologne and nice clothes, they love a very clean house and arabic women never have nasty houses, unlike so many american women have, they wash after sex AND clean the sheets, and unlike americans who go to the bathroom and just use a dry piece of tissue and wipe the mess here and there and call your ass 'clean', they all use bidets and if there is no bidets, the keep a cup near the toilet to wash with. also men and women shave the hair from theyre parts to avoid funk.

i been with 2 american men in my life sexually and it was the effing nastiest...you think they were hot and cute and had it going on and all til you saw what their hygiene habits were and needless to say, i didnt go the whole mile with them.
all the arabic men i been with were the cleanest neatest things ever....and they are foxier naked also.

=)

Out of curiosity, Momma Dukes, how many times have you visited any part of what is generally agreed upon as countries of "arabic men and women" (or even what you define as "arabic")

I find it amusing that you think because muslims pray 5x a day, that in modern times, this religious habit somehow translates into superior personal hygiene. (Woe, to those dirty christian puritans who you celebrate every thanksgiving who stank to high heavens and refused to bathe at the gentle nudges of the native inhabitants.)

You have clearly never had to endure a prolonged train/bus/metro in different countries, where your mind wandered and perversely compared the smells down the years...(after all, smell is does trigger our strongest memories) ...and thought ah, yes....this country has YET to embrace the wonder of the deodorant stick and in their francophile-induced stubbornness, clings onto the belief dousing oneself with copious amounts of cologne/perfume will somehow defeat one's distinct stink.

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

So how often do you douche?

Do you smell like anchovies?

Remember to sniff your man well when you finally meet, that way you can make a decision based on a solid foundation.

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Well I had a bath at Christmas so I'm fine till Easter [Razz]

But you're a Scot so thats normal [Big Grin]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey crone, We don't believe in wasting water. After all it's in such short supply here [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
True. Thats always puzzled me how an Island surrounded by water has water shortages if it doesnt rain for a week and here in the desert there is no shortage [Confused] which makes Egyptians cleaner [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The water filters/pumps probably break down. Unless you want to drink sea water there's still going to be a shortage of clean water. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
quote:

=)

Out of curiosity, Momma Dukes, how many times have you visited any part of what is generally agreed upon as countries of "arabic men and women" (or even what you define as "arabic")

I find it amusing that you think because muslims pray 5x a day, that in modern times, this religious habit somehow translates into superior personal hygiene. (Woe, to those dirty christian puritans who you celebrate every thanksgiving who stank to high heavens and refused to bathe at the gentle nudges of the native inhabitants.)

You have clearly never had to endure a prolonged train/bus/metro in different countries, where your mind wandered and perversely compared the smells down the years...(after all, smell is does trigger our strongest memories) ...and thought ah, yes....this country has YET to embrace the wonder of the deodorant stick and in their francophile-induced stubbornness, clings onto the belief dousing oneself with copious amounts of cologne/perfume will somehow defeat one's distinct stink.

im comparing the arab men i know living in the states to american men in general. i dont care about the ones living in egypt...i know they can tend to fester and thats why u wont catch me going there cuz im bound to punch someone in the lip if they smell like sh*t and try to sit beside me. i been to egypt, and trust me, i know. i was assuming this person has met her man in her own country....but maybe its just another old lady who snagged another bum from a village.
Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
True. Thats always puzzled me how an Island surrounded by water has water shortages if it doesnt rain for a week and here in the desert there is no shortage [Confused] which makes Egyptians cleaner [Big Grin]

I know we have hose pipe bans within weeks of floods. Madness [Eek!]
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukes:]i dont care about the ones living in egypt...i know they can tend to fester and thats why u wont catch me going there cuz im bound to punch someone in the lip if they smell like sh*t and try to sit beside me. i been to egypt, and trust me, i know. [/QB]
Ah.

Erm, so why are you bothering posting to a forum called egyptsearch then?

*cuz white boyz ain't gonna touch that?* perhaps?

Pathetic.

anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have only been with one Egyptian man but he is by far the cleanest man I have met in my life. Always takes a shower once a day, changes his underwear everyday, puts on cologne, combs his hair, and takes good care of his appearances. I can't complain about him in this department. He probably has something to complain about in me however hehehe... last time I shaved my legs was at Christmas! [Smile]
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shooky
Member # 14776

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shooky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um when i stay over my gf's house she always says she loves me scent and she loves to smell my scent on her sheets the next day. is that a good thing

--------------------

Posts: 506 | From: Some where on the east coast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Not always, depends on what your "scent" smells like, she might like dog anus for all we know. [Razz]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
um when i stay over my gf's house she always says she loves me scent and she loves to smell my scent on her sheets the next day. is that a good thing

Still remember your virgin whinings when you arrive to this board,Shooky,but now you've even gotten all raunchy!!! [Big Grin]
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes you think you are ready to marry the man if you don't even know how clean he is and what he smells like?!

Would you marry an American man without knowing that basic information first?
What is it about these men that make women lose their heads and want to rush to marriage after a few nice msn conversations?

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roqayya
Member # 16255

Rate Member
Wow....I am 17, met this man online 4 months ago and am planning to check him out with my mother next month. I have never been out of the country before, and there are certain things I am curious about regarding egypt and the middle east. I posted on this board to get a clue as to habits there, and I just get sarcastic, judgemental answers for the most part. Thanks a lot (some sarcasm in return). But true thanks to those who actually helped by giving a sincere answer. You are the ones I care about hearing from.
Shooky
Member # 14776

Rate Member
i think you should finish high school and college first then worry about marriage. kinda crazy rnt you

--------------------

Shooky
Member # 14776

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:

Still remember your virgin whinings when you arrive to this board,Shooky,but now you've even gotten all raunchy!!! [Big Grin]
ya i remember [Smile]
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In fact, it sort of (sadly) sounds like a case of newly-converted-muslim born on US soil who never used her passport and is culturally-ignorant.

Give the girl a break. Culturally-ignorant? Of course she doesn't know anything about Egypt. How could she - she has never been there. But ignorance does not come from asking a question. It comes from NOT ASKING.

At least she is attempting to educate herself, is open minded and curious.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

She should still be asking her intended husband these questions instead of a bunch of strangers.
If she can't discuss this simple of a subject with him, what else aren't they discussing?

There is nothing wrong with being curious, or wanting to learn, but some common sense and open communication with those are you supposed to be close with would help alot.

Tibe-at-work
Member # 14907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe-at-work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
quote:

Give the girl a break. Culturally-ignorant? Of course she doesn't know anything about Egypt. How could she - she has never been there. But ignorance does not come from asking a question. It comes from NOT ASKING.

Very good answer.
Posts: 281 | From: Denmark | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It's more about common sense which she obviously lacks completely. Hence in one sentence she's able to offend one half of a nation.

"I am kind of worried about bathing - do muslim men there keep themselves pretty clean, as compared to american men?"

Roqayya just come to Egypt and get your fair share of sniffs. You haven't experienced smell yet (dunno with what you have been hanging out in the past to come to such a judgement anyway). [Confused]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least she is attempting to educate herself, is open minded and curious. [/QB][/QUOTE]

She should still be educating herself at school and not go and get married at 17 to some egyptian whom she has never even met.
She has never been outside of USA, she should travel and see the world and learn about different cultures and the smells.
Start with Egypt but don't get married.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe-at-work
Member # 14907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe-at-work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:

She should still be educating herself at school and not go and get married at 17 to some egyptian whom she has never even met.
She has never been outside of USA, she should travel and see the world and learn about different cultures and the smells.
Start with Egypt but don't get married. [/QB][/QUOTE]

WOOOOW she is 17??? that detail slipped my eye - STAY HOME GIRL GO TO SCHOOL AND FIND YOURSELF A COLLEGEDUDE TO HANG AROUND INSTED!!!!!!!!

Listen to Mama Mimmi and Mama Tibe! [Big Grin]

Posts: 281 | From: Denmark | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tibe-at-work:
STAY HOME GIRL GO TO SCHOOL AND FIND YOURSELF A COLLEGEDUDE TO HANG AROUND INSTED

A CLEAN one!!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
quote:

So how often do you douche?

Do you smell like anchovies?

Remember to sniff your man well when you finally meet, that way you can make a decision based on a solid foundation.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

=)

[Big Grin]

Can't argue with that mama [Wink]

I saw that Doctor Oz guy on Oprah last night and they were talking bidets ( shatafa ) he said that if you had a bit of 'poo' on your hand would you wipe it off using just tissue or would you wash it with water ?

I have to say I never thought of it like that but he did have a point.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

To start to know or learn about a country you donīt have to go there.One only needs the interest,will and compromise to learn.What are books for?,and even easier today,the internet is not there only to chat but it serves to study,too.
Before i visited Egypt the first time on 1998 i already knew quite some. [Cool]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went in 1994 to Egypt for the first time (which was my first trip abroad ever and all by myself) and yes I read a couple of travel books about Egypt before arriving (there was no internet at that time) BUT ....

to tell you the truth - books tell you only so much. The reality hit me really hard, culture shock 110% but I survived it and loved it so much there that I decided to stay way longer than originally planned.

7up
Member # 16266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7up     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
americans are taught to shower everyday and wash their hair everyday. i donno if egyptian men are taught this
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

to tell you the truth - books tell you only so much. The reality hit me really hard, culture shock 110%

The guide books - even the ones targeted at ex-pats - do not do a good job to prepare you for real life in Egypt. That is exactly the reason I am writing my own book. An uncensored version of what it is really like here.
Shooky
Member # 14776

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 7up:
americans are taught to shower everyday and wash their hair everyday. i donno if egyptian men are taught this

I certainly wasnt taught this as a child and so most egyptians i think. guess its because you get dirty as soon as you step outside any ways [Big Grin] . but i am more american than egyptian any ways.. still it all depends on the person! not where hes from
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com