EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Who said getting married in Egypt was easy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who said getting married in Egypt was easy?
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I'd share my story regarding my attempts to get married in Cairo.....It's been a bloody nightmare so far....

My husband to be is Egyptian, I am British. I live in Dubai so at the end of last year I went to the British Embassy in Dubai and told them I am getting married in Cairo in April tell me what I have to do?

They said I had to apply for a notice of marriage which would be pinned to their noticeboard for 21 days and at the end of that period I would be issued with a no impediment certificate which they would send by email to the British Embassy in Cairo to show there were no objections. They told me it was fine for my father in law to collect this on my behalf and would include this information on the email.

I applied for the no impediment in the first week in March as it's only valid for two months. The Embassy told me that the birth certificate I had was no good, it needed to be the long version and they couldn't issue anything without it. So I had to apply to the UK for a replacement Birth Cert and pay to have it couriered here quickly.... At the end of the 21 days which was last Thursday I went to the embassy to finalise it and they said an email had been sent to Cairo Embassy confirming, my father in law went to the Embassy and they told him no, she has to collect it herself. I had to wait until Sunday when the British Embassy reopened to query it with them and they said, sorry if Cairo want you to collect in person then that's what you have to do.

We've got more than 150 people coming to our wedding next month including family and friends of mine from UK and everything has already been planned and booked I can't afford any changes or naything to go wrong so I flew to Cairo first thing this morning by myself to sort this out. I landed at 12 noon and then had a mad dash to get to the Embassy downtown before it closes at 1pm

When I got there the girl explained that everything I have done so far has been a waste of time. The British Embassy in Dubai has totally given me the wrong information. You don't need to get a no impediment to marry in Egypt. All I have to do is get a notice of marriage, which was a case of filling out a form paying 700Le and being told to come back tomorrow to get it stamped at the MOJ

To say I am furious is an understatement. I have had to take the remainder of this week off work so i could come here to sort this,out. I wont get paid as Im using all my annual leave to take a month off for the wedding. I've paid the equivalent to 50 GBP for a stupid certificate thats no good. I had to pay for a birth certificate that the Egyptian Embassy didnt even need to see (the original was sufficient)

I am back in Cairo anyway on the 15th to make the final arrangements and had I known all this I could have just done it when I arrive then.

I thought it was going to be a simple straightforward process. Ha!

I have the email that the Embassy in Dubai sent to the Embassy here as they Ccd me. I dont know whether i should take it further or just leave it? I have enough stress to deal with right now!!!

I have so much to do and sort out but i feel like im in limbo I am stuck in Cairo until Friday sleeping in my boyfriends childhood bedroom which is a bit weird! He is normally the communicator between his parents and me as their English isnt great and my arabic is terrible. But he's in Dubai so we are muddling through as best we can. I asked for a cup of coffee earlier but i said ahwal instead of ahwa which means to be crosseyed!!!!!

Anyway, very long mail but i just needed to vent my frustration and just warn anybody out there getting married here to doublecheck as i thought the info i had been given was correct seeing as it came from a government office!

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh gosh I hope everything works quickly out for you guys so you can get hitched. When is the special day??

Many many congrats in advance!! [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awww sweety come to usa and get married all u need is an id and birth certificate...

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear you are having all this stress DG, it's the last thing you need!!!!! It must be maddening especially when it was the Dubai embassy giving you the wrong info. I'm sure you'll get it sorted this week and You will be able to relax and enjoy your big day. All the best to you. [Smile]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
26th April....I wanted a low key wedding originally but he has a huge huge family so now I'm having a circus :-)

It's been one long drama...I broke my foot in January and I just got the cast removed a few weeks ago. I still can't walk in anything other than flat shoes without crippling pain and I gained weight from being stuck on my bum for 2 months...but on the plus side im marrying the worlds most wonderful man and get this he got me a residence visa so i can live in the UAE!!!! That's got to be a first? :-)

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey DG... all the fun of the fair eh [Big Grin]

Lol @ crosseyed [Wink]

Hope your time in Cairo goes smoothly, if you fancy a coffee on Thurs let me know. I will be in City Stars [Big Grin]

xx

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dubai Girl, I also wish you all the best! Such a joyful day requires so much running around? BUT you say your man is well worth it!! [Smile]

Ohhh, there are two DG's now? (desertgirl and Dubai Girl) [Big Grin] (j/k)

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do know I am gonna crash he wedding [Big Grin]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Crash away.....:-)
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Oh, I cannot wait. Is it +1?
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Feel free to bring your +1
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
[Big Grin]

If you throw a bouquet can you throw it the opposite direction to me though please [Wink]

I am so happy for you guys you know.. I do love a happy story [Big Grin]

Mushy Ferret [Wink]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you are having such a hard time. It went so smoothly for me - maybe I was just lucky. I usually suffer from Murphy's Law.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
[Big Grin]

Another happy story [Big Grin]

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sucks about the stress, but great news about the upcoming huge wedding. I expect to see loads of pictures of that day on facebook [Big Grin]

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
[Big Grin]

Another happy story [Big Grin]

but i thought all egyptian men sucked//... mmm where is that nutcase at anyways...
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slewth
Member # 16166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slewth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Dubai Girl...I wish you and your future hubby lots of happiness and a wonderful life!
Posts: 199 | From: ...under the radar.... | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Thankyou Everyone for your kind words...WK I will definitely be plastering my pics on facebook and I will post a couple on here too :-)
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to see some happy wedding pics and know everything went well.

All the best for April 26!! [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com