EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Marriage at the MOJ

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marriage at the MOJ
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm back in Cairo for my wedding next week [Big Grin]

I went to the ministry of Justice Yesterday to sort out the legal side of things, such a charming building....lol. It make me remember the poster whose name I forget...she came on here asking about the MOJ and was going to wear her wedding dress and she was taking a photographer with her, everyone who replied was telling her not to bother and to wear jeans instead.

Wonder how those photos turned out?

I wore my jeans...the camera did not attend the ceremony [Big Grin]

So I did all my legal bits signing papers that were all in arabic, stamping my fingerprint etc

Sam then asked me if I wanted any conditions putting in the marriage. I was not prepared for this question so my mind was totally blank...

He suggested 2 conditions

1 That I can travel without his permission. (so does this mean if this wasn't mentioned in the contract I can't travel without his permission?)

2 I can continue to work

Is this 1865 or something? I have travelled the world on my own and I have spent the last 8 years working my way up the career ladder and im not finished yet....so does this mean if my husband did not want me to work or travel then thats that? [Mad]

Im talking hypothetically as he has no problem with me doing either. Also we live in Dubai and have no plans to move to Cairo just yet so are these rules only applicable in Egypt.

I find it very bizarre that you can have clauses like this in this day and age. What's the point in me having the right to vote if im not allowed to leave the house?

I'm curious to know from those of you who married in Egypt whether you have these conditions in your marriage contract and whether you added any additional ones?

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not have any conditions put on my marriage contract. Actually, I don't even remember being asked. I personally was offended by the section about the amount of the "dowry" and my husband and I agreed to put the sum of 1 Egyptian pound on the contract simply because there had to be some amount listed.

I certainly don't need someone to give me permission to travel or work. I agree with you that it is bizarre and archaic. But it's the price we pay for getting married in Egypt...as a woman you feel like a second class citizen.

I was the one who got married at the MOJ in my jeans. While I was there I saw a woman (I believe she was Phillipino) in a spectacular dress with a professional photographer in tow. I myself thought it was funny, but having been a wedding photographer myself, I know it's possible to take lovely pictures anywhere.

It was quite an interesting experience. Glad to hear everything went smoothly for you.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any conditions on mine.I also married in jeans. My friend, before I got married asked me what kind of dress I was getting, what kind of flowers etc etc. I had a hard job explaining that it just isn't like that there [Frown] But I had to promise her I would be wearing my best pair of jeans [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
married in jeans also . ohhh how romantic it was at the moj, smoke filled room , people rushing in and out of the room we were in, noisy as hell and before you knew , we were married in like what? ill say 5 mins.didnt really bother me too much . it was still exciting , but the honeymoon was the best. we first dressed up to the tee and all his friends took us out , then off to hurghada for the honeymoon . now thats what i call a great day [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dolphin redsea:
married in jeans also . ohhh how romantic it was at the moj, smoke filled room , people rushing in and out of the room we were in, noisy as hell and before you knew , we were married in like what? ill say 5 mins.didnt really bother me too much . it was still exciting , but the honeymoon was the best. we first dressed up to the tee and all his friends took us out , then off to hurghada for the honeymoon . now thats what i call a great day [Razz] [Big Grin]

I thought the guys coming around offering coffee or tea was a nice touch though. [Smile]
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
biffy
Member # 15494

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for biffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No conditions in mine either, sure have thought of a few since though.lol. Building reminded me of something out of 80's Kojak program er herm for those old enough to remember it. dark and dingy and show them a fiver they will get u to the front of queue. If you carnt find an ashtray dont worry just use the floor like everyone else does.
Posts: 63 | From: cheshire | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conditions I've heard of (but these weren't foreigner/egyptian marriages) center around "if" something should go wrong and there's a divorce - expediting divorce for the woman without foregoing her mahr, custody of children under 18 to the mother, being able to travel with underage child, etc
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd put a condition that you can travel with children abroad (when hubby is not with you).
Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Egyptian couple can have a zillion different conditions, whatever you want and whatever is not against Egyptian law. Funniest I heard was that the wife has to prepare him meat X times a week. Also heard that there could be stated how much he gives her weekly or monthly household allowance - I can imagine in some cases this is very handy, later on you don't need to fight about this (it is also said to be one of the biggest reasons for marital disputes, money I mean). But considering inflation etc I guess the amount would be outdated quite soon.

But most of those conditions seem unnecessary for an Egyptian/a foreigner couple.

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have any conditions stipulated in my marriage contract and I wore jeans.
Posts: 319 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rashaaa
Member # 15206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rashaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by biffy:
No conditions in mine either, sure have thought of a few since though.lol. Building reminded me of something out of 80's Kojak program er herm for those old enough to remember it. dark and dingy and show them a fiver they will get u to the front of queue. If you carnt find an ashtray dont worry just use the floor like everyone else does.

LOL @ Bldg comment. I agree Biffy - it was sooo 80's lol :-). But the tea and pop and cappucino service was quick [Smile] . I just couldnt' believe how many workers (men) were just sitting at the entrance doing nothing...
Posts: 385 | From: In my hayati's heart and thoughts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dubai Girl:

I went to the ministry of Justice Yesterday to sort out the legal side of things, such a charming building....lol. It make me remember the poster whose name I forget...she came on here asking about the MOJ and was going to wear her wedding dress and she was taking a photographer with her, everyone who replied was telling her not to bother and to wear jeans instead.

So I did all my legal bits signing papers that were all in arabic, stamping my fingerprint etc

Sam then asked me if I wanted any conditions putting in the marriage. I was not prepared for this question so my mind was totally blank...

1 That I can travel without his permission. (so does this mean if this wasn't mentioned in the contract I can't travel without his permission?)

2 I can continue to work

Is this 1865 or something? I have travelled the world on my own and I have spent the last 8 years working my way up the career ladder and im not finished yet....so does this mean if my husband did not want me to work or travel then thats that? [Mad]

Im talking hypothetically as he has no problem with me doing either. Also we live in Dubai and have no plans to move to Cairo just yet so are these rules only applicable in Egypt.

I find it very bizarre that you can have clauses like this in this day and age. What's the point in me having the right to vote if im not allowed to leave the house?

I'm curious to know from those of you who married in Egypt whether you have these conditions in your marriage contract and whether you added any additional ones?

you wore jeans
to your wedding?
i mean i know it was just a simple ceremony but its the principle...its STILL a wedding, and didnt u wanna look pretty and fresh for your new husband?

no way dood!

anyway,

those are wonderful conditions...

dont need his permission to leave so he can kick u out anytime he wants even over the phone...

and

you can keep working...well how else are u gonna feed him?

its shocking how fast he came up with those 2 conditions...he really put a lot of thought into a possible future divorce didnt he? he might as well whipped out a pre nup!
usually guys hope and pray the woman dont want any conditions...hes quite convenient isnt he?
loool

rots a ruck

omg i cannt bear reading anymore of these stories.
am i the only one not living in lala land?!

again like i say to the others...be careful man.

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukes:

Isn't lala land the place where you screw random guys and then tell everyone about it in more than intimate details online?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
quote:

Isn't lala land the place where you screw random guys and then tell everyone about it in more than intimate details online?
you go girl Ministry of Common Sense
[Big Grin]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
you wore jeans
to your wedding?
i mean i know it was just a simple ceremony but its the principle...its STILL a wedding, and didnt u wanna look pretty and fresh for your new husband?

Did you not read her posts? Or is it a lack of understanding how most Egyptian marriages work. This was just the signing of the contract, many Egyptians don't consider the proper marriage until the big party... which she will be having, a huge party by the sounds of it.

quote:

You, lala land? Oh of course not. You only go for any middle eastern that winks your way, then believe his declarations of love after five minutes, and then inform us all how you have been thinking about marriage and children (aren't we the lucky audience). And when he does leave you, usually a week later, you make stalemates like: "He wasn't cheating on me, he was cheating on her"... No no, that's not lala land at all.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dubai Girl:

2 I can continue to work

you wore jeans
to your wedding?

no way dood!

anyway,

dont need his permission to leave so he can kick u out anytime he wants even over the phone...

and

its shocking how fast he came up with those 2 conditions...he really put a lot of thought into a possible future divorce didnt he? he might as well whipped out a pre nup!
usually guys hope and pray the woman dont want any conditions...hes quite convenient isnt he?
loool

rots a ruck

LOL at Momma Dukes! It wasn't my bloody wedding!

I'm having my wedding in the Church next Sunday and I've hired out a posh hotel in Cairo and I'm having my reception in it's garden...It's full on, dress, cake, 150 guests, the works so thanks for the advice but you've got it waaay wrong....on that and every other point you just made

The MOJ is the legal process that everybody has to go through

and PPS You as far as I can see are living in a dream land....Cuckoo [Big Grin]

Clearly you are so insane you think you're sane?

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

and

loool

They cant win either way can they?

If he hadnt suggested those things then the law in Egypt would stand IN Egypt so then you would have said she was stupid for not thinking that he could stop her leaving the country or working or even going out the house if he became a fanatic. He has allowed...for want of a better word as im tired....her her freedom to come and go as she pleases and to work if she wishes, which some dont get the priviledge of if they discover they married an arse later on. Seems he is Egyptian = is has to be an arse sooner or later which ever way he turns its just a matter of time. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rashaaa
Member # 15206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rashaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Momma Dukes,

speaking as someone actually MARRIED happily to an Egyptian, why do you insist on slagging and trying to put down those of us who have actually chosen decent people in our lives???

Week by week I see you on here, going from one drama bit to the next and really at the end of it all...you are right back where you started...alone and single etc...

So many Good people have given you a load of advice, and really now, I am wondering if you just like to read your own cantor as it would appear you have no interest in truly changing and ameliorating your life....

Newsflash..not every Arab (or Egyptian) is a scumbag, and not every Arab or Egyptian is riftraft that you consort with... Try playing another tune as this one has more than worse itself out.

Posts: 385 | From: In my hayati's heart and thoughts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly !!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I had conditions put in my marriage contract.
Travelling, free to leave on my own, if we had children and there was an issue, I am able to leave with them if they want to come. Dowry of course the home shall be mine and my kids, and the ability to get out of the marriage if a second wife was brought into the picture.
I have supported forigners from other countries in similar circumstances to the ones above who have had issues. If they are in your marriage contract, I have no issues. The marriage contract in egypt is legally binding, so any clause missing you will have no rights.
Generally all works out ok, but just as any european marriage, you never know how things may change. I totally agree with the clause bit in contracts, it protects both parties and is fair.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malak:
if we had children and there was an issue, I am able to leave with them if they want to come.

Your husband will have the last word if he will allow or not that your children can leave Egypt regardless of what's written in the contract.

I hope it will never come to this point.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually thats not true, but as you know more than me.... I'll let that go.
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malak:
Actually thats not true, but as you know more than me.... I'll let that go.

Why such a snappy response??

I am just telling you your contract won't be worth the ink and the paper it was written on when it comes to divorce. It's Egypt and you are a khawaga and you will always be.

I've been hanging out with German diplomats back in the 90's when I lived in Cairo and boy they were telling me drama stories of women from my country fighting to leave with their children without any chance. And then there was one who went successfully through the desert with her child (although she received some help to accomplish that).

And I met this African girl back in Hurghada a few years ago who was married to an Egyptian. Their marriage was in pieces and she was free to leave - but without the little daughter. He refused that she can go and visit her family back in her country with the daughter cause he feared they wouldn't come back. She asked me for help as her own embassy couldn't do anything for them. I couldn't help her. [Frown]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
not everyone gets a divorce from these egy.
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are a foreigner married to an Egyptian, regardless what it says in your "contract" of marriage, you can leave as you like. If you have a passport from another country, your husband CAN NOT hold you or make you stay. Having children together, now that is a whole different issue.

AND it would be kind of silly for an Egyptian (who should know that information) to even mention it to go into a contract.

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:
If you are a foreigner married to an Egyptian, regardless what it says in your "contract" of marriage, you can leave as you like. If you have a passport from another country, your husband CAN NOT hold you or make you stay. Having children together, now that is a whole different issue.

AND it would be kind of silly for an Egyptian (who should know that information) to even mention it to go into a contract.

so so true
[Smile]

Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was "married" at MOJ and wore a very nice pale yellow linen skirt, heels, a green linen halter and spanish mantilla over my shoulders, Himself wore linen trou and a beautiful sky blue shirt (we looked like Egypt baby). It was 200 degrees in that tiny elevator going up, and another 100 more in that infernal hallway. (note, heels for hours not so fun) I remember leaning against the windowsill and smoking cigarettes as we waited our turn in the small room. It was so dizzying. The young couples, the obvious intermarriages, and then oblivious tourist girls and their tight bodied brown men. They took their time and in the end, we were HAPPY to exchange our promises in front of a total stranger, and ran across the square for some sugar cane juice right after while they verified our paperwork. We also had a ceremony afterwards of a more traditional manner, but it was that hot day, in that airless hallway listening to the cacophony of voices, that I truly felt married to Khaled.

No matter what our outcome. The MOJ will always be a little romantic for me.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shalamar
Member # 16507

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shalamar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at the moment i have the orfi marriage -hope to eventually seal everything at MOJin Dec with big party- im wondering tho what clauses are different on either of the contracts ?as i have the orfi is the MOJ giving you more of a legal status with regards your children dowry etc im sorry if i sound dim but i havnt investigated the MOJ yet -

--------------------
tilly
"I can make you feel good" -shalamar
Women dont have hot flushes they just have power surges"

Posts: 131 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shalamar, the MOJ marriage is as legal as a UK marriage. You can register it in UK if you wish for the purpose of obtaining copies of the marriage certificate. You put what YOU want in the contract. It makes your marriage fully legal in Egypt, UK and the rest of the world, Orfi is only for Egypt.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shalamar
Member # 16507

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shalamar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thankyou i will have to have a good think what i want in contract then -i feel that i would be a little happier with the MOJ the orfi is only for the place its drawn up to- like luxor if in cairo then its obsolete? so many rules and laws that make no sense sometimes.

--------------------
tilly
"I can make you feel good" -shalamar
Women dont have hot flushes they just have power surges"

Posts: 131 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
like luxor if in cairo then its obsolete?
I don't think that is true. I got my orfi in Luxor, and have used it in Cairo to share a flat. However, other than allow you to stay together (and even then many hotels don't accept them), orfi's really are not worth much, and don't give you rights of a wife. They are a great thing to use to really get to know your guy, before making the much bigger commitment of an MOJ marriage. Although, some women do use their orfi’s as the marriage certificate, for practical/financial reasons.
Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shalamar:
at the moment i have the orfi marriage -hope to eventually seal everything at MOJin Dec with big party- im wondering tho what clauses are different on either of the contracts ?as i have the orfi is the MOJ giving you more of a legal status with regards your children dowry etc im sorry if i sound dim but i havnt investigated the MOJ yet -

If you get your orfi registered in court, then it can become a legal marriage in Egypt (and any other country that allows polygamy). If you go to the MOJ, it's legal everywhere in the world (as one of the conditions of the MOJ is to verify both parties are single to marry).
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com