EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Want to send a gift to Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to send a gift to Cairo
LiteBright
Member # 16622

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiteBright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the U.S. and I have a friend in Cairo who will be having a baby soon. I wanted to send her a gift before she has the baby.

In the U.S. I would normally get a gift certificate for Target or Walmart, or mail some clothes.

I don't know of any place in Cairo I could buy a gift certificate over the internet and I am not sure if I trust sending something in the mail.

If I have to, I will just send money through Western Union. Any ideas????

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Western Union might be the best idea. Many banks in Cairo also receive money from MoneyGram.

If you try to buy a gift and have it shipped she will have to pay a customs fee, which is sometimes as expensive, if not more than the gift itself. Plus you run the risk of having things lost or stolen.

Gift certificates and gift cards have not really caught on here like they have in the States.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiteBright
Member # 16622

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiteBright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. I didn't even think about the customs fees. I've looked and looked, --and now I know for sure.
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last month before i left i sent walids sister alot of baby clothes and phoo blanket and some baby shoes and teething rings etc.. and she ot them just fine. and she had a baby boy mohmed... i am so excited.. i am waiting for pivs.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I paid to receive a silver necklace at christmas, the cost of the fee depends on the value of the content.

I have also had things sent for my birthday in March that never arrived.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
I paid to receive a silver necklace at christmas, the cost of the fee depends on the value of the content.

I have also had things sent for my birthday in March that never arrived.

I sent some sliver earings and 1 paperback book to a family I had stayed with in Cairo as a thank you gift. The customs fee that they assessed was 280 LE which was more than I had paid for the stuff to begin with. It is not only about the value you declare on the customs form - it is about what they determine the value to be - which is sometimes more than the gift is worth. It is also rude to send a gift to someone and they have to pay to get it.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, my gift had been opened up and examined...

I wasn't happy paying for a gift I did not want lol...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiteBright
Member # 16622

Rate Member
Too bad there is not a place to buy things on the internet in Cairo that will ship them.

I wish I could send baby clothes or something, but money is still good to have when you are having a baby. It may be much simpler for everyone too (I hope).

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by LiteBright:
Too bad there is not a place to buy things on the internet in Cairo that will ship them.

I wish I could send baby clothes or something, but money is still good to have when you are having a baby. It may be much simpler for everyone too (I hope).

Well you could go to this web site and order her some food. They will deliver it to her door. Food is a good thing to have when you have a baby, too! [Big Grin]
LiteBright
Member # 16622

Rate Member
The food website is very good. Thanks. Made me hungry just looking at it (10,000 km away). Do you know the cost for delivery? The web site does not say.
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
The food website is very good. Thanks. Made me hungry just looking at it (10,000 km away). Do you know the cost for delivery? The web site does not say.

We called about it yesterday and were told the delivery fee is 5 LE. But not sure if that is only for delivery within Maadi or if they go anywhere in Cairo.

Went there a few nights ago and they have the best cheese in all of Egypt. Also the ground beef looks by far better than anything I have seen in the grocery store.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
And if I made you hungry with the other web site then you can go on this one and order some food, too. They also deliver:
http://otlob.com/

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:

Just set up an account on their website. They deliver anywhere in Cairo for 5 LE. Alex and North Coast 25 LE. Apparently they deliver all over Egypt.
LiteBright
Member # 16622

Rate Member
gourmetegypt.com looks great and 5 LE is even better (if it is for anywhere in Cairo). Thanks for calling and finding out. Too bad they can't deliver to the U.S. too!
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
The place is great. They have Australian beef, Maine Lobster, Norwegian Salmon Steaks, peeled butterfly shrimp...

The prices are very reasonable, too. We have become regular customers.

Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LiteBright - Do you know anyone that is planning on going to Egypt in the future, perhaps they could take the gift for you [Smile] I am sure any fellow ESers from the USA wouldn't mind, just don't wrap the gift so they know what they are taking on your behalf!
Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I have no idea how this sending gifts works and what exactly the people who you are sending too have to pay for, since you have paid the cost at your end. I once sent old wedding and home magazines to a friend in Cairo and she was charged 110 egp by the postman. My advice is send if you know the people who receive it can afford to pay to get it. If not, dont bother. Also Miss Sharms idea of sending it out with someone is a better solution.
Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiteBright
Member # 16622

Rate Member
I think for now Western Union may be least complicated with the most flexibility for everyone, though I really do like gourmetegypt.

I don't know anyone going to Egypt anytime soon, but I sure wish I could use it as an excuse to go visit myself!

Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you ask the question on here if anyone from near to your city is going soon.....I am sure they would only be too happy to help [Smile]
Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com