EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Why things go wrong?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why things go wrong?
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. No personal experiences here, but i had a long discussion the other night with a very good friend who is male, Egyptian, pretty smart and well travelled.
Over the years, he's formed the opinion that one reason many Euro/Egy relationships fall apart [I'm not talking about USA as he's never been there] is because women from Europe, when they fall for a guy, behave very much like Egyptian men do. They are deeply affectionate, romantic, and to an Egyptian, wildly exciting.
Egyptian girls on the other hand are very reserved, even years into a relationship, they are likely to behave pretty coyly [Yeah, probably womanly wiles, who knows?]and insist on being continuously 'wooed' for her favours.

Anyway, with a foreign woman, after a period of months or years, the ardour dies off a bit and quite a few Egyptians can't deal with this 'so whattish' attitude; [compared to the passion at the start] they feel rejected a bit.
They don't want a best mate, they want a "WOMAN". best mates are MEN.
Culture stuff. He wasn't suggesting that 'our' way is wrong, nor that foreign ladies 'let themselves go', just that Egyptian men are a bit insecure unless they're reminded occasionally [or often actually!] that 'he's your MAN'.
And the steady decline of all that early passion is a troubling experience apparently.

I know from experience that women from my culture ARE like this, it's accepted, it doesn't reflect on the strength of the relationship, it's just how we are. We generally have other interests, careers, friends etc, and are also a lot more culturally independent, and both sexes accept that the heat dies off a bit over time.

Don't any of you girls start thinking you need to modify your behaviour, [or start jumping on the bed dressed as a belly dancer to massage his ego after 5 years of marriage] but maybe my friend has a point.

Oooh I'm almost tempted to go find myself a man and test the theory. ... or maybe not....

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:
Egyptian men are a bit insecure

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a generality I think a lot of men miss the romance of early marriage/relationship. That is a man/woman thing as well, men want romance and sexy and women want a relationship and companionship. Both sides have to compromise and met each others needs.

I do agree men in Egypt are a bit insecure but maybe that is the result of living in a police state. Domestic tyrants probably also come about for the same reason. Having little control in your life day to day at least at home you can be the boss.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was with my old man for over 25 years, and when things got a bit stale, we'd sometimes go separately to a bar or club, and he'd come in and 'pick me up' [his idea. hilarious. Once he almost got attacked by a stranger who'd been planning to offer me a drink!]
And then we'd go home together .... for a cup of coffee and a Hobnob. Hmmm Englishmen, great romantics.
Miss him.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that, sounds like fun

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that men and women also have different expectations towards each other especially as the relationship develops.
After kids the woman demands more I think, wants a provider and protector and not necessarily a lover.
Men just want the woman they marry. [Wink]

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that stereotyping Egyptian women to be 'reserved' is a wildly incorrect statement.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
I think that men and women also have different expectations towards each other especially as the relationship develops.
After kids the woman demands more I think, wants a provider and protector and not necessarily a lover.
Men just want the woman they marry. [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I think that stereotyping Egyptian women to be 'reserved' is a wildly incorrect statement.

Very true, all the Egyptian women I know are quite the opposite.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:

Indeed. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com