EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » my egyptian man, money and premaritial custums (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: my egyptian man, money and premaritial custums
dollydaydream
Member # 18104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dollydaydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I am new here. I came accross this form when i googled marriage in egypt and of course some of the posts have made me think twice about marrieing my egyptian fiance.
I currently live in London but am engaged to an egyptian man and i want to move to cairo to be with him, actualley I wanted to move to cairo before i met him because i am fed up of london but I am not sure what to think. He has a good job for english standards but when i asked him how much his salary was i was shocked when he told me 600 le a month that seems like nothing, considering the price of things in cairo. 24 le for hairspray, 50le for a taxi from mohadseen to city stars, 7 le for one litre juice etc.
well when i told him i didnt feel comfortable staying in cairo on my own he brought me to stay in with his family which i realy apreciated and they are lovely although very strict muslim wich i am ok with as i studied isalm before. WELL it got too much seeing him and wanting to hold his hand and sneeking quick kisses when they were out of the room so i decided to rent an apartment and i assumed that he would stay with me in the apartment but he did not. He said that it is the law he is not allowed to becuase we are not married so he visted me everyday for an hour or two after work. the thing is he kept saying he had to give the doorman l00 le everyday and also 100le for the driver who was the intermediary in finding the apartment so that they would keep quiet because its against the law for him to be visiting a single women. I payed this because obviosly on his wages he doesnt have it. So he sid i shold go back to stay with his family as he doesnt like me to spend money all the time. But it left a niggling doubt in my mind Is this normal in Egypt? Its put me off coming back to visit him and him aswell i think. I am waiting for my divorce to come through here in uk before i come back. he said to come back when he has finnished building his flat which is an extentian above his father's flat but i know on his wages this will be a long time.
I was thinking to come back to cairo and get a job and rent a room in a shared flat and mabye see him once or twice a week on a date or are we not evan allowed to go to cinama together before marriage? I did sugest we get an orfi but he seemed offended that i asked him that.
what do people on this forum think? Is he genuine?
Its left a lot of doubts in my mind from reading bad experiances of egyptian men using western women.
My brother evan jokes that he will build a second and third floor for wife no 2 and 3 and that his family are in on the deal and that they being friendly towards me because they think money is on the way.
I am 30 and he is 28.

I'm not sure what to do. I miss him a lot and am miserable here in London.

Posts: 3 | From: london | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE THING THAT MAKES ME THINK ITS NORMAL IS THAT U DID GET TO STAY AT HIS MOMS HOUSE.usurally they wouldnt bother letting someone they werent intereested in stay with their parents.so thats one good thing. and yes he couldnt stay with u so he is true to himself.but not giving into temtations with u..so i say give it a shot go meet him again.if he has sex with u i would just let him go. but if he marries u then hey he is true to his faith...so is always a what if in any relationship.no matter where a man is from...i say give it a go just plz never say i am horney and want sex cas u know down deep he cant.and u would be a temptress.if he loves u or is interested in u then he will wait and treat u good. and dont forget u have already met the family...good luck in what u do.. keepme posted plz.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly. 600le is an AWFUL salary even by Egyptian standards, I know cleaners on more! and 50le for a taxi from Mohandiseen to City Stars... people clearly see you are willing to part with cash too easily!

100le to bribe a door man... again, that is just extortionate. I know a Russian girl who gives her bowaab 10le to keep quiet!!! You are being ripped off left right and centre!

100le for the driver as well... My God! Can you lend me some cash please [Wink]

Of course you can go tot he cinema together, even Egyptians call it dating. Did you not see how many couples were in City Stars sharing a milkshake or shisha? Did you not go to the cinema? It is normal practise here to get to know people. (others will disagree but get over it!)... Muslims who are not practising will even come to the bar with their ladies to get to knowe them over a beer. Then of course there are the clubs, HEAVING with young daters.

It sounds to me like you have been a cash cow and he has been using you and telling you lies to get what he wants. Over 3 visits to you he got the equivalent of his monthly salary out of you. If he loved you he would NEVER ask you to pay such a high amount (even by UK standards) He sounds like a makle whore!

If you are wishing to move to Cairo for your own reasons cool, hop on and join us but ftlog, ditch the parasite.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to agree with CF.

100 LE daily for the bauwab – that is beyond ridiculous! [Eek!]

There is absolutely no need to bribe anyone in order to be able to visit a single woman. You have been taken for a ride big time, I'm afraid. [Frown]

If you want to come and live in Cairo anyway, then by all means go for it – it's a great place to live. But you don't need a guy for that. If you feel uncomfortable living on your own as long as you don't know your way around and are not familiar with all the ins and outs of the culture yet, there's always the option of sharing an apartment with others.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would advise you not to leave the uk unless he can provide a home for you and has married you first!! Be careful because theres alot about your post that sounds like he's using you for Money...
Good Muslims would never dream about taking money from females!!

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50le for a taxi ride from Mohandeseen to City Stars:they have ripped you off!
I've taken that ride for 20le.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to try to be judge, jury and executioner. Who knows, he could be for real, just incredibly naive, but...

quote:
Originally posted by dollydaydream:
he kept saying he had to give the doorman l00 le everyday and also 100le for the driver

We had a todo at a checkpoint once. Our driver didn't have the correct papers. We were detained until the princely sum of 10 LE mysteriously materialised in the official's back pocket. That's 10, not 100. If the doormen could make that kind of money every day (imagine if there were 10 single ladies in that block), folks would be falling over themselves for the job, I reckon.

Following the todo at the checkpoint I mentioned, there was a bit of a heated discussion between my companion and the driver as to who would foot the bill. Not that it was very much, but more the 'principle of the thing'. So I piped up that I would pay it. There were a few words in Arabic, an exchange of smiles and suddenly they were pals again. No, no. There is no problem here. Bribe? What bribe. No, no. You misunderstand. Oh look at the pretty mountains! What you can't see them? Take your hands away from your eyes. Really, the driver is very good [Big Grin]

I find it hard to believe that a geniune man would allow, let alone expect, you to foot the bill. If he had to pay it himself, he would be questioning it, surely, which makes it twice as hard to swallow.

quote:
I am waiting for my divorce to come through
Please be careful.

You know what, maybe he is ok, just wet behind the ears. Only time will tell. I really hope it works out for you, but know that, equally, even if he doesn't turn out right, it can still turn out right for you - maybe better than you ever dreamed. You don't have to be 'stuck' in London. Listen to CF. You can go to Cairo or anywhere else in the world. This guy isn't your ticket to adventure. It's self belief.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't matter if he is genuine or not, you can't live a life on LE600 a month, this is not the right man for you, so wake up forget it, and if you want to live a life in Cairo go for it as MM says.

The man is friend material, not husband, end of.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he kept saying he had to give the doorman l00 le everyday and also 100le for the driver

Uhoh.
This guy, unless he is braindead, MUST have calculated that if you came to live here you would recognise this as a ripoff within 7 days of being here.
It doesn't look good. I hardly ever issue 'warnings' about Egyptian men on here, but seriously ... you are young, probably gorgeous, you deserve better than this. And will find it, but if you were my daughter, I would tell you to lose this guy's phone number/email address.
He won't mind, and you can still come live here and meet lotsa nice people who will show you the ropes.
Good luck.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottom line : Marry him and get him a VISA to the UK, this way he'll get exported without risking having to lose his life/family savings in a perilous boat trip to the shores of Genoa/Piraeus.

End of story.. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next!
Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont understand
You have obviously been here, you know the places here, you wanted to move here even before you met him, you know even the price of hairspray, yet you didnt think that 100LE everyday for the doorman was a bit 'iffy'? this doorman is probably on about 300 a MONTH or less and if he is one to turn a blind eye in one of THE biggest reasons he has the job in the first place then he will do that for 5le

Dump the man, sort out your life and move here if that's what you want, there are plently of ex pats in cairo will help you with everything and not get ripped off.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dollydaydream
Member # 18104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dollydaydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the consensus is that my man is some kind of gigalo but one who doesn't give the jiggy jiggy. That will explain why he went a bit quiet during ramadam because he feels guilty.
oh well at least i still got my dignity in the fact that I havnt payed for sex. That would have been realy bad. mabye that would have been 5000 le!lol.
And yes of course I questioned 100 le being a lot for doorman but in a city where everyone puts the price up when they see I'm blonde i thought the doorman must be hassling him for more than usaul becuase of this.
i did try to rent a few flats on my own from letting agents but as soon as the landlords saw that im foriegn the prices went from 3000le monthly to 6000 le plus bills. The same with the taxi drivers apart from the ones that had a meter.
i think the only person who didn't rip me off in cairo is the falafell man. 1 le for a falafel sandwich they are five uk pounds in london.im not old enough to be anyones sugar mommy so im going to try and forget about him unless he makes a grand gesture and gets a better paying job .
Im going to come to Cairo anyway which was my original plan before i met him.
the question is now, how to avoid getting ripped off day to day by taxi drivers.

Posts: 3 | From: london | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

i did try to rent a few flats on my own from letting agents but as soon as the landlords saw that im foriegn the prices went from 3000le monthly to 6000 le plus bills. The same with the taxi drivers apart from the ones that had a meter.

the question is now, how to avoid getting ripped off day to day by taxi drivers.

There are new taxis with meters now, and they are everywhere. [Big Grin] Wish they had existed when I first moved here.

Yes, people will try to rip you off when you are a foreigner, but you don't have to let that happen, and the longer you live here, the less likely it is to happen. I'm a foreigner, and I don't pay higher prices than Egyptians for anything, be it apartments, taxis, fruit, or any kind of services. Learn about the culture, study the language, get to know people who will help you with settling in etc., and after a while you will notice that things get easier. [Smile]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Looks like the consensus is that my man is some kind of gigalo but one who doesn't give the jiggy jiggy. That will explain why he went a bit quiet during ramadam because he feels guilty.
oh well at least i still got my dignity in the fact that I havnt payed for sex. That would have been realy bad. mabye that would have been 5000 le!lol.
And yes of course I questioned 100 le being a lot for doorman but in a city where everyone puts the price up when they see I'm blonde i thought the doorman must be hassling him for more than usaul becuase of this.
i think the only person who didn't rip me off in cairo is the falafell man. 1 le for a falafel sandwich they are five uk pounds in london.im not old enough to be anyones sugar mommy so im going to try and forget about him unless he makes a grand gesture and gets a better paying job .
Im going to come to Cairo anyway which was my original plan before i met him.

Hey, I don't judge you for the cab fare you paid or for the fee to bribe the bowab. We ALL went through such times in the beginning and you will learn the longer you live there incl. to let an Egyptian negotiate the apartment rent for you.

600 LE a month is a very common wage/salary in Egypt and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I'd rather feel pity for these people who are working hard and can't make a decent living but unfortunately labor is very cheap in Egypt.

I also agree to a certain level with Penny and if you really wanted to make this relationship work you would be better off to bring him back to the UK but even there you would be most likely the breadwinner of the two of you at least for some time.

Did you think about what kind of work you will do to support living in Egypt? Any concrete plans yet?

IMHO you won't have any probs meeting Egyptian men especially the ones which are financially so much better off. You are single, female and..... blonde. Good luck. [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:

You too ,costs me 12 LE(white taxi ) [Big Grin]
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rahala:
quote:

You too ,costs me 12 LE(white taxi ) [Big Grin]
But Rahala,im not Egyptian,you are. [Wink]
But ive never paid 50le for a taxi ride within Cairo,not even on my first trip there.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

Prices in the white taxis are the same for Egyptians and foreigners; they have meters. [Wink]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does he do for a living to earn less than my bowaab?
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheeky, do you live in a swanky building? Lots of bawebs (and their families) live in a room and hustle for cash.
Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Aye its no bad.

Each apartment pays the bowaab 50le basic. There are more than 12 apartments so it is all in the math. Tourist police at the novotel earn more as well.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

Prices in the white taxis are the same for Egyptians and foreigners; they have meters. [Wink]
Yes,i know about this taxis that have meter.In black old ones you negotiate the price,and was referring to that one.Ive taken the white ones too,and no rip off with those.

[Wink]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
That's not strictly true either as some of the white cabs have meters that have been fixed at a higher tariff.

Only last week when I met Mickey did I get in a cab with a bad meter and I got out and walked off refusing to pay.

I know how much jouneys cost and I know his taxi would have cost me 3x the amount.

I don't negotiate either, I tell them what they will be getting and they can chose to take it or shove it [Big Grin]

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
I have a 10% Price, meaning I reduce the quoted (foreign) price TO 10% and refuse to pay more. The vendor's reaction to this tells whether the price was fair.
Dexter
Member # 16952

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also a good idea to check the meter as soon as you jump in the cab. I think the white cabs start at 2.50LE, but had a roaring argument with one driver because the meter was over 12le when I jumped in and he tried to tell me it was a 'special' price for foreigners.

I just love NOT that all the metered taxis do not have a meter when they are at Maadi Carrfour, Dandy Mall or the airport. Is this legal ? I suppose they know you are stuck and can charge crazy prices.

I flew into Cairo airport last week and it took over an hour to find a taxi. None of the taxis were allowed to stop outside the arrivals terminal and we were told to lug all our luggage down to the parking lot. Once there, we found a policeman who seemed in charge of all the taxis. All the white cabs refused to run a meter but kept telling me that 80le to Zamalek was the metered fare (more like 35le and throw in an extra 5le for the parking ticket). Prior to driving off, the cop was handed baksheesh by the cab driver.

Are the white cabs actually run by a company or are they independent ? Why can't there be a taxi rank right outside of arrivals instead of all the hassle ? I really do love Egypt, but I have had visitors here for the first time and they will definitely not be coming back due to the grief they went through with being hassled.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to negotiate a price before I get in a taxi.Pretty easy. I know we, as foreigners pay a bit more than locals, no problem, we usually have a bit more, but usually the reason we have more money is because we ain't stooopid.
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Dexter, it is not the starting cost that is the issue, it is the rate it rises, some meters are tampered with... I know exactly how much I should be paying and if I suspect they are trying to rip me off I get out... and to get my own back I get out halfway home without paying and walk off and get home for cheaper than the journey would have originally cost with an honest driver!

I have more money because I am not stoopid [Smile]

But folk have to remember not all foreigners are on massive salaries and some are wives of workers and have a one income family plus houses back home to pay for! Some may earn more but they also have more outgoings.

Also, as foreigners why the hell should we pay more? Some folk should wear masks and carry swag bags!

At the airport I tell them what I have and if they up it I remind them of exatly what I have, they some come round!

I never negotiate on the way in a cab, if they ask me how much I tell them to drive on and I wait for a taxi who just lets me get on with the journey!

My rule, if they pee me off, haggle or get sleazy I pay what it is worth... if they leave me alone and don't try to tap me for more money I pay extra.

I have a friend who is flush and throws cash at drivers, I blamed him for being the reason why drivers expect too much from foreigners [Smile]

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
My rule, if they pee me off, haggle or get sleazy I pay what it is worth... if they leave me alone and don't try to tap me for more money I pay extra.

I do the same with taxis. I carry $1/US bills. If they're fair with me, I pay them what the ride is worth and a tip - then I hand them a dollar bill. If they're not fair, they get what the trip is worth and nothing more.

Overpaying them reinforces bad behavior, which is why I won't do it.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by stayingput:
quote:

I do the same with taxis. I carry $1/US bills. If they're fair with me, I pay them what the ride is worth and a tip - then I hand them a dollar bill. If they're not fair, they get what the trip is worth and nothing more.

Overpaying them reinforces bad behavior, which is why I won't do it.

Exactly!

If they are real good and put the AC on and switch to Nile Fm without being asked I get their numbers and pass it on to friends as well who look for decent drivers for day trips out.

We will never condition the bad element, and we cannot control the tourists but we can sure as hell condition some of them to realise that decency will gain respect [Smile]

My Egyptian friends have also told me that we should tip the black cans more as the white cabs make a good profit ffrom their advertising on the side of the cars.

I love the black cans though, windows down and all that...

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had so many experiences with people trying to take advantage when I've been in Egypt. My first ever visit I had travelled with Sam from Dubai as I was meeting his parents for the first time and I remember an airport customs man opening up Sam's bag , glancing inside and then putting his hand out for money and I was amazed and couldn't believe my eyes!! Someone in authority asking for money!! Then the toilet attendent asking me for money because she had tried to force tissue on me as I was washing my hands..then outside the airport people trying to wrestle my bags out of my hand to carry to the car and wanting money.

I've never been ripped off by a taxi because I have never been anywhere on my own there but I do remember on one of our visits there we had been to see Mohammed Mounir at the Opera House and we got a taxi back to his parents and we were both sat in the back and the taxi driver kept saying something to my husband in Arabic and Sam told me to move over as our legs were touching and the taxi driver was not happy about this. So I moved right over and he still didn't like it and was complaining so Sam started shouting at him and told him to stop the cab as we were getting out and he refused to pay him.

Last time we visited in January Sam left his brand new phone that he'd paid a fortune for in the back and he kept calling it until the driver answered and the driver came back with it and wouldnt accept any money that Sam was trying to give him so he just dropped it through the window in the end. The driver didnt have to bring it back he could easily have kept it.It restores your faith in people when these things happen.

More recently we shipped all of our furniture from our apartment in Dubai to our apartment in Cairo, we paid 2000 USD just to send the stuff and I was warned beforehand not to send anything new or things like books or cds as they charge per item so I sent all my personal belongings to England and all the furniture to Cairo, it was just general household stuff no expensive plasma tvs or bang and olufsen stereos or anything like that and we had been assured that the customs charges would not exceed 2000 LE as the shipping company belonged to one of Sams cousins. Well in the end they charged us 12000 LE and the customs people have opened every last item and quite a few things are damaged (big scratches on the bed etc) Really we might as well have sold all of our furniture in Dubai and bought it again in Cairo for the amount of hassle and money involved.

When we were considering living in Egypt for a bit earlier this year it was going to cost a ridiculous amount of money to ship our cars over from Dubai and second hand cars are way too expensive in Egypt. At one point I considered having Grace in a hospital in Cairo before we had made our decision to move to the UK and I looked into the hospital costs and I think the cheapest was 10,000 LE. A friend of mine just had her first baby in Cairo and as well as paying a fortune in hopsital costs you are obliged to give money to the nurses and the cleaners as well! I know its a poor country but I don't know how anyone can consider it cheap because it seems as expensive as anywhere else to me

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd never get the number of an Egyptian cab driver; god forbid they would think I am interested!!! [Eek!]

Thanks god for cab drivers; it's surely much better than to drive to drive in a taxi than in a smelly and overcrowded microbus.

Just don't blast the Quran tape too loud!! [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Hi, DG!! [Smile]

My husband left behind his work phone THREE TIMES in a cab and it was always returned to him. Really this fact is AMAZING.

I spoke to a cab driver last year and his wife had just delivered in a hospital in Bulaq. They had to pay a 200 LE hospital fee which is a lot of money for most Egyptians. Don't know exactly why but I was always under the impression that the poor can have their babies for free in government hospitals.

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
I like the cab drivers with big beards.The 'fundies'. Almost always more honest, never get cheeky, and most respectful.
And rarely propose marriage.

One of these guys actually raced back to my house because I'd left 5 bottles of Stella in the back.
Mortifying.

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're right TL...they can go to public hospitals for free.

I can't say I have ever used public transport (well apart from the train which I thought was nice) in Egypt, but when my husband was at college he did a year at Cairo University before he moved to Ain Shams and he used to have to take a couple of buses from Heliopolis to ther every day and he said it was the most awful experience as it would be totally overcrowded and stinking in the hot weather.

We are going next month to Egypt as we are doing Grace's baptism there and I'm terrified about getting into cars when I have her with me as I'm always worried we will have an accident because the Cairo traffic is so unpredictable. I am having real nightmares over it, even the thought of taking her on the plane is scaring me but we have to go as she needs to meet tetou and gedou and the rest of her family. Definitely don't have any intention of living there anymore now that the baby is here I worry about things like pollution and all kinds of things i never even gave a thought to before I became a mummy!

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:

One of these guys actually raced back to my house because I'd left 5 bottles of Stella in the back.
Mortifying.

[Big Grin] funny
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dubai Girl:
We are going next month to Egypt as we are doing Grace's baptism there and I'm terrified about getting into cars when I have her with me as I'm always worried we will have an accident because the Cairo traffic is so unpredictable. I am having real nightmares over it, even the thought of taking her on the plane is scaring me but we have to go as she needs to meet tetou and gedou and the rest of her family. Definitely don't have any intention of living there anymore now that the baby is here I worry about things like pollution and all kinds of things i never even gave a thought to before I became a mummy!

I took Suzi back to Egypt to see her daddy again when she was only 7.5 weeks old (and too young to have any kind of vaccinations). Well it was kinda a surprise for him, he didn't know. It was my 25th birthday and I told him I'll be out the whole day celebrating somewhere else. Truth is I purchased plane tickets and stood in the evening infront of his door in Maadi with my mom and the baby in the car seat. His eyes almost fell out!! [Big Grin]

Before the trip I planned on visiting many folks during the two weeks but just like you I feared all the pollution and craziness and stayed mostly in the apartment with the baby. People came to visit us then which was even better. And I was breastfeeding my daughter so it worked out fine. Two weeks went by too fast.

On the way to there with BA the stewardess brought us a cot for Suzy and when I tried to put her in there she started screaming. So we kept holding her during the flight.

My husband was even able to upgrade us to first class on the way back home without any extra fees. More space and everything.

You know I don't think you gonna have probs taking your daughter to Egypt. You know what's best and will take care of her. Time for Grace to meet her other grandparents, who already love her very much too. [Smile]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
DG, can you not hire a big mofo of a monster car for the trip? That way you control the safety ascpects and if you cannot drive you can get a driver for a month for around 800le! (more than the 'decent' salary posted for a 'good job'originally)
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Tigerlily:

I'd never get the number of an Egyptian cab driver; god forbid they would think I am interested!!! [Eek!]

No, they wouldn't, that's actually common practice.

quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:

I like the cab drivers with big beards.The 'fundies'. Almost always more honest, never get cheeky, and most respectful.
And rarely propose marriage.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
It is very common Dalia, I have had drivers given me printed business cards with their details on.
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im a foreigner married to egyptian and also muslim. I got tired of taxi drivers always trying to talk to me. So i got my license and now i drive myself. My husband likes it better too.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get chatty ones occasionally, but if I'm not in the mood to chat, they usually notice soon and leave me alone.

What does your husband have to do with you taking taxis?

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He likes it better in the sense i feel more comfortable with my own car.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnia
Member # 18253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi I am new here. I came accross this form when i googled marriage in egypt and of course some of the posts have made me think twice about marrieing my egyptian fiance.
I currently live in London but am engaged to an egyptian man and i want to move to cairo to be with him, actualley I wanted to move to cairo before i met him because i am fed up of london but I am not sure what to think. He has a good job for english standards but when i asked him how much his salary was i was shocked when he told me 600 le a month that seems like nothing, considering the price of things in cairo. 24 le for hairspray, 50le for a taxi from mohadseen to city stars, 7 le for one litre juice etc.
well when i told him i didnt feel comfortable staying in cairo on my own he brought me to stay in with his family which i realy apreciated and they are lovely although very strict muslim wich i am ok with as i studied isalm before. WELL it got too much seeing him and wanting to hold his hand and sneeking quick kisses when they were out of the room so i decided to rent an apartment and i assumed that he would stay with me in the apartment but he did not. He said that it is the law he is not allowed to becuase we are not married so he visted me everyday for an hour or two after work. the thing is he kept saying he had to give the doorman l00 le everyday and also 100le for the driver who was the intermediary in finding the apartment so that they would keep quiet because its against the law for him to be visiting a single women. I payed this because obviosly on his wages he doesnt have it. So he sid i shold go back to stay with his family as he doesnt like me to spend money all the time. But it left a niggling doubt in my mind Is this normal in Egypt? Its put me off coming back to visit him and him aswell i think. I am waiting for my divorce to come through here in uk before i come back. he said to come back when he has finnished building his flat which is an extentian above his father's flat but i know on his wages this will be a long time.
I was thinking to come back to cairo and get a job and rent a room in a shared flat and mabye see him once or twice a week on a date or are we not evan allowed to go to cinama together before marriage? I did sugest we get an orfi but he seemed offended that i asked him that.
what do people on this forum think? Is he genuine?
Its left a lot of doubts in my mind from reading bad experiances of egyptian men using western women.
My brother evan jokes that he will build a second and third floor for wife no 2 and 3 and that his family are in on the deal and that they being friendly towards me because they think money is on the way.
I am 30 and he is 28.

I'm not sure what to do. I miss him a lot and am miserable here in London.

Hi ,

I am in a VERY simmilar situation, in fact, when I was reading your post I felt like I have written it myself lol

very similar situation but not the same. Lets say, my Egyptian fiancee have never asked me for money or to pay for anything. I once in the beginning took out my purse to pay for the bill but after the look he gave me I never did that again!!

so as you were I was fed up with life in UK and prefered to live in Egypt. My fiancee warned me it wouldn't be an easy life concidering low Egyptian wages, but that time I thought he was just exaggerating. After I have done some research about the Egyptian earning I realised this was nothing but true,which then I had the second thoughts of moving to Egypt strait after the wedding.

so my fiancee and I have decided after the wedding for him to come to UK for couple of years or so.
the thing is... we didn't set the accurate date for the wedding yet but he wants this to happen as soon as we can because , as he says, he wants to be with me and look after me. I want the same but I don't like to feel "rushed". and I told him that, but he explained that he didn't want to "rush", its just because he loves me and wants to be with me.
is it the Egyptian man thing to be impatient?

Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sonnia:

No, it's not.

Egyptian wages are low for Egyptians, but westerners can - and do - make salaries that are extremely high in comparison.

Research further, particularly for salaries westerners earn while Egypt and you will see it is, indeed, possible to have a rather luxurious lifestyle on your salary alone. Many, many people come to Egypt (for whatever reason) and stay because their earning power is much higher.

Cheeky's in Cairo and Ayisha's in Luxor. I'm sure they'll second this.

Impatient to get married? Maybe. Impatient to immigrate? Probably.

Tread carefully.

Sonnia
Member # 18253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the reply,
its good to know that it is possible "to earn" in Egypt as well. But don't you have to speak Arabic to find the job in the first place?

"Impatient to get married? Maybe. Impatient to immigrate? Probably."

I thought about this as well and was wondering if he was so keen because to stay with me in UK or because he was genuinely in love, thats why I instisted to stay in Egypt after the wedding(and at the same time to see his reaction cos that would mean no visa, no life in UK).And if at first he was "educating" me about the REAL Egypt but after he saw I was serious and determined to leave "good life" in UK so I could live with him in his homeland I must say he was very happy and overwhelmed. also he told me that by making this desicion I just proved him how much he meant to me and he couldn't ask for more to be happier. and the next day he text me saying that his father was also very happy about my choice to come and live in Alex.

this answer did sound good enough to "switch off" the red flag for visa or am I still being naive?

Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Seconded. The earning power is immense. I am currently helping a friend find work and if you search online there are numerous jobs. Heck, I know of a job in the process of being drawn up that will pay £50k a year for basically co-ordinating staff!!!

No, you don't have to speak Arabic. I know hundreds of employed expats who cannot utter more than 10 Arabic words. There are many UK companies here with UK management who only employ English speaking Egyptians.

Have you met his parents?

Is he a Muslim? If so, and he follows his faith, then assumingly you have not had sex if you are not married. Maybe he is rushing for that. Perhaps he is rushing for a visa or to share your money.

Maybe he is a nice dude and you have found a genuine guy... only you will know the real truth, we can only summise based on others stories. Please be aware though there are many happy storries around but they are just not posted on here. I can assure you that here, in Egypt, I have met many happy westerners married to Egyptians.

Naive would be to totally ignore gut feelings.

For you to obtain a Visa can be a drawn out process that delves into your private life and finances. Also, moving here is an expense and a helluva big move. Either way you need to be quite certain of what you want.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto what ferret said.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No. Here in Egypt it is actually quite common for the engagement period to last a year or even longer.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnia
Member # 18253

Rate Member
quote:

Have you met his parents?

Not yet but planning to do that on my visit to Egypt in Januaray, he insists I would stay in his family house

quote:

Is he a Muslim?

yes

quote:

Perhaps he is rushing for a visa or to share your money.

the thing is he wants me to decide where do I prefer to live, and he didn't have the problem when I went for Egypt. If he was up for visa I would presume he would do anything to change my mind but he was quite happy. his answer was something like - Egypt or UK doesn't matter as long as I stay with him [Smile] so sweet lol

and I would not think he wanted to share my money, even in UK he never let me pay for anything, for him it was like an insult if woman pays the bill

Sonnia
Member # 18253

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:

No. Here in Egypt it is actually quite common for the engagement period to last a year or even longer.
he told me the same thing, but after the engagement they still get to see each other and spend some time together, wheres me living in UK and him in Egypt makes it very difficult. I cannot visit him for too many times because of my work and limited amount of holidays, and he cannot because of visa!

of course, it does exist such technologies like the phones and internet, but we all know its not the same as to see someone in person

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com