EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Legal papers for foreigners to get married to an Egyptian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legal papers for foreigners to get married to an Egyptian
She_Bittersweet
Member # 15743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for She_Bittersweet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone!

Basically im posting to ask if there are any legal papers you have to get from our home country in order to get married to an Egyptian in Egypt? The thing is im gonna get married this summer and well it just came to me that I dont know anything about all the papers you need (of obviously if there are any). Does anyone has any experience with it? Would appreciate some help. Also can you do religious ceremony without legal one?

One more thing, if you get married in Egypt is the marriage valid in UK for instance ?

Sorry, many questions but advice very appreciated!

Posts: 27 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you the girl marrying a Christian? I think I responded to you before? If so you don't need anything...you don't need a certificate of no impediment as this applies to marriages taking place inside Europe only. Proof of divorce isn't applicable because if you are marrying a Copt then you can't have been married before otherwise they aren't allowed to marry you. If it's a Muslim you're marrying and you are divorced then you need proof of this. You will have to go the British Embassy in Cairo and tell them you're getting married and they will advise you. It's fairly straightfoward although there is a bit of running around to do getting documents stamped etc..the embassy needs the marriage licensed from the Ministry of Justice translated so you will have to take it to an official translator have it stamped and return it back to the Embassy. Set aside a few days to get all this sorted

No you can't have the religious ceremony without the Ministry of Justice. MOJ must be done first then you can have your ceremony. Yes the marriage is valid and recognised in the UK. Hope this helps [Big Grin]

If I left anything out I'm sure someone else will mention it.

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
She_Bittersweet
Member # 15743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for She_Bittersweet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No im not marrying a Christian :)Im marrying a muslim. And also im not British, yet I thought its pretty much the same with all nationalities.
Posts: 27 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aaah..sorry I assumed you were british as you mentioned UK in your post and you're listed as from England! Well then I think it depends on the marriage laws of your home country as to what you must do. You should call your embassy and check...when I was talking about the religious ceremony I was referring to the church. Someone else can tell you about the religious ceremony I'm sure it would depend if you are a muslim? Non muslims can't get married by a maazoun. That is all i know on the subject!
Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
She_Bittersweet
Member # 15743

Rate Member
Well yes I am a Muslim. I thought it really doesnt make any difference the nationality I mean I assumed they demand the same papers from all foreigners regardless whether you are British or in my case Lithuanian. Anyhow, I probably should check with my embassy.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all i needed was proof of who i was ...drivers license for example.photo id, and we needed 6 photos for the marriage license and copies.like a passport photo...that was it , and yes it is legal in your country..i am from the USA..and here i sent a copy to the embassy to make sure we were registered in the states
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is if you are going to the MOJ ...i am not sure of a church wedding...sorry just wanted to make that clear [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
She_Bittersweet
Member # 15743

Rate Member
Thanks a lot for reply! Well im not gonna get married in a church only in mosque and MOJ.
Healingheart
Member # 18174

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healingheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A civil marriage at the MOJ in Cairo is valid in the UK. You can have a religious ceremony but it is the civil marriage that is legally binding. You'll need your passport and a document from your Embassy stating that you are free to marry and that the Embassy has no objection to you getting married. If you were married before, you need to show the original divorce decree (or a certified copy of the same).
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com