EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » RIP. ES.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIP. ES.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it finally the end of ES? It would be a shame to think so but it is looking pretty much like it with the spammers taking over and the genuine posters disappearing like snow of a dyke [Frown]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephie_ELH
Member # 16197

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephie_ELH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I noticed, I sent an email to the admin asking about mods but no reply so far
Posts: 195 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i pop in thats all i see so i just leave.boring...

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This place is shite! Nothing of relevance or interest. I only popped in today as it is in my BB history and I wondered if owt had improved. The luantics really did take over the asylum. Thank feck for FB and a filtering system of dead wood [Smile]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't agree more, but worth looking on here to read a phrase like "disappearing like snow off a dyke" !!!
The picture conjured up by that cracked me up.

Had a peek at Egyptmad, and that it simply dead.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
This place is shite! Nothing of relevance or interest. I only popped in today as it is in my BB history and I wondered if owt had improved. The luantics really did take over the asylum. Thank feck for FB and a filtering system of dead wood [Smile]

ypu fb is much better.. i can just talk to yall there if i had somethin to say right?only my friends there and all the info i need and not used against none like here.. lolol
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ES has been totally taken by spammers,and when some ES'ser posts something they inmediately take a ride to place an add.
If the owner or mods don't care anymore,simply shut it down.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
ES has been totally taken by spammers,and when some ES'ser posts something they inmediately take a ride to place an add.
If the owner or mods don't care anymore,simply shut it down.

Ohhh,and if at least the spam was for something worthwhile and interesting,but hell noooo,its totally ****/cheapos nobody cares for. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree - it's a shame, and a waste. A site that's been going as long as this one with the number of page views and visitors it would have been getting at it's peak, has a value. Now it's choc a block with outgoing links to completely unrelated sites - it'll get penalised by Google in months to come for that. Visitors will decline because the only people who'll come here in the end will be the spammers - old members will stop coming; if it drops in Google new visitors won't be able to find it; if they do they're not going to be bothered to sift through the dross - it's a viscious cycle.

I can understand why someone couldn't be fagged with it anymore, but I don't get why you wouldn't just change the set up so posting links by new members is banned?? That would stop it, then and there. And if you couldn't be fagged with it anymore, I can't understand why you wouldn't flog it to someone who could. I'm sure there'd be a market for it - it's pagerank 6. You could monetise it better with targeted advertising - flights, trips etc. etc. A real estate and accommodation section where advertisers actually stumped up a few quid instead of advertising for free.

Don't understand it at all. Such a shame.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no waste , imo. It's just the way it goes. Something can be popular, extremely popular, and outdated or oldfashioned when people have had enough of it. Nothing stays forever, and ES is on it's end. In fact this time of the year is the good time to start over something new.
Wish you all the best, a happy new year, may all your wishes come true.Byebye!

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My_Login_Name
Member # 16667

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for My_Login_Name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it sucks whats happening in here!
Posts: 199 | From: Here and there | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ES isn't dying. Egyptology and Ancient Egypt forums remain very popular and very active. They are updated in a matter of minutes. Just an observation but ES is anything but dying. Sure the spam sucks, but ES was always spammed. I mean so what, [Smile] it's just a forum and will forever be just a forum. And this is coming from someone who was lurking here in 2001 and joined in early 2002.

So chill out. Relax. k.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets get rid of the spammers !!!!
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first time I have logged into ES, in more than a week. Read this topic and left!!

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't go ...............
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dawn-Bev*:
lets get rid of the spammers !!!!

I agree. Cool Attitude. [Smile]

How do we do this? I noticed that the Egyptology/Ancient Egypt forums are cleaner than other forums. Can those moderators there clean up the rest of the forums?

I also read while back that the moderator/admin appointed was someone that people here personally knew. Why not give him a CALL, and tell him to clean up this place.

And I agree with “monkey” who suggested that outgoing links should be incapacitated. If the reward of linking is eliminated then the spamming would end.

What else? what other ideas are out there? For the time being, I think we should just be cool about it, so what we have to deal with it. Some patience is a beatiful thing. A few/lot spammers shouldn't be able to turn away members. That's not cool. The hell with spammers, they never win anyway in the long run, and I know members are frustrated but, things 'll change.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
yup ....... I agree, with patience, we will win ...
[Smile]

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bit like your local restaurant being overtaken by chavs. You can see it happening, but what can you do? You've got no right to throw a wobbler, it's not your establishment after all. The only thing you have control over is taking your custom elsewhere. But does that restaurant down the road have the same ambience; and are you really happy to write off your old haunt and let it be consigned to chav central?

I think it's a shame if that happens here and yes, I think it's a waste. I don't think ES has had its day just yet. This is still a good site. Funny, sad, informative and downright whacky. There are some genuinely good posts here burried beneath all the knocked off handbags and 'designer' clobber. It's just that it's getting harder and harder to find them.

Personally, I wouldn't care if the outgoing link function were disabled. It would take, what, an extra two seconds to copy and paste webpage addresses from posts to the address bar? But Exilled, you said something I hadn't really considered. Those really lively threads have oodles of outgoing links. Maybe those members would miss being able to use that facility in their debates. I'm sure posting outgoing links to other sites that ARE related to Egypt and Egyptology does have a positive effect on this one in the rankings... Maybe the spamming flipside isn't bad enough to cancel that out, maybe posters like me just don't add any value. I don't know. I don't know how it's set up, but to me the answer would be disabling live links from new members. Having to wait 6-12 months just isn't going to be attractive to the average spammer, and without that facility this place is of no use to them whatsoever.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot remember one topic that kept me interested during the last year. ( Or perhaps my memory isn't what it used to be [Smile] )
So, to me I have been passing by and ES is behind me now...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Well, I can only speak for myself. Simple things... [Smile]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of interesting points of view. I think people would miss ES if it shut down. I have learnt alot from here and made real and virtual friends through it. If the owners aren't interested then put it out its misery or give it to someone who cares and is willing to moderate it properly. I think most of us do keep in contact with those we want to through FB but I still believe there is a place for ES.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Merry Christmas, Young at Heart!

--------------------

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
You know, if you can really be bothered, you can always report these sites to the genuine Nike people and what have you. It is trademark infringement after all.
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
Merry Christmas, Young at Heart!

Thankyou QM and to you!
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over a period of time, forums do die down and people post less and less.

ES is just quiet, has been for some time, which is not a bad thing.ES should have more features.

ES does nothing to encourage people to stay.

[Big Grin] But its not a bad forum [Big Grin] ,I'm surprised it has kept open as long as it has.

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
there are some good people on here
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
quote:

I agree there are good people here [Big Grin]
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These threads have been popping up from time to time since I've started, and I bet before that too. And yet, ES is still here...

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy ES and reading funny things from the people here except for a couple.

What turns people off is no matter what the topic a certain someone always manages to turn it into a bashing match.

It is a mystery to me that someone could be so full of hatred and spew such hateful things to people they don't even know.

I blocked a couple of people but for some reason they still show up over and over...still spouting useless information.

I guess I will try to get everybody on FB.

My name there is Sherry Crider Hogan and if you identify yourself by your ES name, I will add you [Smile]

Hope all have a good new year!

Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

True!
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com