EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » We got the visa :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We got the visa :)
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of you know this anyway due to FB, and my mum did kind of spill the beans when she posted here. However, I thought I would still create this topic in case someone in the future is googling about visa appeals. There is so much information out there about spouse visas, but very few on what happens if it is refused.

So, here goes my full story. Future people, feel free to email me with any questions or post on here, I have done a lot of research into immigration since our first visa (tourist) in 2008.

Today the British embassy visa section finally opened, and Sam was able to collect his passport.

We applied for a spouse visa March 2010, it was refused late May. Two reasons for refusal:
1) House not big enough. This point was ridiculous, I live in a four bedroom house, however they read it as three as they skipped over the part about our extension. I have a double room, my parents have a double room, as does my brother, leaving a single room that we can turn into a nursery. Besides, at the time of putting in the application, our son was only 5 months, so even if it was a three bedroom, there is no reason why a baby cannot stay in the room with his parents, as recommended by the world health organisation. I am now flat hunting, but wasn’t at the time as I was worried we would then fail due to finance.

2) The big one, 320(11), frustrating/ deceiving immigration services. This was because in Jan 2009 we put in for a tourist visa, this was before we married and before finding out I was pregnant. My parents sponsored him and we didn't mention me, we also said he will over be coming for three weeks in March 09. He got the visa in June (although it was done for May, they didn't bother actually letting him know it was done). By that time I was about six months pregnant, due late Sept. He came in July and plan on leaving Oct.
Things didn't turn out like this, mid sept, just before the baby came, we put in for a certificate of approval to allow us to marry. We changed his flight to the day his visa ran out (early nov), naively thinking we might have the COA by then, and not knowing about having to put up notice of marriage.
Nov was fast approaching, so we changed the flight to Jan, knowing it was an over stay, but trying to keep it as short as possible. We got the COA late December- it was dated mid Nov, but that's post for you. Due to Christmas time, Registry office couldn't fit us in until Jan, and didn't have an opening for a wedding until Feb 13th, which we took, changing his flight for a final time to feb 28th.

Anyway, I contacted a legal representative and met her in London. She filled out the appeal sheet and I put together the things she needed. Our appeal was handed in June.
Then the wait began. Cairo was supposed to contact AIT (asylum and immigration) by 11th Nov about whether or not they were going to over turn, but that day came and went with no word. I sent countless emails that I never got a reply. In Dec AIT set a court date, March 3rd.

On Jan 20th, whilst I was in Cairo visiting, my husband got a phone call out of the blue from the embassy (we were in a taxi on the way to city stars at the time). They told him they are overturning the decision and to hand in the passport after the weekend. We did so and told to pick it up a week later. We decided to keep it secret until we actually had the visa in our hands, just because it felt too unreal.
But of course things are never straightforward for us. On Jan 25th the Egypt protests began, the embassy closed 2 days before we were due to collect. I left egypt feb 17th, and have been obsessively checking to see when the visa section of the embassy will reopen. Yesterday I finally read the news I was waiting for, and now my husband will fly here April 2nd.

Someone on here told me about the site ukresident, I highly recommend it, and the legal rep I hired is a frequent poster on there (obviously that site is only useful for visas to the UK).

A decision overturn is a rarity, as it is pretty much them admitting they were wrong, which they don’t like to do.
If you do not get an overturn, and have to go to court: Do NOT represent yourself, get legal help. At the court hearing your rep will battle it out with a rep from the home office. From what I have read it can be very intimidating as they try desperately to trip you up. The judge will then go away and give a decision usually within two weeks. If it is a no, you can appeal again or hand in a new application, if it is a yes the home office has 28 days to appeal it. Do not worry about this as I haven’t read a story where they have bothered. Once that time is up, you have to wait for England to contact Egypt. This takes time, but email a lot so they don’t forget. Once cairo have the news they will phone for the passport.
Don’t expect to get the stamp there and then, we were told a week, but it can be more and it can be less. It really depends on what embassy it is.

Sorry for the essay! Just want to add thank you to every one who has helped me on here, I have had so many PMs with advice and support.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done - Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent news WK! So happy for you [Smile]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dilemma
Member # 16672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dilemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations.
Posts: 133 | From: egypt/usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
already sent my mabruks but have another few MABRUK, MABRUK MABRUK [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! if you persevere it all works out well in the end. I love a happy ending!
Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , great news girlie...so happy for you 3 [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snow white
Member # 15647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snow white     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So happy for you all xxxxx well done
Posts: 264 | From: wales | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablo_7777
Member # 15522

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablo_7777   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so WK.
do u recommend people going through the appeal to meet in Cairo and go to city stars? so that they will have the phone call in the taxi telling them congratulations that u won the appeal? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 305 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabrouk
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news !!Mabrouk!!
Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good News. I wish you a very happy new life as a family living together in the UK.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother in law got his settlement visa too a few months back. Its good news WK wish you all the best.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops! I completely missed this thread.

Congrats!!!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com