EgyptSearch Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Doing Business in Egypt » buying furniture in sharm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: buying furniture in sharm
indicatorcat
Member # 10009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for indicatorcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am buying an apartment in sharm but do not like the furniture package. Can anybody advice where i can get good comfortable modern furniture.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Norway/Sharm
Member # 8240

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norway/Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gulfy
Member # 10089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gulfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i read somewhere that your best bet would be to go to Cairo and buy from there!!!
Posts: 299 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sub-zero
Member # 9691

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sub-zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy from Cairo. Sharm does not have any ability of producing furniture. All resorts, hotels and homes buy from Cairo.
Posts: 657 | From: Cairo | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or try El Gouna. Furniture shops there mostly cater to expats and wealthy Egyptians, so you'll find a variety of modern and ethnic furniture.
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sub-zero
Member # 9691

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sub-zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Or try El Gouna. Furniture shops there mostly cater to expats and wealthy Egyptians, so you'll find a variety of modern and ethnic furniture.

Yes! [Smile]
Posts: 657 | From: Cairo | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indicatorcat
Member # 10009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for indicatorcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, so sharm is deffinately a no no for furniture. ! I thought it might have to be cairo but to be honest the thought of trying to find what i want in such a large unfamiliar city is a little bit scary. !!! Anybody got any ideas on shops that do modern furniture, electrical goods etc etc... sofa bed, sofa, fridge, tv etc etc .
Also is the electric supply the same in egypt as UK but just different pin, was wondering about the possibility of shipping from UK and using adapters. !! Any thoughts folks.???

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gulfy
Member # 10089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gulfy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't know about the prongs, but if you are thinking about importing electronics, expect to pay up to 50% in customs and taxes!! i hear though you will have better quality if you import!
Posts: 299 | From: Dubai | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are planning to shop in Cairo then the City Stars Shopping Mall has some good reasonable price furniture shops for beds, sofa's, tables, warbrobes etc, plus linen. It is all modern European style. Also the very large Carfour on the Alexandria road out of Cairo has many electrical things and also Patio furniture barbeques etc. It's worth a trip to stock up on basic items that are so expensive in Sharm.
For Carpets/ rugs try the carpet factory in the Sheraton area. Great big modern shop with loads of modern designs at excellent prices.

Electric supply is the same as UK so yes take small items with adaptors but don't even think about importing, way too expensive and far too much hassle

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indicatorcat
Member # 10009

Rate Member
fantastic folks, thanks alot. I had thought of using a shipping company an sending a container with all the things i need bought in the uk but hadnt considered that 50% would be added to the value. !! Yikes. Looking more and more that cairo will be the place i will have to go. Thanks Penny for the tips of shops that is a great help, if you think of anything else please let me know, or if anybody knows any web sites that would be helpful.
Wai
Member # 10471

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you buy goods from Cairo, how do you get the goods back to Sharm? Do you also have to organise a freight company to get the goods over? If so any recommendations? How long does it normally take to go on a furniture shopping trip in Cairo as I would imagine it to take three days or something? Who would you get to fit things like boilers and air con?

Maybe someone on this forum should set up a furniture package shop in Sharm possibly linked to a main dealer in Cairo so the prices are more reasonable! Suprised no-one has done it already. It seems silly that with such a massive market in Sharm which is still growing that nobody has done it.

Posts: 18 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Small
Member # 7071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Small     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we bought our apartment in sharm through Helen Kirker ( www.hkirkerexclusives.com ). It came fully furnished and all of the furniture is hand made in Sharm by her Egyptian husband (thats how they met).So yes,you can get furniture in Sharm.
Posts: 70 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the package would have been alot of money go to cario 500le to transport back.where in sharm did you buy u 2
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ANY ONE INTERESTED I HAVE 5 STAR APARTMENT IN MONTAZA ON THE BEACH WITH POOL 2 BED TO DIE FOR
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wai
Member # 10471

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of buying in the sierra resort developement in nabq I think it is called. Going out on a viewing trip in a few weeks. For me it seems that buying the property is only the beginning of the work and probably the easiest part as then you have to find a good way to furnish it and then rent it out and organise housekeeping etc.

Where is Montaza anyway? Do you have experience in buying the furniture from Cairo and if so what was it like. Can you tell me a little about it and how you go about it all?

Posts: 18 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J.J.
Member # 10535

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a website Home Accessories - emassive.com & they have a huge variety of modern & contemporary furniture at good prices. You can also custom make almost everything, and not to mention that the prices are really good.

Good luck in your search!

--------------------
J.J

Posts: 1 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J.J.:
There is a website Home Accessories - emassive.com & they have a huge variety of modern & contemporary furniture at good prices. You can also custom make almost everything, and not to mention that the prices are really good.

Good luck in your search!

And they are going to deliver to Egypt LOL [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninky
Member # 10736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of complexes do offer furniture packages, and this is good if you do not have the time to go around looking for it, however, they can be really expensive compared to the market value, my advise is to either find the time to go to Cairo and choose everything yourself, delivery is really cheap also, I bought a 4 piece suite for 100 quid, and delivery was, 20 GBP from Cairo
I bought a full bedroom package which included, bed, matress, dressing table, huge ward robe, 2 bedside tables with draws, a chest of draws, and chair from alex 700 GBP plus delivery.
Another thing to do for certain pieces if you bring a catalogue with you, eg an ikea catalogue, go to an area called rewesat, where they have the work shops and get them to make it up for you, its good and affordable.

--------------------
Do you think I look like George Clooney!!!

Posts: 155 | From: Eeeegggyyypppttt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony
Member # 8400

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Nina, a very helpful posting for all users.
Posts: 21 | From: Nottingham,England | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m-h-m
Member # 16759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for m-h-m   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deal all

warm greetings

our comapany fashion house furniture is in sharm

we offer alot of chocies for furntiure

you can visit our factory in sharm

Posts: 2 | From: sharm | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com