EgyptSearch Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Doing Business in Egypt » doing business in Sharm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: doing business in Sharm
liz007
Member # 11424

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for liz007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Egy’s think they are up to date, and facilitating our needs, but they have a long way to go. At the moment, they are just taking our money, and we don’t get a lot back in return- Egypt is not cheap, as the prices we pay are far away from any the locals pay. In Europe and other parts of the developed world this is not the case, the price does not vary depending on your creed, colour, nationality etc. This would be deemed discriminatory and racist.
Only in Egypt is this seen as fair. Until a few more of them are allowed to travel and get out there to see what it is we live with, they shouldn’t aspire to be able to provide us with our needs, and charge us more for the so called ‘service’ we receive.
There is a lot to be said for freedom of speech, independent media and education or the non-secular variety.
PS: Where are all the Egyptian women?

Posts: 22 | From: uk/sharm | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J_Mordey
Member # 11569

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for J_Mordey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by liz007:
Egy’s think they are up to date, and facilitating our needs, but they have a long way to go. At the moment, they are just taking our money, and we don’t get a lot back in return- Egypt is not cheap, as the prices we pay are far away from any the locals pay. In Europe and other parts of the developed world this is not the case, the price does not vary depending on your creed, colour, nationality etc. This would be deemed discriminatory and racist.
Only in Egypt is this seen as fair. Until a few more of them are allowed to travel and get out there to see what it is we live with, they shouldn’t aspire to be able to provide us with our needs, and charge us more for the so called ‘service’ we receive.
There is a lot to be said for freedom of speech, independent media and education or the non-secular variety.
PS: Where are all the Egyptian women?

I live in Sharm for almost 2 years now, and I just read your "valuable" articles about it. I believe that you're full of hatred, that you're the only racist here, and that no one needs to read your crap. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

PS: I'm married to an Egyptian whom I met in Sharm, and I'm so happy with her, and since I know her entire family, I know exactly how shitty talking you are when you talk about Egyptians "in general" this way. Generalization is always wrong dear, but you obviously are suffering from Clue Deficit Disorder!

Posts: 7 | From: Essex, U.K | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz007
Member # 11424

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for liz007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that. Feel free to ignore my comments, this is a free speech site.
I'm surprised if you recognise racism that you don't understand others opinions on how we feel when treated this way. Being married to an egyptian, and being male, things are totally different for you so don't generalise yourself so much. I know my views are relevant,as I have heard them from others. I do not hate sharm or the egyptians as you say. You don't understand my situation or know me so don't be presumptuous and get so nasty. I have many egyptian friends, businesses I support and they are aware of my views, and often agree.
And don't call me dear please, I don't get the impression I am that dear to you.

Posts: 22 | From: uk/sharm | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 11954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only comment is that i want to stress on " Generalization is always wrong "
I myself experienced several of this racism acts in the prices in "developed Countries" as you call them...

--------------------
Sherif El-Gendy
0101493038 or 0108553167
From outside Egypt add (002)

Posts: 4 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubyroo
Member # 11104

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rubyroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience most Egyptians see Europeans and other non-Egyptians as fair game to be completely ripped off. They seem to think we are completely stupid and are unaware of what prices for taxis and products in shops should be. And I do beleive a lot of Egyptians are racist.
Posts: 31 | From: england | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Europeans and Egyptians and other North African and Middle East countries have a different way of thinking.
Foe ex. it is not the fault of the person who cheats or lies but the person who gets cheated or belives in the lies they are told, they are wrong.If they are that stupid that they belive in what they are told or they get cheated than it is their fault.
As in European or at least Sacandinavian way of thinking is that those who cheat or lie they are doing wrong.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abu ghuthaifah
Member # 12125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abu ghuthaifah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could put my penny in the box,My advice is to befriend a local,be truthful and genuine to that person and make them understand what business culture is where you come from eg; Honesty,Relaibility,Trustworthy,Politeness,Service Delivery,Fairness etc..and then tag them along if you do business dealings in a new environment or else let them do it on your behalf.and in that manner you have atleast thought somebody proper business ettiqette.
Posts: 15 | From: Cape Town ,South Africa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abu ghuthaifah
Member # 12125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abu ghuthaifah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And as for J_Mordy, please don't be so hard on people who express their concerns,Character Assinations has never been a benefit to those who assinate and the assinated.You should thank your lucky stars that you have some sort of defence in a form of a spouse that would look after you intrests,had you been in Liz's shoes and her conditions you would proberbly face the same treatment.The important thing is to help where you can,especially if people are from foreign countries,because they will serve as ambassadors for Egypt irrespective of where they go in the future and the beneficiaries will be Egypt and Egyptians(like your spouse and her families)
Posts: 15 | From: Cape Town ,South Africa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nado
Member # 10706

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SO I AM AN EGYPTIAN WOMAN AND I LIVE IN SHARM BUT SHARM IS NOT A COUNTRY THEREFORE THERE IS NO WOMEN HERE, THE ORIGINAL RESIDENTS OF SHARM ARE BEDOUIN PEOPLE SO PLEASE IF U NO NOTHING ABOUT EGYPT TO GENERALIZE BEFORE JUDGING U CAN TALK TO REAL CITIZENS PLUS I WILL BE FAIR U MAY BE TREATED AWFULL IN SHARM BUT MAKE SURE THAT EVERY PLACE U FIND GOOD AND BAD PEOPLE AND MOST PEOPLE LIVING IN SHARM THEY CAME FROM POOR CULTURE TO JUST FIND A CHANCE TO EARN MONEY SO THEY ALL NOT ALL EGYPTIANS IF U WENT TO GOOD HOTELS AND SEE THE EGUCATED PEOPLE WORKING THERE U MAY CHANE YOUR MIND ANY WAY IF U NEED ANY HELP I WILL BE HAPPY TO ASSIST
Posts: 6 | From: Sharm | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amanir
Member # 11410

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amanir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I just wanna say to that lady who complaint about the Egyptians that if Egypt hasn't got A LOT to offer for very little no one will be interested as this forum shows. We in UK can't afford all these villas and sea fronts and so on... while in Egypt we can. with a small price of understanding, less racism, modesty and learning alittle bit about your neighbours (the locals) their culture, their traditions.. I just wish that people stop complaining and enjoy the Egyptian experience otherwise why go there in the first place.

--------------------
amani

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrypear
Member # 11671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrypear         Edit/Delete Post 
amanir
I agree with you 100% me and my wife met a lot of Egyptians and we enjoyed their company,hospitality and friendship. We need to learn about their culture to understand their thinking, unfortunatly we in the UK when we travel we expect the others to understand us on the contrary we are guests in their country and we should make that effort to blend in

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mal
Member # 12314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My husband and I visited Sharm for the 1st time recently with our 8 year old son, we visited 'Namma Bay' and evening and hoped to have dinner in one of the restaurants, the atmosphere was wonderful and there were many people trying to encourage us into their restaurant to eat or drink, it was quite early and we had only just arrived there and so decided to go into one of the Bedouin areas for a drink first. We ordered a coffee, a beer and a coke, we were charges 100LE for this (around £10.00), I would have been charged less in a London restaurant. I then got a little worried about what a dinner was going to cost us and guessed at between £60. - £80. and we ended up going to McDonalds instead.
Liz, I do understand what you are saying and I wonder if they would have charged the locals the same. I think it would be great if they would put set meal boards outside the restaurants (say £12.00 a head in return for a mixture of traditional Egyptian food) we would have jumped at this opportunity.

Posts: 53 | From: Dartford, Kent. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i always thought the food very cheap in sharm drings are on par with here but the meals have always been very good also down in hadaba very in the mall
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mal
Member # 12314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were in 'all-inclusive' as most people are but I will check out 'The Mall'.
Posts: 53 | From: Dartford, Kent. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com