EgyptSearch Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Doing Business in Egypt » Worries About Leasehold Only?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worries About Leasehold Only?
nagalka
Member # 12980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nagalka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently bought in Sharm (by deposit) at Sierra and Sharm Bride, and before I commit fully, I have attempted to get some clarification on exactly what could be the repercussions on only owning the leasehold.

I have trawled other threads but no-one seems to have nailed down exactly what disasterous consequences could follow in the future, and of course as important, is there anything at this stage that can be done.

I have suggested that it would be imperative to include at the very least "renewable extension" clauses in the contract, but my agent tells me that this is not possible. From my angle it looks like a win/win situation for the freeholder?

I believe as a group, we must be cautious, particularly before signing any contracts.

Allow me to describe how I understand it:

In Sharm only there is a govt policy to exclude foreign nationals from owning property. In order to get round this foreign nationals are permitted to take out a 99 year lease, with the developer being the freeholder.

Realistic Disasters?

1. The lease runs out after 99 years, we or our dependents own nothing - all investment is lost

2. The lease runs low, the value of the property is reflected in this, we need to extend/renew the lease back to 99 years, we approach the freeholder for an extension:

2.1 He tells us to take a running jump, he is happy to let the lease run its course

2.2 He demands an outrageous percentage of the then current market value (he has us over a barrel)

3. After a period of time (could be 6 months could be 20 years) the Egyptian govt decide to reinstate that foreign nationals can purchase property as freeholders; however there is no new jurisdiction to automatically allow the existing leaseholders to convert to freehold.

As a consequence we are all left with white elephants, the market value would plummet, as all new investors would only look at freeholds, or buy our properties at vastly reduced market value.

Has anyone any experience of modifying their contracts in order to fully protect themselves from the scenarios described above?

Any feedback would be very welcome.

[Confused]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, your right in saying no one has nailed it, but thier wrong in saying they wont remove it, yes they can, get them to remove the % of anything stupid, but if you have paid and signed then its another story
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nagalka
Member # 12980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nagalka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mac0623 - remove what?

Key points in summary are that contracts need clauses that protect the leaseholders in all the scenarios as described above.

For each of the scenarios above what would you expect to do in order to protect your investment? Please advise,

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the lease should clearly state it is renewable all your cost should be stated at time of signing if your not happy before you sign then have them removed thier is many people i know who have had this done i would not go into putting clauses in to protect other clauses keep it simple
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mirox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nagalka,

You can include in your usufruct agreement a clause with a conditions precedent (being the change of legislation to allow freehold for foreigners in said land) to a freehold for a predetermined amount of money. In other words it's an option to buy freehold that can be exercised upon the change of legislation within the leasehold term.

Posts: 88 | From: Khonfesharia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nagalka
Member # 12980

Rate Member
Mirox,

OK that sounds like there is a process that can be put in place to allay my concerns.

What exactly did you do to protect yourself i.e. exactly what were your conditions precedent (in the context of my scenarios).

Did you use an independent solicitor, if so could you let me know who please (pm me if you prefer).

Thanks.

ian475
Member # 11095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ian475     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi mirox,not spoke with you for a long time now,hope you are well,thank you once again for your help when i needed it.
Posts: 117 | From: manchester uk | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

MIROX IS THAT A SHOWER UNIT
nagalka
Member # 12980

Rate Member
Mac0623: Does that mean you have made no provision for any of my scenarios?
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mirox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nagalka, I'm glad to be of help. I'm afraid I wouldn't go around looking for lawyers since I am one myself. The consditions precedent that you may have in your agreement is the simple contingency on the change of regulations and laws which would premit the lessee to own the property on freehold basis.

Ian, how are you my friend, hope life's treating you and the family well. Don't you intend to drop over for a coffee sometime soon? And, by the way,don't mention it friend. Take care and let me hear from you if you're going to be unable to drop by.

Posts: 88 | From: Khonfesharia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian475
Member # 11095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ian475     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mirox,i can promise you that when i am near cairo the coffees are on me,you helped me out a lot and i realy appreciate that.its nice to see that you are still helping people with good advice.see you soon my friend.
Posts: 117 | From: manchester uk | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nagalka
Member # 12980

Rate Member
Mirox,

Sent you a PM.

Nagalka.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com