EgyptSearch Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Doing Business in Egypt » eager new teacher!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eager new teacher!!
jeevio23
Member # 15144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeevio23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all,
I'm moving to Cairo in August. I am doing my TEFL course in the meantime however i am unsure if it would be better for me to take it in London or over there.
I have read that it is much more difficult to find work before you are actually there but thought i would just test the waters and see if i can make any contacts before i travel. I'm going to know no-one when i get out there! [Confused]
if I am lucky and one of you might be able to help me regarding employment just let me know what other information you might need and i will get to it straight away.
I;m extremely excited about the prospect and can't wait to get over there!! [Smile]

thanks in advance

p.s i have e-mailed everyone in the a-z contacts page i thought relevant so thanks to whoever set that up!

Posts: 20 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
topoftheworld
Member # 15107

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for topoftheworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF YOU ARE VERY BRAVE TO TAKE INSULTS,AND HAVE SOMEONE TO LOOK AT OUR PRIVATE LIFE THEN PM REDSEASCHOOL BEST ATTITUDE IN THE WORLD FOR A TEACHER AND A OWNER OF NURSERY ,SHE WILL MAKE YOU HERE SLAVE MAYBE YOU WILL GET PAID IF SHE IS IN THE MOOD.
SHE IS LOOKING FOR TEACHERS ON ES FORUM??????YEP

Posts: 38 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
topoftheworld
Member # 15107

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for topoftheworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G GORILLA GIRL IN JUNGLE TREE EATING BANANAS
Posts: 38 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you read topoftheworld??? Jeevio is moving to CAIRO.
@ Jeevio: what kind of work are you looking for?/what is your education?

Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeevio23
Member # 15144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeevio23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi GM44!

I am looking to teach English, ideally for young adults, if not teenagers.
I have a Modern History Degree and worked in recruitment for the two years since I left uni.
but that is not for me and i am desperate to do a career more suited to my personality.
anyway i haven't got any tefl qualifications yet as i am booking my course and am not sure which one to take(the internationally recognised ones are seriously expensive.)
I am male, i only say this cos somebody said something worrying that teaching positions for men are rare in Egypt, is that true?
i would be devestated if that was the case!
[Frown]

Posts: 20 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi jeevio23!

If you want a course that will be recognized in Egypt, go for a CELTA course; anything else will be looked down on, especially if you are just coming fresh from a course without any practical experience.

You can take a CELTA course here in Cairo; that might be worth looking into.

You can get teaching jobs as a man here, but you may find that some of the more Islamically inclined schools would prefer women teachers, especially to work with teenagers.

Check out this link for some more information: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=CELTA+Cairo&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enEG231EG231

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a list of centres in the UK that run the CELTA course [Smile]

I have also looked into doing this and have a couple o friends teaching ESOL, one has TESOL and she said that she thinks CELTA is more widely recognised, so I would agree with newcomer, that was what I found when I researched it [Smile]

http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/teaching/search.do?source=teacheraward&country=GB-ENG&qualification=10&Input=Search

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you manage to get a job from overseas you are more likely to be paid more. At some schools the difference between "Local Hire" and "Foreign Hire" can be double and that is including the factor of your foreign nationality.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe you can google for international schools and give them a call. Or send an email.
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most international schools (like CAC, NAC, MAC, MES, AIS, etc) aren't going to hire a teacher with only a CELTA or TEFL certification....they usually want an ESL teacher who has a degree in ESL from an accredited university and certification from their state/region

--------------------
"It's very important to learn how to weasel out of things. It's what separates us from the animals...except the weasel." ~Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeevio23
Member # 15144

Rate Member
thank you all for your help. i'm glad i found this forum. [Smile]

of course ideally i would love to have a job waiting for me when i come over. however i am not naive, how many schools are going to offer a position for a newly qualified teacher with no experience in that field they haven't even met?
for the moment I am going to do some more research, follow your advice and keep my fingers crossed.
i don't mind working for a small school as long as the pay covers my living costs and i have a smile on my face at work.
something which hasn't happened a lot recently! [Big Grin]
if the likely scenario happens and i don't get a job before i get out there then i don't mind getting myself a guide and going round all the schools in Cairo until i find myself what i'm looking for!
here's hoping it all works out!

thanks again for your advice and in the unlikely event any of you hear something on the grapevine keep me in mind!

jeevio23
Member # 15144

Rate Member
hey.

just an update, due to money and time restrictions i have decided to go for an i to i tefl certificate. its 100 hours, and is recognised by PDLQC and SQMS whatever that is. I know i'm taking a risk but you have to have 4 weeks off for a full time celta course in England and that sadly means 4 weeks not at work which would mean i would lose a huge amount of money. similarly the celta in Egypt doesn't match up with the time that i am going over.
i have read good reviews on it so i'm gonna take my chances. Hopefully as long as i get something which pays me ok, i can look at the International schools when I have a years experience.
there has to be plenty of smaller schools and colleges in Egypt that will not be requiring a top class CELTA certificate right?

lets hope so, thanks for your help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com