EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » What does it take to be an Egyptian?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does it take to be an Egyptian?
Malcolm-X
Member # 3356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malcolm-X   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone,
I'd like to apologize if I'm going to write up a long message, but your messages and thoughts that I have been reading for the last month or so encouraged me to take this opportunity to share some of my humble thoughts with you.

I've been reading with great interest most of the messages sent on this forum. I admit (to be honest) that I came across the forum when I was searching for Egyptian ladies living abroad and what they do, but I found that the forum could be a good place to have some constructive discussions. Well, firstly, I'm an Egyptian (27 years old just in case somebody wonders) living and working mostly in Ireland, although I spend a couple of months in the UK and the US each year. I'm a design engineer for one of those major research companies.

Undoubtedly we all love Egypt, either living in it, away from it, or just visiting it for days, but I always wondered if that is really a true love, or just fascination by what Egypt offers, Shouldn't true love mean that we have to do, to the best of our abilities, whatever we can to make it a better place?. Certainly, I'm in no position to impose my thoughts or preach, but I'm just thinking out loud with you all, it seems that there is a long way to go before we can say that Egypt is a better place, and in saying better place, I mean, some aspects that are lagging way behind, I wonder every morning when we wake up, what do we think about?. Do we have some mission to live up to? or Are we just living each day to its own?, I'm no different from anyone here, I always ask the same question, but I think I always find the answer, I always want to go back to Egypt and make it a better place,
and speaking for myself and my career, there is a great deal to be done, scientifcally at the least.

Rest assured that we do have some of the finest minds in the world, and just look around you if you are abroad for Egyptians in key positions, and believe me we share the same passion for this country, we always think about what we can do for her, we always wake up in the morning and dream about Egypt being the leading country in everyone's field, we always ask ourselves what does it really take to be an Egyptian?.

Thanks for your patience and I hope I didn't bore you with my less than humble thoughts.

Salam.
M-X

Posts: 18 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Masr
Member # 3429

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Bent Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello melcom x
i am also an egyption living in the uk. u now i read ur msg and u r absolutely right. the thing is young people are all asleep and if u r a muslim no offence to any christians out there i think that u would understand what i mean i don't want to go into detials coz i don't want to take a lot of ur time but u now egyptions have the most cleaver and powerful brains if u come to think about it and iam not declaring this because i am an egyption but its true its proven sicentficlly. if u remember offcourse we were one of the most powerful countries in the world to prove this we kicked out the jews and the french and more countries but u already now this my point is that egyptions have excellent passion for their country and u now that they will certinaly hand their lives on a gold plate for their country the only thing that is making us a sleep is our presedents if u now what i mean
thank u for reading my msg even though its very long but i hope u understod what i mean

aya

Posts: 33 | From: london | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm-X
Member # 3356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malcolm-X   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bent Masr,
Thanks for replying, I was waiting for ages for someone to reply from the UK or Ireland, and finally here comes you with your wonderful message, I have had very interesting debate on this topic on the threads "Living in Egypt" and "Visiting Egypt", and surprisingly, I found more response from non-Egyptians, please check those replies for more interesting comments and thoughts, I'm a Muslim or even if I'm Christian, it doesn't really matter, Muslims and Christians are responsible for Egypt.

I like many of your points, and I hope one day we can have a say on the future of our beloved, as I said everyone in his field, I'm close to swearing to do something for Egypt, and I hope we all think in the same way.

The one thing that I little bit disagree with you on is that we shouldn't really blame anyone but ourselves for not moving forward, there are always opportunities out there, we just have to go and get them.

As a parting note, What do you study in London?, that's of course if it is not a personal issue.

Your reply hasn't been long at all, thanks for that. There are also some other interesting topics about Islam raised by member "Undead", and I replied on them, and I think you could contribute to this discussion as well.

Looking forward to reading your comments again.

MX

Posts: 18 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Masr
Member # 3429

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm-X:
Bent Masr,
Thanks for replying, I was waiting for ages for someone to reply from the UK or Ireland, and finally here comes you with your wonderful message, I have had very interesting debate on this topic on the threads "Living in Egypt" and "Visiting Egypt", and surprisingly, I found more response from non-Egyptians, please check those replies for more interesting comments and thoughts, I'm a Muslim or even if I'm Christian, it doesn't really matter, Muslims and Christians are responsible for Egypt.

I like many of your points, and I hope one day we can have a say on the future of our beloved, as I said everyone in his field, I'm close to swearing to do something for Egypt, and I hope we all think in the same way.

The one thing that I little bit disagree with you on is that we shouldn't really blame anyone but ourselves for not moving forward, there are always opportunities out there, we just have to go and get them.

As a parting note, What do you study in London?, that's of course if it is not a personal issue.

Your reply hasn't been long at all, thanks for that. There are also some other interesting topics about Islam raised by member "Undead", and I replied on them, and I think you could contribute to this discussion as well.

Looking forward to reading your comments again.

MX

Posts: 33 | From: london | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shusha
Member # 3563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shusha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi mx i am also an egyptian living abroad although i must admit that the longest i have stayed in egypt was when i was 3 and that was for two years i then returned to egypt after a 13 year absence at 18, and to be quite honest my thoughts were similar to yours this is such a great country only lacking some updating egypt has all the resources it needs to make herself into one of the worlds leading countries, so why arent the "shabab" doing anything to make this happen. I know u say we shouldnt blame anyone for why there is a lag in its modernisation but to be honest i think some blame should be put on the previous generations who do not want to let go of their control and pass it on to a new generation who may have new ideas. I hope i am making sense. Sure the younger generation are not doing anything but i also think that this is due to the older generation not giving them the much needed chance to prove their worth. I have since been back to egypt a couple of time and although i enjoy my holidays there imensly i can honestly say that until there is some updating done to the way things are run there, i could not live there on a permanent basis.
Posts: 32 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Masr
Member # 3429

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello shusha

i agree with what you are saying , most young people in egypt now don't work, doctors,engeneers and many more educated people , they graduate and stay at home because there are no jobs , i think if all these young people get the chance to prove them selves egypt once again will be one of the powerful countries insh2allah. i think that most young people want to do something to the mother of the world to improve its financla ,polictical and relogius problems. Also if we have good leaders that we could look up to, i think that our leaders are puting our faces in the mud. ( 7ateen wheshena fe el teen)

thanx
Bent Masr

shusha
Member # 3563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shusha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi bent masr i totally agree there definately needs to be a lot more opportunities for the younger generation it is very sad to see all of these educated people with nothing to do because of the lack of jobs available all they keep gettiing is empty promises that things will improve but so far nothing has really been done to change the problems faced by the new generation. Although i have not personally experienced the problems faced by the egyptian youth i am speaking from what i saw my cousins and relatives go through while i was there.
Posts: 32 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Masr
Member # 3429

Rate Member
hi shusha

how r u i hoppe good. i am gald that u agree with me. u know if young egyptians have chances to work i am sure that egypt would have been a very rich country, i mean if all thoes people who garduated as doctors, teachers,engenners ..... and much more will make the country a better place like they say. egypt was once a rich country but i hope they become rich once more. i now what u mean by ur cousins and realtives , i havn't been living in egypt for a long time to but i know what u mean.
hope to hear from u again
bye
Bent Masr

ruby700
Member # 5450

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ruby700     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi malcolm
your message caught my attention about what do we have to do with egypt at this stage
i suppose its true love!! simply the need of a home, i am not homesick or anything but even if it is not the best level of security as in financial, career etc u know what i mean but still u can call yourself when u r there i belong there a word combination u can hardly fit into your talk in ire/ uk/ us.. this belong thing gets clearer the more u get involved with guys/girls from here ( here is ireland for me i work as a pharmacist here in a dublin hospital am 23, girl,, just in case u wonder)
wasnt clear as to fascination by what egypt offers, hope u didnt mean the pyramids but i think its the belonging thing the family the freinds i dont see what else, i want to go back but its not tempting..
so we said its true love , but we need to offer something, so we do have a lot to offer our education and our experience and maybe a different approach to everything, but do u think it is wanted , should we offer something nobody is ready to appreciate
? i mean in egypt no body is serious about anything and i dont see any plan working i dont know why plus however much u offer of your supposedly precious science and experience it is not appreciated enough if at all, where as here needless to say the people can worship and completely trust u for what u know and someone listens

what we think about when we wake up in the morning probably about going back but about the risks we 'll be taking

but i reached the decision that risks have to be taken and starting by doing my best is least i can do egypt is a world in its own right u cant change it all but start at where u stand maybe even though the possibilities of going back and going down are high..

mmm long message sorry.. thanks for reading

Posts: 2 | From: dublin, ireland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm-X
Member # 3356

Rate Member
Hi Ruby,

Thanks for your message. I have to say that you are the first Egyptian that I have seen (heard of) in Ireland. Pleased to see you around. I live in Limerick but will be in Cork for sometime, it will be great to hear how you are getting on in Dublin as a pharamcist. You can contact me at my email if you would like some Egyptian flavour to Ireland . Well, my original message was mainly asking how we can make our country better or if there is a real purpose of doing so, I think I got a mixed bag of replies, yours was as interesting. I do agree with you that belonging is a great thing especially when it is to Egypt, but I also think that we can't wait and ask if our contribution would matter or not because in the bigger picture it probably does matter although we might not see immediate results but the collective efforts could make a difference. I know it is always hard to convery this when we see the realities of everything but I hope someday we can get over this and say that we can do something. Good to hear from you anyway and welcome to Ireland.

yaya_mah
Member # 4612

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yaya_mah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm-X:
Hello Everyone,
I'd like to apologize if I'm going to write up a long message, but your messages and thoughts that I have been reading for the last month or so encouraged me to take this opportunity to share some of my humble thoughts with you.

I've been reading with great interest most of the messages sent on this forum. I admit (to be honest) that I came across the forum when I was searching for Egyptian ladies living abroad and what they do, but I found that the forum could be a good place to have some constructive discussions. Well, firstly, I'm an Egyptian (27 years old just in case somebody wonders) living and working mostly in Ireland, although I spend a couple of months in the UK and the US each year. I'm a design engineer for one of those major research companies.

Undoubtedly we all love Egypt, either living in it, away from it, or just visiting it for days, but I always wondered if that is really a true love, or just fascination by what Egypt offers, Shouldn't true love mean that we have to do, to the best of our abilities, whatever we can to make it a better place?. Certainly, I'm in no position to impose my thoughts or preach, but I'm just thinking out loud with you all, it seems that there is a long way to go before we can say that Egypt is a better place, and in saying better place, I mean, some aspects that are lagging way behind, I wonder every morning when we wake up, what do we think about?. Do we have some mission to live up to? or Are we just living each day to its own?, I'm no different from anyone here, I always ask the same question, but I think I always find the answer, I always want to go back to Egypt and make it a better place,
and speaking for myself and my career, there is a great deal to be done, scientifcally at the least.

Rest assured that we do have some of the finest minds in the world, and just look around you if you are abroad for Egyptians in key positions, and believe me we share the same passion for this country, we always think about what we can do for her, we always wake up in the morning and dream about Egypt being the leading country in everyone's field, we always ask ourselves what does it really take to be an Egyptian?.

Thanks for your patience and I hope I didn't bore you with my less than humble thoughts.

Salam.
M-X

Hey MalcolmX....
with all due respect for your feelings...I think people overdo it with the concept of HOMELAND....I'm an Egyptian who lived all my life in Egypt...never been on a plane before...and my comcept of "home" is totally different from yous...home is mom...home is where you've been raised..your favorite armchair ...or even the place u like best in the whole world...and one other thing..I think no one does anything for thier "country"...we do for ourselves...Napoleon didn't turn from an artilary soldier to an emperor for the sake of France,,but to achieve his own personal glory...and it actually didn't matter to him how many are going to be dead to be able to pull it off for himself....HIMSELF...not france...did he do good to France? yes on the long run he did....Did he help to make it a better place? well in fact he did....but was he thinking france??? noooo...he was thinking Napoleon..people can be very weak before the idea of POWER....sorry for the Napoleon story but it seems to me like a very good example..so if everyone works for himself..then why the hell is there good countries and bad countries...poor and rich...it all depends on how you think of ur very own abilities and not wether or not you were thinking of your country..and if Egypt's getting some benefits from your success..then haliloya...if not...no harm done...conflict of interests...bottom line....think..how am I gonna be a better person...how can I keep my head in this wild world...and am I the person I'd like to be or not...your family...your children if u have any...that's how we should help for our comunity (arab muslims and christians) to be better..thank u...ta da

Posts: 9 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DazedAndConfused
Member # 5216

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DazedAndConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yaya_mah:
Hey MalcolmX....
with all due respect for your feelings...I think people overdo it with the concept of HOMELAND....I'm an Egyptian who lived all my life in Egypt...never been on a plane before...and my comcept of "home" is totally different from yous...home is mom...home is where you've been raised..your favorite armchair ...or even the place u like best in the whole world...and one other thing..I think no one does anything for thier "country"...we do for ourselves...Napoleon didn't turn from an artilary soldier to an emperor for the sake of France,,but to achieve his own personal glory...and it actually didn't matter to him how many are going to be dead to be able to pull it off for himself....HIMSELF...not france...did he do good to France? yes on the long run he did....Did he help to make it a better place? well in fact he did....but was he thinking france??? noooo...he was thinking Napoleon..people can be very weak before the idea of POWER....sorry for the Napoleon story but it seems to me like a very good example..so if everyone works for himself..then why the hell is there good countries and bad countries...poor and rich...it all depends on how you think of ur very own abilities and not wether or not you were thinking of your country..and if Egypt's getting some benefits from your success..then haliloya...if not...no harm done...conflict of interests...bottom line....think..how am I gonna be a better person...how can I keep my head in this wild world...and am I the person I'd like to be or not...your family...your children if u have any...that's how we should help for our comunity (arab muslims and christians) to be better..thank u...ta da

Any chance you were going for ":YoYo Mah" ???

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DazedAndConfused
Member # 5216

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for DazedAndConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Masr:
u now egyptions have the most cleaver and powerful brains if u come to think about it and iam not declaring this because i am an egyption but its true its proven sicentficlly.

Proven scientifically......

[This message has been edited by DazedAndConfused (edited 12 October 2004).]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com