EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » Jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jobs
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for white hart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I am new to the forum, but I check out some of the topics every day!!!! My husband is Egyptian, and he has just moved to England (London), YIPEE!! He has only been here a few weeks and is looking for work. His English is ok, but he has very little confidence at the moment talking to other people in English, which I suppose is normal as he hasn't been here long. What would be the best way to find a job, (he was working as a waiter on an English cruise ship before coming here, but he is willing to do anything as he is getting very bored now and he really hates me paying for everything). He has asked in a lot of restaurants and tried to join employment agencies but with no luck, and this weekend maybe will try asking in hotels or supermarkets. Is there anyone on this forum who's been through the same thing and can give me some advice on what he can do as he is really down at the moment. Thanks in advance!!!

Posts: 17 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for white hart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way in case anyone was interested, I am 25 and he is 26.....!!!!!!
Posts: 17 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He will soon be getting his JSA which is around 60 pounds/ wk.meanwhile, why do not pick the TNT and Midweek free mags off the undergroung stations. They have 100's of PT and Perm jobs.
A walk in Edgeware Rd may help as well. They know each others there.Also there are a few Egyptian restaurants and other arab cafes that may be interesting.
Get him to make friends with other Arabs, they will do their best for him.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice from salama.... just what i was going to suggest.... also may be worth going to central mosque in Regents Park... and having a word with the Egyotian imams... they've got lots of contacts and local knowledge!
Best of luck and keep us informed!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lodza22
Member # 8114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lodza22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am from Zimbabwe and also love to work where your husband used to work at those English cruise ships how can i apply White hart
Posts: 4 | From: Zimbabwe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for white hart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies. He has heard from someone, who knows his family where he's from, and he is manager of some restaurants in London and he is looking into whether he has vacancies anywhere, so fingers crossed this week he will hear something definate. I am sorry lodza22 but I am not sure, he got the job on the cruise ship through his uncle who was the manager on one of them. But will ask him.
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Whitehart,
Please feel free to email me. I live v.near to London and might be able to help.
Let me know via the forum and i'll send you my address.

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smarah
Member # 8191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Whitehart

He can also contact the Egyptian association in the UK they will help him here is the link check it out with good look. http://www.egyptianuk.com/

quote:
Originally posted by white hart:
Thanks for your replies. He has heard from someone, who knows his family where he's from, and he is manager of some restaurants in London and he is looking into whether he has vacancies anywhere, so fingers crossed this week he will hear something definate. I am sorry lodza22 but I am not sure, he got the job on the cruise ship through his uncle who was the manager on one of them. But will ask him.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Thanks again for advice, very helpful. By the way, he went to Edgeware Road and asked in quite a few places, one egyptian restaurant offered him a job, £2.00 per hour, working 60 hours per week!!!

Farhana - how can you help?

white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Still no luck on the work front, still waiting for the friend of his family to find him something, trouble is how do you know if they are serious or not or just saying they will help to look good?? Farhana, are you still able to help???

Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitehart....has he got his work visa...Minimum rate wage in UK is about £5.50 per hour....£2 is slave labour. Why doesnt he try the hospitals, there are lots of jobs with in a hospital and he will get the mimimum rate......if he has work permit. But he MUST have one or he will be used as cheep labour
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Thanks, hadn't thought of hospitals, would it be best to go in there or ring up do you think??? The visa he has is a spouse visa, so I think that covers him for working here.
Eman
Member # 8360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White Heart,

Have you tried the airport hotels? I stayed in one of the Heathrow hotels once (sorry can't remember which one) but I do remember that the vast majority of the staff did not speak English as their first language. There were all kinds of first languages - European, Asian etc. (I would think some were students, but quite a lot were older than that)

Maybe that would be a way to go, where you're husband could earn better money?????

Eman

Posts: 12 | From: Luxor, egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there done that, 10 years ago though. My English was broken when I arrived in London to work and live, I am native German. I applied at couple of stores and even fast-food chains without getting immediate notification of acceptance. I needed money badly. Then I stepped into one store on Oxford St. and was able to start the very next day (I had a wonderful boss ). So it took me little over a week to gather employment.

Just really let him try to apply anywhere possible. They also have job centers in London where he can go and ask for employment. Even if the salary is not the greatest its a start to get more practise in the work field and in the English language. He will feel very good when he will bring his first English Pounds home. If he's doing a great job, they will offer him after some time a higher position incl. a pay raise or if your husband is opting to find a more suitable employment they will not mind to give him a great reference letter.

I am very happy that your husband is eager to work and doesn't want only to sit on his butt.

Good luck for his job search and best wishes to you both in great London. Everything's gonna work out well, just give it a little time!

PS: It might not be the best idea if he starts to work in an mostly Arabic-speaking environment like an Middle Eastern restaurant. It's best he will be forced to speak English at all times at his job.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 26 July 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by white hart:
Thanks, hadn't thought of hospitals, would it be best to go in there or ring up do you think??? The visa he has is a spouse visa, so I think that covers him for working here.

As you seem to have internet access, look up the web sites for the various hospitals, and go to jobs, or they may contract out to agencys but the sites will guide you....
He will have to have security clearance as well..all workers in hospitals have too...

Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Thanks again for your replies! And thanks Tigerlily for the luck! How long before you got a job when you came here?? I keep telling my husband it will take time, but he is so impatient!! Think he is just frastrated because he wants to help with rent, food and buy me nice things etc. At least I know he is genuinely looking for work and has not come to England to do nothing and for me to support him. I have been looking on the internet for him and applying for jobs for him, but I trust that something will come along for him.
carly
Member # 5244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there, would it be possible to exchange emails? im kind of in a similar situation with my boyfriend who is coming over, would love to have a chat with you, if you wouldn't mind....thanks
carly

Posts: 11 | From: london, uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Sure that would be fine, not sure about putting email address on this site though?? Don't know how else to give you my email.

When is your boyfriend moving here and I take it he's from Egypt??!!!

carly
Member # 5244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, yeah hes from cairo and in the process of applying for a visa etc.....except dont know how long that will actually take.....
ill put mine up and perhaps just take it off the site when i receive an email from you......
its tiggerfr@hotmail.com
thanks again.....

Posts: 11 | From: london, uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
white hart
Member # 8113

Rate Member
Hiya, just to let you know that I have sent you an email, so you can take your address off the post.

Thanks

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Whitehart:
I am not sure if I am going to be any help here or not ,, but will do my best..you said that husband applied at some employment agencies but no luck.. what sort of agenices he applied for? he should not look only for the same sort of work he used to do in Egypt. as myself Egyptian in London , I know that most of the egyptian who come to Europe if not all of them would like to find at least miiddle class work.. so they limit their search.. have he tried to check and ask at the job centres? did he apply at some local stores as woolworth? most of the big chain stores hire new staff all the time ,, only go and ask for an application form and they will contat you when they need and they do that very often... did he try to apply for manual/handy jobs? as wearhouses packers ? there are so many agencies and they are looking for some people all the time speically for night shifts.. and they do not need any good english at all.. I can add cleaning jobs as well.. which is not bad at all ,, and you will find most of the nigerians in London are doing that sort of jobs for two reasons.. the payment is good and there is no hard efforts.,,, only they have to start at very early hours in the morning.,,, I am talking about cleaning for offices and colleges.. but again most of the egyptian think that it is a low class job and they would have done better one in Egypt.. welll in this case they have to remain in Egypt.. so ask your husband to do some sacrifies in the begining and I am sure he will be having good job very soon
Good luck
Mohsen

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh i know this position so good,my husband is in the same position here,not in England,so i cant help you,i cant help so much him even!He find job in one restaurant as cooker,he cooks cool,so they took him,but im angry that his salary half of one normal worker,so im still looking job for him,even in agencies,or works abroad,all cheaters!
to bring him is the last problem,after this the job searching is killing,.......in the best case,are the relations,who have good relations solve this easy!
Wish you luck!
Didi

Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pondered
Member # 5222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pondered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your replies again from last month. Update - My husband finally has a job! He is now working in a well known fast food restaurant! Not the most glamourous place but at least its a start and he shouldn't get ripped off as will get the minimum wage.
Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He can try a restaurant named: Mash in Great portlatnt street tube station is Oxford street I know that they always look for people don't know why..
Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com