EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » Finding suitable work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding suitable work
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband got his visa last month to come to the UK and will be coming over in early March, Inshallah. He's got degrees in Tourism and languages (English and German) and is currently having a panic attack that he won't find a decent job when he gets here. He loves his job in tourism at the moment and will be very sad to give it up and leave behind his colleagues, some of whom he's been with for 8 years, through university and all his working life.

We're both prepared for it to take a while for him to settle, although he hopes to find something worthwhile fairly quickly, because he hates the thought of me going out to work to support him, while he's at home. Does anyone with any experience of this kind of situation have any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Romeooo
Member # 9692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Romeooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Blue skies
i can understand what ur husban feels now,coz u can say i am having the same as him ,that i am married to a dutch girl and will be moving to holland hopefully next may and i am just waiting for the visa,and also my fears are about work and leaving tourism field that i love behind and i have been to holland last august and found there are so much differences than in here in egypt espcially about jobs and careers and his concern about u work and support him and ofcaurse this will be only for a while,coz this thought about a woman support her man is always not a welcoming thought at all for egyptian men

i can only say that with ur eacother love u will get through it and eventually he will find a decent job and it just needs some patience from u both and good luck

Posts: 19 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rameooo, and the same to you - I hope you settle well in Holland and that you find the job you deserveand that will make you happy and fulfilled.

I know we'll be fine, it's just the short-term not knowing that's going to be hard, but we'll keep strong and patient together. Within a year or so we plan to be back in Egypt, so I know it's just a matter of time, really and it's out of our hands. Good luck to you too!

Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
It will be difficult at first, my suggestion is that you approach companies now, for him, sending his C.V. Maybe to local hotels or travel shops, lunn poly or thomas cook.
I am assuming he speaks english, so it should be easy. However he has to be prepared to take any job, factory work, customer service etc. Remember your always more employable once you have a job, its easier to move on.
He will find it hard and also he may feel a drop in "status". If your here to make money then return to egypt, factory jobs etc.. can make more than a salaried job. He will need to register with the local tax office to get a NI number etc. WIthout this he can't work, and expect to pay emergency tax once he does start work.
He may struggle with the different way we work here in the Uk than in Egypt, egypt is a much slower pace.
Also he should try enrolling in a couple of courses, computer courses, or english language development etc.. this way he will meet some people.
Hope all works well with you.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Thanks for your reply, Malak. I've been busy doing just this for the last few days, so hopefully something may come out of it. He knows it's not going to just land in his lap and is prepared for a hard couple of months while he finds his feet here. Luckily his English is excellent, so that may help a bit. There are a couple of big supermarkets nearby that he may go to, just to get something with some money coming in while he settles down and gets used to life here. The 'drop in status' is something he's a bit concerned about, but his pride at being able to support me and pay his own way overrides that.

Thanks again!

Canadian desert
Member # 10167

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canadian desert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

Based on my experience here in Canada, I would love to advise your husband to do the following:-
1- since he has a degree in Tourism, he should contact a University in UK, and ask for credit evaluation of the courses he studded in Egypt. He should send the university his original transcripts and whatever they will ask for. this way he should have a clear idea about how many courses are left to obtain a degree from UK. Tourism industry differ from one country to another, she he should expect to study for 1 up to 2 years to obtain a degree. Believe me, this is not a waste of time or money. This is the only way to get the $$$ u r looking for. You have to convince him with that you will work hard to support him for 1 or 2 years, after that it will be his turn to take the responsibility.
Also he has to understand that he will need a transition period of time to get used to the new country and the new life style, and the best way to do that is to go back to university. Also, don't think that both of you will be able to earn that much out of working for 1 year in order to be able to go back to Egypt! try to be more realistic.
By the way, I am a chartered accountant, and I work in Ottawa - Canada.

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Canadian Desert, Thanks for your response - he had heard this about the validation and extra study, so it's good to get this confirmed. He thinks he may be able to work part time, as we will need the extra money. I've been working in a pub a couple of nights a week, which he doesn't really like because of the obvious alcohol connection, so ideally he wants to find something for a couple of nights a week to take the pressure off.

Our one year plan to move back to Egypt isn't about saving money - quite the opposite in fact. My boss here in the UK has said that when the time comes I can work remotely from Cairo, and still get paid my English salary, which will certainly go a lot further out there. I would quite happily go tomorrow, but my husband thinks its only fair to give it a go over here for a while, so he can get to know my family and all about the culture I've grown up in. If he gets here and hates it and wants to go home after a few months, then that won't be the end of the world!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com