EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » A driving licence in Holland

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A driving licence in Holland
Romeooo
Member # 9692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Romeooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone

I am Egyptian and going to move to holland end of May and i was wondering if i am able to use my egyptian driving licence in holland or should i get a new one from there anyway

someone told me i can make an international licenec from egypt and it may work there,is that right?!!

i will appreciate ur help so much
thanks in advance
have a beutiful life to u all.

Posts: 19 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needsomeone
Member # 9046

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for needsomeone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U may use your( EIDL ) up to six months, then you will need to apply for Dutch driving Licence.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Romeo,

What I see is that you can't use youre Egyptian driverslicence. And I am not even sure that you can use an international driverslicence.

Try this website
http://www.rdw.nl/nl/digitale_diensten/voor_voertuigeigenaren/brochures.htm and find the english brochure or a contactadress so you can ask you're question directly.

My husband had to get a driverslicence all over again and it was very expensive. He also had an Egyptian driverslicence.

Demiana

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest you take you're driverslicence along with you anyway. My dh had the habit of keeping a lot of documents in Egypt and that costed him extra time in case he needed something, he had to wait for the next holiday to get it.
He also had to have his schoolcertificates evaluated. And for that reason he had to collect stamped certificates from school and university. Just another year to wait again. If you get married here you need a document stated that you are not married. You can have the lot translated over here, but you will need the official documents.

Demiana

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
If you have you're stamped certificates translated in English (by an offical professional) it is likely that you can use them here, no garantee though, since the costs for all of this are huge over here. If you have someone over here that is you're contact have them find out what you need in detail before you get here. We are a very bureaucratic country, very annoying!

Demiana

--------------------

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Oh boy, so many memories, here is another one.
Be very carefull that different pieces are translated using the same latin letters for arabic.
We had a huge problem since the birthcertificate of my dh stated just one different letter where the passport would. So at least be carefull that you're full name and birthplace is translated the same on any document.

Demiana

--------------------

mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
catch the bus [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
I take a lot of space today, but I am sure you have to get a drivers licence all over again. Sorry!

At the site it says you can only use the driverslicence of European countries and some related other countries (look downwards)

An international license is just a translation of you're national license and cannot be used either.

Demiana

Aruba
België
Cyprus
Denemarken
Duitsland
Estland
Finland
Frankrijk
Griekenland
Groot Brittannië en Noord-Ierland
Hongarije
Ierland
IJsland
Italië
Jersey (Staten van)
Letland
Liechtenstein
Litouwen
Luxemburg
Man (eiland)
Malta
Monaco
Nederlandse Antillen
Noorwegen
Oostenrijk
Polen
Portugal
Spanje
Slovenië
Slowakije
Tjechië
Zweden
Zwitserland

Rijbewijzen afgegeven in de volgende landen kunnen uitsluitend worden omgewisseld als ze geldig zijn voor de vermelde categorieën:

Taiwan - B -personenauto - Nederlands rijbewijs categorie B
Israël - B - personenauto - Nederlands rijbewijs categorie B
Japan IB - personenauto en motorfiets met meer dan 400 cm3 - Nederlands rijbewijs categorieën A en B
Singapore - Class 2 - motorfiets met meer dan 400 cm³ en Class 3 - personenauto - Nederlands rijbewijs categorieën A en B
Andorra-personenauto-Nederlands rijbewijs categorie B
Zuid-Korea - second class ordinary licence - Nederlands rijbewijs categorie B

Internationale rijbewijzen
Internationale rijbewijzen zijn slechts gelegaliseerde vertalingen van een nationaal rijbewijs. Deze kunt u dus niet omwisselen voor een Nederlands rijbewijs.

--------------------

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
catch the bus

Very true!
Depending on where you will live there is excellent public transport. I got rid of my car since I had so many problems finding a parking space and the 'file' too many cars around Amsterdam trying to progress at the same time mornings and afternoons.
Try get a monthcard or a yearcard instead of single cards for the bus/metro. Much cheaper and taxdeductable if you have any income and use the transportation to get work or go to work (not for pleasure). Get a 'kortingskaart' for the train. You'll benefit after a few rides of the 40% cheaper you will get the train (outside of peaktimes that is).

Demiana

--------------------

Romeooo
Member # 9692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Romeooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demiana,
dankje wel
really thank u so much for ur detailed informations,it is a real big help to me,i already transelated my birth and unmarriage certificates into english and i have done that twice because first time my girl needed them to apply to IND and then i needed them here to apply them to the embassy but they were already expired so i had to start them all over again unfortunatlly

and about the driving licence i just hear i could make an international one from egypt and it may be accepted there in holland because i heard it really costs so much there,and maybe i will not need this driving licenec that much there in holland coz i will be living with my GF in Erp/Veghel and it is a small town but i wanted to get everything possible i can have from egypt soi can use it there instead of waiting till next vacation to get them or to do them from holland because as u say it is costing alot.

anyway i guess i will stick with (bike),more benefits and cheaper lol.

as long as u r having a lot of the same experince with ur husband,i will take this chance and ask u :
how long it may take to get the ID of work?
when can i start my dutch langauge shcool?
is it possible to work before i get this ID?

thank u in advance and wish u all the best of luck!!

Ramy.

Posts: 19 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramy welcome.
Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Hi Ramy,
I can't tell you how long it all will take, since my dh had this a long time ago when things were much easier. And it will also depend on the area you are in if they have enough capacity and are organised enough. Here in Amsterdam they start every 6 weeks with Dutch language courses. Sometimes you have to wait a long time for the IND though to get the right papers to attend class and get a work permit. The best thing though is to not rely on working in the beginning but to get every schooling you can get. That will improve you're Dutch and you're chances on good jobs instead of lowpaid and annoying or temperary jobs. It is a shame to say but after so many years my dh is only now getting the right courses in Dutch language and organisational skills.
He had a lot so-called 'white'jobs, but he is also sometimes helping out other Egyptians and gets payd some extra money on the side that way in snackbars and computer set-up and repair/mobile phone set-up and repair. Not to be relied on, and even somewhat dangerous if you don't have a workpermit. And one does need a 'white' job to fit in eventually, those jobs will pay you're social security and pension.
I'll ask around about the time-limits though, maybe someone might come up with something.

Demiana

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Ramy you could see the English Forum on 'stichting Buitenlandse Partner'
They are the group best informed on all sorts of information on this.

http://www.buitenlandsepartner.nl/forum/viewforum.php?f=172&sid=b1c0a03bea9aa7b1fc991c777dd001e3

You could even ask a question yourself. Those matters are getting more and more complicated since they are talking about a new law, not yet approved in chambers.

They might have some answers for you. Are you going to IND/Dutch-courses in Veghel or Eindhoven?

Wish you luck Ramy, very good to get informed yourself. Take it easy, relax and dive in!:-)

Demiana

--------------------

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
http://www.ind.nl/EN/index.asp

The English site of the official IND-site

Demiana

--------------------

Romeooo
Member # 9692

Rate Member
thank u so much Demiana for all ur answers and hese websites ,they r really usefull and helping so much especially 'stichting Buitenlandse Partner'

actually i believe i will join IND/Dutch courses in Veghel as my girlfriend told me where it will be

best wishes
Ramy

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romeoo,

I think Egypt is included in an agreement with the EU countries.
At least my husband when he moved to Finland we were told that the agreement is called the wiena agreement.
You have to have your Egyptian driving licence translated.
You can drive with it 6 months and after that you need to fill in a form where 2 locals will proove that you have been driving for 6 months in that country, 2 photos and a health check up and than they take your egyptian driving licence to keep and you get an EU driving licence for as long as you stay there (can be forever) you get the egyptian licence back if you move back to Egypt.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Romeooo
Member # 9692

Rate Member
Hi Mimmi,
thank u for ur reply
now im abit confused....should i do an international here in egypt and can use it in holland,or should not?!!!

but anyway i understood from ur reply that ur husband is egypian and faced the same problem

and because here in egypt to make or issue any governmental paper it takes alot of effort and money as well and ur husband can tell u about it [Frown]

so what i am gonna do is getting that international driving licene anyway and hope it will work as u say and if not at least i tried

but if it really works it means that i will save both time and money coz i knew it is costing in holland much more than here in egypt and also requests alot of courses and tests

wish me luck and thanx for ur infos
have a good life!
Ramy

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
I am sorry that there are always stories going around. I have never heard of the Vienna agreement as signed by the Dutch gouvernment, but who knows. An international driverslicence is clearly denied on the website of the CBR, the legal organisation for this.
But I want to stress another thing. Don't go by stories, you will hear a lot going around, possibly irritating you're girlfriend to the bone, if she is half as informed and concerned as I am, but check the information from the 'horses mouth' and if you can pay for it eventually you could ask a specialized lawyer, since I am sure not even all gouvernmental institutions know the rules and possibilities. Sometimes you have to proceed up to the European court to get you're right.
But ask this on 'Buitenlandse Partner' if anyone, someone there might know something. Then again, they are not in charge of the decision to grant it to you, the CBR is.

Demiana

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Why it is annoying is becaus you are obliged to follow up and find out if any information of any of these stories is in fact true. I will do it once for old times sake!:-)

The Vienna agreement (of 1968) is solely about members of the EU as stated in this Dutch document on the EU-website:

"Richtlijn 80/1263/EEG van de Raad was het belangrijkste besluit van internationaal recht het Verdrag van Wenen inzake het wegverkeer (1968). Dit Verdrag had betrekking op het internationale grensoverschrijdende verkeer. Telkens wanneer .........communautaire burgers......... zich metterwoon in een andere ......lidstaat......... vestigden, waren bilaterale overeenkomsten van toepassing. Veelal dienden de burgers hun rijbewijs in te wisselen en opnieuw een theoretisch en praktisch examen af te leggen en een medisch onderzoek te ondergaan om een rijbewijs te verkrijgen dat was afgegeven door de nieuwe lidstaat waar hun gewone verblijfplaats was. Het Europees Hof van Justitie echter beschouwde deze praktijk als een belemmering voor het vrij verkeer van personen en verzocht de instellingen dringend de nodige wetgeving op dat gebied in te voeren. "

More information on:
http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/home/drivinglicence/legislation/community_nl.htm
Or other parts of the English-parts of the EU-website as mentioned

Find out for yourself if there is anything on including Egypt (or other countries for that matter) into the agreement. If so, you can go for it.

Good luck Ramy

Demiana

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
I'll give you some more answers where some folks would misinform my dh, among them even teachers from his NT-program.
- yes, you are lawfully obliged to pay for a WA-insurance (to pay for damage you may inwillingly cause to others and are not otherwise insured)
- yes you are obliged to fill in taxforms, the taxoffice want forget you and you may get money back for having paid too much in the scheme of things sometimes, there are some taxdeductable posts
- yes you have to pay for healthinsurance, you're western familyinlaw will not be amused and certainly not sell their house to pay for you're hospitalbill.
- yes it is rather common to pay for burialinsurance, not something you want you're descendants to be left without, you can even have insurance for you're transportation to Heliopolis if you want to be transported back or have a fee extra when you want you're spouse to accompany you in case.
- yes if you are married or living together you have to give you're taxable incomefigures to you're spouse to be compared when asked for.
- if you have a rental home and you find another one to live in, you can't leave you're 'old' home for someone of you're own choosing.
Well and some other things I am sure you will run into.
- you should inform you're employer with the details of you're spouse. Some/most employers will grant you or her (in what case) a full 3 month extra salary when one of you dies and income does stop.
Endless anyway.

Some adventure Ramy!:-)

Demiana

--------------------

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exchanging a driving licence issued in a country that has signed the Geneva or Vienna Road Traffic Convention
A person holding a driving licence issued in a country that has signed the Geneva or Vienna Road Traffic Convention and who resides permanently in Finland may apply to exchange the licence for a class A1-, A- and B driving licence permit without the need for a new driving test.

The driving licence permit application must be submitted to the police in person.

When applying for a driving licence permit, the following must be included:

2 photographs (preferably black-and-white)
driving licence medical certificate (obtained no more than six months earlier)
a document stating that the applicant has been driving a car in Finland for at least six months
driving licence issued in a country that has signed the Convention.

At the police station you must fill in the driving licence application form and a form asking whether you already have a driving licence or are banned from driving in another EU or EEA country.

A Finnish class B driving licence is issued as a permanent driving licence. The country that issued the original driving licence is entered on the Finnish driving licence.

The driving licence holder must surrender both his/her national and international driving licence to the police when collecting the Finnish driving licence. The police will keep these licences and will return them only on request if the driving licence holder leaves the country, in which case the Finnish driving licence must be handed to the police in exchange.

Fee:
Exchanging a foreign driving licence EUR 41

ROMEOO I DON'T KNOW IF HOLLAND HAS SIGNED THIS AGREEMENT BUT EGYPT HAD SO THAT IS WHY IT WAS AT LEAST HERE IN FINLAND QUITE EASY TO CHANGE THE DRIVING LICENCE FROM AN EGYPTIAN TO A FINNISH.
NETHERLAND HAS ALSO SIGNED THE GENEVA ROAD TRAFFIC CONVENTION, I JUST CHECKED IT BUT I DON;T KNOW HOW THR PROSEDURE IN HOLLAND WILL BE.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Mimmi, I can't see anything on Egypt signing anything, the agreement goes for members of the EU. If you're man has obtained his driverslicense this way, good for you.

The Netherlands (the CBR) don't recognize any country outside the list above. the CBR is the national authority on this.

Besides another text on licenses from states out of Europe:

Situations relating to third countries (outside the EU)

You have a driving licence issued by a country located outside the European Union.
Member States are not obliged to recognise such a licence, even if it has already been recognised by one of them. It is necessary to contact the competent national authority in order to determine whether the licence is recognized.

You hold an international driving licence.
The validity of this licence within the EU depends on the possession of a national driving licence issued by a Member State. The latter has to be valid.

Within the EU, the principal function of the international driving licence is to facilitate the comprehension of licences issued outside the EU. With respect to EU licences has mutual recognition already been facilitated with the adoption of Commission Decision 2000/275/EC on equivalences between certain categories of driving licences (as rectified by Commission Decision 2002/256/CE).

For holders of EU- or EEA-licences, an international driving licence does not have any specific added value for driving within the EEA. it always has to be shown together with the Community model national driving licence. Moreover, a Member State can never require a person to hold an international driving licence when this person is holder of a community-model national driving licence.

Demiana

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com