EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » Immigration woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Immigration woes
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeland Security paperwork delays weddings By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 17 minutes ago

Red tape is holding up wedding bells for an estimated 10,000 U.S. citizens waiting on the Homeland Security Department to design new paperwork so they can apply for visas for their foreign fiancees.

A new law, approved in January, required Homeland Security to retool visa application forms in an attempt to protect foreign mail-order brides from abusive American spouses. But the department, which oversees immigration services, failed to meet a March 6 deadline to produce the paperwork. And that has had unintended consequences — snarling the immigration process for thousands of other couples.

A Homeland Security spokesman estimated that at least 10,000 couples have had their plans jilted even before they got to the altar.

On Tuesday, the department said it would send out additional forms to the visa seekers for more information that should satisfy the new law's protections.

"Mine never got approved. It's just sitting there," said Bill Hall, 41, a construction foreman from Burlington, Vt. He applied two months ago for a visa for his fiancee, Debbie, to immigrate from Canada with her two sons. In separate interviews, the couple said they have been dating for six years.

Homeland Security acknowledges the bureaucratic delay is "certainly an inconvenience," said Chris Bentley, spokesman for the department's Citizen and Immigration Services.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060613/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/wedding_delays

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i waited since january for my petition to be approved it was approved in 26 days but we had to wait till june26 for his interview
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com