EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » Credit Cards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Credit Cards
deborah
Member # 2372

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for deborah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

My Egyptian hubby has lived here in the UK for just over 2 years now and has been working since he got here. He'd like to apply for a Credit Card, but so far been unsuccessful, so far we've tried Barclays and Capital One. I think its because he hasn't been here for 3 years, as when you apply for a credit card they always want an address for the last 3 years.He has indefinate leave to remain. Does anyone know of an alternative Bank that will perhaps issue him a credit card? His current Bank, Abbey will not even give him a Current Account only a basic one. How is he supposed to build a credit history?! Thanks in advance.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try bank of scotland ,im sure they told my hubby 2years ,but then hes had a ccount with them since 2004 but not lived in uk all the time until now .
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madame.E
Member # 9974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madame.E   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deborah, you cannot get credit until you have lived here for 3 years as you said he cant give an address in the UK that they can credit check for the last 3 years that is in financial law I believe cos when we bought our sofa from you know who my hubby gave his details and the salesman was less than pleased when he had to rip them up and start again with my details when he asked for hubby's UK addresses for the last 3 years! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Success......... is a journey

www.we-all-earn.co.uk (quote AMT)

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a similar question (sorry to hijack your thread, Deborah [Wink] )... does anyone have any experience of which banks are the easiest for opening accounts? My husband's been here for 3 months and has had no luck so far (which is fine with me, as his wages are going straight into my bank account!). He's tried Abbey National, NatWest, Halifax, Barclays and the Woolwich but all have turned him down. Our problem has been lack of ID with his address on it (they accept utility bills but I'd already paid up these in full for the year before he got here). We've had the television licence put in his name, but the banks we've tried don't accept this, although I've heard that some do - does anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks in advance
Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nileodyssey
Member # 11073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nileodyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried the Post Office I know they do a credit card. Don't knowwhether it will be any good but its worth a try. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 63 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i find all this info hard to belive,2 and 3 years, as the people who i rented to in this country from countries they are leaving and coming here for a better life have no problem getting credit cards and credit,they get the polictical correct people to help them,then they run up massive bills with everyone ,and then strangely enough they vanish,
thats why honest people find it hard to get there credit

Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deborah
Member # 2372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for deborah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue Skies,

My husband had problems opening a bank account when he fisrt came here, as we live with my parents, we didn't have any utility bills in our name, anyway he eventually opened a 'basic account' with abbey last year, however they still won't offer him a current account - but Nat West have. As for ID, has your husband got a drivers licence, even a provisional one? or what about a letter from Inland Revenue detailing his national insurance number? Any maybe you could arrange for the phone bill to be put in his name? Hope this helps x

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Deborah,

Thanks for your reply - we still haven't sorted out the bank account. BT won't change the phone line (and don't do joint accounts any more, which is annoying). I heard that some places accept houshold insurance documents, so these have been transferred into his name. He's got his NI number now and the paperwork that goes with it, but this isn't good enough for the banks we tried, they will accept a letter with his Tax Code on, so we're waiting for this. Fingers crossed...

Good idea about the driving licence - he has an international licence and was talking last week about having lessons and getting his UK licence here (as the insurance costs on an international one would be phenomenal, apparently). I'll look into it now! Thanks again for your help

Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
halifax is easy to open an account with but it will be basic account. i did that for my cousin when she first came to UK she had to show bills though. i find it diffcuilt to understand why credit card take that long because in my university there are forign students who get credit cards here easy.
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com