EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » Egyptian Father accused of "honor killing" in the US.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Father accused of "honor killing" in the US.
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,437502,00.html

When I think about the adjustments it takes to swap cultures, and the differences between immigrant parents and their first generation American kids, this is always a concern.

What is unfortunate is that he chose to run and hide afterwards, which doesn't look like "honor" at all.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is still not caught?? [Confused]

~ TL

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between honor-killing and a crime passionele?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nov 4
Member # 15888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nov 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmogirl:

When I think about the adjustments it takes to swap cultures, and the differences between immigrant parents and their first generation American kids, this is always a concern.

What is unfortunate is that he chose to run and hide afterwards, which doesn't look like "honor" at all.

He ran because in the USA he would face consequences for his actions.

In Egypt he would easily escape consequences for his actions.

If an American father axed up his daughters for this reason he would run to escape consequences.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nov 4
Member # 15888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nov 4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
He is still not caught?? [Confused]

~ TL

Nope but it looks as if he is in the Bronx, wonder if MD knows of him.

His son Islam's myspace.com profile was taken down. On that profile Islam boasted and remarked how proud he was of his father for murdering his sisters.

Wasn't Yassar's sisters murdered also?

Posts: 251 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nov 4:

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION CONCERNING THIS PERSON, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL FBI OFFICE OR THE NEAREST AMERICAN EMBASSY OR CONSULATE - ANYTHING ELSE IS UTTER RUBBISH.

~ TL

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
" After he threatened to kill one daughter in December 2007 — documented in text messages Sarah Said sent to a friend — the girls and their mother, Patricia, fled from their home in Lewisville, Texas, to Tulsa, Okla. But the mother soon had a change of heart and went back, leading to the tragedy on January 1. Some, including Gartrell, believe the mother may even have been complicit in the murders . "

I hope the girl's mother will speak up against this accusation asap.

~ TL

Nov 4
Member # 15888

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nov 4:

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION CONCERNING THIS PERSON, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL FBI OFFICE OR THE NEAREST AMERICAN EMBASSY OR CONSULATE - ANYTHING ELSE IS UTTER RUBBISH.

~ TL

You assume I know this personally, I don't.

I have kept up on news reports and internet chatter since this the incident hit national media.

According to internet chatter (with first person contact to the suspect and his son Islam) the FBI and a congressperson has been contacted. Your accussations are seriously misaligned as usual.

Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What language does Sono speak? Anyone? [Confused] [Smile]
Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I wonder why this is coming up on fox now- it happened a while back- and the Dallas Observer had a great article on it- they interviewed the girls relatives on both sides of the family, as well as their boyfriends. Oh never mind, because the FBI is calling it an Honor Killing.

It was a big deal here when it happened, a lot of people knew these girls. I know their cousin.

Through the D.O. article, I felt al ot of disgust for the girls relatives. From what the article said- it sounds like the girls mother was an insecure, uneducated, way way way too young woman who married an Egyptian man, who was quite older than her (I think she was 15? He was in his late 20's or maybe early 30s?). Apparently he wasn't especially educated himself.
She was from some country, Baptist family, and I don't know why her parents would let their daughter marry a man whom she had only known for such a short period of time? (Again, in the article- they knew each other for less than a month when he proposed). Where do people get this idea that their teenage children can actually make such decisions?

Something else you pick up from this article is how much animosity these girls relatives have towards each other- they really have no respect for each others cultures, for each others beliefs- they know nothing about each other.

And the husband wasn't a religious Muslim. They didn't even have an Islamic wedding ceremony. His kids came out as they did (surprise) and all of a sudden he thinks he can force his culture and his religion onto them? [Frown] I hate that- never bother practicing Islam themselves, and then when their daughters all of sudden develop boobs and are interested in guys- they remember their religion.

I was so upset when I read that the Mother was the one who convinced the girls to go back to their father. So sad. Poor girls, and I hope someone in their fathers family turns him in. He deserves to face his punishment in THIS life, not just the next.

And this wasn't the first time this man showed signs of how dangerous he was- he was arrested once for sexually abusing the girls, and the police had been called to the house for domestic disturbance calls.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2008-06-19/news/american-girls/

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
" After he threatened to kill one daughter in December 2007 — documented in text messages Sarah Said sent to a friend — the girls and their mother, Patricia, fled from their home in Lewisville, Texas, to Tulsa, Okla. But the mother soon had a change of heart and went back, leading to the tragedy on January 1. Some, including Gartrell, believe the mother may even have been complicit in the murders . "

I hope the girl's mother will speak up against this accusation asap.

~ TL

Wow- thats the feeling I got from the D.O. article. That she was one of those women- who are weak, and who keep going back to an abusive man, forgiving him again and again... She knew how dangerous her husband was, she had to of known on SOME level what could possibly happen if her daughters came back to their father...

From the article:

Since the funerals, Tissie has said little about the murders except that "Yaser is a good man." [Frown]

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

It rather sounds chicken to me. Remember for capital murder you get death sentence in the state of Texas and that's where the crime took place.

~ TL

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:

I was so upset when I read that the Mother was the one who convinced the girls to go back to their father. So sad. Poor girls, and I hope someone in their fathers family turns him in. He deserves to face his punishment in THIS life, not just the next.

And this wasn't the first time this man showed signs of how dangerous he was- he was arrested once for sexually abusing the girls, and the police had been called to the house for domestic disturbance calls.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2008-06-19/news/american-girls/

But you know hibbah many murders happened before in the past and will happen in the future because victims just totally underestimate the danger of their killer which in many cases is very close to them.

I want to push away the idea that actually the own mother delivered her both daughters intentionally to the 'slaughter'.

I believe if this would have been the case the police would have arrested Patricia Said by now and this is not the case.

Here is something interesting to the story:

" Family members said he met and married his wife, Patricia, 36, when she was about 15 years old, while he was working as a convenience store clerk in Tarrant County. Their three children were born in quick succession ."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/011008dnmetteenskilled.7ba7cc6.html

She was only 15 years old when she married her Egyptian born husband Yasser Said who was 14 years her senior . Alone this fact can give you a pretty good idea how much power and control he had of her over the years, after all she was still a child when they got together. Without a doubt problems persisted throughout the marriage and this woman wanted to do the right thing and protect her daughters but in the end she believed everything would be good, they could still be a family and unfortunately this decision turned out to be fatal.

And not to side with Yasser Said here but the allegation that he sexually abused his own daughters turned out to be lies:

" In October 1998, when Amina and Sarah were 9 and 8 years old, they accused their father of sexual abuse. The allegations were reported to the Hill County sheriff's office, where the girls told a detective their father had been touching them inappropriately. Amina told authorities she had been penetrated at least once. Their mother swore in an affidavit that the allegations were true.In early January 1999, the two girls told authorities that they had lied about the allegations because they didn't want to attend rural Covington schools and wanted to go live with their grandmother. A district judge later dropped the charges of aggravated sexual assault against Mr. Said. ."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/011008dnmetteenskilled.7ba7cc6.html

~ TL

Hibbah
Member # 12156

Yeah, I totally agree about the idea that Yasser must of had considerable sway over Patricia. Such a terrible idea to let such a young girl marry a man that much older, and someone she barely knew.

I can imagine how much influence he wielded on her.

But thats what I mean- she knew he was crazy. Theres no question. He abused her, and he threatened to kill one of the daughters before. She ran away with her daughters because he knew what he would do to them, you know? And then she went back to see him because she missed him- she lied to her daughters and told them she was visiting her mothers grave because she knew what they would say to her if she told them the truth. [Frown]

I don't know if she FULLY realized what would happen to her daughters as a result of bringing them back to their father- but she had to have an idea, an inkling, even if she hid it inside her subconscious.

And yeah, I would hope that the allegations about the sexual abuse weren't true (For the girls sake) but I've heard rumors about that as well- even if the case were dismissed- that the girls recanted their stories because they were pressured to do so.

Who knows? [Frown]

of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
" In October 1998, when Amina and Sarah were 9 and 8 years old, they accused their father of sexual abuse. The allegations were reported to the Hill County sheriff's office, where the girls told a detective their father had been touching them inappropriately. Amina told authorities she had been penetrated at least once. Their mother swore in an affidavit that the allegations were true.In early January 1999, the two girls told authorities that they had lied about the allegations because they didn't want to attend rural Covington schools and wanted to go live with their grandmother. A district judge later dropped the charges of aggravated sexual assault against Mr. Said. ."
I doubt very seriously that an 8 & 9 year old would lie about this.
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Lewisville: TV show prompts tips on Said

BY DAN EAKIN, Staff Writer
(Created: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:37 PM CST)

Irving police Tuesday were checking out possible leads to the whereabouts of a Lewisville man who is suspected of killing his two teenage daughters Jan. 1 in Irving.

Lt. Richard Gilmette of the Irving Police Department said people called in tips to America’s Most Wanted after the television show ran a segment Saturday night on Yaser Said.

Said, 51, is suspected of shooting to death his two daughters, Amina Yaser Said, 18, and Sarah Yaser Said, 17, in a taxicab near an Irving hotel about 8 p.m. New Year’s Day.

A few days after the two Lewisville High School students were killed, America’s Most Wanted flashed a picture of the suspect on the screen and asked anyone having information as to his whereabouts to call 1-800-CRIME-TV. However, no tips came in after that brief segment.

Gilmette said, however, tips did come in following a lengthier segment about the murders on last Saturday night’s America’s Most Wanted television program.

“We have received a few tips that we are following up on now,” Gilmette said. “We have nothing concrete at this time.”

He said the tips that have come in have been from outside of Texas, from other states.

Gilmette said America’s Most Wanted personnel have been working closely with Irving police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in an attempt to find the man who has not been seen since he apparently shot his two daughters to death on Jan. 1.

A few days after the killings, the Irving Police Department released an audio tape, with one of the girls crying and saying, over a cell phone, that her father had just shot her.

Police immediately searched for Said throughout Irving and in Lewisville, and at area airports, but found no trace of him. He is now the object of a world-wide search. Some believe he may have returned to his native Egypt.

Mark White, of the Dallas FBI office, said Said was moved to the “featured fugitives” list on the FBI’s Web site, www.fbi.gov, a few months ago. While he is not listed as one of the FBI’s 10 most wanted, his picture and information is at the top of the list under “murders” in the featured fugitives section.

The FBI is seeking Said on charges of multiple capital murder. On Aug. 21, the United States District Court, Northern District of Texas issued an unlawful flight to avoid prosecution warrant on Said.

The information on the FBI Web site states:

“Yaser Abdel Said is wanted for murder. On January 1, 2008, Said took his two teenaged daughters for a ride in his taxi cab, under the guise of taking them to get something to eat. He drove them to Irving, Texas, where he allegedly shot both girls to death. They died of multiple gunshot wounds. Said may have fled to New York or Egypt.”

White said the FBI had earlier provided information that Said may have committed what is known as “honor killings” because his daughters had been dating outside the Muslim faith.

However, he said that information was removed because there was no strong evidence to that claim. Also, Said’s wife had strongly rejected that as being the reason for the killings.

Immediately following the killings, Irving police checked all air terminals for several days to see whether Said had purchased an airplane ticket. Lewisville police kept the Said home under surveillance for several days.

The following week, Said’s picture was flashed on the national television program, “America’s Most Wanted.” There was still no sign of Said.

Some people believe he fled to Egypt, while others believe sympathetic friends could be hiding him in Texas.

“Said has ties to New York, Texas and Egypt,” the FBI Web site states. “He also has Egyptian and United States passports.”

The FBI considers Said to be armed and dangerous.

“Said is known to carry a handgun in his taxicab at all times,” the Web site states. “It has also been reported that Said always carries a weapon with him, to include knives.”

Said is believed to be 51 years old. However, the FBI notes that he has used two different dates of birth, including Jan. 27, 1957, and July 17, 1961. He was born in Synai, Egypt.

As a possible further tip, the FBI Web site states, “He frequents Denny’s and I-Hop restaurants and smokes Marlboro Light 100’s cigarettes.”

A directive signed by Robert Mueller, FBI director, states, “If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American embassy or consulate.”

Also, Lewisville or Irving police would be happy to relay any information anyone has on Said.

Schepps Dairy is continuing to offer a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and indictment of Said.

“The initial offering of the reward was done Jan. 4, and it was for a six-month period,” said David Tull of the Irving Police Department. “I requested and received an additional six-month extension the first part of June, and that is still in effect.”

That offer will expire at the end of next month unless Schepps Dairy extends it again.

http://www.scntx.com/articles/2008/11/25/lewisville_leader/news/74.txt

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com