EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » Howdy doody Y'all

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Howdy doody Y'all
Ausipeet
Member # 16653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausipeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Guys tis Ausipeet,
Is it ok for a non Muslim to use the term Insha' allah. [Confused]

Posts: 121 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it's ok or not, but I know many who do it all the time. Does not seem to offend anyone.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not??

It is just the Arabic form of 'God willing' [Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ausipeet
Member # 16653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausipeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ty both
Posts: 121 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say it... no one minds.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpilla
Member # 16147

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO its OK for a non muslim to say 'Salaam Aleikum' too.

I think its nice, and in Egypt copts and muslims both would say these things wouldn't they, because they are both arabic speaking?

--------------------
IMO

Posts: 431 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently member 'newcomer' did mind at one point that I used 'inshaallah' as a non-Muslim. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ausipeet:
Hey Guys tis Ausipeet,
Is it ok for a non Muslim to use the term Insha' allah. [Confused]

it is ok
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Apparently member 'newcomer' did mind at one point that I used 'inshaallah' as a non-Muslim. [Roll Eyes]

Tiger, I think her objection was because of the fact that you're an atheist, not because you're not a Muslim.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am agnostic and I say it... I have Egyptian women insist I say it instead of yimkin!!! Yimkin annoys them lol

tbh, when you have been here long enough it becomes more of a habit in speech. Just like going to the UK and saying mashy, aiwa and masalama [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Non-Muslim Arabs use it all the time. It's the same language regardless of religion.

I agree, Dalia, it was most likely because of the atheist thing. No offense, but it's kinda silly for an atheist to say God willing if they don't believe in God.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I say 'Jesus on a bike' and I don't believe in him either. I say Oh God when I drop things as well...

I say fecking nora and Gordon Bennett.. I am not so sure they exist either but I still use the lingo. [Big Grin]

It is just lingo to me... habitual grammar.

And Muslims say it flippantly as a get out clause to do late work so it is used in a bad way by believers!!!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elegantly Wasted:
Non-Muslim Arabs use it all the time. It's the same language regardless of religion.

I agree, Dalia, it was most likely because of the atheist thing. No offense, but it's kinda silly for an atheist to say God willing if they don't believe in God.

You hear people say many times "good lord", "oh my god", "holy crap" etc. and they are not necessarily religious. Is that silly too? Am I allowed to say this after all?? Now I have to wonder.... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saying it flippantly because it's a normal part of daily talk and it's in your native tongue is one thing. Saying it just to say it is another. If it's not your native language, why use it? I hear "inshallah" all the time but I don't use it cuz my native language isn't Arabic.

Aren't atheists pretty adamantly opposed to god, in general? Regardless, I don't care if an atheist or agnostic or whomever uses the terms God, Jesus, Jehovah, etc. I can see why it would bother some though. Especially if they're religious.

Besides, inshallah is just an excuse to flake out most of the time, isn't it?

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I kinda figured you'd take high offense. This is why I said, "no offense", since honestly none was meant. It's not a big deal, it was just an observation. I'm not gonna debate this. However, using inshallah when it's not part of your native language or a language routinely spoken in your household or by people you encounter daily, etc. is, indeed, silly. But that's my opinion. I'm not here to stop anyone, I'm here to voice my own individual opinion just like everyone else.

quote:
quote:

You hear people say many times "good lord", "oh my god", "holy crap" etc. and they are not necessarily religious. Is that silly too? Am I allowed to say this after all?? Now I have to wonder.... [Roll Eyes]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
EW, pop in the British Club and see how many of us who work with Egyptians speak random Arabic.

It is meaningless and lost in translation to pretty much all of us. We use it to mean maybe pretty much!

But if I say 'it is my round next' they say 'Inshallah'! [Wink]

My Gran was religious and hated my random bloody hells!!!

Ausipeet
Member # 16653

Rate Member
wow a simple question turned into another debate LOL this is why i love comming here and sitting and reading honestly i spend hours a week reading the comments here and almost always find something to smile about, but thats only because i tend to look at the lighter side of life. I as a rule do not read all the depressing stuff that gets posted here and yes i have seen some of that here to i dont want to read that as i read and hear about it enough in real life here at home. And no i wont start about what happens here at home.

Thank you for bringing smiles to my face and keep up all these great debates its wonderfull to know that debate is still the greatest weapon we have

Peter

Caterpilla
Member # 16147

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I kinda figured you'd take high offense. This is why I said, "no offense", since honestly none was meant. It's not a big deal, it was just an observation. I'm not gonna debate this. However, using inshallah when it's not part of your native language or a language routinely spoken in your household or by people you encounter daily, etc. is, indeed, silly. But that's my opinion. I'm not here to stop anyone, I'm here to voice my own individual opinion just like everyone else.

quote:
quote:

Totally agree, I dont know ANY english speaking atheists that say 'God willing'. Most would say 'hopefully'
Posts: 431 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INSHAALLAH is used by all Egyptians on a daily base as a simple empty phrase , no real meaning, no sincerity behind it. If you as a foreigner live there long enough you pick up certain slang.

Now you need to stop reading too much into people. Get over it. Next thing you will accuse me of making fun of your god and your believes..... wrong section though lol. Silly. [Roll Eyes]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
English speaking Expats here say mumkin or yimkin... many a time in place of God Inshallah!!!. Never heard 'hopefully' in my 17 years history here.

I must be either lying or imagining all the non religious expats saying Inshallah! Perhaps they are all actually secretly religious [Wink]

I will be in the British Club tonight, I shall count the 'Inshallahs' I hear from the English speaking Atheists in just a few short hours.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Have a beer for me, please! Ah what I am saying.... make it two!!
Caterpilla
Member # 16147

Rate Member
quote:
INSHAALLAH is used by all Egyptians on a daily base as a simple empty phrase , no real meaning, no sincerity behind it. If you as a foreigner live there long enough you pick up certain slang.

Now you need to stop reading too much into people. Get over it. Next thing you will accuse me of making fun of your god and your believes..... wrong section though lol. Silly. [Roll Eyes]

Why is he MY God? Grow up Tigerlilly.
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I will be in the British Club tonight, I shall count the 'Inshallahs' I hear from the English speaking Atheists in just a few short hours.
*gasp* I used it too when I was in egypt! You hear it soo bloody often, you naturally pick it up. If pretty much every one in England started using "god willing" in nearly every sentence, I would likely pick that up too. It was just a phrase, just like when I say "go to hell", I'm not literally meaning someone to go to the hell I do not believe in.

And side comment: No, atheists are not usually "against" the whole god thing, any more than a religious person is "against" something they disbelieve in, such as santa, or the easter bunny. If "spaghetti monster willing" was a common phrase, I would probably use that too!

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I said that WK, it is just linguistics. And if you live here and hear it at the end of every sentence you are bound to pick it up habitually. It is just ridiculous to say atheists don't say it!!! Clearly some folk don't live in Egypt!

I have taught Egyptians and Americans here the term 'bloody hell'... I think it is hilarious when they say it as the accents are so cute [Big Grin]

I couldn't keep up with the count of Inshallahs last night tbh... the bar was very busy [Big Grin]

And you know, of all the Inshallahs not once did an Egyptian have an issue. I guess that is the difference between ES and Egypt. Real people aren't sh1t stirring, drama queen fuckwits [Big Grin]

Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's all right to say 'Inshallah' by a non-Egyptian? Ok, I wasn't sure...
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sure it is ok [Big Grin]

I have never known an Egyptian take offence. And I say it every day.

I always say in Arabic 'see you tomorrow God willing' when I leave work and the Egyptian folk just say it straight back.

If it was offensive so many of us expats wouldn't say it so much and so outright. [Big Grin]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not picked up the habit. I go out of my way not to say it because I think it is an overused phrase. Instead I always say maybe or we'll see or I'll try to make it. Because that is what I mean. If I would be speaking to an Egyptian they would always say it for me. Instead I've had to take to saying "I will see you tomorrow unless I'm dead then".
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
You taught me 'we'll see' ... I use that as well.
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
I have not picked up the habit. I go out of my way not to say it because I think it is an overused phrase. Instead I always say maybe or we'll see or I'll try to make it. Because that is what I mean. If I would be speaking to an Egyptian they would always say it for me. Instead I've had to take to saying "I will see you tomorrow unless I'm dead then".

When I first came to Egypt (I was in Saudi Arabia)I did not use that phrase,but When i told somebody"I will come" he replies to be and say "and how do you know that you will come ?,you must say Insha'Allh" the phrase means that "Nothing happens unless Allah wishes ,which is in the core of the Islamic philosophy"since then I use that phrase as even my parents told me it would be polite to use it.
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
So it's all right to say 'Inshallah' by a non-Egyptian? Ok, I wasn't sure...

I say both when im there from so much hearing it from Egyptian friends.They are muslims and im not and they know it,but never got any offended looks from them.I would say they even liked it. [Smile]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my ex's family loved me speaking any arabic, esspecially Inshallah and... erm... can't remember the words to say thanks god.. or something like that. (people say it whenever someone asks then how they are, even if they're good or bad.)
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
my ex's family loved me speaking any arabic, esspecially Inshallah and... erm... can't remember the words to say thanks god.. or something like that. (people say it whenever someone asks then how they are, even if they're good or bad.)
Alhamdulillah, or however it's spelt. Yep, I used that too whenever someone asked how I was. People just seemed happy for me to speak arabic, didn't matter what exactly I was saying lol.
Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats it!! always Alhamdulillah! sorry but it annoyed me...

I'd said to Ahmed.. hows the shop?

"Alhamdulillah"

Now what does that mean!? Good or Bad

"Alhamdulillah"

AARRGGHHHHHHHH

Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it means thank God, if its something bad they thank God, if it something good they thank God. Alhamdulillah tamam is thank God all is ok.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
quote:
Alhamdulillah, or however it's spelt. Yep, I used that too whenever someone asked how I was. People just seemed happy for me to speak arabic, didn't matter what exactly I was saying lol.
Yes,they always truly appreciate that one tries to speak it,and get a kick of fun out of our accent [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy butt:
thats it!! always Alhamdulillah! sorry but it annoyed me...

I'd said to Ahmed.. hows the shop?

"Alhamdulillah"

Now what does that mean!? Good or Bad

"Alhamdulillah"

AARRGGHHHHHHHH

It means thank god!! [Smile]
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

I know what it means dudes [Big Grin]

I just wish... at the end of saying Alhamdulillah he'd have said good or bad. if the shop was going tits up, I would have liked abit of warning. [Razz]

Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think 'hopefully' is also used quite often by English-speaking folk? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Makbeta:
quote:

I think 'hopefully' is also used quite often by English-speaking folk? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes. I use hopefully when I am talking aboout something that is out of my control. For example - Hopefully they will have the phone fixed by tomorrow.

But when I am talking about something in my control I use maybe or we'll see. "Maybe I will go, maybe I won't." Funny enough - it drives my husband crazy when I say "we'll see" in response to something he asks me. He feels I should give a definitive answer. But Insha'Allah is not definitive at all. Fortunately, he is not one of those Egyptians that uses the phrase in every sentence.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com