EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » Any expats going back to Egypt to demonstrate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any expats going back to Egypt to demonstrate?
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey - haven't been around here for a while. For those who don't remember I married an Egyptian man four years ago and he's been here with me for about 2 1/2 yrs. I live in the US.

I was just curious how many EGyptian expats are itching to go back to join these historical times? For us, if it weren't for the travel blockage, my husband would be on the next flight. He cannot still contact his family (been since Wednesday) and is very worried for their safety. Both he and I agree that he should be there to contribute, but again no travel so he's like going out of his skin with worry.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those who are affected by this revolution. It's surreal watching these streets that I've walked on filled with so many people fighting for their rights.

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember you Doodlebug , prayers and thoughts are with you and husbands family
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friend left last night and suppose to arrive in Cairo @6:15 tonight...prayers are with her...once she lands she has to drive to Alex
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dawn-Bev. He finally spoke with them last night for the first time and they are safe but very afraid of what is next since things seem to be happening so very fast.

Mickey - how did your friend find a flight that would go there? I thought all flights in were stopped.

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she had this flight for like 3 weeks now...before all this started..she was flying into Germany first so maybe they will cancel it there...not sure yet
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

I wish her luck!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thanks doodlebug..she is going to need it...i hope i hear something soon [Frown]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
heard from my friend that was going to Alex...she made it 3 days later..was stuck in Germany for 2 days because of the curfew in Cairo..she is safe and sound ,thank God
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
heard from my friend that was going to Alex...she made it 3 days later..was stuck in Germany for 2 days because of the curfew in Cairo..she is safe and sound ,thank God

Great news!!!

I looked online for flights and they are available but I have to wonder if you'll actually get there once you buy the ticket. Speaking of buying the ticket....although the prices are fairly reasonable for normal times at around $1,200, one would think they'd be at an all time low of around $500 or so rountrip from us to egypt. I mean people aren't exactly itchin' to go on vacation there these days, you know? I wonder what's up with not knocking the price down?

Not sure if he'll still go though. His sisters are getting back to normal, working, etc. and they don't seem as scared so maybe not.

Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doodlebug:
Great news!!!

I looked online for flights and they are available but I have to wonder if you'll actually get there once you buy the ticket. Speaking of buying the ticket....although the prices are fairly reasonable for normal times at around $1,200, one would think they'd be at an all time low of around $500 or so rountrip from us to egypt. I mean people aren't exactly itchin' to go on vacation there these days, you know? I wonder what's up with not knocking the price down?

Not sure if he'll still go though. His sisters are getting back to normal, working, etc. and they don't seem as scared so maybe not.

I imagine the prices have been low as they can get them. A 777 holds roughly 45,000 gallons of fuel, it takes almost a tank of that just to get from the states to cairo. Average fuel price is $6/gallon... thats $270,000 of fuel for one way... divide by max number of passengers (roughly 320) and thats $848 per passenger just to fill the tanks one way. Thats not counting the crew salaries, food, maintenance, gate fees, landing fees, other operating costs etc.

At $1200 round trip for coach tickets, they are probably already selling them under cost. First and biz class tickets being so much higher are what helps take up the slack.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An airline is not a charity. They need to make a living too or they can pack up.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flights to Egypt down 70 percent

Minister of Civil Aviation Ibrahim Mannaa said on Wednesday that flights to Egypt have declined by 70 percent, which led to a sharp drop in profits.

Sources at Cairo International Airport said 14 of the international airlines canceled their flights to Cairo on Wednesday due to a lack of passengers.

“Passengers boarding EgyptAir flights have dropped to 54 percent,” added Mannaa. “Losses during the past two weeks can only be calculated after all losses are identified.”

“The aviation sector in Egypt will carry out its development projects and pay for all its financial commitments. We paid all our installments in February,” Mannaa added.

Manna promised that airport workers would not be affected by the drop in profits saying, "They will not be laid off. Their salaries will not be cut.”

Navigational sources at Cairo Airport said EgyptAir decreased its local and international flights by slightly more than half.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/flights-egypt-down-70-percent

Wed, 09/02/2011

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com