EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Who is your favoriet Per aa ,Pharoah and historical period (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who is your favoriet Per aa ,Pharoah and historical period
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Halle Berry...interesting...half black/half white...guess that covers all the bases on this board.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leonardo Di Caprio as King Tut
Madonna as Queen Tiy
Brittany Spears as Ankhansamun

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could have sworn you posted the same on the first page of this thread. Nah..

Try finding an American actor who looks like this:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/antenna/tutankhamun/

Posts: 87 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus:
I could have sworn you posted the same on the first page of this thread. Nah..

Try finding an American actor who looks like this:

Marcus, while I think that image can be close to Tut, I don't know if I trust those reconstructions. Tut's likeness is not a secret. There are a number of busts of him from his own time.

And btw, finding an American actor who looks like that reconstruction would not be difficult.

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 01 March 2004).]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
Spike Lee shot scenes from Malcolm X in Egypt. He was also allowed to film in Mecca!

Occasionally, western film makers do get to shoot in Egypt but it's difficult. The government has to approve of the subject and content. A great deal of scrutiny would be given to a film that deal's with Egyptian history(especially one with African Americans in leading roles). There is also a certain amount of regional poltics to be expected from a movie about Egyptians saving the Jews from being slaughtered by the Arab-looking Assyrians. It would be nice to have Upper Egyptians take part in a film like the one being proposed but it's far from likely.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tut's likeness is not a secret"

I'm not so sure, Kem. Let me first say that I agree that this reconstruction may not be accurate. Second, while the art of the Amarna period is MORE realistic than earlier Egyptian art, I don't think it's completely realistic.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus:
"Tut's likeness is not a secret"

I'm not so sure, Kem. Let me first say that I agree that this reconstruction may not be accurate. Second, while the art of the Amarna period is MORE realistic than earlier Egyptian art, I don't think it's completely realistic.

well here is where i have a fundamental issue with a few people. it may be that these reconstructions are accurate. but over 3000 years ago, someone looked at tut at made a bust of him. i personally would trust the latter more so than a modern computer reconstruction of someone who's been dead for a few thousand years.

just my .02.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
Occasionally, western film makers do get to shoot in Egypt but it's difficult. The government has to approve of the subject and content. A great deal of scrutiny would be given to a film that deal's with Egyptian history(especially one with African Americans in leading roles). There is also a certain amount of regional poltics to be expected from a movie about Egyptians saving the Jews from being slaughtered by the Arab-looking Assyrians. It would be nice to have Upper Egyptians take part in a film like the one being proposed but it's far from likely.

in reality i'd agree that it's unlikely that we'd see an upper egyptian in a western movie unless s/he spoke flawless english and had a name that could sell tickets in american theaters. but they could at least get upper egyptian extras. if they can be paid to dig, they can be paid to stand around in a flick.

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
in reality i'd agree that it's unlikely that we'd see an upper egyptian in a western movie unless s/he spoke flawless english and had a name that could sell tickets in american theaters. but they could at least get upper egyptian extras. if they can be paid to dig, they can be paid to stand around in a flick.

I agree that we most likely wont see Saaidi's starring in an American film on Egypt. My point was that it'll be unlikely that they could even be used as extras because it's difficult to get permission to do American movies in Egypt. The same goes for Sudan which would be the logical second choice of locations. They would have to either shoot it in Morocco or in Hollywood and extras are usually taken from the local population.

On the Tut reconstruction, I agree that the busts of King Tut were closer to reality than the reconstructions. Tut's skull was so badly damaged that the artists who conducted the reconstruction surveyed the faces of several Egyptian men from Luxor in order to fill in some of the gaps. Therefore, we know what he MAY have looked like but we can't say it is 100% accurate.

[This message has been edited by neo*geo (edited 01 March 2004).]

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
quote:
On the Tut reconstruction, I agree that the busts of King Tut were closer to reality than the reconstructions. Tut's skull was so badly damaged that the artists who conducted the reconstruction surveyed the faces of several Egyptian men from Luxor in order to fill in some of the gaps. Therefore, we know what he MAY have looked like but we can't say it is 100% accurate.

I don't think it's even remotely accurate, for the reason you stated, and also because there is A LOT of guesswork involved regardless - especially in facial reconstructions from skeletal remains from thousands of years ago.

The thickness of the skin and the shape of the eyes, lips, nose and mouth, etc. were all based on the faces of a select few men from the Luxor area.

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 01 March 2004).]

SAFI
Member # 3847

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAFI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI EVERYONE...I'M NEW TO THIS CLUB BUT NOT TO EGYPT AS I'VE LIVED FOR 3 YEARS IN LUXOR AND NOW 2 YEARS IN HURGHADA. SO MY FAVOURITE PHAROAH IS AKENATEN FOR MANY REASONS. HE WAS CERTAINLY A MAN BEFORE HIS TIME AND GREATLY MALIGNED THROUGHOUT HISTORY. HE WROTE THE FIRST PEACE AGREEMENT AND GOT IT SIGNED BY HIS LONG TERM ENEMIES. HE WAS A POET AND SINGER, A LOVER OF ALL THE ARTS,HE WAS THE FIRST PHAROAH TO GIVE HIS PEOPLE FREE HEALTH, EDUCATION AND FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION.HE FOUGHT FOR TRUTH AND REALISM IN ALL ASPECTS OF HIS LIFE.HE INTRODUCED MONOTHEISM AND MOST PROBABLY DIED FOR THAT REASON. WAS HE THE FIRST PROPHET??? MAYBE ONE DAY WE WILL FIND OUT. I FELL IN LOVE WITH HIM ON MY FIRST VISIT TO THIS COUNTRY AND WROTE A POEM DEDICATED TO HIM WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU NOW. I CAME TO EGYPT AND FELL IN LOVE, WITH A LAND, IT'S PEOPLE, THE BEAUTIFUL RIVER NILE AND "YOU". I LISTENED TO YOUR VOICE AND FELL IN LOVE WITH YOUR GODS AND YOUR PHAROAHS. I LOOKED INTO YOUR EYES AND SAW THE MAGIC OF IT ALL. THOUGH WE MAY NEVER MEET AGAIN A PART OF ME REMAINS FOREVER IN EGYPT.... I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO MENTION THAT WE HAVE A GREAT EGYPTIAN FILM STAR CALLED..HANI SALAMA AND HE WOULD MAKE A BRILLIANT PHAROAH ETC IN ANY FILMS.....BYE FOR NOW..
Posts: 4 | From: EGYPT | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safi, you realize that people living in Luxor and other parts of rural Egypt are the direct desendants of those people. You might also realize that many customs remain maungst these people as well.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SAFI:
HE WAS A POET AND SINGER, A LOVER OF ALL THE ARTS,HE WAS THE FIRST PHAROAH TO GIVE HIS PEOPLE FREE HEALTH, EDUCATION AND FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION.HE FOUGHT FOR TRUTH AND REALISM IN ALL ASPECTS OF HIS LIFE.HE INTRODUCED MONOTHEISM AND MOST PROBABLY DIED FOR THAT REASON.

Hi Safi,

Welcome to the board. While I do consider Akhenaten to be an interesting individual, it is highly unlikely that he introduced monotheism to Egypt. Their texts mentioned that there was only one God long before Akhenaten.

Also, he did not allow freedom of expression because he repressed the old traditions and forced his religion on the people.

Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To see what Tut really looked like, a perfect example--from the AE themselves--is the image of Tut emerging from the lotus, or the face of the so-called manniquin.
It's been stated that reconstruction of his face is difficult because his skull was so damaged--to my knowledge, the skull was one of the best-preserved parts of his mummy, protected from the carbonization that occured on the rest of the body by the face-mask that was found on him. To free the body from the wrappings, Carter felt it was necessary to remove the remains in pieces. After the excavation of the tomb, the pieces were re-assembled in proper order on a bed of sand and was returned to the tomb for burial in the orginial sarcophogus.

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAFI
Member # 3847

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAFI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI AGAIN....THANKS KEM.AU FOR YOUR COMMENTS BUT I DID'NT SAY AKENATEN INTRODUCED MONOTHEISM TO EGYPT...HE INTRODUCED IT TO TEL EL AMARNA HIS CAPITOL CITY, AND TO HIS SUBJECTS THAT MOVED FROM THEBES WITH HIM.ALL OTHER EGYPTIANS WORSHIPPED THE OLD GODS SO EVERYONE WAS FREE TO WORSHIP WHOEVER THEY WANTED AND TO LIVE WHEREVER THEY WANTED ALSO. CERTAINLY IN TEL EL AMARNA THE CITIZENS WERE FREE TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES IN WHATEVER WAYS THEY CHOSE, IN PARTICULAR THE ARTISTS, SCULPTORS, WRITERS ETC... AS FOR THERE BEING ONLY ONE GOD BEFORE THE 18TH DYNASTY MAYBE YOU MEAN RA..OR AMUN...THEY WERE THE PRINCIPLE GODS BUT I'VE NEVER HEARD/SEEN EVIDENCE THAT WAS EVER ONLY ONE GOD...EACH PHAROAH CHOSE HIS "SPECIAL FAVOURITE" AND DEDICATED TEMPLES ETC TO THAT ONE GOD BUT THERE WAS STILL WORSHIPPING OF MANY OTHERS ALSO...IF NOT CAN YOU TELL ME THE NAME OF THE ONE GOD YOU REFER TO PLEASE ??
Posts: 4 | From: EGYPT | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
AE's always believed that all things came from one God, who was never named or represented. A number of texts, and even a few television programs will make mention of this. Today, we have simply confused their ideology by trying to compare it to others. Here's a link:
http://www.cedarseed.com/air/monoegypt.html

"One thing is certain: their conception was that of a One God from whom all emanated. The idea appears repeatedly in religious texts, and in their continual rivalry for supremacy, the priests of important deities like Râ and Atum claimed that "their" god was the face of this One God. He was in truth as important yet hidden as He is to most modern faiths. What then of the other deities? According to the Book of the Dead, they were personifications of the names of Râ . That did not prevent them from being worshipped and venerated, nor even to have distinct personalities. Yet the Egyptian deities are unlike any other pantheon I know of, in that they are very far from being set in stone. Their personality is nothing like the human character laid into their gods by peoples like the Greeks. They are paradoxical and fluid, and absorb contradictions with ease -- their paternity is less relevant, and their attributes adjustable at will. This is another reflection of their nature which is unlike true polytheistic religions."

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hints of montheistic belief are found in the Instructions of Ptahhotep dating to the 5th dyansty.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump++
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com