EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Hawass Interview Transcript. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hawass Interview Transcript.
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozzy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its taken a number of house as his accent is hard for me to understand but I believe there are very few mistakes, I could not understand two words, If anyone can help me with this I would apreciate it.

Question: How would you describe your reaction to the views of diop

ZH: Of course Cheikh Anta Diop was completely wrong. This is a
kind of a theory that he developed because of it doesn't mean,
look at the features of the people, the Black, in Egypt today,
their nose, their lips, is completely different
from the Negro and therefore CA theory, he did it I think
in a time to please the black Americans, who really feel their a minority, and they ought to be connected with this
place, civilization like Egypt.
After CA Diop did make his
theory, there is a conference was made by UNESCO and the
recommendation at the end of the conference that this is, can not accepted, and they said it need more work on prehistoric
time to understand more about the origin of the people."

Question: So how would you define the ancient Egyptians; they were people who came, who were indigenous to this area.

ZH: I believe that most of those people settled in the Nile valleys since the old stone age, more than 100,000 bc and they settled by the Nile those people went to the desert to hunt animals and to make their own tools and to invent fire and they really always come to the Nile then they looked at the Nile and they used this source to make this civilization, and if you look at their religious belief its unique from the pre dynastic period the found out for a king to be advanced he had to do certain things in his life there’s a tomb ahhh symbols of ( ? ) smighting the enemies of Egypt unification of the two lands, giving offerings to the gods, if you’ll do that you’ll become a god. And therefore I say al the time that pyramids of Egypt because building the tombs made the Egyptians to create their technology and astronomy and art etc

Question: So how do you react to people who are saying that Egypt is an African civilization?

ZH: I really do not believe that Egypt is an African civilization.
I believe that the Egyptians, are, Egyptian civilization were unique.
Egypt is in Africa, but the Egyptian civilization has nothing to do
with the African cultures. Because of many, many many features, If you look at the pheronic period its completely different from anything, if you look at the production or the technology that the Egyptian left its completely different from any believe from any time. If you look at the Egyptian from the anthropological point of view, they are different from the African. And that is why I
believe that paranoiac Egypt is completely unique, and they have
no connection with the Africans" Or even with the Arabs, completely independent. And this is why even today Egyptians, are Egyptians, There rely doesn’t mean that we speak Arab that we can be Arabs, we are really I feel personally, that we are related, even today to the ( can not hear this )

[This message has been edited by Ozzy (edited 14 September 2003).]

Posts: 448 | From: Australian living in Spain | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ozzy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obenga, to explain my current standing on ZHs comments. Below is your original exert from the interview you posted for me, at that stage I remembered ready a transcript and other comments of ZH and others, I researved my opinion till I found them again. When pushed for an opinon I said I felt he was talking about anthropology in a broader cence.

I have not been able to find the original text I read so I have taken the time to do my own, I think most will agree it is correct.

Obenga posted: “ZH: I really don't believe that Egypt is an African civilization.
I believe that the Egyptians, Egyptian civilization were unique.
Egypt is in Africa, but the Egyptian civilization has nothing to do
with the African cultures. If you look at the Egyptian from the anthropological point of view,
they are different from the African. And that is why I
believe that paranoiac Egypt is completely unique, and they have
no connection with the Africans"

You left out of your post,among other things this below,

ZH: ”If you look at the pheronic period its completely different from anything, if you look at the production or the technology that the Egyptian left its completely different from any believe from any time.”

This should have preceded the anthropological statement. He states “production and technology”. As I said Anthropology is not restricted to biological research, and I think this indicates he is talking about more than just biological Anthropolgy if not all disciplines.

They are again, Evolutionary Perspective, Cultural Anthropology, Linguistic Anthropology, Archaeology and Biological Anthropology.

I think excluding this section is misleading.

As for him lying in his stament of UNESCO's findings, the only thing in this part of his statement that I can see that may be considered a little bias is were he uses the words “can not accepted”. But even this stament could be argued successfully as Diops Theories although not unaccepted were not accepted as a whole. My understanding of the final stament was that,

It is more probable that Ancient Egyptians were of the African strain, black or light. But at this stage in our knowledge it is impossible to say more.

Now considering Cheikh Anta Diop argues that: when humankind began in East Africa people were likely to be black skinned. And before the start of the Egyptian dynasties the Nile river basin was taken over by these negroid peoples. Diop believes as many here do, that ancient Egyptians were Black Negroes.

Now although the UNESCO does agree its more probable that Ancient Egyptians were of the African strain, they do not make judgment on “Black or Light”. So one could easily argue that on this point, which is a major point of Diops theories and argument, that it was not accepted, but then again it was not denounced.

But to say ZH is lying is I think, an unfair assessment.

In light of the UNESCOs closing stament it is interesting that ZH and Diop agree on at least one point, the point of origin of the Egyptians being Africa itself.

There was much more you asked me to comment on but I can not remember of the top of my head, I will re- read the posts and try to give my opinion, Or you can post the questions again.

Posts: 448 | From: Australian living in Spain | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zahi said that at the end of the UNESCO conference they reached the conclusion that "this is can not be accepted".

that is not what UNESCO concluded: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/africa/features/storyofafrica/3chapter5.shtml

"the overall results…will be very differently assessed by the various participants."

The closing statement also pointed out that not all participants had prepared for the conference as painstakingly as Professor Diop or his academic ally Theophile Obenga of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

"It is more than probable that the African strain, black or light, is preponderant in the Ancient Egyptian, but in the present state of our knowledge it is impossible to say more."

so from where i'm standing, zahi lied.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Could you please explain what these two have to do with his statement, and which make his statement False?

I know Diop debated well, and he was by far the most prepared.

"the overall results…will be very differently assessed by the various participants."

The closing statement also pointed out that not all participants had prepared for the conference as painstakingly as Professor Diop or his academic ally Theophile Obenga of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ozzy here are two quotes from u

"I believe the views he and others who have made similar comments hold are based on the cultural, and technological differences of Egypt and other African civilisations."

With regard to your first quote I responded by saying "neither has anything to do with being biologically african." There is no need to change my stance on that. Technology and culture have nothing to do with Biology, Zahi knows this, as do we all

Ancient greece was culturally and technologically much more advanced than the British isles and the rest of Europe. Does this mean Greeks were not european and that there was no relationship between greeks and other europeans because of Greek Cultural and Technological advancement?

Here is the second quote from u

"If you can direct me to comments made by Zahi that refers to the biological aspect I will gladly read it"

So I gave u the biological aspect as u requested, Ozzy. Here it is again.

"ZH: Of course Cheikh Anta Diop was completely wrong. This was
kind of a theory that he developed because of it doesn't mean,
look at the features of the people, the Black, in Egypt today,
their nose, their lips, is completely different
from the Negro and therefore CA serie, he did it I think
in a time to please the African Americans, who really feal that
they are a minority, and they want to be connected with this
place, this civilization like Egypt."

I could say Hawass shows his lack of knowledge of the diversity present in Africa here, but I think he is just unwilling to admit the truth IMO.

Ozzy u go on to state that I left this statement out

"If you look at the pheronic period its completely different from anything, if you look at the production or the technology that the Egyptian left its completely different from any believe from any time.”

Ozzy, I left it out because it has nothing to do with being African. Which is of course the point I was making. So there was nothing misleading there.

Perhaps u might want to explain why u left something out of this statement about the conclusion arrived at by Unesco

" It is more probable that Ancient Egyptians were of the African strain, black or light. But at this stage in our knowledge it is impossible to say more"

Here are the parts u left out ,as pointed out by Kem-Au, They said "More Than" not simply "More" and also they added "is preponderant in the Ancient Egyptian", which is cut from your statement of their conclusions. Some significant parts with regard to the feeling of Unesco's conclusion don't u think?

As to the point I made of Zahi lying, I am sticking by that. What Zahi said and what Unesco concluded are two different things, Zahi knew this.

[This message has been edited by Obenga (edited 14 September 2003).]

Posts: 404 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
OZZY wrote" It is more probable that Ancient Egyptians were of the African strain, black or light. But at this stage in our knowledge it is impossible to say more"

For starters, these are my own words! mine!from memory! of the quote, not! the actual quote, otherwise I would have quoted It. And I preceded my statement clearly with "My understanding of the final stament was that". Indicating that these were my! words.

So I didnt leave out anything as I did not quote anyone, get you facts right.

Here is a Thesuarus defenition of the word preponderant.

Entry: better
Function: adjective
Definition: larger
Synonyms: best, bigger, greater, largest, longer, more, preponderant, weightier
Antonyms: littler, smaller, tinier
Concept: quantity (more)

Read my statement again!, I did not in any way mis-represent the original meaning of the quote.

I am not even going to respond to anything else you had to say, even though I would have liked to. In fear of mis-interprating again what you have said and why you have said it. It is clear from your tone and your ill prepared responce you dont want to debate the subject you want to debate me!!

You may wish to check again what Invincible Ignorance means.

You asked the questions and pushed for an answer, You got your answer, if you can not debate it dont ask it.

Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"For starters, these are my own words! mine!from memory! of the quote, not! the actual quote, otherwise I would have quoted It. And I preceded my statement clearly with "My understanding of the final stament was that". Indicating that these were my! words.

So I didnt leave out anything as I did not quote anyone, get you facts right."

I never said it was an actual quote.

However

The words were conviently left out Ozzy as any one can see they change the meaning of what Unesco is saying. It is no coincidence that I was not the only one to notice it.

The correct statement is on the BBC link and also on one of my earlier posts yet the statement was tweaked just enough to support your point. However I will accept your claim of having remembered it this way if u wish.

Ozzy says -"get you facts right."

Obenga responds - It is Ironic that u are telling me to get my facts right when u make a statement getting the facts wrong.

Ozzy say - "Here is a Thesuarus defenition of the word preponderant."

I think all the members of the board understand the definition of the word "Preponderant". It was left out of your statement not mine so I have no idea why u are now defining it for us or me?

Ozzy says - "Read my statement again!, I did not in any way mis-represent the original meaning of the quote."

Obenga responds - here are both statements, theirs and then yours IMO there is a difference that is significant.

"It is more than probable that the African strain, black or light, is preponderant in the Ancient Egyptian, but in the present state of our knowledge it is impossible to say more."

"It is more probable that Ancient Egyptians were of the African strain, black or light. But at this stage in our knowledge it is impossible to say more"

If this is just the result of remembering it poorly, again I will accept that explanation.

Ozzy says - "I am not even going to respond to anything else you had to say, even though I would have liked to."

Obenga responds - This is the choice of any who post here.

Ozzy says - "It is clear from your tone and your ill prepared responce you have a problem with me."

Obenga responds - I'm comfortable with my responce and stand by my statements. I will tell u for the third time I have no problem with u and have taken nothing personally.

Posts: 404 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Im past trying to show you due respect, man what a load , Your mistake was that you thought it was the quote, it was not. Shall I cut and past all your Para phrases, do you know how many you have made? You left out part of a full statement, and quoted it, I made no claim to be quoting and made it clear it was my words. How about US law, do you know anything about that, you would be laughed out of court, for you comparisons of my paraphrase and sued for slader for misrepresenting a Quote.

You are making a fool of yourself.

Tarah
Member # 2793

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Tarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do I need to referee you two guys?
Posts: 120 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
That would be nice Tarah. "You said I said" debates dont make for good reading do they. LOL
Tarah
Member # 2793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay...it's interesting to see both sides of a topic from a objective point of view.
Posts: 120 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzy:
Could you please explain what these two have to do with his statement, and which make his statement False?

this will have to be like the 4th time this has been mentioned, but here goes again. zahi said that unesco came to the conclusion that diop's theories could not be accepted, when unesco did not come to that conclusion. zahi's statement was a lie.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
quote:
Im past trying to show you due respect, man what a load , Your mistake was that you thought it was the quote, it was not. Shall I cut and past all your Para phrases, do you know how many you have made? You left out part of a full statement, and quoted it, I made no claim to be quoting and made it clear it was my words. How about US law, do you know anything about that, you would be laughed out of court, for you comparisons of my paraphrase and sued for slader for misrepresenting a Quote.

You are making a fool of yourself.

I'm sorry u are taking a discussion on a msg board personlly.

Why u are emotional about this is something I have no idea about. Regardless of your attempts to draw me into something personal I'm not interested in doing so it's pointless, tiresome and does not belong on the board

U pointed out things I left out and I did not take it personally I simply stated why I did so. As I did with this responce

"Ozzy, I left it out because it has nothing to do with being African. Which is of course the point I was making. So there was nothing misleading there."

I have no idea why u were unable to do the same without introducing emotion into this when I indicate that u have done the same thing u are accusing me of.

As for US Law, not sure where this comes into play on a thread about the comments of Hawass. I'm not american and neither are u, also neither one of us live in the US.

Don't post if u are not prepared to have the post critiqued

If u are not interested in discussing the issue thats fine, if u don't want to show me any respect thats fine also, however show some respect to the board and keep the emotional issues and insults to yourself they are of no value to anyone.

Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Ohh dear, then I will rephrase my question, show me were they accepted it.

You do realise that your paraphrasing of Zahi's statement breaks the Obenga rule of word replacement. RE: recommendation and your replacement with Conclusion. Obserd is it not?

I don’t even like or agree with the guy (Zahi) but I can see his argument, it’s a shame.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's try to keep the debate civil. Nothing wrong with a debate,but let's no resort to Ad Hominem attacks.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
ausar, Thats the whole point, its not a debate.

I am ashamed to admit it, but I spent a few hours, finding the original quotes to 10 of Obengas paraphrases, anyone like to see those?

Oh and considering I am attacking his assertion, I am not making an Ad Hominem attack.

As proof of such an attack you need to Identify the attack of charactor and his circumstances and charactor of the person had nothing to do with the truth or falsity of the proposition being defended.

Can we move on now, It would be nice to get back to the topic, so I will ask the question, can it be shown that UNESCO accepted Diops theories?

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we done arguing like children?
Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keino
unregistered

Icon 12 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
this will have to be like the 4th time this has been mentioned, but here goes again. zahi said that unesco came to the conclusion that diop's theories could not be accepted, when unesco did not come to that conclusion. zahi's statement was a lie.

I agree! If someone is agnostic one cannot say that they don't believe in God. From what I get from briefly reading this thread is that UNESCO concluded that "more than" likely the african phenotype was larger (in greater number) in ancient Egypt, but we cannot definitely come to this conclusion based on the information that we currently have. That is my parapharse of the whole conclusion- what yah have to say to that ozzy and obenga? There, I parapharsed, hopes no one attacks me (smile)! From this I see it as misleading that Zahi would say that UNESCO could not accept Diop's theories. Its like calling an agnostic person athiest even though they states that they really believe that there is a God based on the Diop's arguments, but they just aren't sure because they need more information to be conclusive!

Obenga I think you are being to picky about paraphrasing and Ozzy you are chosing not to see how misleading zahi's statement is concerning UNESCO conclusion! I think you two are just agruing for the sake of arguing!

Where is the love my brothers and sisters?

------------------
Time Will Tell!- Bob Marley

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Keino:
I agree! If someone is agnostic one cannot say that they don't believe in God. From what I get from briefly reading this thread is that UNESCO concluded that "more than" likely the african phenotype was larger (in greater number) in ancient Egypt, but we cannot definitely come to this conclusion based on the information that we currently have. That is my parapharse of the whole conclusion- what yah have to say to that ozzy and obenga? There, I parapharsed, hopes no one attacks me (smile)! From this I see it as misleading that Zahi would say that UNESCO could not accept Diop's theories. Its like calling an agnostic person athiest even though they states that they really believe that there is a God based on the Diop's arguments, but they just aren't sure because they need more information to be conclusive!

Obenga I think you are being to picky about paraphrasing and Ozzy you are chosing not to see how misleading zahi's statement is concerning UNESCO conclusion! I think you two are just agruing for the sake of arguing!

Where is the love my brothers and sisters?

on the subject of unesco, i think the conclusion they reached was a copout. the black/white thing is silly and convenient when it needs to be. but obenga (or anyone else) do you have any info on what the oppositions to diop's arguments were at the conference, and who his opposition was?

Keino
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
on the subject of unesco, i think the conclusion they reached was a copout.

I think so too! There is always resistence to change even if that change is positive and/or correct.

------------------
Time Will Tell!- Bob Marley

Amun
Member # 1813

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Amun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the conclusion UNESCO reached was fair. We have to consider the fact that while Diop's conclusions haven't been disproven, they haven't all been tested. I don't see how anyone can disagree that ancient Egyptians were dark and light brown skinned people but who is willing to put in the effort to find out whether they were predominantly one phenotype or another? And why does it matter?

For the most part it wont change the way people feel about Egypt. I only hope that Egyptologists and historians will accept Egypt as an African country and accept the civilization of ancient Egypt as the beginning of African history.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
"obenga (or anyone else) do you have any info on what the oppositions to diop's arguments were at the conference, and who his opposition was?"

Kem-Au,

The book is still carried at Barnes and Noble I believe, the info is in the introduction if I remember correctly.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ww
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozzy
Member # 2664

Rate Member
Keno, thank you, nice to see a reasonable cohesive, explanation to that side of the argument. And your paraphrase was better than mine.

Simply pasting a quote and saying read this, its obvious, makes it difficult to understand why others make the judgment they do. A clear explanation of ones thoughts and reasoning make it perfectly clear.

Hopefully I can do the same.

I don’t know about anyone else, but all I have read about the UNESCO, are from the links provided here. To me they are very vague, my understanding of the debate is that, Diop among others provided, their theorises, opinions, on the topic of the origin of the Ancient Egyptian population. I would have thought there would have been a number of thoughts being expressed there. Not just Diop and friends against the world. I understand there are a number of Origin theories which involve native African migration. These theories range from North African origin, South East origin, and some have argued the West Coast. And of cause there are those who support the back migration from the Middle East theory etc. I would have thought there would have been representatives of all these thoughts at the debate.

Now I like Kenos break down of the conclusion made by UNESO Not just because it says it well but because I didn’t say it (Laugh) which is,

“UNESCO concluded that "more than" likely the African phenotype was larger (in greater number) in ancient Egypt, but we cannot definitely come to this conclusion based on the information that we currently have”.

From my point of view I see in the statement all of these theories being represented excluding the back migration thinkers. Colour has not been defined, which is not surprising, and the only real firm conclusion made is that the Ancient Egyptians were almost definitely African. There origin RE: what part of Africa, Black or light has been left open. Leaving open the West coast, North, South East, and any other I am not aware of.

I am no expert on Diop, but my understanding here is that Diop theories would have conflicted with some of the other African origin theories and he may have even debated with them as well. (If I am wrong about this, this blows my view out of the water). An example would be the connection the West Coast thinkers make to Egypt. I would imagine Diop would have had a problem with Berbers being suggested as the first inhabitants of the Nile.

Keep in mine Hawass, does agree that the Egyptians are African in origin.

Now if I am correct in saying that none of these think tanks have been excluded from the final statement besides the Middle east!, then the statement is on one hand Supporting those in regards to the Continent of Origin, being Africa, and the Ancients being African, but at the same time “not totally accepting, one over the other as to the exact place of origin, leaving it open to debate as to weather, As Diop argues, the people were black negro, or one of the other phenotypes supported by the other migration theories.

This is why I feel one could be forgiven for using the phrase, not accepted, as none including Diop theory were totally accepted. And none besides any non African origin Theories were totally disproven either.

From the point of view of a Diop supporter I could easily see the comment being reversed and argued that the other disciplines, who debated Diop, were “not accepted”.

Well that’s the reasoning I had for suggesting I don’t think his statement could be considered lying.

One last thing, at the risk of causing affence, I feel I have a largely different background than most of you guys, not just because Im white (I know every one here is not dark) and I am Australian, far removed for most of my life from the rest of the world. That’s why I moved to this side of the world for the experience and the contact with other countries. Many have pointed out that the litriture available to me has exclude some forms of Egyptology I have not been aware of, re the anti African sentiments. Im following up one those. And will continue to read suggested material, But in particular when asked or even pushed for input into a debate. Just because what seems to be clearly to many here is placed under my nose, does not mean I going to always agree, or see what you see, just because its said so. Suggesting things like, Bias, or Im chosing not to see, etc I don’t think is objective or fair. My views may change, as some have, and some may not, and even though some may not believe it I take in everthing that is put my way.

I hope I didn’t offend as this is not a debate I wish to start rather and understanding.

HERU
Member # 6085

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HERU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ZH: I really do not believe that Egypt is an African civilization.

What a shame

Posts: 318 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is surprising from this old interview-post of Hawass is how ill-informed he is.

For example, I wonder why he assumes that the neccessary morphological requirements for being "Negro"(itsself a problematic term" have to do with "lips and noses". The logical question is: how should one therefore classify those South East Asians and South Asians(India, Sri-Lanka) who don't pass ZH's morphological test?

ZH also claims that there is no connection between other traditional African cultures and that of the AE's. A number of Western anthropologists have themselves demonstrated cultural connections: Examples--Llhoti, Daniels, Breasted, et al.

ZH also claims that Diop engaged in his research on behalf of African Americans. Diop's "Nations negres et Culture" was originally a doctoral thesis presented to a Sorbonne panel before 1954--the year the dissertation was published as book. In 1954, black Americans were concerned with leagl issue pertaining to Civil Rights--not Ancient Egypt. In fact, if one does the research one will see that persons of European extraction have long been much more interested in AE than blacks in Africa or America. It is not blacks who arrange the ongoing world tours of Tut, Akhenaten, Rameses, etc. The vast majority of tourists to Egypt are from the European and Japanese world.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OLD POST QUESTION

It was claimed in the old 2003 post that "technology and culture have nothing to do with biology". That is correct given the enormous hard evidence of such: compare the technological level of Western Europe or Japan 2KYA with what it is today despite [b]no significant genetic change in the populations since that time[b].

But that belief is not shared by all anthropologists and archaeologists. In fact, the reason why the debates concerning the AE's have been so persistent is because in the minds of many "to be at the forefront of technological innovation at any time in human history could not have been the achievement of 'negroid peoples'"--hence the constant need to prove that the AE's could not have been "negroid". The The Seligman Hamitic hypothesis as paradigm is still maintained, but at the subtext level.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun:
I think the conclusion UNESCO reached was fair. We have to consider the fact that while Diop's conclusions haven't been disproven, they haven't all been tested. I don't see how anyone can disagree that ancient Egyptians were dark and light brown skinned people but who is willing to put in the effort to find out whether they were predominantly one phenotype or another? And why does it matter?

For the most part it wont change the way people feel about Egypt. I only hope that Egyptologists and historians will accept Egypt as an African country and accept the civilization of ancient Egypt as the beginning of African history.

yes,ancient egypt was a african civilization,but african history does not start with egypt.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
What is surprising from this old interview-post of Hawass is how ill-informed he is.

For example, I wonder why he assumes that the neccessary morphological requirements for being "Negro"(itsself a problematic term" have to do with "lips and noses". The logical question is: how should one therefore classify those South East Asians and South Asians(India, Sri-Lanka) who don't pass ZH's morphological test?

ZH also claims that there is no connection between other traditional African cultures and that of the AE's. A number of Western anthropologists have themselves demonstrated cultural connections: Examples--Llhoti, Daniels, Breasted, et al.

ZH also claims that Diop engaged in his research on behalf of African Americans. Diop's "Nations negres et Culture" was originally a doctoral thesis presented to a Sorbonne panel before 1954--the year the dissertation was published as book. In 1954, black Americans were concerned with leagl issue pertaining to Civil Rights--not Ancient Egypt. In fact, if one does the research one will see that persons of European extraction have long been much more interested in AE than blacks in Africa or America. It is not blacks who arrange the ongoing world tours of Tut, Akhenaten, Rameses, etc. The vast majority of tourists to Egypt are from the European and Japanese world.

IT WAS said that the nubians were the first ones outside of egypt to be the first true ones to study egypt and taught the egyptians to be egyptians again,and they renewed egypt's culture again when they fully invaded egypt.they invaded egypt before but it was in upper egypt mostly.

[This message has been edited by kenndo (edited 23 December 2004).]

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirica
Member # 6179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is no slip of the mind that Hawass forgot to mention Nubia, Kerma, and the Axumite kingdom. In fact it's amazing that the old man forgot that all of the peoples of the Nile river all the way to Ethiopia share a very distinct cultural identity that you can see shows similarities across the basin.

Every culture is unique, and all cultures interact with each other. Egypt, with it's circumcision, Nubian wigs and female hairstyles, bald headed men, smooth shaven faces, mainly white colored clothing indicate a culture that is paralleled all over BLACK East Africa. How many mustached faces do you see in Ancient Egyptian sculpture?

It's in part because many Africans (as well as Asians and Native Americans) do not grow facial hair. You go to parts of "Black" africa now, and you see that a substantial percentage of the male population do not shave. The Asiatic and Caucasoids have always had facial hair. In Ancient Egypt, that was not very common.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like to criticise Hawass if only because I think he is such an obvious weak-sell-out advocate of [wst] imperialist mytho-history in Egyptian nationality drag...that it seems like picking on an easy target; it is interesting to note that their are a few Hawassians who will quote him as if he were a serious scholar who supports the view of a non-African AE.

Begs the question: This!, is the best that you've got?

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 22 December 2004).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
yes,ancient egypt was a african civilization,but african history does not start with egypt.

even egyptian history does not start with egypt; at the very least it (the written record of it) begins with the pre dyanstic kings of Ta Seti A Group Nubia.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Ozzy
I don’t know about anyone else, but all I have read about the UNESCO, are from the links provided here. To me they are very vague, my understanding of the debate is that, Diop among others provided, their theorises, opinions, on the topic of the origin of the Ancient Egyptian population. I would have thought there would have been a number of thoughts being expressed there. Not just Diop and friends against the world. I understand there are a number of Origin theories which involve native African migration. These theories range from North African origin, South East origin, and some have argued the West Coast. And of cause there are those who support the back migration from the Middle East theory etc. I would have thought there would have been representatives of all these thoughts at the debate.
[/QUOTE]
The back migration, from the Middle East, theory on the origins of AE was a baseless argument (back then as it is now) that never had any facts to support it. This was a simple-minded conclusion based on post pharonic populations of northern Egypt (modern Egypt).
Originally posted by Ozzy
“UNESCO concluded that "more than" likely the African phenotype was larger (in greater number) in ancient Egypt, but we cannot definitely come to this conclusion based on the information that we currently have”.
quote:

Again, only when it comes to the origins of the AEs does this type of thinking ‘interesting proof, but we can never be sure’ pass for objective thinking. For example, one would never say that despite the fact that greeks thought that the AEs, as well as other neighboring Asiatics, help give rise to the greek civilization that the greeks were not white people in the first place. Despite evidence of Negroid strains found in ancient Greece, one would never ever say that the greeks were, in part Negroid.
Nevertheless, although it can be shown through bio-anthropology that there was a significant negro presence in pre-dynastic Egypt, as well as in the lands they lay towards the south, and southwest, so called objective thinkers can still call for even more proof. If this same type of thinking was applied to the origins of the ancient Mediterraneans, greeks, Mesoamericans, Chinese, Thailanders (Thais), etc….the debates could go ooooooooooooooooooooooon forever.

The belief that AE is of African Origins, but not an African Civilization is simply an oxymoron.
Originally post by Ozzy:
Well that’s the reasoning I had for suggesting I don’t think his statement could be considered lying.
I hope I didn’t offend as this is not a debate I wish to start rather and understanding.
[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion Ozzy, but I don’t agree with you. I think ZH is against an African origin to AE, although he says that he believes that AE developed independent of its African surroundings and indigenous peoples.

Also, what type of understanding are you trying to develop?(just curious) I agree that not ever discussion has to develop into a heated debate, but in the forum we challenge posters on their facts, which leads to debate if the poster chooses defend his/her thoughts without facts or wants to defend their facts.

Lastly, this notion of whether or not the AEs were black peoples grows tiresome. The true argument is whether or not they were Negroid. And of course this lead to the following arguments that for some….the AEs were not black enough to be considered black, and for others that they were more than black enough (if that makes sense).

But honestly, the mistake that’s being made here is a matter of semantics (especially on ZH’s part). To over exaggerate the similarities of SOME Negroid types while underplaying others is a game that whites and non blacks play to classify blackness by their standards. The problem is, these standards never hold up. To use ZH’s definition of what’s Negroid would be to whiten up about 80% of the west and sub-Sahara black populations. Moreover, almost no blacks in America would be considered Negroid as well by these standards.

Finally, I ask you to think of Europe and how there is just as much diversity there between the irish and the Spanish, and the Sicilians and the fins, and the Russians and the Hungarians, the german and Portuguese, etc. etc…. If there was one type established for us, lets say the blond hair, blue eyed, straight haired, Nordic type….then we could argue that you can not conclusively say that the greeks were for the most part white. Thank God, we don’t have that problem.

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for screwing up the format of my prior post.. Hopefully, i get it right this time.

quote:

The back migration, from the Middle East, theory on the origins of AE was a baseless argument (back then as it is now) that never had any facts to support it. This was a simple-minded conclusion based on post pharonic populations of northern Egypt (modern Egypt).

quote:

[QUOTE]

Again, only when it comes to the origins of the AEs does this type of thinking ‘interesting proof, but we can never be sure’ pass for objective thinking. For example, one would never say that despite the fact that greeks thought that the AEs, as well as other neighboring Asiatics, help give rise to the greek civilization that the greeks were not white people in the first place. Despite evidence of Negroid strains found in ancient Greece, one would never ever say that the greeks were, in part Negroid.
Nevertheless, although it can be shown through bio-anthropology that there was a significant negro presence in pre-dynastic Egypt, as well as in the lands they lay towards the south, and southwest, so called objective thinkers can still call for even more proof. If this same type of thinking was applied to the origins of the ancient Mediterraneans, greeks, Mesoamericans, Chinese, Thailanders (Thais), etc….the debates could go ooooooooooooooooooooooon forever.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ozzy:

The belief that AE is of African Origins, but not an African Civilization is simply an oxymoron.

quote:

I respect your opinion Ozzy, but I don’t agree with you. I think ZH is against an African origin to AE, although he says that he believes that AE developed independent of its African surroundings and indigenous peoples.

Also, what type of understanding are you trying to develop?(just curious) I agree that not ever discussion has to develop into a heated debate, but in the forum we challenge posters on their facts, which leads to debate if the poster chooses defend his/her thoughts without facts or wants to defend their facts.

Lastly, this notion of whether or not the AEs were black peoples grows tiresome. The true argument is whether or not they were Negroid. And of course this lead to the following arguments that for some….the AEs were not black enough to be considered black, and for others that they were more than black enough (if that makes sense).

But honestly, the mistake that’s being made here is a matter of semantics (especially on ZH’s part). To over exaggerate the similarities of SOME Negroid types while underplaying others is a game that whites and non blacks play to classify blackness by their standards. The problem is, these standards never hold up. To use ZH’s definition of what’s Negroid would be to whiten up about 80% of the west and sub-Sahara black populations. Moreover, almost no blacks in America would be considered Negroid as well by these standards.

Finally, I ask you to think of Europe and how there is just as much diversity there between the irish and the Spanish, and the Sicilians and the fins, and the Russians and the Hungarians, the german and Portuguese, etc. etc…. If there was one type established for us, lets say the blond hair, blue eyed, straight haired, Nordic type….then we could argue that you can not conclusively say that the greeks were for the most part white. Thank God, we don’t have that problem.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kenndo:

Technically, we can say it begins with Nubia but this is a hypothesis since so little is known about that point in history.

BTW,

Why are we bringing back year old topics?

and

I am the poster Amun

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
Technically, we can say it begins with Nubia but this is a hypothesis since so little is known about that point in history.

I don't why there are still a few people out there, whom despite availability of enough archeological and written evidence of the development of Nile Valley civilization coming largely from the south, still skeptical about this reality. Even the flow of the Nile itself should be enough to incite some common sense on this.

quote:
neo*geo:
Why are we bringing back year old topics?

Would you rather have it brought back as a new thread?

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 22 December 2004).]

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
Would you rather have it brought back as a new thread?

It doesn't make a difference to me anymore. It's not like the regular posters here have much else to talk about...

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
It doesn't make a difference to me anymore. It's not like the regular posters here have much else to talk about...

By which, I take it that we won't be hearing more of your routine complaints about having several threads on more or less the same topic!

kembu
Member # 5212

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kembu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kemet (Ancient Egypt) was not an African Civilization? LOL

Nevermind. It's come from none other than Hawass. What else would you expect?

He's not even ashamed to say all that stuff? What planet is he living on?

He looks nothing like an ancient Egyptian.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kembu:
Kemet (Ancient Egypt) was not an African Civilization? LOL

Nevermind. It's come from none other than Hawass. What else would you expect?

He's not even ashamed to say all that stuff? What planet is he living on?

He looks nothing like an ancient Egyptian.

Why is it the last sets of conquerors of geographic Egypt had
absolutely no interest in Kmt -- considering the ancient civ as a time
of ignorance, demolishing civic buildings for their stone and brick,
defacing statues and paintings, and even consuming ancient Kmtyw dead
bodies as mumia -- until Europeans began exploring and investigating?

Sure there may have been an exception or two but it seems there was no
collective concern for preservation or any sense of continuity from
African Kmt to Arab Misr on the part of the elite and ruling class, only
the lowly fellah kept Kmt alive in his day to day folkways and
syncretized religion.

When was the first book on Kmt by an Egyptian author writing in
Arabic published? What is the story of the training and developing of
homeborn Egyptian Egyptologist? Are they independent or wearers of cast
off jackets woven on the looms of western university education and its
views of the old culture of Kmt?

[This message has been edited by alTakruri (edited 23 December 2004).]

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

You asked some interesting questions on the birth of interest in ancient Egypt. Although the invading Arabs did some damage, there was also some Arabic authors that attempted to study the ancient language. Most of these people were more liberal minded sufis as opposed to orthodox clergy from al-Ahzar.

One peculiar figure stands out in my mind,and that is Dhul'l Nun al-Masry. He was either a fellahin from Akhmin or a Nubian living in Egypt. He comprised many books on the subject of ancient Egyptian writing. Some of his texts survived but others were burned and destoyed by the Arabian caliph,and he was killed and branded as a heretic.

I know of some indigenous Egyptologist such as Selim Hassan and Dr. Georgy Sahbry,and a few others whose name escapes my mind.

The following might explain more:

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/8825/8825.intro.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20010210224902/www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/events/conferences/enco/Visual/Haikal.htm

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ZH: I really do not believe that Egypt is an African civilization.[This message has been edited by Ozzy (edited 14 September 2003).]

Thought Writes:

Hawas is a very dangerous man. He should not be in the position he has.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
Thought Writes:

Hawas is a very dangerous man. He should not be in the position he has.

I personally could not agree with you more!

Posts: 115 | From: South Bend, Indiana, US | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Why is it the last sets of conquerors of geographic Egypt had
absolutely no interest in Kmt -- considering the ancient civ as a time
of ignorance, demolishing civic buildings for their stone and brick,
defacing statues and paintings, and even consuming ancient Kmtyw dead
bodies as mumia -- until Europeans began exploring and investigating?

[This message has been edited by alTakruri (edited 23 December 2004).]

Many years ago when I first started to research about the Arab presence in post pharonic Egypt it blew my mind about this discontent they had for the mummies and monuments of old. I read that the initial thoughts of the invading Arabs on the ancients were that the AEs were akin to the superstitious black Africans of the interior.

But as you mentioned, when it became profitable to gain and interest and association with the ancients of Kmt, then the story and attitude changed.

I have a great documentary by Mark Horton--A British Historian and Anthropologist that specializes in Arabic Africa--that talks about the Arabs trying to take credit for the medieval Swahili Indian ocean trade in much the same fashion.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
when it became profitable to gain and interest and association with the ancients of Kmt, then the story and attitude changed.
This fact is key to understanding the perverse attitude some have towards AE - disrespecting it and attempting to take credit for it at the same time. To say that AE isn't African by definition implies that AE civilisation is not indiginous but is rather owed to Eurasian invaders and that is disrepecting it to the nth degree.

In a way though, I'm pleased with what Hawass said, because it was so blatant and therefore indefinsible.

It is the more subtle dissembling that is more harmful.

You know:

* AE was African but not necessarily Black.
* AE was Black but not necessarily Negroid.

All three arguments are really saying the same exact thing, but the later two attempt to be 'slippery' about it.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
[QUOTE]

* AE was African but not necessarily Black.
* AE was Black but not necessarily Negroid.

Thought Writes:

Or:

* AE was mixed with Eurasians (or "Coastal Types") in the North and tropical Africans in the south.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
test
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When ZH is attacked as ignorant and ill informed, as some have done on this thread, it actually hurts the case you are trying to make.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
When ZH is attacked as ignorant and ill informed, as some have done on this thread, it actually hurts the case you are trying to make.

How so? If Hawass made a statement, that is easily shown to be incorrect and someone points that out, how does that hurt whatever case they are trying to make?

HERU
Member # 6085

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HERU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saying Egypt was not an African civilization is the mistake.
Posts: 318 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com