EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Seth---good or bad deity or trickster

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seth---good or bad deity or trickster
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally,most people precieve Set as being a bad deity in the Kemetian comonongy. From various stories told we see that Set embodies a type of sibling rivalry that existed around the pre-dyanstic times. Some have suggested that the wars between Set and Heru could symbolize a type of rivarly between Upper and Lower Egypt.

In some context Set is also represented as helping Re cross the barqe of eternity to journey to the underworld. He becomes a savior slaying the serpent of Apep[ignorance],so in all accunts Set is not necessairly evil. But in most instances Set is ineed a representation of chasos that came to represent the Western Desert.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seth is in my opinion, like the rebel brother. He rebels against his family...but when it comes to the crunch, he is there for them. Just my odd opinion.
Posts: 117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sneuropa
Member # 3190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sneuropa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Set fascinates me.

But I too wonder if He is a god, or if he is a devil or a demon.

My understanding is that originally he was a god and a celestial deity.
Some points are;
1) He was given the title "Majesty" like Re.
2)Asses were sacrificed to him, like horses sacrificed to Helios.
3)Rameses II made sacrifices to Set in order to make fine weather.

Devil;
1) Described as "great serpent of the Netherworld" and so is the World Serpent of Nordic Mythos- an evil devil.
2)Set kills Osiris.

Demon;
1)Se-Tekh can translate as "One who causes drunkeness". So is like Bacchus a daimon in Greek Myth.
2)Primitive cult to Set; may have even contained human sacrifice?

I also wonder if he is like Lucifer; a fallen Celestial. Once a Sky-god but later a chthonic demon. Seems that their was a change in the attitude to this god. First worshipped but later discredited and seen as evil.
The Hyksos worshipped him as Pep- a serpent and a dusty whirlwind. Hyksos were a lower race than the cultured aristocratic Egyptians.

Some thoughts,
thanks
sneuropa

Posts: 28 | From: U.K. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think he was good,bad or evil. I think mischeivous is the best word to describe him. As I said in my first message!
Posts: 117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Member # 2050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just today I posted something on this topic on another board.
http://www.kingtutone.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=441

As far as Set accompanying Re in his barque through the duat each night, since Set was the personification of evil, the idea was to use evil to overcome evil(demon, fiend).

------------------
Nesu.t-bi.t neb-taui Neb-Maa't-Re sa-Re Amen-hotep

Posts: 152 | From: Troy,NY,US | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com