EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » UMM AL MASRY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UMM AL MASRY
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar,

Do you really think this party is going to
change the identity of modern Egypt?..Is there a link to this organization?

Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it might over times once more modern Egyptians are educated about the past. The aim of the organization is not to ignore the Arab world,but to form a seperate idenity from it.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know of any Upper Egyptian organizations or leaders?
Posts: 74 | From: atlanta,ga | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No,I know of no particular Upper Egyptian leader that has found a voice. The only exception was Nasser except for the fact that Nasser was an Arab from an Arab family from Hejaz. Not indigenous Upper Egyptians that I know of.

I do know of an organization that records folk traditions,religion,and customs of the ancient Egyptians in modern Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Did you know Hoda Kotbe the weekend reporter
on NBC morning news program is from Heliopolis,Egypt?..She mentioned it during
a segment discussing an Egyptian artefact
that was being returned.She describes herself
as Arab on a Egyptian-American site.She looks
identical to the black american host Lester
Holt who cohosts the program.

Have you travelled back to Egypt?
Do you think a political party could change
the identity of Egypt without bloodshed?
I have read other threads where you defended
the rural/or Upper Egyptians as the true
descendants and many who present themselves
as "Arabs" seemed dispose to violence if
that should occur.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
Ausar,

Here is a Arab site from Saudi Arabia that
supports your info that the Upper Egyptians
are the true descendants of ancient Kemet.

EGYPT

The people

Although modern day Egyptians are usually lumped together with "the Arabs" due to their language and Islamic traditions, this is not completely accurate. There is a truly Bedouin Arab grouping within Egypt, the majority still nomadic tribal peoples living in isolated oases and roaming through the country's vast desert regions. Many Bedouin Arabs are settled in the Sinai Peninsula and along the Red Sea coast, across from Arabia.
However, anthropologically, the majority of indigenous Egyptians trace their ancestry back to the Semetic tribe of Ham. Their physical appearance and cultural traditions are distinct from all other Middle Eastern peoples.
The third main racial grouping in Egypt is comprised of the Nubian peoples who lived for thousands of years in their own land along the Nile, called Nuba, which overlapped from Upper Egypt into northern Sudan. Most of Nuba was flooded in the time of Gamal Abdel Nasser with the construction of the Aswan high dam and the creation of the artificial Lake Nasser. The Nubians were resettled by the government but much of their ancient culture and stunning architectural tradition has been lost.

source:http://www.arab.net/egypt/et_people.htm

ArabNet is owned by ArabNet Technology (ANT), part of the Saudi Research and Marketing Group, publisher of the leading newspapers and magazines in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia including Asharq Al-Awsat <http://www.aawsat.com>.

blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Quoted by Arab site:
The majority of indigenous Egyptians trace their ancestry back to the Semetic tribe of Ham.

I didn't know Ham had Semetic tribes. I thought they were Hamitic.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Here is some better and accurate information.

See the following:

Except for the black Nubians and Sudanese,Egyptains appear ethnically
homogenous ''arabs'' to most Western foreigners,compared to the
United States,India,or Indonesia,this might be the case,but Egypt's
ethnic makeup is far more complex.
Most Muslim Egyptains consider themselves Arabs with a strain of
native Egyptain ancestry that links them to the pharoahs and the
semetic people of Ham.
IN most cases the north,it's usually more complex than that. Waves
of foreign invaders and colonizers from the
Greeks,Romans,Persians,and Turks,and other Central Asians,to the
Mamelukes and Ottomans with ancestry from the Balkans,the caucaus and
places like Azerbaijan have been assimilated into the Egyptain blood
stream.

The majority of Egyptains who still work the land along the banks
of the Nile are known as Fellahin,or peasents. They are ther
backbone of Egyptain soceity asnd are closely associated with the
land and the riverthat has shaped their way of life for thousands of
years. The fellaheen are purer in their native Egyptain stock than
urban folk,who over the years have intermixed,married,and assimilated
with invaders and expatriates.

Those in Middle and Upper Egypt are called Sayeedis<Upper Egypt is
known as ''Sayeed'' and are streotypically known for their hot
blood,family loyalthy,and stubborness. Like the Irish in england or
southerners in the American northeast,they suffer bad jokes at the
hand of urban Northern Egyptains who consider them thick and simple
minded.

Page 39

Egypt Guide

John J. Bentley

Egypt Guide (Egypt Guide)
by John J. Bently, John J. Bentley

THE KEY to this history is that the Sudanese are not ethnically
Arab, even though the country is within the realm of Arab
civilization. As their dark skin attests, the Sudanese are Africans
of diverse ethnic stock. Many Egyptians <egypt.html> make
a similar disclaimer of Arabism , insisting they are
Africans of Pharaonic descent, a distinction that the eye confirms.
But the Arab conquest of Egypt ,
which was then Christian ,took place less than a
decade after the death of the Prophet Muhammad
, meaning that Egyptian society has been
Arabized for more than thirteen hundred years.
- By Milton Viorst, in Sudan's Islamic Experiment,
Foreign Affairs, Spring, 1995

istoricallyt,''baladi'' indicated the locals,the egyptians,as versus
the turks,the mamelukes,the french,or the british. To be Ibna' Al
balad,sons of the country,was to defend Egypt against French and
British occupiers. Balad a noun means community-wheater
country,city,townor village;in colloquiual Egyptian it can means
downtown or village. Baladi adjective form,means local or indigenous.
Through time,balady has come to connote the local or residents and
life of urban quarters such as bulaq Abu Ala It is a self
descprtive,emic term that can roughly be translated ''traditional''
but which also retrains a rich infusion of the local and authenic.

The early ninteenth centuiry history Abd Al Rahman al Jabarti used
ibn al balad to mean urbanite Cairene muslims who shared a dialect
and a relgion as oposed to foreign rulers who spoke arabic and
violate muslim normsJibarti detailed the mistreatment of these
Cairene theologians,merchants,and aristans by ruling elites. The
following Al jabarti references are quote in El Messiri''Some of the
troops used to buy sheep and sluaghter them,then sell them at high
price. They would give short weight and ibn al balad could nothing
but check them ""
pg 54 Baladi Women of Cairo

Evelyn A Early

Egyptians long considered Bedouins as ''the Arabs' and viewed the majority of the population as the ''real Egyptians.'' Fellahin[literally''tillers of the soil''] in many isolated Nile Valley villages have maintained features and many cuystoms of the Ancient Egyptians,as those shown in ancient representations.
page 447
Middle East Patterns: Places, Peoples, and Politics
by Colbert C. Held

One group prominent among Egypt's growing social and economic elite are desendants of the former ruling class,the Turks
page 448

by Colbert C. Held

Despite the marked growth of several cities,especially Cairo,Egyptian social structure retains village roots more than the urban migration would indicate. Increasing hundreads of thousands of landless and displaced fellahin have flooded into cities since the 1950's,often grouping themselves by place of origin and thus preserving their village idenity. Indeed,this kind of urbanization,the virtual displacement of village to city has been reffered to as the relization of Cairo''Incoming migrants typically have little education,almost no money,and no relavent skills.
page 449

by Colbert C. Held

In the region of Dahna,between Qena and Girga,the Hawaras and the fellahinregarded each other with profound hatred. A meeting ,a carless word,would give way to bloodshed,and the spite existing between the two stocks led in 1947 to a small-scale war.

page 112

First published in France in 1938 under the title Moeurs et Coutumes des Fellahs

first English translation Published in Cairo in 1945

New English translation with revisions by the author published by Beacon press in 1963
copyright 1963 by Beacon Press

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders
and Company ,Ltd, Toronto

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

The fellah is a sturdily built man,though rarely stout. His skull and face are broad,his forehead narrow,his eyes dark and hair curling. He has rather prominent cheeckbones,athick nose,full but seldom protruding lips and a heavy jaw. His features on the whole are rugged but not ill-favored,and are neither very sensitive nor expressiive. His thick wrists ,ankles,and neck distinguish him the supple Bedouin. His back is rounded,his shoulders not so much sloping as bent toward his chest and his hips are narrow. he has rather large flattish feet,and is rarely tall,his average height being about 5 feet,6 inches.

page 66

First published in France in 1938 under the title Moeurs et Coutumes des Fellahs

New English translation with revisions by the author published by Beacon press in 1963
copyright 1963 by Beacon Press

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders
and Company ,Ltd, Toronto

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Amwa,I believe that most Egyptians already see themselves as non-Arabic,and just as Egyptians. Most Egyptians that migrate to America probabaly identify more with Arabs because there is not a large population of Egyptians living in America outside the Christain Egyptian[Copts]

The person you mentioned from Heliopolis is not a Sa3eadi,but what we call Bohary[Lower Egyptian],so links to the Arab world might be stronger.

I believe that Umm Al Masry might face some opposition,but never will it resort to a mass civil war that has been hyped by some extreme Arabist. Egyptian goverment,however,needs tom definite tweaks in the system before sucess will ensure.

Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think any party can change identity of Egyptians ...

Ausar, "I believe that most Egyptians already see themselves as non-Arabic"
I don't think this is the case. Ideologically many Egyptians consider themselves Arabs, and more radically Semitics, even if this is untrue, thanks to Arabism. Although Egyptians sometimes refer to Gulf citizens as "Arabs"

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Raymon,this view I assure you is more prevalent in the North than it is in the south. Many Sa3eadi people such as myself see ourselves as unique. I am optimistic the pressence of the party will change matters.

The case of some Northeners calling themselves Arabs migght be true,but it is not true of the Egyptian people living in the south. We are not Arabs!!!!!!

In a way Egyptians identify other Arabs as shamy.[usually by their nose][reffering to Syrian Arabs]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
By the way,Ramond,I really enjoyed the article about Umm on your website. Great article that represent quality that I rarely see on other Egyptian websites. I wish to see more article of this caliber represented more widely about realvent subjects concerning modern Egypt. Perhaps,an article about pharoanic survials in Egypt,or about the rural Egyptian peasent that get glossed over.

Have you read the books yet that I recommend?

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
What's the difference between a Bohary Lower
Egyptian and a Saeedi?..I can understand
identifying with Arabs due to culture that's
not a problem for me.But,phenotypically they
resemble an american or Latin american black
person..Hoda Kotbe also resembles the Saeedi
pics you posted on your previous threads.

Amwa
Member # 3287

Rate Member
If Umm Al-Masry embraced their ancient
heritage fully that would be at odds with
Arabs who consider it a pagan religion and
worship Islam..Do you think there would be
support from radical arab muslims to co-exist?..Also,that would place Arabs as
conquerors who invaded someone else's land
and aren't the true descendants..I don't think that will play well because that's the
Arabs reason for hating Israel,they took
the Arab Palestinians land.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Anwa,the difference between Sa3eadi and Bohary is sometimes due to dialect. Sa3eadi have a distinctive accent and dialect,or even sometimes a cultural difference. Yes,even in the north some Bohary look like Sa3eadi Upper Egyptians. Plus Sa3eadi are much more traditional and conservative in their actions than the Bohary in Lower Egypt.

However,in Middle Egypt you sometimes also get lighter types from the North like places like El Minya. Even in these places you will find types of people that would be classified as ''black'' by America's standards of the term. Saeed is a large place that ecompasses everywhere south of Cairo. Most of the people approach light brown to dark brown in color with various hair textures.

Nawaal Saadawi,the Egyptianb feminist,looks alot like some people that are from Middle Egypt despite the fact she was born in the Delta.

kovert, the one and only
Member # 5017

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kovert, the one and only     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the name of this organization and do they have any branches in the states?

I do know of an organization that records folk traditions,religion,and customs of the ancient Egyptians in modern Egypt. [/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 253 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Arab/Egyptian debate, why not let the modern-day Egyptian speak for themselves?
I have a couple of friends--Egyptians--who live in Beni Suef. One evening, we were discussing Saudis, and I referred to them, and Egyptians as well, as Arabs. My friends were immediately outraged. They informed me that "perhaps Saudis are Arabs--we are not, we are Egyptians". I humbly drank my tea, and did not refer to Arabs for the rest of the conversation!

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com