EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The origin of the obeliske

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The origin of the obeliske
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an idea that the obeliske comes from the solar chapels that were very popular during the 5th and 6th dyansty. From these chapels we see the proto-type of the obeliskes that soon appear in the Middle and New kingdom. Anybody have any views on this? I also understand that the obeliske function was the replica of the Benben stone or the sun's rays.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have too much info on the Egyptian Obeliskes, although I am aware they existed over there and a common place in that culture. I have also read much about the Ethiopian versions, one of which ended up in Paris or Italy. There was a request to return it back to Ethiopia, but I don't know if that has happened yet! It was looted at a time the Italians were attempting to colonize Ethiopia, a venture which ended in total failure. Speaking of removing obeliskes from their homeland, I have seen your post, in which you state that the so-called Cleopatra "needle" obeliske in U.S. was taken from Egypt. Was this a consequence of a loot, or another sale orchestrated by a former Egyptian government? I also realize that in the Ancient times, a lot of man labour was needed to errect them into position, using extraordinary strong ropes.

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 25 June 2004).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The so-called obeliske in Ethiopia is a stela that has it's origins either in Merotic architecture or in the Cushic speaking culture in pre-Aksumite times. The function of the obeliske I believe was as a tomb because at the bottom it had a false door.

The Aksumite stela I believe was finally returned to the Ethiopian people. The stela once resided near the vatican of rome near other Egyptian obeliskes.

The ''Cleopatra's'' Needle was taken from Egypt I believe in pre-revolutionary time[before the Nasserite era] which means that Egypt was either under Ottoman or British rule. Don't quote me because I am not fully aware of the history of the obeliske.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evil Troll
Member # 22491

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil Troll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 47 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com