EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What do yout think of the future of Pyramids?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do yout think of the future of Pyramids?
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ancient Egyptian Great Pyramids and Nubian Pyramids seem to be holding on their own, after so many centuries of exposure to the elements and occasional vandalism. These are true expressions of human ingenuity and remarkable feat of engineering.

Here is a hypothetical question:

Do you think that these monuments will continue to withstand the test of time, that is, remain in place till the end of time (whatever that is)?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they will be sold to multinational corporations, who will turn them into Kemetic Theme parks, in the Walt Disney, Steven Speilberg tradition.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rasol, hopefully you are wrong!
I think, if Hawass has his way, the area around the Pyramids on the Giza Plateau will become a park-like setting, with many areas for people to spend a relaxing day--such as picnic areas, shade and of course, the new museum the SCA talks of building on the site. Many new areas have already been built, including new restrooms (badly needed!) and tourist rest areas.
With a beautiful park-like setting, the pyramids would be the main focal point of a people-friendly site.

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The goverment of Egypt wants to build a wall around the pyramids. Right know a rice factory is slow detereating the stone from the pyramids.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
The goverment of Egypt wants to build a wall around the pyramids. Right know a rice factory is slow detereating the stone from the pyramids.

Oh dear heavens, a rice factory? Why did the Egyptian government ever allow a factory that close, it's ridiculous.

I heard the Cairo is so over populated that the Egyptian govenment has built a city in the western desert. As for that walt disney theme Rasol, I don't know if you knew it already, but they did build a park a few miles from the Giza pyramids, based off the Universal Theme park in Florida. I mean that's fine, but to build a park "right on" an ancient site is a horrible idea! In my opinion, it will take away from the entire ancient feel of it.

But Supercar, I think the pyramids could last as long as the mountains, unless by some unfortunate chance that area became a war zone, which I pray will never occur.
http://www.dreamparkegypt.com/dreampark.asp

Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

If what Ausur stated is to be held as truth, then the AE monuments will definitely have an unsure future. Political leaders of the country usually value less the very things the common people hold so dear. As such, it wouldn't be surprising if the Egyptian government didn't see anything insane about building a wall around the pyramids. It is these same politicians who disregard monuments in an event of a war (God forbid), which could literally end up in the entire destruction of people's long built heritage in one day! Look at what happened to Iraq's historical artifacts in one day, a total destruction from which they are still trying to recover from. The same thing with the historical Buddha statues which were once in Afghanistan...they are no more. People should press for a huge international penalty for defacing historical monuments, whether during peace time or war!
The AE monuments could continue to stand, if they are backed up by the entire weight of the common Egyptian people of all generations.

Keiko
Member # 4827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the future of all ancient structures are doomed! I have a reason, though it may seem silly ...There's this high school in my city that's about 100 years old and for the past 5 years, many people were trying to tear it down to build something else there (I can't remember what) but a few people wanted to keep it there. So they spent a lot of money to keep it, and now they decided to destroy it.

Now, I think this could be an outline for what may happen to the pyramids...except slightly altered. I think that many people will start to neglect the structures, i.e. more vandalism, more factories in that vicinity, etc. There will be a few people, like Hawass and other historians who will fight to keep the area clean. After a short while, this attempt will prove futile as that generation of historians have no more power and a new one comes along who don't seem to really care about anything, thinking that we already know everything about them and that they are just a waste of space.

I find this very likely because todays society seems to be going down the drain very quickly!

Posts: 15 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Keiko:
I think that the future of all ancient structures are doomed! I have a reason, though it may seem silly ...There's this high school in my city that's about 100 years old and for the past 5 years, many people were trying to tear it down to build something else there (I can't remember what) but a few people wanted to keep it there. So they spent a lot of money to keep it, and now they decided to destroy it.

Now, I think this could be an outline for what may happen to the pyramids...except slightly altered. I think that many people will start to neglect the structures, i.e. more vandalism, more factories in that vicinity, etc. There will be a few people, like Hawass and other historians who will fight to keep the area clean. After a short while, this attempt will prove futile as that generation of historians have no more power and a new one comes along who don't seem to really care about anything, thinking that we already know everything about them and that they are just a waste of space.

I find this very likely because todays society seems to be going down the drain very quickly!

That sounds really bleak. But for the Egyptians, they had better hope it doesn't come to that. These Pyramids and other AE monuments are not just a valuable asset to their country, but also a source of foreign exchange. Tourism in Egypt is widely centered on seeing these Ancient sites, and laying eyes on these magnificant monuments. So, if they neglect them due to pressure of population growth or lack of maintenance, they are going to also hamper the tourism industry.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatley,the monuments in Upper Egypt are starting to decompose due to neglect. Since the Aswan Dam has been built the whole flood table of the Nile has begun to rise. Unesco has a website documenting threatened sites,and apparently the Valley of the Kings and the beautiful temples at Karnak and Luxor are on that list. Some measures must be taken to preserve the monuments.

You have to also remeber that regualr Egyptians who are barely making ends meet right know are dependent upon tourist dollars. The monuments are the only thing Egypt has to keep their country afloat besides aid from America.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Unfortunatley,the monuments in Upper Egypt are starting to decompose due to neglect. Since the Aswan Dam has been built the whole flood table of the Nile has begun to rise. Unesco has a website documenting threatened sites,and apparently the Valley of the Kings and the beautiful temples at Karnak and Luxor are on that list. Some measures must be taken to preserve the monuments.

You have to also remeber that regualr Egyptians who are barely making ends meet right know are dependent upon tourist dollars. The monuments are the only thing Egypt has to keep their country afloat besides aid from America.

I know that Egyptians need the money for their income. That should one of the reasons to safeguard these monuments. But I hope that a portion of the returns from tourism is kept aside for use in the maintenance of the pyramids, the Great Sphinx, and so on.

supercar
unregistered

Speaking of what implications the survivability of the AE monuments have on tourism, I couldn't help but reflect back on the "Sphinx and Pyramid" complex that I saw during my visit to Las Vegas. These are on the surface tributes to these monuments, but are clearly a rip off as well. They are designed to attract tourism in that gambling city. What will future potential rip off artists to make of the monuments that inspired them, and enabled to jump start and run their business, if those monuments were no longer in existance, or the way they once were? So there is more at stake here not just for the Egyptians!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 22 July 2004).]

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
If what Ausur stated is to be held as truth, then the AE monuments will definitely have an unsure future. Political leaders of the country usually value less the very things the common people hold so dear. As such, it wouldn't be surprising if the Egyptian government didn't see anything insane about building a wall around the pyramids. It is these same politicians who disregard monuments in an event of a war (God forbid), which could literally end up in the entire destruction of people's long built heritage in one day! Look at what happened to Iraq's historical artifacts in one day, a total destruction from which they are still trying to recover from. The same thing with the historical Buddha statues which were once in Afghanistan...they are no more. People should press for a huge international penalty for defacing historical monuments, whether during peace time or war!
The AE monuments could continue to stand, if they are backed up by the entire weight of the common Egyptian people of all generations.

War is a great and real threat to these historical treasures indeed! My heart cried for the lost artifacts in Iraq and Afghanistan. And in this day and age Egypts Arab government puts them as a target for America. Hope this day never comes to pass, but with the current state of the world government an politics that day could be any time.

supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Keino:
War is a great and real threat to these historical treasures indeed! My heart cried for the lost artifacts in Iraq and Afghanistan. And in this day and age Egypts Arab government puts them as a target for America. Hope this day never comes to pass, but with the current state of the world government an politics that day could be any time.

It is interesting how human nature makes the predictions for the futur look bleak in various aspects. Let us just hope, no such thing happens to these African icons.

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
It is interesting how human nature makes the predictions for the futur look bleak in various aspects. Let us just hope, no such thing happens to these African icons.

Honestly the reality of the times we are living in is bleak.....Let's just hope !~

Keiko
Member # 4827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think that most of today's society realizes just how important these monuments are in so many ways. like you all have said, they effect more than just the Egyptians. Hopefully more people will come to there senses and actually care for these structures.
Posts: 15 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asterisk
Member # 4878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asterisk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I really don't think that most of today's society realizes just how important these monuments are in so many ways. like you all have said, they effect more than just the Egyptians. Hopefully more people will come to there senses and actually care for these structures.

Keiko, let us trust firmly,but your understanding of the trend of loss is quite right;the more it is examined, the more serious is revealed the end of this trend, & indeed as for the pyramids, there is MUCH more to lose than the stones, the economy and the culture .one can sleep at the wheel but a little while before the sound of snoring becomes concerning...

Posts: 10 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by asterisk:

Keiko, let us trust firmly,but your understanding of the trend of loss is quite right;the more it is examined, the more serious is revealed the end of this trend, & indeed as for the pyramids, there is MUCH more to lose than the stones, the economy and the culture .one can sleep at the wheel but a little while before the sound of snoring becomes concerning...

Yet another way of putting it...interesting! I guess one can see another side of why the Egyptians are concerned about the over-population that Homeylu pointed out. In the process of making way for the accomodation for the population growth, the government is left with desperate attempts to sacrifice some of the ancient lands around the monuments, building factories close to the area, like the rice factory Ausar pointed out earlier, only then to build yet other structures like the wall (Ausar pointed out) around the the monuments to protect them from deterioration due to exposure to elements and wastes from those nearby factories. This gradual change in the ancient lanscape is of concern to those, who have become familiar with its present state. This in turn, is putting at risk the tourism industry talked about earlier, because the last thing one needs, is to put off potential tourists. Although not at a crisis level yet, another side effect of over population is the bad publicity that Egypt gets from violence against African immigrants stationed in the country, which doesn't also help in diluting concerns in the tourism connected with the Ancient monuments. Tourism, as pointed out earlier, is an important source of foriegn income. As we can see, all these situations are interconnected in varying degrees. However, is there anything assuring at the moment, aside from tourism, that doesn't make the future of these monuments bleak?

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 26 July 2004).]

asterisk
Member # 4878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asterisk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that many are dependent on tourism: there are peoples dependent on stripping all life from the earth they walk on,people "dependent" in short term on destruction in the longterm.. Tourism is more like this than its image shows. When a town or country focuses on tourism, it is a bit like prostitution,but no weekend:everything is geared to what will please the customer,soon the town has no reason to be except as exhibit. As if we would have things in our home so as to attract visitors, instead of so as to provide a nurturing and functional environment for ourselves. and many do. maybe everywhere in the world would become not a place with a life of its own and a reason to be and aa purpose, but just a place for others to shuffle through and look at. some places such as Egypt will always attract visitors, but they never truly "depend on an evergrowing Tourist Industry", they just seem to.
Posts: 10 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thoughts asterisk.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asterisk
Member # 4878

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for asterisk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rasol,I like that the literal root of 'depend' is 'hang from'.If person or nation finds themselves hanging from tourism,gambling misery or whatever, it seems the wise (excuse the expression) course would be, while not cutting the rope, at least thinking(excuse the expression) about how to change such a doomed arrangement
supercar
unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asterisk:
Rasol,I like that the literal root of 'depend' is 'hang from'.If person or nation finds themselves hanging from tourism,gambling misery or whatever, it seems the wise (excuse the expression) course would be, while not cutting the rope, at least thinking(excuse the expression) about how to change such a doomed arrangement

Tourism is an important source of foreign income in Egypt, but of course, this is not to imply that it is the only source. Egypt gets its income from various activities. It is now looked as a base for investment by many Industrial or other newly emerging markets. It is looked as a newly emerging market that could be used to export manufactured goods to countries in Africa, and the Middle East. This is another means by which Egypt is currently gaining foreign income, besides tourism. Egypt doesn't have petroluem, so it has to import this natural resource. Other economic assistance comes from aid. But the tourism is definitely important, and it is centered around Kemetian heritage, a source of pride for the nation.

AkhnAton*
Member # 4882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AkhnAton*   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hello
Listen, the wall is already finished and its something about 7m high and over 20km long. The decission is made from the "sights-management". I had a long talk with Dr. Hawass about it.
Im living directly infornt of the pyramids and many nights i spend on the "closed area" and every night when i ride through the gate i remember the words from Zahi: "The Pyramids are built to respect and to protect them. Now the area is safe, nobody can go inside".

Since some month the workers there are getting no sallery and the situation around the plateau is very bad. I hope one day it will get better. I can show some pictures if u want to see the wall. Some people belive its good to have the wall, but in my eyes its not there to protect the pyramids.

Best wishes
Akhnaton

Posts: 44 | From: Cairo & Stuttgart | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AkhnAton*:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[b] The goverment of Egypt wants to build a wall around the pyramids. Right know a rice factory is slow detereating the stone from the pyramids.

Hello
Listen, the wall is already finished and its something about 7m high and over 20km long. The decission is made from the "sights-management". I had a long talk with Dr. Hawass about it.
Im living directly infornt of the pyramids and many nights i spend on the "closed area" and every night when i ride through the gate i remember the words from Zahi: "The Pyramids are built to respect and to protect them. Now the area is safe, nobody can go inside".

Since some month the workers there are getting no sallery and the situation around the plateau is very bad. I hope one day it will get better. I can show some pictures if u want to see the wall. Some people belive its good to have the wall, but in my eyes its not there to protect the pyramids.

Best wishes
Akhnaton

[/B][/QUOTE]

Please do show us the picture. It should be interesting to see!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com