EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Press the "Post New Topic" Button...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Press the "Post New Topic" Button...
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is always the inevitable complaint that the 'racial topic' is boring, despite the fact that it is, by far, the most popular topic on this forum. But if you are bored with a subject, for whatever reason, simply post a new topic. Can't think of any? Here's some suggestions:

-- The oldest or first pyramid
-- The age of the Great Sphinx
-- Who actually commissioned the building of the Great pyramid.
-- The Amarna Revolution
-- Kemet's first social revolution
-- What the Kemetians loved to eat
-- Kemetian math and science
-- The status of women in Kemet
-- Sexual mores in Kemet
-- Kemetian art styles and the first cartoons
-- Lifestyles of the poor and the non-elite in Kemet
-- Court ritual
-- Anzebe: Kemetian educational system
-- Political coup d'etats in Kemet
-- Married life in Kemet
-- The meaning of the Ankh symbol

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cappa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol good point wally..
Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-- Sexual mores in Kemet

I like that one. When Kemetans had sex, were they more like white people or black people?

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunstorm2004:
[b]-- Sexual mores in Kemet

I like that one. When Kemetans had sex, were they more like white people or black people? [/B]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a book out called Sacred Sexuality in Ancient Egypt. It's interesting because it shows a side of Egypt rarely seen. Their freaky side. It seems that regardless of social, they were not afraid to get down.

BTW, one non-race topic I'd like to discuss is the life expectancy in ancient Egypt. It seems awfully low for such an advanced civilization. 30 years?!? Does anyone know of the life expectancy of other civilizations around the same time?

And what about modern Upper Rgypt for example. Are hospitals plentiful today? My family grew up in the American south, and due to the amount of exercise they got, it was almost normal for someone to reach 100 years, though hospital visits were rare. This is weird to me.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
[B]There's a book out called Sacred Sexuality in Ancient Egypt. It's interesting because it shows a side of Egypt rarely seen. Their freaky side. It seems that regardless of social, they were not afraid to get down.[B]

Kem-Au, what a clean mind you have!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually,the ancient Egyptians were extremely conservative sexual people. At least the commoners were,but I believe the pharoah might have been a different story. There is even a court case in the kenbet[local] court accusing a local man of sharing a women with his son.

The only evidence we have of promiscious activity in Egypt is the Turin erotic papyrus,and possibly this is of foreign origin.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

BTW, one...topic I'd like to discuss is the life expectancy in ancient Egypt. It seems awfully low for such an advanced civilization. 30 years?!? Does anyone know of the life expectancy of other civilizations around the same time?

Life expectancy in Kemet was essentially the same in proportion as it is today - richer nations have longer per capita life expectancies than do poorer nations. In Kemet, it depended basically upon which social class you belonged to:

"Egyptian children who successfully completed their fifth year could generally look forward to a full life, which in peasant society was about thirty-three years for men and twenty-nine years for women, based on skeletal evidence. Textual records indicate that for upper-class males, who were generally better fed and performed less strenuous labor than the lower classes, life expectancy could reach well into the sixties and seventies and sometimes even the eighties and nineties. Upper-class women also looked forward to a longer life than women from the lower classes, but the arduous task of bearing many children resulted in a lower life expectancy compared to their male counterparts."
Cambridge University Press; "Ancient Egyptian Society and Family Life."

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 06 August 2004).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, one non-race topic I'd like to discuss is the life expectancy in ancient Egypt. It seems awfully low for such an advanced civilization. 30 years?!? Does anyone know of the life expectancy of other civilizations around the same time?

"Life expectancy in ancient Egypt and Nubia was lower than in many modern populations. Whilst some ancient Egyptians undoubtedly enjoyed longevity, most were unlikely to live beyond about 40 years of age. This may seem young by today's standards, but it is important to view age within the context of a particular society. Thus, today people are shocked at the death of King Tutankhamun at the age of about 18 years, yet in his own society he was already 'mature' in terms of family and kingly responsibility."

Joyce M Filer

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sexuality in ancient Egypt was open, untainted by guilt. Sex was an important part of life - from birth to death and rebirth. Singles and married couples made love. The gods themselves were earthy enough to copulate. The Egyptians even believed in sex in the afterlife. Sex was not taboo... Even the Egyptian religion was filled with tales of adultery, incest, homosexuality and masturbation... with hints of necrophillia! Masculinity and femininity itself were strongly linked with the ability to conceive and bear children..."

"In the Egyptian community, men had to prove their masculinity by fathering children, while the women had to be able to bear these sons and daughters. Being a mother meant being able to keep her marriage secure and to gain a better position in society."

"Adultery in Egypt was wrong. Women got the worst punishment for adultery - a man might just be forced into a divorce, but a woman could conceivably be killed for that crime. In the Tale of Two Brothers, the adulterous wife was found out, murdered and her body was thrown to the dogs.
Unmarried women, on the other hand, seem to be free to choose partners as they so desire, and enjoy their love life to its fullest."

"Prostitutes advertised themselves through their clothing and make up. Some prostitutes wore blue faience beaded fish-net dresses, some of which is kept in the Weingreen Museum of Biblical Archaeology in Dublin. They painted their lips red, and tattooed themselves on the breasts or thighs and even went around totally nude."

Prescription to make a woman cease to become pregnant for one, two or three years: Grind together finely a measure of acacia dates with some honey. Moisten seed-wool with the mixture and insert it in the vagina.
-- Ebers Medical Papyrus

...Revel in pleasure while your life endures
And deck your head with myrrh. Be richly clad
In white and perfumed linen; like the gods
Anointed be; and never weary grow
In eager quest of what your heard desires -
Do as it prompts you...

-- Lay of the Harpist
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/sexuality.htm

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tour egypt is not always correct. I would recommend you get your information from books instead of tour Egypt,for books are much more accurate.

From what I read,Egyptians were open about sexual relations and it was permitted before marriage,but incest amungst the comoon people was taboo.

AE soceity probabaly had homosexuals but not as exagerated as some people make it out to be.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
"Life expectancy in ancient Egypt and Nubia was lower than in many modern populations. Whilst some ancient Egyptians undoubtedly enjoyed longevity, most were unlikely to live beyond about 40 years of age. This may seem young by today's standards, but it is important to view age within the context of a particular society. Thus, today people are shocked at the death of King Tutankhamun at the age of about 18 years, yet in his own society he was already 'mature' in terms of family and kingly responsibility."

Joyce M Filer

This is a clear example of 'amateurish Egyptology';

a) 'Nubian' culture hasn't been sufficiently studied to determine the average life expectancy of that population...

b) Apparently Ms Filer is not aware of, or simply dismisses Herodotus' tale of the "Long-Lived Ethiopians"("most of them lived to be a hundred and twenty years old, while some even went beyond that age" - Herodotus) -- Ms. Filer's Nubians of course...

c) She also seems to be unaware that it is extremely likely that the young Tut did not pass away quietly of 'old age' at 18 but was assisted on his journey to the Other World in a coup d'etat by the opponents of 'Atenism.' I personally believe that it was a military coup led by the general Horemhab...

like I said...
Life expectancy in Kemet was essentially the same in proportion as it is today - richer nations have longer per capita life expectancies than do poorer nations. In Kemet, it depended basically upon which social class you belonged to:
"Egyptian children who successfully completed their fifth year could generally look forward to a full life, which in peasant society was about thirty-three years for men and twenty-nine years for women, based on skeletal evidence. Textual records indicate that for upper-class males, who were generally better fed and performed less strenuous labor than the lower classes, life expectancy could reach well into the sixties and seventies and sometimes even the eighties and nineties. Upper-class women also looked forward to a longer life than women from the lower classes, but the arduous task of bearing many children resulted in a lower life expectancy compared to their male counterparts."
Cambridge University Press; "Ancient Egyptian Society and Family Life."

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Tour egypt is not always correct. I would recommend you get your information from books instead of tour Egypt,for books are much more accurate.

I wish I could copy and paste from books but I can't. For the most part tour egypt's info is acceptable. The ancient Egyptians didn't appear too conservative about sexuality but their attitudes could have changed from one period to another like they do today.

sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prescription to make a woman cease to become pregnant for one, two or three years: Grind together finely a measure of acacia dates with some honey. Moisten seed-wool with the mixture and insert it in the vagina.
-- Ebers Medical Papyrus

I've read that they also used crocodile dung as a contraceptive (though no one knows how they came to know it was good for that).

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[a) 'Nubian' culture hasn't been sufficiently studied to determine the average life expectancy of that population..]

That's not exactly true. Plenty of skeletal evidence has been studied of Nubia from A-Group to X-group and up to the Middle Ages. You might find these studies in peer reviwed physical anthropology journals. During the Merotic period Nubians used a acholic beverage to treat infection that naturally produced tetracyline

See the following:
http://www.emory.edu/COLLEGE/ANTHROPOLOGY/FACULTY/ANTGA/

[[b) Apparently Ms Filer is not aware of, or simply dismisses Herodotus' tale of the "Long-Lived Ethiopians"("most of them lived to be a hundred and twenty years old, while some even went beyond that age" - Herodotus) -- Ms. Filer's Nubians of course...]

We must be careful when quoting Herodotus,for many times his anthropologic and physical descriptions are accurate but much of his comments about social life are not. You have to remeber that it was both Egyptian and Nubian priests who presented information to Herodotus. Plus it might be simply an interpretation of ''Long lived'' which might indicate that simply Aethiopies[Nubians] might have a longer history than other human beings or are amung the first people.

Wally,I am glad to see you using more up to date sources. There are various books written by Rosalind Jansen on Growing up in Ancient Egypt and Growing Old in Ancient Egypt. Library material might be difficult to obtain but both these books will answer your questions. Something also that might be helpful is ancient Egyptian medicine by an author with the last name Nun. A comprehensive study of the mummies has been undertaken and their history of illness.

sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
AE soceity probabaly had homosexuals but not as exagerated as some people make it out to be.

I didn't know of this part of AE's reputation. I know ancient greek culture was thought to be liberally homosexual, but AE?...

I've also read a version of the negative confessions with one part reading "I have not committed homosexuality."...

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
quote:
[b]AE soceity probabaly had homosexuals but not as exagerated as some people make it out to be.

I didn't know of this part of AE's reputation. I know ancient greek culture was thought to be liberally homosexual, but AE?...

I've also read a version of the negative confessions with one part reading "I have not committed homosexuality."...[/B]

Homosexuality seems to have been quite taboo compared to ancient Greece but there were openly gay people in AE.

Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This, of course, is only one tomb among ever so many, but it may give a slight idea of AE's take on homosexuality.
Whatever believed through-out the land, obviously these two people wanted to spend eternity together.
www.egyptology.com/niankhkhnum_khnumhotep/ (underline between niankhkhnum and khnumhotep)

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Osiris II,what about the fact that both the tomb owners have wives and children present? You know just because two people are shown in a close embrace does not mean they were homosexuals,for ancient Egyptians have different hand gestures and symbols as symbolic representation. I feel that modern reserchers might be interjecting a little of their own modern prejustice instead of following what the texts say.

On the other hand,there is a 6th dyansty text that describes midnight encounters with the pharoah Pepi II and a certain general Sissine. It's not quite clear what to make of this text.

Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beg to differ, ausar. Only one wife is present, and her image has been erased, but egytologist have been able to see that it did exist at one time. Only one man is shown to have had a wife. The information below is taken from a lecture by Greg Reeder for ARCE/Northern California.

Only at the entrance to the tomb are the two men portrayed in a fishing and fowling scene with each of their wives and their children. In every other portrayal in which the two men are shown together, Ni-ankh-khnum is positioned either to the right of or behind Khnum-hotep, just as a wife would be portrayed. When the two men are portrayed separately as in an elaborate banqueting scene, Ni-ankh-khnum is shown holding a lotus blossom, a construct which appears nowhere else during this period except when portraying wives or women. The two men are frequently portrayed holding hands, always with Ni-ankh-khnum behind Khnum-hotep, just as a wife following her husband is portrayed. At the south end of the tomb‘s rock cut chamber in the aforementioned banquet scene, Khnum-hotep is seated to the left. Behind him is the remnant of a "wife" image. His wife, Khenti-kaus, dutifully stands behind her husband with the remnants of one hand resting on his right arm and the other grasping his left shoulder. The image has been plastered over so that only the shadow of the image is visible. Ni-ankh-khnum, who sits to the right in the scene, is not portrayed with a wife behind him at all. An inscription, associated with the musical director who faces singers and harpists in the register below the banqueting principles, reads, “play the song about the two divine brothers”.

[This message has been edited by Osiris II (edited 06 August 2004).]

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

I wrote:
[a) 'Nubian' culture hasn't been sufficiently studied to determine the average life expectancy of that population..]
Ausar responded:
That's not exactly true. Plenty of skeletal evidence has been studied of Nubia from A-Group to X-group and up to the Middle Ages. You might find these studies in peer reviwed physical anthropology journals. During the Merotic period Nubians used a acholic beverage to treat infection that naturally produced tetracyline

OK, not exactly true, but what I had in mind when writing this was the Nubian culture still lying buried beneath Lake Nasser!

quote:

I wrote:

[[b) Apparently Ms Filer is not aware of, or simply dismisses Herodotus' tale of the "Long-Lived Ethiopians"("most of them lived to be a hundred and twenty years old, while some even went beyond that age" - Herodotus) -- Ms. Filer's Nubians of course...]

Ausar response:
We must be careful when quoting Herodotus,for many times his anthropologic and physical descriptions are accurate but much of his comments about social life are not. You have to remeber that it was both Egyptian and Nubian priests who presented information to Herodotus. Plus it might be simply an interpretation of ''Long lived'' which might indicate that simply Aethiopies[Nubians] might have a longer history than other human beings or are amung the first people.

Of course you read Herodotus with the same scrutiny with which you read anything, like the text in the link that you referenced. Herodotus also expressed his belief that the Black races (and we know the ones he was referring to...) were black because the black man's semen was black!

In his passage regarding the long-lived Ethiopians, Herodotus was not being euphemistic, he stated clearly that they lived to be one hundred and ten years or so. I used this to show that any scholar, familiar with Herodotus, would at least think perhaps that this population, the catch-all Nubians/Ethiopians, probably lived longer than 30 years.

quote:

Ausar wrote:

Wally,I am glad to see you using more up to date sources. There are various books written by Rosalind Jansen on Growing up in Ancient Egypt and Growing Old in Ancient Egypt. Library material might be difficult to obtain but both these books will answer your questions. Something also that might be helpful is ancient Egyptian medicine by an author with the last name Nun. A comprehensive study of the mummies has been undertaken and their history of illness.

I have already stated my opinion about so-called 'up to date sources.' I have yet to find any 'updated source' which raises the historically significant point that the word "Ethiopia" is derived from the Egyptian word "Ethosh" and not from the Greek, etc., etc...

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 07 August 2004).]

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Here are some Kemetian sexual expressions:

Ute - Uterus
(Now here's what Western dictionaries tell you - "Etymology: Latin, belly, womb; probably akin to Greek hoderos belly, Sanskrit udara")
I think it's probably akin to the Kemetian word Ute from which the Greeks added...

Kat; Shedi; Kefen - Vagina

Smai - to join; to copulate

S_teken m hime (Oti) - 'to penetrate the female'

Honen; Honnu - Penis (Etymology (?) honen - to plow > honnuti = fellaheen )

Honnut - Clitoris

Mhu - Coition; 'the begetter'

Ben; BenBen - erection; ejaculate

Tata; Dada - to masturbate

Njmjnmiu - love joys (from Njm; Ntchem; Noutm - "sweet")

NjmNjeme(t)! - a Ho!

NjmNjmit - more than one Ho...

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Wally,are you getting these terms from E.A. Wallis Budge dictionary? Could cite your reference and page number whenever you post something. Just want you to do this to cross reference what you cite. That's always vital.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Wally,are you getting these terms from E.A. Wallis Budge dictionary? Could cite your reference and page number whenever you post something. Just want you to do this to cross reference what you cite. That's always vital.

No problem...
The terms used are all from An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary : With an Index of English Words, King List, and Geographical List with Indexes, List of Hieroglyphic Characters, Coptic and Semitic Alphabets (Vol 1&2)
by Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge (EWB)

Everyone who is interested in "Ancient Egypt and Egyptology" should, at the least, have access to this text (your local public library or college library).

--To use it is very basic as it contains an index of English words, so for example if one wishes to look up the word(s) for hair, the index listing will show the page(s) which contain the Kemetian word(s)for hair.

--One should also be aware of the fact that Budge uses the standard Westernized method of interspersing an 'e' in between consonants, even when he has a Coptic, Hebrew, Persian, or other reference source which reveals the actual vowel. For example, the Kemetian word for name is written 'rn' and Budge renders it as Ren, when he knows that it is Ran in both Coptic and Yoruba. That's why some Egyptologists dispense with the vowels altogether and write the word as it's written in Kemetian.

--However, it is an invaluable text and it contains a lot of words, and in many cases, words that are very revealing of the Kemetian ideology...

PS: I personally use the African reference, when it is available. For Example, the Kemetian word for Uterus or Vagina is written 3ti whereas in Coptic it is Oti, Oute, etc., therefore I personally write the word as Oti or Ute...

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 08 August 2004).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Also be aware that Coptic comes in various regional dialects like the two main ones are Sahidic and Boharic. We also have branches of this language divided into sub-categories. Sahidic is the cloest to the anceint Egyptian tongue and moreso than Boharic which contains more Greek words in overall vocabulary.

When I get some time I plan to learn Sahidic Coptic and maybe the Boharic dialect. Most scholars will tell you little evidence exists of what AE language sounded like when spoken.

I believe the answer to this is in Upper Egyptian dialects in colloquial Arabic. Despite the Arabic loan words,it still contains a good portion of the AE language. Al l the time people complain on the East Bank of Luxor they cannot understand the people there when they talk. Same is true in Cairene settings.

homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[b]-- Sexual mores in Kemet

I like that one. When Kemetans had sex, were they more like white people or black people? [/B]

ROFLOL!!!

good one

Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Osiris II:
This, of course, is only one tomb among ever so many, but it may give a slight idea of AE's take on homosexuality.
Whatever believed through-out the land, obviously these two people wanted to spend eternity together.
www.egyptology.com/niankhkhnum_khnumhotep/ (underline between niankhkhnum and khnumhotep)

Spending "eternity" together is one thing, but some of this could be exaggerated, since even today it's culturally accepted for Egyptian men to hold hands, and I also heard that they can kiss eachother on the cheeks like the Italians do. But they said it was illegal for them to kiss the opposite sex in public- weird.

Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Not just in modern Egypt but in African countries in Western Africa you can see two males holding hands. Which is why I think sometimes these depictions are simply a matter of interpretation. People are bringing their European Victorian sensiblity on to a ancient Egyptian culture.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Also be aware that Coptic comes in various regional dialects like the two main ones are Sahidic and Boharic. We also have branches of this language divided into sub-categories. Sahidic is the cloest to the anceint Egyptian tongue and moreso than Boharic which contains more Greek words in overall vocabulary.

When I get some time I plan to learn Sahidic Coptic and maybe the Boharic dialect. Most scholars will tell you little evidence exists of what AE language sounded like when spoken.

I believe the answer to this is in Upper Egyptian dialects in colloquial Arabic. Despite the Arabic loan words,it still contains a good portion of the AE language. Al l the time people complain on the East Bank of Luxor they cannot understand the people there when they talk. Same is true in Cairene settings.

Sounds Great!! You should do this...

Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member

Not just in modern Egypt but in African countries in Western Africa you can see two males holding hands. Which is why I think sometimes these depictions are simply a matter of interpretation. People are bringing their European Victorian sensiblity on to a ancient Egyptian culture.

There is a big difference between the modern-day Egyptians holding hands or giving one another a "peck" on the cheek in greeting, and a carving showing two men pelvis-to-pelvis, with lips almost touching. As I said in a previous post, it is only one tomb of many. The majority of the tombs show male-female couples spending eternity together. Is sexual mores so inhibited today that we cannot accept the fact that two men may have been in love?
Although both had wives shown at the entrance to the tomb, in all other scenes only the men are present--the wife of the one being plastered over, and the other showing no wife. One takes the position commonly taken by a wife, behind the male figure, or sharing an banquet together.
Early Egyptologists, filled with Victorian outrage, said the men must have been brothers! But such has shown not to be true. Again, the carving of the two men in extremely close positions nullifies any such concept. Even brothers would not stand in such a way.
Face it--it's an example of homosexuality in ancient Egypt.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Osiris II:

There is a big difference between the modern-day Egyptians holding hands or giving one another a "peck" on the cheek in greeting, and a carving showing two men pelvis-to-pelvis, with lips almost touching. As I said in a previous post, it is only one tomb of many. The majority of the tombs show male-female couples spending eternity together. Is sexual mores so inhibited today that we cannot accept the fact that two men may have been in love?
Although both had wives shown at the entrance to the tomb, in all other scenes only the men are present--the wife of the one being plastered over, and the other showing no wife. One takes the position commonly taken by a wife, behind the male figure, or sharing an banquet together.
Early Egyptologists, filled with Victorian outrage, said the men must have been brothers! But such has shown not to be true. Again, the carving of the two men in extremely close positions nullifies any such concept. Even brothers would not stand in such a way.
Face it--it's an example of homosexuality in ancient Egypt.

This is a rather silly discussion. Kemet was a human society and the Kememu were humans with all the strengths and frailties and mores that exists in all societies. Of course there were homosexuals in Kemet, as well as priests, criminals, perverts, celebates, and on and on...
However, each society determines its own code of morality, and if you want to know the social attitude towards homosexual behavior in Kemet, you can easily assess this through the attitude of their descendants (IE, Upper Egyptians) and of related African societies. You'll pretty much find a rather commonality of thinking on this issue.
Kemet did not exist in some splendid, romantic isolated Nirvana wherein the laws of human society did not apply...

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
I'm glad to see that you don't live in a romantic reality. You are definatley right ancient Kemetians had streangth and weakeness. We should not over romanticize the ancient Kemetians,and I acknowleadge homosexuals existed,but I just question the methology used in studies of tomb art.

Most people would just assume these two in the mastaba were homosexuals but one must understand that hand gestures like the ''hennu'' and ''lua'' are symbolic poses that were employed to have spirtual and symbolic meanings.

I am aware there are homosexual references in the Middle Kingdom and in other periods. I pointed out a story myself about Pepi II and his general. I am just trying to get people to critically think about the situlation.

Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member

Most people would just assume these two in the mastaba were homosexuals but one must understand that hand gestures like the ''hennu'' and ''lua'' are symbolic poses that were employed to have spirtual and symbolic meanings.

Look CLOSELY at any reproduction of the tomb. Saying that hand gestures were employed, and interpretation of the carving have just been in error is ignoring the facts that one can see for themselves.
True, in many of the carvings gestures used could be wrongfully interpreted, but the carving of them together leaves very little to the imagination. They are shown, as I've said above, pelvis to pelvis, with lips almost touching. I see no hand-gestures that could be misinterpreted in this scene.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com