EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Incest in ancient Egypt: The misconceptions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Incest in ancient Egypt: The misconceptions
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people view AE soceity as one of incestious unions. In the case of royalthy this maybe true,but incest is very rare amungst the commoners. Only the royal family according to many in imitation of the neteru praticed incest. One slight misconception arises from the titles that husband and wife called each other such as sister/brother. The titles had no incestous conotations,for the words were simply meant for a husband and wife in a loving relationship,and not brother or sister marriages.

One thing that almost must be refute is polygamy in AE soceity. Certain the pharoah have many wives and concubines,but simply the pharoah. The same was not true for the commoners,and most tended to have simply one wife implying most were monogamous instead of polygamous as postulated by some scholars. Very rarily did we find multiple marriages to more than one wife.

Hope this clarifies some points and misconceptions about AE soceity.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
One slight misconception arises from the titles that husband and wife called each other such as sister/brother. The titles had no incestous conotations,for the words were simply meant for a husband and wife in a loving relationship,and not brother or sister marriages.
Are there any cases where confusion over this point reach the level of the Kemetic royalty. ie - where husband and wife are mistaken to be brother and sister?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incestious relationships for royalty was much more common than amungst the commoners. However,many wives that bore children were from commoners themselves such as Queen Tiye in the New Kingdom and other examples with Pep I and his wife who was daughter of his high commander Weni. Not all cases in royal lines was incest comitted.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is everyone's opinion of the relationship between Nefertari and Ahmose.
They are sometimes reported as brother and sister via Seqenenra TaoII, at other times Ahmose is reported to be son of Ahhotep I.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

let us not forget:

The matriarchy , or descent through the female line was the basis of the social organization in Kemet, Nubia, and other Black states of antiquity, whether in Africa or Asia (IE Susa/Elam). It was the female who transmitted political rights and authority.
So, sometimes it was necessary for a king to 'marry' his sister, or even his daughter. It was a question of legitimacy.
For the ordinary citizen, this wasn't an imperative. One husband, one wife, was sufficient...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The founder of this Dynasty is less well known to the general public, but unquestionably of major importance to Egyptian history.

He was Ahmose I, during who's reign Egypt was finally and completely liberated from the Hyksos. Various scholars attribute different dates to his reign, but he probably became ruler of Egypt around 1550 BC at the age of 10, and ruled for a period of around 25 years before his death (examination of his well preserved mummy suggest he was about 35 when he died).

Ahmose I (Amosis to the Greeks) was given the birth name Ah-mose (The Moon is Born).

His thrown name was Neb-pehty-re (The Lord of Strength is Re). He was probably a boy when he assumed the throne, having lost his father Seqenenre Tao II and his brother Kahmose within three years of each other.

His mother was Queen Ahotep, a powerful woman who was perhaps his co-regent during his early years.

Egyptologists believe that during his very early reign, little was probably accomplished and perhaps the Hyksos may have even gained some ground, recapturing Heliopolis. However, by the end of his first decade in power, we know from an autobiography of Ahmose, son of Ibana, a naval officer from El-Kab, that he laid siege on Avaris (The tomb of Ahmose Pennekheb, another soldier also records the campaigns).

This was a long battle interrupted by the need to put down insurrections in already liberated territories, but appears to have been successful sometime between his 12th and 15th year as ruler. Afterwards, he attacked the southwest Palestinian fortress of Sharuhen in a six year siege that would finally put an end to Hyksos control of Egypt.

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Osiris II:

His mother was Queen Ahotep, a powerful woman who was perhaps his co-regent during his early years.

So he was the son of Ahotep and Seqenenra TaoII?

Akhenaten
Member # 4392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Akhenaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite agree - I think the incidence of incestuous relationships is absurd as the Ancients were one of the most civilised people in the world - and I have been learning about them since I were 2 - I am now 44 and very well read.
Posts: 57 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com