EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Seth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seth
Ankhesenppaten
Member # 5284

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ankhesenppaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if Seth has any sacred stones? I'm looking for one that I can wear around with me for protection.

------------------

Posts: 4 | From: Russell, Ks, US | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I know of,but I believe the color associate with Set is red. It represents the dangerous element of Set,but at times Set was positive with the slaying of Apep.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Not that I know of,but I believe the color associate with Set is red. It represents the dangerous element of Set,but at times Set was positive with the slaying of Apep.

Apep?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ankhesenppaten
Member # 5284

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ankhesenppaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apep(Greek Apophis) - the serpant that lived in the underworld and threatened to swallow the sun during the night. Seth is always as the head of the Solar Barque to fight the serpant and pervent him from killing Re. Seth would always kill him, but during the day he would be reborn from Neith. He is seen as the ultimate evil.
Posts: 4 | From: Russell, Ks, US | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thx.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swam
Member # 5321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Apophis is the original snake, I have seen many greenish/blue amulets of him.
The name Pepi is a form of Apophis
I also remember seeing in a book about Egypt in the Mazenod collection, a plate figuring two eyes, a man in between them with Ra on his head, walking on an Apophis snake, dating from Amenhetep III's time, but found, if I remember well out of Egypt?
I could not find it on the net, and feel the sudden urge to find and check the book I had borrowed years ago.

A stone for Seth?
I was lost in the thread, Seth, red and fiery, blood, dSr ib, red of heart, angry, it was also the colour used by scribes to note the evil or negative comments.

Purple red quartztite maybe, for his statues, or for smaller objects a stone with a higher density, red/orange Cornaline/calcédoine (in french), iron gives it that color it darkens it he sun, and is said to calm boiling tempers.The advantage with cornaline is thatit can be carved and used as a seal.

If you can afford more,,,,,, i imagine Seth's eyes as shining rubis.
Rubis are said to keep sickness and evil away.
i dont know if Seth had a specific stone, (a part from red) in Egypt, stones were sacred, respected.
Statues for example would be difficult to make out of precious stones, so it depends on the type of object: big it could be red granit, red quartztite, small representations would give more options.

this link is funny and explains Seth's labels= why i shiver when think of him: http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/egyptian-mythology.php?deity=SET

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most valuable stone in ancient Kmt[Egypt] is lapi lazuli. As early as the first dyansty it was excavated in Egyptian tombs.

[If you can afford more,,,,,, i imagine Seth's eyes as shining rubis.
Rubis are said to keep sickness and evil away. ]

Did you say Rubiess? I don't believe ancient Kemetians[Egyptians] had acess to rubies. Do you have any more information about this? Also was Set ever in the form of a human like Heru?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ankhesenppaten
Member # 5284

Rate Member
I have a ring of lapis that has worked wonders with me for a while.
Of all my research I have never seen Seth in a human form. He has always been pictured in the composite of the human body with the unknown animals head or of the seth creature.

swam
Member # 5321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right ausar, I got carried away, rubies would be very un-egyptian, I don’t recall seeing rubies in museums, and the small gems would have to be imported from India, Afghanistan, or Asia.... inexistent at that time? so Seth could not have rubies as eyes, eventually grenats, and it was just my imagination tripping around his strange appearance.

Ankhesenppaten lapis is more Thot or Osiris like and dark blue, associated with air, and fluids the XVIIIth dynasty were keen on lapis. (grapes, small figurines) Nowadays, it’s the communication stone. I would think malachite was also extremely valued by Egyptians, as they used the powder against infections and to protect their eyes.

All stones have a special value find out exactly what sort of protection you need. (health, heart, power, addiction, good luck)
you can find plenty of books about the healing virtues of stones on the market.

Used at that time, and in the around area, the 12 stones symbolising the tribes, inlaid on the priests cloths, are sardius topaz carbuncle emerald sapphire diamond jacinth agate amethyst beryl onyx and jasper.
.Sardonyx and Jasp can be found red. their action is on the blood.
Those 12 stones are enumerated in the bible, exodus 39.
Jasper was used in AE for amulets, jewellery, rings, necklaces, pectorals.

I have never heard of special stones being attributed to different gods, I suppose there was a material interchange ability depending on the purpose of the object.
excusez mon anglais.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Color had different symbolism from green to blue,and other various colors. Not sure if any stones were said to have an spirtual meanings. Some particular trees and plants or animals might have had deep symbolic meaning but not really stones.

The color blue was typically looked at as a protecting color. Green was seen as fertility or regeneration. Dark blue was the color of mourners at funerals.

Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a red stone used often in Ancient Egypt, try Carnelian.

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 10 October 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vladis
Member # 5721

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Vladis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Also was Set ever in the form of a human like Heru?

There is a unique stela in Leiden Museum where Seth is depicted as a human. More interesting things: Seth is struggling with Apep, and Apep is depicted as a snake but also with a human head! (Three topmost images.) Sorry, the page is in Russian. http://www.maat.ru/object/2004.11.shtml
Source:
Schneider H. Life and Death under the Pharaohs. Egyptian Antiquities from the National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden, the Netherlands. – Leiden, 1997, pp. 22–23.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com