EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Imhotep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Imhotep
lizabeth77
Member # 5796

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizabeth77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone have any information for me about him, Non "MUMMY" related?
Posts: 13 | From: Plymouth,NH,United States | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizabeth77
Member # 5796

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for lizabeth77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
with regard to Imhotep ... someone told me that there were 2 of them, and that one of them was a high priest under seti, and that he stole his mistress, and that he tried to raise her from the dead and was killed and mummified, although not alive like in the movie. I am inclined not to believe any of that, but I am currious to know whether that is something that I am overlooking. What I have found about Imhotep was that he was born a commoner, and was commisioned to build a stepped pyramid for Djoser. He was a surgeon, and an architect, amoung other things, and he was made a high priest. I have found nothing of this other so called Imhotep, but again I do not know everything and so even though I am inclined to I will not shrug it off so quickly. any info would be apprecited, whether to negate this claim, affirm it or to give me any other insight about Imhotep. Thank you!

Posts: 13 | From: Plymouth,NH,United States | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Imhotep was a farily common name. Some debate about the historical Imhotep as some believe he came from Annu[Heliopolis] or from Southern Egypt[around from Luxor]. Many people had the name Imhotep III that built some of the pylons around Luxor at Karnak.

The Imhotep of the Mummy was not an actual chracter,but it was plausible that many people had this name.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lizabeth77:
anyone have any information for me about him, Non "MUMMY" related?

EM thread

As Ausar said, it was not an uncommon name, but the most famous and revered Imhotep throughout Egyptian history was the one who was associated with Djoser.

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 08 November 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, the Imhotep associated with Djoser became a god in the Ptolemic era. His burial was always considered to be a spot of healing, and later in the civilization the tomb was made into a shrine. Imhotep became associated with the Greek god of healing.
As has been said, the Imhotep of the "Mummy" was only a character in a movie.

[This message has been edited by Osiris II (edited 08 November 2004).]

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from the dubious interpretation of "Imhotep"" into the "prince of peace;"
(His name is actually written Ei_m_hotep:
"Ei" come, go forth, display
"m" in;of
"hotep" satisfaction;peace E.G, "He comes in peace")
this is a fairly accurate assessment of the historical personage with the common name of "Imhotep"
quote:

Imhotep was the royal advisor to King Zoser during the Third Dynasty of Kemet. Regarded as the world's first recorded multi-genius, Imhotep was an architect, astronomer, philosopher, poet and physician. As an architect he was responsible for designing the Step Pyramid and the Saqqara Complex. During his lifetime he was given a host of titles, among them:Chancellor of the King of Lower Kemet, the First after the King of Upper Kemet, High Priest of Heliopolis and Administrator of the Great Palace. As a physician, Imhotep is believed to have been the author of the Edwin Smith Papyrus in which more than 90 anatomical terms and 48 injuries are described. This is well over 2,200 years before the Western Father of Medicine Hippocrates is born. Some 2,000 years after his death, Imhotep was deified by the inhabitants of Kemet and was known later as Asclepius, God of Medicine, to the Greeks. His very name, Im-Hotep, translates as the Prince of Peace. As a philosopher and poet, Imhotep's most remembered phrase is: "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall die."(Photo and Information courtesy of Nile Valley Contributions to Civilization by Anthony Browder)
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Classroom/9912/egypthistory.html

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 08 November 2004).]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizabeth77
Member # 5796

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizabeth77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another question, it sort of relates I guess. Where the egyptians at all interested in raising the dead? I would assume not, because of how important the afterlife was to them, but If they were what would the perposes of that?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
another question, it sort of relates I guess. Where the egyptians at all interested in raising the dead? I would assume not, because of how important the afterlife was to them, but If they were what would the perposes of that?

To the ancient Kemetians ancestor veneration was highly important to them. The deceased lived in both the Field of the Reeds and within the world of the living. The body was comprised of the Ka[double], ba[usually in the form of a bird and lived in tomb], khat, Ren[name. The name was important for existence and people had to recite the name in order for the immortality of Ka, and akhu] The Kemetians wrote Letters to their deceased relatives to communicate with them, or sometimes to ask them favors. Ancient Kemetians were in regular contact with the deceased.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com