EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Old language of Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old language of Egypt
Rasoolpuri
Member # 5866

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rasoolpuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was old language of Egypt?
Posts: 3 | From: JAMPUR ,PUNJAB .PAKISTAN | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dada Afre
Member # 5634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dada Afre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm

I can't say for sure. I want to say it was the Akan language but I need more sources...

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasoolpuri
Member # 5866

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rasoolpuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you sir ,some more detail about Akan language and its script ,period etc

------------------
Love with your mother language

Posts: 3 | From: JAMPUR ,PUNJAB .PAKISTAN | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old language of ancient Egyptian is usually classified by modern linguists as a sub phylum of the Afro-Asiatic language. The language went through various stages of Old,Middle, New and the Final phases which was supposed to be called Coptic. Most linguist have no idea of how ancient Egyptian was vocalized but I believe that the rural people in Upper Egypt could probabaly give some insight to how ancient Egyptian was vocalized.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasoolpuri
Member # 5866

Rate Member
Thank you,Ausar
fatai
Member # 3711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dada Afre:
Hmmmmmm

I can't say for sure. I want to say it was the Akan language but I need more sources...

Out of interest, why would you like to say that it was Akan?

Posts: 18 | From: London, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt_of_oldbc
Member # 5907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egypt_of_oldbc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe the actual language was called mdu ntr, or middle egyptian and the final stage was called Sahidic Coptic
Posts: 3 | From: Virginia beach, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct. The term for ancient Kemetian language was Mdu Ntr. The last phase of mdu ntr was divided into localized dialects of Coptic which Sahidic being one of them. You also had Akhminic,Faiyumic,Boharic etc. Some bold Egyptian linguist have contended the colloquial Arabic spoken in modern Egypt is the last phase of the mdu ntr language.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rasoolpuri:
What was old language of Egypt?

According to Egyptologist EW Budge (and the Ancient Egyptians themselves) the prehistoric "parent" language of the Ancient Egyptian language originated in Central Africa, in the region lying to the east of the Great Lakes.

Glossary of Relevant Terms

Nter *Moudu: "Sacred words" - any book or inscription written in hieroglyphics
Shai Moudu Nter: "Written words of the god **(Thoth)
Moudu Nter "Words of the god **(Thoth)
Moudu ro en Kemet "Words of the mouth of Black" - the spoken language
Ro en Kemet "the Speech of Black" - the Kemetian language

quote:

*Coptic references
--Moute: "to speak"
--M'n't: "speech, word"
--Noute: "God"
--Nter: "god(s)"
--Tnoute: "goddess"

quote:

**Thoth was an ancient Egyptian moon god. He was a patron of civilization and such intellectual arts as writing, astronomy, mathematics, law, magic, and healing. He is most often shown in art with a human body and the head of an ibis bird. He is also portrayed as a dog-headed baboon...
In the creation myth from Memphis, Thoth became the tongue of the creator god Ptah, through whom the world was created.
--Worldbook Encyclopedia

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was that the lang spoken before arabic took its place. When did arabic fully become the egyptian lang?
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:
was that the lang spoken before arabic took its place. When did arabic fully become the egyptian lang?

You see it being written in Wally's post above.

The country was called Km.t or the Black Nation. It's native tongue was called mdw ntr or devine speech, and is sometimes called Kemetian.

This entire family of languages from Chadic to Semitic is found in Africa, and includes Hausa (Nigeria); Imazingh (Berber);Ahmharic-Semitic (Ethiopia) as well as Hebrew, and Arabic which are the only two members of this language family found outside of Africa.

Christopher Ehret is an expert on this language family which he calls Afrasan: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/001035.html

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[B] The old language of ancient Egyptian is usually classified by modern linguists as a sub phylum of the Afro-Asiatic language.
( where did you see this cr-P
Egyptians were the first of civilised human who written a proper language, Sumari of Iraq was another.)

The language went through various stages of Old,Middle, New and the Final phases which was supposed to be called Coptic.
( this is correct, but as somebody who studied Egyptology for four years, I can read, write and translate four ancient languages- we study them at the university)

Most linguist have no idea of how ancient Egyptian was vocalized ( this is no longer true0
but I believe that the rural people in Upper Egypt could probabaly give some insight to how ancient Egyptian was vocalized.
( also northern Egyptians,but sadly we do not teach our kids our true languages at school, something we, Egyptians have to consider )

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
where did you see this cr-P
Egyptians were the first of civilised human who written a proper language, Sumari of Iraq was another.

The Afro-Asiatic classification comes from a linguist named Joseph Greenberg. He rejects the old terminology called Hamitio-Semetic that older linguists classified it because of the racist implications of the Hamitic myth. All Afro-Asiatic languages including Semetic are generally agreed to come from modern day Ethiopia.

quote:

[quote]The language went through various stages of Old,Middle, New and the Final phases which was supposed to be called Coptic.
( this is correct, but as somebody who studied Egyptology for four years, I can read, write and translate four ancient languages- we study them at the university)

Glad to hear you can. I unfortunately cannot read or write Mdu Ntr. Learning the language of Mdu Ntr is the key to understanding ancient Egyptian culture.

quote:

[quote]Most linguist have no idea of how ancient Egyptian was vocalized ( this is no longer true0
but I believe that the rural people in Upper Egypt could probabaly give some insight to how ancient Egyptian was vocalized.
( also northern Egyptians,but sadly we do not teach our kids our true languages at school, something we, Egyptians have to consider )

According to Egyptian scholar Bayoumi Qandil the ancient Egyptian language survives in the colloquial Arabic of the everyday Egyptian. Contrary to Arabists, our culture is not dead,at least the language,so we need to stop thinking it's dead.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com