EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egypt Week LIVE: Nile: Land of the Crocodile & Mummy Autopsy!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt Week LIVE: Nile: Land of the Crocodile & Mummy Autopsy!
EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Did anyone see tonight's continuation of Egypt Week Live? I personally thought tonight's two episodes were much much better, and more realistic!

Nile: Land of the Crocodile

I thought this special was very good, even though at times it seemed like the animal channel. Because of the consistent focus on the crocodile, but then again, that is the title. Also, Talk about a COMPLETE cast of Upper Egyptians, or people who greatly resembled Upper Egyptians. I mean wow, it's too bad more AE Dramatizations can't be more realistic such as the one that aired tonight!

Mummy Autopsy:

This special was most interesting and intriguing to me, because I can't help but wonder who the mummy was? She supposedly had connections to Nubia, and was supposedly a Queen of AE. But the final results seemed inconclusive as to what her identity is. But they did obtain some facts about her, such as she is Female, she was Royalty, she was in her late teens/early twenties. She is from the 17th dynasty, and last, but certainly not least. She has a supposed connection with ancient nubia! I myself am not too familiar with the queens of the 17th dynasty, but the first thought that came to mind was Queen Tiye. But then I remembered Queen Tiye was apart of the 18th dynasty, not the 17th, and I am assuming she was much older then late teens/ early twenties. Also, in the special tonight, they kept referring to how Nubia and Egypt were at war, and how by examining one of her teeth, they would be able to determine weather or not she was Nubian, or Egyptian! And they said that if she was Nubian, it would re-write history! I think both of these statements are false, because for one, wasn't Queen Tiye Nubian herself, or at least of Nubian descent? And Two, threw out Ancient Egypt, the Ancient Egyptians were not constantly at war with Nubia. There were times of peace between the two civilizations, so I guess the question that should be raised is "Were Ancient Nubia, and Ancient Egypt at war with one another during the 17 dynasty?"

Posts: 115 | From: South Bend, Indiana, US | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, how the heck do you tell where a person is from by looking at their teeth!? Sounds like B.S. to me. And that thing they're talking about with the wars between Nubia and Egypt is nothing new. They're indirectly saying that since Nubians and Egyptians fought so much...then they were "different" from each other. But that teeth thing is new to me...after all land is land. So again, how do you tell whether a person is nubian or egyptian by looking at their teeth?
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
First of all, how the heck do you tell where a person is from by looking at their teeth!? Sounds like B.S. to me. And that thing they're talking about with the wars between Nubia and Egypt is nothing new. They're indirectly saying that since Nubians and Egyptians fought so much...then they were "different" from each other. But that teeth thing is new to me...after all land is land. So again, how do you tell whether a person is nubian or egyptian by looking at their teeth?

That is a very good question? They mentioned it during the programme, but I forgot what they said. It will re-air later on tonite so, I will see then what was said, on how they determine where a person is from by examining their teeth.

Posts: 115 | From: South Bend, Indiana, US | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the teeth thing. People in the same family or of the same ethnic origin will have a similar trait or two. It seems possible to determine a person's ancestry by their teeth.
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EGyPT2005:
"Were Ancient Nubia, and Ancient Egypt at war with one another during the 17 dynasty?"

It seems that Kush at Kerma and above was the seat of Kmt's fear of adversarial threat
from the south. And it was from there indeed that by 16th dynasty times Nhsw politcal
intrigue held one third rulership over Egypt. In the words of the ruler at Thebes:

"a chieftain is in Avaris [in the Delta] and another in Kush: I sit united with
an Aamw and a Nhsw, each man in possession of his slice of this Egypt."

The Hyksos and the Nhsw carried on trade via corridors extending clear through middle
and upper Kmt which the Kmtyw were powerless to control much less prevent. Records
from the Buhen fortress spell out that the remaining Kmtyw commanding families there
were servitors to Kerma Nhsw overlords. But Sebekhnakht was able to wrest control
of Wawat out of the hands of Kush which had Wawat, Khentenefer, Medjay and Pwnt
in alliance. By the reign of Thutmose I the position "King's Son of Kush" was created
for the Kmtyw who governed Wawat.

[This message has been edited by alTakruri (edited 08 December 2004).]

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:

It seems that various historians have this deep desire to make Nubia out to be some kind of a clearly distinct nation from that of Kemet, but this isn't how the Egyptians saw it. As far Egyptians were concerned, the Kemetian southern border extended well into the "Nubian" regions, and depending on the particular time frame in question, the extent of this border changed. At specific timeframes, powerful independent Kingdoms also arose in the Upper "Nubian" regions, namely that of the Kushitic and the Meroe. Nonetheless, varying portions of the "Nubian" region at different time frames had always been part of the Kemetian territory. The names of these regions also varied from time to time (believe me, there are a number of them), and weren't necessarily referred to as "Nubia". We've been through this before in this thread:
Confusions about Nubia & Modern Political Border

It is interesting how these inaccuracies of the relationship b/n Kemet & "Nubia" go unchallenged, simply because there are various folks out there, who claim to be informed about the history of the region, just not taking the time to study the matter further.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Calm down! Looking at teeth is not always a matter of determing ethnicity. Although in many cases dentist can tell a certain ethnicity,but most times these studies are determined by diet. The diet of Nubians and Egyptians throughout time was different from each other,so this might be able to determine if the women was from Kerma[Nubia] or from Upper Egypt.

Kent R. Weeks and James E. Harris found that the 17th dyansty and 18th dyansty royal family had close ties to the Medijay people and to Nubians. This is documented in the book X-Raying the Pharaohs and X-Ray Atlas of the Royal mummies.

The following information is not entirely new,for the book The Seventy Mysteries of Ancient Egypt showcases the following find. There is a reconstruction of a Nubian also in this same book.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

If you want to know more about the relationship between Nubia and Egypt read Robert Morkot's The Black Pharaohs. This book covers mainly the 25th dyansty but also covers relationships from the pre-dyanstic down to the 25th dyansty.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Calm down! Looking at teeth is not always a matter of determing ethnicity. Although in many cases dentist can tell a certain ethnicity,but most times these studies are determined by diet. The diet of Nubians and Egyptians throughout time was different from each other,so this might be able to determine if the women was from Kerma[Nubia] or from Upper Egypt.

According to the documentary, the woman had a "Nubian diet." She ate mainly Nubian foods. They would have assumed she was Nubian if not for her teeth...

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
It seems that various historians have this deep desire to make Nubia out to be some kind of a clearly distinct nation from that of Kemet, but this isn't how the Egyptians saw it. As far Egyptians were concerned, the Kemetian southern border extended well into the "Nubian" regions, and depending on the particular time frame in question, the extent of this border changed. At specific timeframes, powerful independent Kingdoms also arose in the Upper "Nubian" regions, namely that of the Kushitic and the Meroe. Nonetheless, varying portions of the "Nubian" region at different time frames had always been part of the Kemetian territory. The names of these regions also varied from time to time (believe me, there are a number of them), and weren't necessarily referred to as "Nubia". We've been through this before in this thread:
[b]Confusions about Nubia & Modern Political Border

It is interesting how these inaccuracies of the relationship b/n Kemet & "Nubia" go unchallenged, simply because there are various folks out there, who claim to be informed about the history of the region, just not taking the time to study the matter further. [/B]

I totally agree with you! You may also notice, especially on television programmes and specials about AE that they rarely mention Nubia! They often mention the surrounding middle eastern kingdoms too the northeast, but rarely, if ever the ones to the South or Southeast. Such as Nubia (Ta Seti), Punt etc. I think I personally may have heard Nubia mentioned once or twice out of all the AE shows I have seen on the Discovery channel, The History channel, TLC etc etc etc. I mean if it wasn't for Books, and the Internet, you would never even know there was a connection between the two civilizations!

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was actually a documentary specifically on Nubia a few months ago that showed on Discovery. I have to agree though, that the documentaries on Egypt give poor descriptions of Nubia but lately these movies haven't been reliable when it comes to facts.
EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
According to the documentary, the woman had a "Nubian diet." She ate mainly Nubian foods. They would have assumed she was Nubian if not for her teeth...

Although she may not have been directly from nubia, she could have been born there, and migrated to Kemet as a young child. Or she could also be of nubian descent, because how else do you explain these connections between nubia and herself? Especially at a particular time when the two countries were at war!

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by EGyPT2005:
Although she may not have been directly from nubia, she could have been born there, and migrated to Kemet as a young child. Or she could also be of nubian descent, because how else do you explain these connections between nubia and herself? Especially at a particular time when the two countries were at war!

Read the topic "Moustafa Gadalla on Kush"

I'm not sure where her mummy was originally found but the Egyptian royal family had spent several years on the border with or in Nubia around the 17th dynasty.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kerma culture have a distinctive beaker type pottery found in the burial. This is the main reason why they suspected the person might be a Nubian.

EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar,

What is your opinion on the Upper Egyptian looking cast they chose to star in these two specials tonight? And was the woman who portrayed the unknown queen in "Mummy Autopsy" a nubian women?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw the documentary nor do I have cable. I think it shows that modern Egyptology is starting to progress in the right direction and correct the years of racist an anti-Egyptian bias that has plagued it from the start.
Keino
unregistered

quote:
On the teeth thing. People in the same family or of the same ethnic origin will have a similar trait or two. It seems possible to determine a person's ancestry by their teeth.

Its not about the likes or how the teeth looks as I am pretty sure there was plenty of crossover and similarities of Nubian and AE even in the 17th centry. Does anyone have a study that examines the skulls and teeth of the Nubians and AE around the 17th dynasty? Tts about the isotope of carbon that then found that is different from place to place, but I don't see how Nubia's would be any different from AE.

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Kent R. Weeks and James E. Harris found that the 17th dyansty and 18th dyansty royal family had close ties to the Medijay people and to Nubians. This is documented in the book X-Raying the Pharaohs and X-Ray Atlas of the Royal mummies.

The following information is not entirely new,for the book The Seventy Mysteries of Ancient Egypt showcases the following find. There is a reconstruction of a Nubian also in this same book.

At first I thought it was about diet as well, but they said that she ate nubian food and wore nubian gold. Its still could mean that they took into consideration the diet whether or not it was MOSTLY Nubian or Mostly AE. Don' know, they probably used several criteria but they show didn't do a good job describing the process of anything.

King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There was actually a documentary specifically on Nubia a few months ago that showed on Discovery. I have to agree though, that the documentaries on Egypt give poor descriptions of Nubia but lately these movies haven't been reliable when it comes to facts.

Isn't that the truth. Look at a movie like The Scorpion King...they casted Memnon as a white man and said he was from the East. Well according to history...Memnon was a Nubian and obviously from the South. You see, they figure not too many people know about the Ancient days (which is often times true) so they can get away with distorting facts.

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com