EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ramses the damned a new movie comming out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramses the damned a new movie comming out
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did any of u here about the new movie, comming out about Ramses, it called Ramses the Damned. I am hoping the depict the AE in the right manner.
http://www.geocities.com/ramsestdamned/rtd.htm
here are some websites
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0328308/

Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:
I am hoping the depict the AE in the right manner.

I doubt it. Read the story. Sounds like another mummy movie:

"Story: The pharoah Ramses drinks the Elixir of Life and is doomed to walk the Earth for eternity. 1000 years after his reign, in which time he finds true love with Cleopatra, he finally falls a sleep only to be woken by an archaeologist in 1914 and brought to England where he attempts to bring Cleopatra back."

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kifaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why has he got to be "Damned". I hate to say it but this evil mummy/pharoah (as well of the evil depictions of other African religions) stuff is borderline racist.

[This message has been edited by kifaru (edited 10 December 2004).]

Posts: 167 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The movie is based off an Anne Rice book. You know the women responsible for the Interview with the Vampire fame. It seems all her books take place or have some connection to ancient Egypt. Another dammed movie such as Queen of the Dammned started Aaliya as the head chracter.

http://www.bibliora.com/P5_0702/html/mummy.html

Not exactly my type of movie. I am not a big Anne Rice fan.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plot line is silly. I doubt this movie will see the light of day unless major changes are made to the story...
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The novel was very popular (as were most of her supernatural thrillers), but has very little to do with any historical facts having to do with Ancient Egypt - I mean, it has Rameses being an eternal creature who takes up during the Ptolomeic era with Cleopatra!

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 11 December 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Why can't Hollyweird make a interesting but serious movie about ancient Egypt? Every film I see with an ancient Egyptian theme are either trahsy horror movies or dumb sandal-sword epics like the Mummy or Scropion King. You don't see the film makers treating ancient Greece like this.

The only serious movie I ever saw on ancient Egypt was a locally produced film in Egypt about the Eloquent Peasent.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

The only serious movie I ever saw on ancient Egypt was a locally produced film in Egypt about the Eloquent Peasent.

There is a very old one called "The Egyptian", based on the historical novel by Mika Waltari.
Although neither the book nor the movie are historically completely accurate, they at least seem to give a better feel to the time, and are based on many historical events, while telling the story of one fictional character.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Oh, before anyone else does so, I will point out that since this film was done in 1954 the actors are indeed really white !
Not just caucasian, but really white!
No, this guy

does not look at all like Akhenaten, but overall, the film had a little more serious approach to daily life in Ancient Egypt.

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 11 December 2004).]

EGyPT2005
Member # 4995

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EGyPT2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why can't Hollyweird make a interesting but serious movie about ancient Egypt? Every film I see with an ancient Egyptian theme are either trahsy horror movies or dumb sandal-sword epics like the Mummy or Scropion King. You don't see the film makers treating ancient Greece like this.

I understand completely what you are saying Ausar! I mean for me personally, I liked "The Mummy" and "The Mummy 2" even though both movies were horrible, inaccurate, representations of the AE's. Also a lot of distorted facts in them as well, and quite a lot of comedy in them too! You are right though, about how they do not portray ancient Greece movies in this way (i.e. Alexander) Which I did see, and even though the new "Alexander" movie got mixed reviews. I really truly liked it, very dramatic, but I will say it could have been better though, if more of his battles would have been included! As for the whole bi-sexual mini controversy, in my opinion was very trivial. You can't distort history, because of the way the world is today, or because of the current political climate. God knows, we all, or most of us on this board. Know what it is like for a specific history to be altered and distorted, because of political and world events that have taken place.

Posts: 115 | From: South Bend, Indiana, US | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ausar, forgive me for going off topic but speaking of movies based on the A.Egyptian theme....I would like to know what you thought of Michael Jackson's mini movie/video called "remember the time"? (sorry, if this was discussed long before i got here)

What was the Egyptian take on this video? Did they like it, or disliked it????

what did the rest of you guys think of it...as far as the portrayal goes?? Was Iman balls on...as the Royal wife of the Pharaoh??

Just curious on your thoughts....

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^So-true! (ausar's quote)
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar brings up a good point, All in ALL any Movie about European civilization is shown as a Civilized entity...Take for example....300...The Spartans were civilized while the Persians whom were for very unclear reasons depicted as a black empire was full of ragheads, freaks, and Xerxes probably one of the greatest kings in history as a 8 foot fagot.

I wish they could make a movie about Egypt showing the Cultural and intellectual apsects rather than the played out Mummy b.s..which in all was not meant to Walk Around and kill people, In actuality the Mummified body was just the home of the predeceased soul....the Egyptians would laugh their asses off if they heard what most people believe mummies were supposed to be...The very idea is absurd....

I mean imagine a Series on Egypt like HBO's Rome...that begins with Menes' extraordinary campaign as he conquers the Lower Delta and brings Lower Egypt under control...Then It could show the Triumphs of Egypt like their Dam Building...the Development of hieroglyphs...the Fist grand usage of stone....

They could show key figures like...Imhotep as he figures out the path to pyramid construction....Ramses...ect.

Hell I would watch it!

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

^^^^^ Randy Couture as Scorpion King? [Confused]

Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Hot chicks!

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kifaru:
Why has he got to be "Damned". I hate to say it but this evil mummy/pharoah (as well of the evil depictions of other African religions) stuff is borderline racist.

How can they be racist when they believe the ancient Egyptians were white?
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Do they actually believe the AE were white? [Wink]
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@anacalypsis
The depiction of the ancient Egyptians in Remeber the Time was a step in the right direction. Still, the video had gaping historical inaccuracies like people being feed to lions and Nefertiti and Rameses existing at the same time. Another step in the right direction was the depiction of ancient Egyptians on the Prince of Egypt despite many looked like Europeans with tans. In my opinion, Iman was spot on as Nefertiti.

Most Egyptians really have no opinion on Michael Jackson's Remeber the Time. Unfortunately, the depiction of the ancient Egyptians does not concern most modern Eyptians save for a few academics. I haven't been able to gage the respone but most likely the opinions from vary from approval to discontent. The latter is due to Egypt's colorism that is rampant in many sectors of the Egyptian public. Overall, I don't feel many would object though.

I believe that some ancient Egyptian stories like The Eloquent Peasant and Tales of Sinuhe would make good big screen adaptations. Using rural modern fellahin and also incorporating the Coptic language the director can add more authenic touches. I can imagine something on the scale of Apocalyto or Passion of the Christ[Yes, I know the former was inaccurate and the later was inaccurate of historical depictions of Christ]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Ausar! Unfortunately the board is being overrun by twisted pyschotic trolls. Can anything be done?
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C. L. Easterwood
Member # 15617

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for C. L. Easterwood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been waiting for this movie and they still haven't made it yet. I don't think they ever will to be honest. I read the book once a year, if not more. Time for a new copy I've read it so many times. This is my more favorite "mummy" books.

quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
The plot line is silly. I doubt this movie will see the light of day unless major changes are made to the story...

I totally disagree. The plot isn't that bad and it's certainly different than most typical mummy stories.

quote:

Because no one is writing them. The research is so massive, not many writers are willing to tackle it anymore. I'd personally love to see someone do a story similar to Rome. It won't be me writing it though. I'll stick to writing the sandal-sword epics. They're fun. Movies are supposed to make you escape from the real world so I guess that's Hollywood's reasoning. They really do need fresh blood in Hollywood. You're right too, they don't treat ancient Greece the same. It's a shame.

quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:
quote:
Originally posted by kifaru:

How can they be racist when they believe the ancient Egyptians were white?
He's "Damned" because he has to live forever, not because he's evil.

I'm not sure why they make the ancient Egyptians white. I'm a bit baffled by it as well. I tend to see the ancient Egyptians as being close to the appearance of modern Bedouins or Nubians. In my Graphic Novel, Khufu will not be caucasian & he won't be a mummy either...until book 2.

quote:
I believe that some ancient Egyptian stories like The Eloquent Peasant and Tales of Sinuhe would make good big screen adaptations. Using rural modern fellahin and also incorporating the Coptic language the director can add more authenic touches. I can imagine something on the scale of Apocalyto or Passion of the Christ[Yes, I know the former was inaccurate and the later was inaccurate of historical depictions of Christ] [/QB]

Now those myths I would be willing to tackle as a writer & actually have plans to do so once Ra's Warrior starts building a good reader base. The Shipwrecked Sailor might also be a good one. I don't think my artist can handle more stories at the moment though.

I guess fans like me will just have to keep wishing Hollywood would put their money where their mouth is.

Lynn

Posts: 14 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Djehuti, I am not here for long nor will I probably be making a grand return to Egyptsearch. I have personal responsibilities that bind most of my time know. Thanks for the welcome,however.

C. L. Easterwood, I am familiar with Anne Rice books on ancient Egypt but I never read them. It would be interesting to know how she sees the ancient Egyptians ethnically. Since I have not read Rameses the Damned I cannot comment on how tight the lot is. The movie will probably never see the light of day considering that Anne Rice is know a born again Christian.

Sword and Sandal epics are not bad except with ancient Egypt there is no balance. For every Mummy movie there should be just as many that are serious in nature. I also feel their is a prejudice and general lack of interest by the populace on non-western ancient civilization. This bias is so intrenched in western civlization it premeates most popular culture. Add to this that ancient Egypt is more associated with non-scientific new age mysticism.(nothing wrong with this but people should beyond this when dealing with Egypt).

Anyway, that is just my opinion on the matter. I will not hold my breathe wishing that hollywood depicts any civlization either historicaly or ethnically accurate.

C. L. Easterwood
Member # 15617

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for C. L. Easterwood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Djehuti, I am not here for long nor will I probably be making a grand return to Egyptsearch. I have personal responsibilities that bind most of my time know. Thanks for the welcome,however.

C. L. Easterwood, I am familiar with Anne Rice books on ancient Egypt but I never read them. It would be interesting to know how she sees the ancient Egyptians ethnically. Since I have not read Rameses the Damned I cannot comment on how tight the lot is. The movie will probably never see the light of day considering that Anne Rice is know a born again Christian.

Sword and Sandal epics are not bad except with ancient Egypt there is no balance. For every Mummy movie there should be just as many that are serious in nature. I also feel their is a prejudice and general lack of interest by the populace on non-western ancient civilization. This bias is so intrenched in western civlization it premeates most popular culture. Add to this that ancient Egypt is more associated with non-scientific new age mysticism.(nothing wrong with this but people should beyond this when dealing with Egypt).

Anyway, that is just my opinion on the matter. I will not hold my breathe wishing that hollywood depicts any civlization either historicaly or ethnically accurate.

I was disappointed that Rice took a sharp u-turn to God and stopped writing "horror" stories. It's great that she found God, but not that she stopped writing stories I enjoy. Although I have to admit, later down the road her stories became muddled in the 'mainstream'.

There definitely seems to be a prejudice and it's sad. But writer's do write for the masses and publishers are afraid of veering from what they know sells. I'd love to see a serious movie done about ancient Egypt. It's an idea to keep in mind when I start working on my next script. I'd like to make my own niche in the market.

Some book recommendations of a less 'fantasy' nature. I recently read Nefertiri & it was a well-written serious story. There's a lack of accuracy of course, but overall it was a good story. River God and the subsequent series by Wilbur Smith are well-written too. There are a handful of good stories out there. I like to be a well-rounded reader.

Ankh! Udja! Seneb!

Posts: 14 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I was never into any of the Anne Rice novels; I always found them rather boring as well as rather homoerotic for my taste, but I really don't understand why turning to God means a cease in writing horror or fantasy novels. I mean look at that J.K. Rowling lady who's supposedly a Church going 'God fearing' woman when she was still writing her Harry Potter series, despite the protest of some Christian groups.

It's also a shame how they made the movie 'Queen of the Damned'. Aaliyah was hot as an ancient Egyptian queen but the script and overall movie was a flop.

What I really want to see made into movies are P.C. Doherty's ancient Egyptian mystery novels like the Amerotke series centered around Hatshepsut's court and the Mahu trilogy centered around Akhenaton's court. Those are some good serious stories about ancient Egypt with a touch of religious mysticism but no fantasy.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C. L. Easterwood
Member # 15617

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I was never into any of the Anne Rice novels; I always found them rather boring as well as rather homoerotic for my taste, but I really don't understand why turning to God means a cease in writing horror or fantasy novels. I mean look at that J.K. Rowling lady who's supposedly a Church going 'God fearing' woman when she was still writing her Harry Potter series, despite the protest of some Christian groups.

It's also a shame how they made the movie 'Queen of the Damned'. Aaliyah was hot as an ancient Egyptian queen but the script and overall movie was a flop.

What I really want to see made into movies are P.C. Doherty's ancient Egyptian mystery novels like the Amerotke series centered around Hatshepsut's court and the Mahu trilogy centered around Akhenaton's court. Those are some good serious stories about ancient Egypt with a touch of religious mysticism but no fantasy.

Her novels were homo-erotic. LoL When Rice turned to God, she stopped writing horror/fantasy and started writing Biblical stories about Jesus instead. Not that there's anything wrong with it, mind you, but it's not my 'cup of tea'. She said in an interview she wasn't going to be returning to the genre.

"Queen of the Damned" was a flop; I actually hated it. However, Aaliyah was a good choice. My husband knew her bodyguard. Sad they died in a plane crash because of overloading the cargo. Her career was quite promising. I was disappointed in all the Rice movies after "Interview" actually. They even managed to screw that story line up. Lots of movies these days are a disappointment to me.

Never heard of "Amerotke" or P.C. Doherty, but thanks to you, I have found a new writer's work to explore. I'll have to get my hands on some of her books.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ P.C. Doherty is a writer of fictional mysteries centered around historical events or peoples. Most of his novels take place in Medieval Europe or Rome, but I've only read a few books dealing with ancient Egypt. Particularly the first few books of the Amertoke series centered around Hatshepsut's court like The Mask of Ra and The Horus Killings.

Definitely Hollywood needs to make these movies. A big change from the usual mummy or sword-and-sandal crap. Not to mention Doherty's ethnic descriptions of the Egyptians is alot more accurate also.

C. L. Easterwood
Member # 15617

Rate Member
I'm sure the stories would adapt beautifully to movie format. Hollywood is probably scared to try anything new. Breaking into Hollywood is a challenge all authors & comic book writers face. Some do it with great success & others fail miserably. It would be great to see a change of venue in the Egyptian "genre" that also more accurately portrays the ancient Kemetic people.

--------------------
Ra's Warrior & the Talismans of Time
An Egyptian fantasy for mature audiences coming soon to Ra's Warrior

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ P.C. Doherty is a writer of fictional mysteries centered around historical events or peoples. Most of his novels take place in Medieval Europe or Rome, but I've only read a few books dealing with ancient Egypt. Particularly the first few books of the Amertoke series centered around Hatshepsut's court like The Mask of Ra and The Horus Killings.

Definitely Hollywood needs to make these movies. A big change from the usual mummy or sword-and-sandal crap. Not to mention Doherty's ethnic descriptions of the Egyptians is alot more accurate also.

I swear, I have one of his books, and it describes Nefertiti as having red hair!
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com