EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Cultural similarities between contemporary Africa explained through Sahara

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cultural similarities between contemporary Africa explained through Sahara
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CERVELLÓ AUTUORI, Joseph, Egypt, Africa and the Ancient World, in:
Proceedings 7th Int. Congress of Egyptologists, 261-272. (fig.).

The traditional contextualisation of Egypt in the 'Mediterranean' or
'Near Eastern' world has been produced by a phenomenon of western
historiography that we can classify as the 'forgotten Africa'.
The
reopening of the African question in Egyptology has proceeded from the
pre- and protohistorians of the Nile Valley and of northern Africa in
general. The inclusion of late prehistoric Egypt in Africa determines
the essentially African nature of many of the central features of
Pharaonic civilisation and explains the many parallels between ancient
Egypt and both the ancient Saharan and modern black civilisations. The
author discusses examples of the iconographic-symbolic parallels
between Saharan rock art and Egyptian art, and the principal cultural
characteristics shared by ancient Egypt and modern black Africa. The
African nature of Egyptian civilisation can be seen most clearly in
the institution of Pharaonic kingship.
M.W.K.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of a pharaoh (king) may have come down the Nile from Nubia to Egypt (and) that would make Nubian civilization the ancestor of Egypt's -
Dr. Bruce Williams, Archaeologist

This is consistent with the primary texts and references to "Nubia" as Ta Khent and 1st nome of "Egypt".

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of their origins AE was a near eastern power from a geopolitical point of view. That simply cannot and will not be changed. Africa has been neglected simply because it is not central to the march of western (modern) civilization. You could look at it as a side show in the march of world history. One of the problems in teaching African history in secondary schools or survey courses is simply one of space. It will be left to the people who are interested in it, much as American Indian history is.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Near East' is a Eurocentric Oxymoron with no place in the current scholarship.

Any History textbook still making reference to the 'near east' in antiquity is outdated should be set aside.

DK World History Atlas Mapping the Human Journey: Revised and Updated, November 2004

Structurally divided as follows:

World History

North America

South America

Africa

Europe

West Asia

South and SouthEast Asia

North and East Asia

Australia and Oceania

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 28 March 2005).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rasol...you are simply an uneducated nut. That is about the best that can be said. The near east has no place in modern scholarship? What kind of half baked, goofball statement is that?
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Regardless of their origins AE was a near eastern power from a geopolitical point of view. That simply cannot and will not be changed. Africa has been neglected simply because it is not central to the march of western (modern) civilization. You could look at it as a side show in the march of world history. One of the problems in teaching African history in secondary schools or survey courses is simply one of space. It will be left to the people who are interested in it, much as American Indian history is.

Depends what time period you consider. Some scholars debate if many areas like Caanan[modern day Palestine/Israel],Byblos,or any other so-called Near Eastern locality are part of the early Egyptian empire.

My reason for posting the following is mainly due to the rise of the ancient Egyptian culture or state. Culturally Egypt had much more in common with Africa than with any Near-Eastern culture. When I say this I mean in terms of divine kingship,ancestor veneration,cattle cults,and other cultural facets.

Compare the underworld concept in Mesopotamia to the ancent Egyptians one and you will get a whole different concept.

African history is not neglected at all but is relativity unknown to the common laymen in America. We are not talking about secondary schools but academic Universities.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

I didn't respond to the Professor because he isn't bright enough to understand what exactly is wrong with references like 'Near East'.

This term is being discarded in the historical discourse.

It is not a proper scholarly reference to antiquity.

It lacks objectivity and specificity.

Near to what?

East of What?

To China, Taiwan would be the 'near east'.

The concept of 'near and middle east' is a recent geopolitical artifice of no relevance to antiquity.

Moreover it is not indigenous to current populations either.

It is therefore both parochial and anachronisitic.

That is why the term is being discarded.

In the DK World History Atlas - "Near East" is not even in the appendix!

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 28 March 2005).]

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
I didn't respond to the Professor because he isn't bright enough to understand what exactly is wrong with references like 'Near East'.

This term is being discarded in the historical discourse.

It is not a proper scholarly reference to antiquity.

It lacks objectivity and specificity.

Near to what?

East of What?

Kind of reminds me how he continues to fumble with what "Western" civilization means, and how on the green earth, the Greeks (who didn't want to identify with northern Europeans) are part of this.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 29 March 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
Regardless of their origins AE was a near eastern power from a geopolitical point of view. That simply cannot and will not be changed.

Thought Writes:

The term "Near East" is a geographic term, not a cultural term. Culturally Ancient Egypt is rooted in the Sahara and East Africa, most Egyptologist now recognize this.

You still have not defined for us what YOU mean when you use the term "Western Civilization", nor have you indicated what event spawned this entity? It is common for trolls to avoid defining their terms.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Thought, you know what western civilization is, lets cut the little silly games. You also know that AE was a near eastern power in terms of its geopolitical position. Its time to grow up and develop a mature approach to scholarship. i would rather be a troll than a wild eyed, racist, radical goofball.
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{Thought, you know what western civilization is}

Thought Writes:

WRONG, I know what **I** mean when I use the term "Western Civiilization". If you are not a **troll** and have a clear understanding of your use of the term why not share it with us?

{lets cut the little silly games}

Thought Writes:

I agree, so define your terms and tell us **specifically** when "Western Civilization" began.

{You also know that AE was a near eastern power in terms of its geopolitical position}

Thought Writes:

It was also a African and Aegean power in terms of its geopolitical position. The Near East is a region. The **culture** of Egypt (the topic of this thread sir) is indigenous African.

{Its time to grow up and develop a mature approach to scholarship}

Thought Writes:

I agree, which is why we are attempting to encourage you to do scholarly things like define ones terms and quote credible sources.

{i would rather be a troll than a wild eyed, racist, radical goofball}

Thought Writes:

If your goal is to be a troll, you sir are succeeding. And I agree, Evil E is a wild eyed, racist, radical goofball. Let's work together to stop this!

[This message has been edited by Thought2 (edited 29 March 2005).]

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
what makes Evil Europe more wild eyed than you? Based on what i have read over the months you are out on the far extreme in terms of scholarship. The level of African influence on AE is irrelevant. AE is not an African nation in terms of its geopolitical position.
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
{what makes Evil Europe more wild eyed than you?}

Thought Writes:

I am not wild-eyed at all. But do you **really** buys Evil E's theory that stone-age East Africa was populated by White people? I mean get real!!!!

{Based on what i have read over the months you are out on the far extreme in terms of scholarship}

Thought Writes:

Do you have ANY specific examples or is this a ruse to deflect attention away from the fact that you exhibit the traits of a troller? If you do have **specific** examples please state them and provide the references to the "scholarship" that refutes my position. Thanks.

{The level of African influence on AE is irrelevant}

Thought Writes:

Personal opinion, irrelevant.

{AE is not an African nation in terms of its geopolitical position}

Thought Writes:

Please tell us specifically why AE was not African in a geopolitical sense?

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Thought, His theory on East africa is no more goofy than the nonsense you put out about Greece and Egypt. I use some of your posts to get laughs at parties....did it this weekend in fact. I had the entire room in stiches.
The egyptian empire spread all the way to modern iraq at times. They were continually engaged in near eastern politics. Nubia simply was not important in an historical sense.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
{Thought, His theory on East africa is no more goofy than the nonsense you put out about Greece and Egypt.}

Thought Writes:

Please give me SPECIFICS when you state that any of my positions are "goofy". Don't hide behind vague references.

{The egyptian empire spread all the way to modern iraq at times. They were continually engaged in near eastern politics. Nubia simply was not important in an historical sense.}

Thought Writes:

So your saying that AE was a part of the Near East becuase they engaged in empire building all the way to Iraq? Are you saying that they did not do the same all the way to Upper Nubia? Also please tell me specifically why Iraq was more important to AE than "Nubia"? Thanks.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
I just did....Egyptian interaction with near eastern nations were more important than those in Nubia. Lets me make it simple thought. What is more important, American interactions with Mexico or with Europe?
Nubia was not nearly as important as the near east.

BigMix
Member # 6969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigMix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just did....Egyptian interaction with near eastern nations were more important than those in Nubia. Lets me make it simple thought. What is more important, American interactions with Mexico or with Europe?

man, that is a grossly biased assumption. Isn't gold found to the south of Egypt? lemme guess Egyptians didn't like gold.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
The lack of basic historical knowledge on this board is astounding. BigMix....are you saying that Nubia is as important on the historical world stage as the near eastern powers? Are you really saying that? I sure hope not.
Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Horemheb is playing the fool. Why would AE be overly concerned with the region of Nubia when it was naturally a part of Ancient Egypt? Its like saying that the US is more concerned and has more geopolitical affiliation with Iraq than North Dekota...Think about this seriously! What are the investments and benefit for the US in Iraq? Why would they overly focus on North Dekota when they naturally have the region as a part of the US? If North Dekota were to try and get independence then there will be more focus on that region of the US and possibly a civil war. I think the region of Nubia needs to be viewed this way and the possibilities exhausted this way first since they all make up the Nile vally civilization.

Dumbo is also intentionally glossing over the fact that relationships changed from time to time.

Posts: 318 | From: PA. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Keins...because you would LIKE to see Nubia as an appendage of AE does not make it so....it was not. My point still stands....basic world history, AE is a near eastern power.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keins:
Horemheb is playing the fool.

Trust me, he isn't pretending...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I just did....Egyptian interaction with near eastern nations were more important than those in Nubia.

How so?

quote:
Horemheb:

Lets me make it simple thought. What is more important, American interactions with Mexico or with Europe?

How does American politics relate to those harbored by the Kemetians in antiquity?

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Jesus H Christ.....The most important international relations are those with (1) the nations with most historical importance (2) those with the most powerful nations.
based on what I am hearing here the UK would have a more imortant relationship with Norway than with the United States.

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Jesus H Christ.....The most important international relations are those with (1) the nations with most historical importance (2) those with the most powerful nations.
based on what I am hearing here the UK would have a more imortant relationship with Norway than with the United States.

Still waiting for 'coherent' and 'relevant' answers to the mountain of 'unanswered' questions you were asked. Time isn't on our side.

rasol
Member # 4592

I'm only going to tell you this once Professor, then you can go back to doing what it is that you do; which I won't describe in detail because it might sound rude.

You need to stop projecting contemporary American Geopolitics on to Nile Valley civilisation. [or any other ancient civilisation for that matter]

You need to make a study of Nile Valley Civilisation in it's own right and in detail.

I again suggest: The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt, just as a starting point.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
I know that the use of 'examples' is difficult for you to grasp rasol. Keep trying, there is hope even for totally flat brain waves.
rasol
Member # 4592

See... flawed analogy, then please read the recommended text. Thank you.
BigMix
Member # 6969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigMix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The lack of basic historical knowledge on this board is astounding. BigMix....are you saying that Nubia is as important on the historical world stage as the near eastern powers?

I confess I am a johnny come lately to this topic, but from what I have read in reference to the trade from central Africa, Nubia was very important to the Egyptians.

Its weak how you changed your assumption from Nubia not being important to Egypt, to Nubia not being important on the world stage as near eastern powers.

Heck, go ask Schenacerib, who had to face Taharqa's forces. Its a subjective question at best.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
The lack of basic historical knowledge on this board is astounding. BigMix....are you saying that Nubia is as important on the historical world stage as the near eastern powers?

Thought Writes:

Note that Horemheb is comparing "Nubia" (a part of AE) to the Near East which encompasses a number of different nations. Apples to Oranges. But the real issue is that we need to have Horemheb define his criteria for importance in ancient historical relationships.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
Thought Writes:

Note that Horemheb is comparing "Nubia" (a part of AE) to the Near East which encompasses a number of different nations. Apples to Oranges. But the real issue is that we need to have Horemheb define he's criteria for importance in ancient historical relationships.

Like Evil, it doesn't look promising that Horemheb knows what he's talking about, and hence the last thing to expect him to do, is to be able to define the terms he use. All it takes, is to look at the thread, i.e., the number of unanswered questions that follow up on his fantastic remarks.

Look at what Evil has become; all he now has at his disposal is, irrelevant picture spamming and posting links to discussions that clearly show how many times he's been proven wrong. I would be surprised if Horemheb fairs any better.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 29 March 2005).]

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
^

[This message has been edited by Thought2 (edited 29 March 2005).]

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Thought Posts:

Ancient Egypt In Africa
Edited by David O'Connor and Andrew Reid

The African Foundations of Ancient Egyptian Civilization
By David Wengrow

"The integration of animals into mortuary rites - which was to become a lasting feature of ancient Egyptian and Sudanese culture - provides powerful testimony that, as in other parts of the Old World, the inception of a neolithic economy in the Nile Valley was experienced through both objective and subjective processes of transfromation....Sherratt has coined the term "primary horticultural community" to describe the outcome of this process in South West Asia and temperate Europe, where early neolithic soceities defined themselves, and their relations with the outside world, in terms of an ideal pattern of co-residence, embracing both living and the dead within the physical community of house and village. The term "primary pastoral community" might be introduced in order to highlight the distinct character of early neolithic society in the Nile Valley, with its distinct configuration of herding, mobility, mortuary rites and the body as frameworks of social experience and reproduction. Just as the social morphology of early farming communities in Egypt and the Sudan was generated outside the physical confines of a constructed environment, so the cultural idiom in which they defined their changing relationships with the non-human world is best characterized , not in terms of 'domestication', but as a process of embodiment."

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Thought Posts:

Ancient Egypt In Africa

The Unity of Africa
By Michael Rowlands

"I would suggest, therefore that embodied societies are linked to elementary systems where bodies as containers of substances - regenerative, reproductive and life sustaining - are more directly implicated both as the 'raw material' out of which social order is wrought and potentially as a source of danger to it.....One could argue that Pharoah is ritually treated as a unique shaped container, who attractes powers relevant to life, productivity and order from the divine world and transmits them to his subjects. In this he is analogous to the creator god, whose bodily emissions (tears, saliva, semen, blood, air and light) are invloved in the cosmogony, and the subsequent process of maintaining cosmic order. (O'Connor, pers. comm 2002)."

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Andrew B. Smith
A prehistory of modern Saharan pastoralists

ABSTRACT
Using archaeological and ethnographic data, this paper suggests that the ancestors of many modern Saharan pastoral groups, e.g. Tuareg, Toubou, Beja, may have had connections during the mid- to late-Holocene. Deep-meaning, exemplified by rock art and funerary monuments in the past, and pre-Islamic religious beliefs in the present, offer clues to a possible common heritage. It is further suggested that prehistoric Saharan herders may have been cultural innovators, and ideas spread from the Sahara to the Nile Valley and the Maghreb.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
[B]Thought Posts:

Ancient Egypt In Africa

The Unity of Africa
By Michael Rowlands

"...One could argue that Pharoah is ritually treated as a unique shaped container, who attractes powers relevant to life, productivity and order from the divine world and transmits them to his subjects. In this he is analogous to the creator god, whose bodily emissions (tears, saliva, semen, blood, air and light) are invloved in the cosmogony, and the subsequent process of maintaining cosmic order. (O'Connor, pers. comm 2002)."

...essentially an intermediary between the Supreme being and the commoner(s).

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
...essentially an intermediary between the Supreme being and the commoner(s).

Thought Writes:

I am not certain that the divine King in Africa is seen as an intermediary. I imagine that the divine king is more of an example or paragon than intermediary between the people and the divine intelligence. In my mind the crook and flail are emblems of justice/Maat.

I have allways pondered the relationship between divinde Kingship in kemet and the development of the Pope and his position as Vicar within the Christian church. Anyway, that is another topic.....

[This message has been edited by Thought2 (edited 30 March 2005).]

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Do you know as much about the 'divine king' in Africa as you do about European history?
We can't wait to hear more.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

I am not certain that the divine King in Africa is seen as an intermediary. I imagine that the divine king is more of an example or paragon than intermediary between the people and the divine intelligence. In my mind the crook and flail are emblems of justice/Maat.

I concur that divine King is seen to have qualities that are god-like; but not necessarily the Supreme being. In other words, a manifestation of the Supreme one.

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Do you know as much about the 'divine king' in Africa as you do about European history?
We can't wait to hear more.

Thought Writes:

Yawn.... more non-specific accusations by the old troller.

zulu ra zuri
Member # 7122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zulu ra zuri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar,
Do you or anyone in the forum know of any archealogical digs ocurring in Uganda. I know that the AE mention that they came from the south in a place called the Mountain of the Moon. If so, that would be at the source of the Nile in Uganda. The mountain is Kilamenjaro. Can anyone ellaborate more on this?

Posts: 104 | From: santa barbara, california usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zulu, I am not familar with any digs currently in Uganda. I am aware of other digs occuring around parts of the Sahara that are directly linked to that of the ancient Egyptians.

I believe the quote about the Mountains of the Moon comes from the Papyrus of Hunefer. The following document has come into question by many scholars. I cannot vouch for its authencity except I believe it came from EA Wallis Budge.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Thought....Looks like our GED program didn't teach you much. Might try some regular classes if your brain is not to pickled with racist political baloney.
kembu
Member # 5212

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kembu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thought Writes:

Yawn.... more non-specific accusations by the old troller.

Then please scroll past the troll to posts that make sense. Makes sense?

Posts: 145 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akida
Member # 7174

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man!! I've been waiting for a site like this for some time. Thank God.

Are you all Black?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A common tactic Eurocentrics use to tie Egypt with the Near-East and cut all ties from Africa, is by emphasizing Egypt’s foreign relations with the Near-East while downplaying those with its African neighbors!
Anyway, as I’ve said before, it’s really ironic that despite comparatively little influence from the Near-East, Eurocentrics still take it for granted as being Near-Eastern yet despite Greece having much influence from the Near-East it is taken for granted as being European!

Horemheb says:

quote:
The level of African influence on AE is irrelevant. AE is not an African nation in terms of its geopolitical position.

So I suppose the significant level of Near-Eastern influence on the formation of early civilization in Greece is also irrelevant? Also, what do you mean by geopolitical position? As geography is concerned, Egypt being on the northeastern corner of Africa puts it in close proximity to the Near-East, but it still on the African continent. Greece, being on the southeastern corner of Europe also puts in close proximity to the Near-East! Besides, today’s very designation of the “Middle-East” is a modern and very recent geopolitical concept that was established by the West. As politics is concerned, the primary reason why modern Egypt was included as part of the Middle-East was because of its both political and cultural domination by Arabs. So really your concepts of geopolitics are what’s irrelevant!

Horemheb says:

quote:
The Egyptian empire spread all the way to modern Iraq at times. They were continually engaged in near eastern politics. Nubia simply was not important in an historical sense.

Egypt became an empire that stretched to Iraq during the New Kingdom period, so! As Thought says, during the same period, Egypt stretched all the way to Upper Nubia! Exactly how was Nubia unimportant in the historical sense, anyway?! Nubia is one of the earliest civilizations in the world. Nubia was born in the Nile Valley along with her sister, Egypt, together they share common cultural foundations. I have no doubt you think Nubia is unimportant because its peoples were black! LOL

Horemheb says:

quote:
....Egyptian interaction with near eastern nations were more important than those in Nubia. Lets me make it simple thought. What is more important, American interactions with Mexico or with Europe?

LMFO Just Explain why interaction with Nubia was somehow less important than those nations of the Near-East or any other nations at time!! It’s just silly of you to compare international relations today with those of ancient times! Today we live in a global economy, I doubt societies back in ancient times had that kind of luxury! Societies during those times usually had contacts with neighboring societies, that is peoples much closer to them. Since there were no airplanes back then, and sailing wasn’t as prevalent or technologically easy as it today, geographic factors had to be taken into account.

Egypt is connected to the Near-East, or the Levant proper, by the Sinai Peninsula. But for most of its history, the deserts of Sinai have pretty much kept Egypt isolated from the Near-East. It was a heck of a lot easier for the Egyptians maintain relations with their more immediate neighbors. As you know the Egyptians lived along the Nile Valley, but there other peoples in adjacent areas that surrounded them. It were these peoples whom the Egyptians had economic ties with way long before their ties with the Near-East.

It is the same with peoples of the Near-East, where the ancient Sumerians had much greater contact and closer ties with the Elamite people to their immediate east in Iran, long before they contacts with Egypt hundreds of miles away. Speaking of the Elamites, it seems that they have much in common with the Nubians. Although they weren’t African, the Elamites were a black people, not only that, but apparently they and their civilization, Susa, were never really historically famous. For a long time, it was thought that their civilization was derived from Sumer, because of certain influences. But scholars now know that despite influences, Elamite society developed independently. Before they adopted the Cuneiform script, they already had one of their own that was pictographic. The Elamites had interactions with both Sumerians to their west and the Indus people to their east, thus serving as a ‘middle-man’ in trade between the Near-East and India. Unfortunately, again, Susa was not really popular among scholarly circles which were more interested in its neighbor Sumer. Going by your definitions, this must mean that Susa was not historically relevant, of course you are WRONG!!

Getting back to Egypt, Egypt’s oldest and most important trading partner was Nubia. But besides the various Nubian peoples to the south, there were other peoples like the Medjay who lived in the areas east of the Nile Valley, and there were early Libyans like the Tjemehu that lived to the west of the Nile Valley. All of these people were Africans as were the Egyptians, so they no doubt had much in common anyway. Despite your claims, there was also much to benefit from these relations economically. Many of Egypt’s African neighbors possessed resources that were valuable to the Egyptians, especially Nubia! Many valuable products were sought from Nubia by the Egyptians. Goods like, gold, precious stones, all kinds of wood like mahogany and ebony, ostrich feathers, monkeys, incense, and leopard skins which were worn by the Egyptian priesthood (an African custom) all come from Nubia. The Egyptians traded with many kingdoms and chiefdoms in the Nubian territory and beyond. The Land of Punt further south somewhere in the Horn of Africa was also favored by the Egyptians economically as well as religiously. The Egyptians traveled to all these places on foot along with donkeys, or navigating the Nile on their boats. The earliest known contact with the Near-East began during the Old Kingdom and later increased during the Hyksos invasion. It later became full blown when Egypt became an empire that lashed out at the Near-East to prevent any more invasions by ‘Aamu’ or Asiatics.

Horemheb says:

quote:
The lack of basic historical knowledge on this board is astounding. BigMix....are you saying that Nubia is as important on the historical world stage as the near eastern powers? Are you really saying that? I sure hope not.

ROTFL You are the one that has a lack of basic historical knowledge on this board!!!
You apparently don’t know this so I’ll tell you. During Egypt’s imperial rule, most of the wealth of the vassal states conquered by Egypt and other nations in the Near-East, as well as other nations in the eastern Mediterranean, like Anatolia and Greece, all came from Egypt’s gold market, which is ultimately derived from Nubia!! There was a really good program on PBS a while back called Egypt’s Golden Empire. Many experts and Egyptologists were featured in it, including Hawass, and they all agreed about Nubia’s highly significant role. I suggest you should check it out sometime. Although gold was the primary commodity, there were other “exotic” products from Nubia that many of the ancient nations of the Near-East and the Mediterranean wanted! In other words, Nubia pretty much funded not only Egypt’s economy but those of all the other nations and powers of that time! Besides the fact that Nubia at that time was under Egyptian rule, again the problem was geography, since Egypt was closer to the Near-East they had the economic advantage of being the “middle-man” so to speak and gets to export African goods while importing Near-Eastern goods. In the past, scholars called Nubia the “Gateway to Africa” when in fact it is more accurate to say that Egypt was!
quote:
Keins...because you would LIKE to see Nubia as an appendage of AE does not make it so....it was not. My point still stands....basic world history, AE is a near eastern power.

Nubia wasn’t so much an appendage to Egypt as it was a valued but sometimes hostile sister. The same could be said concerning ancient Greece and its foreign relations. I remember you referring to the book by Thomas Cahill, Sailing the Wine Dark Sea. The ancient Greeks were master seafarers of that time. They sailed all over the sea, not just in the Aegean and the eastern Mediterranean, but all throughout the Mediterranean Basin even as far west as Spain, making contact with peoples all around the basin. What about before? Not surprisingly, the foreign peoples whom the peoples of Greece had the most contact with were other Balkan peoples to the north. The earliest inhabitants of Greece had ties to other Balkan people. It was until the late Neolithic to the early Bronze Age, that people from Asia Minor began to migrate and settle along the Greek islands and eventually the peninsula itself. These settlers brought agriculture as well as their Near-Eastern cultures. This period was when Greece began to have more relations with the Near-East, culturally as well as economically. Regarding all this, Greece should be considered a Near-Eastern power more so than Egypt, so why do not call it as such and keep referring to it as European? The fact is even after, Greece became a seafaring economy, it still kept contact with its neighbors to the north like the Thracians, Illyrians, and especially the Macedonians. What’s funny is that scholars put more emphasis on Macedonia than Nubia because in much later times it became the first true nation in Europe and because of Alexander the Great, but before that, they and the other peoples of the northern Balkans were non-urban tribal peoples, who considered “wild” and untrustworthy by the Greeks. The Greeks had better trust in other ‘civilized’ nations like in the Near-East and Africa.

quote:

Again, you can’t compare modern day global economic nations of today with nations of ancient times. The UK also has more important relationship with Japan than with Ukraine, but I think things would have been a lot different back then! Exactly how do you consider a nation as being ‘historically important’?!! It seems your considerations are quite different from those peoples of ancient times as well as many of today’s scholars. As I’ve shown Nubia was very important historically and they must have been pretty powerful for Egypt to consider it a threat and then conquer it. Have you also forgotten about the 25th dynasty, when Nubians ruled Egypt as well the Near-East?

Horemheb, I suggest you educate yourself more on these matters of ancient societies and their economies before you say anything about it!

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 07 April 2005).]

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Djehuti, Those were examples, sorry you missed the point.
HERU
Member # 6085

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for HERU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Djehuti, Those were examples, sorry you missed the point.

Horemheb, how does it feel to be consistently destroyed by the regulars here? I'm beginning to think you're a glutton for ridicule.

Djehuti, excellent post.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Dujhuti, Nobody is destroyed by these regulars. Actually, we could change the name of the board to 'The Comedy Workshop.'
Roy_2k5
Member # 6397

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy_2k5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akida:
Man!! I've been waiting for a site like this for some time. Thank God.

Are you all Black?

No.

Surprising? Maybe the reason why many have such views is because it is fact rather than racist gibberish.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com