EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Climate of AE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Climate of AE?
trexmaster
Member # 4812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trexmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have read somewhere that the Sahara area was pretty grassy and savannah-like from the end of the Ice Age until around 1,500 BC/BCE. What I find interesting is that, according to one of my books on Ancient Egypt, the age of building pyramids ended around 2,150 BC/BCE. Apparently, the Sahara wasn't a desert until well after the last pyramid was built!

It seems to me that the popular depiction of the pyramids being built under a scorching desert sun in a beige landscape is inaccurate, and that the terrain of the time was grassy like the Serengeti today rather than arid.

Another thing I want to know is what the Nile Delta was like around this time. I know that it's fairly green today compared to the Sahara Desert, so I suspect that it was possibly a humid jungle in Old Kingdom times. Am I correct?

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/001735.html
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trexmaster
Member # 4812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trexmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So am I wrong?

EDIT: This was my source

[This message has been edited by trexmaster (edited 17 April 2005).]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your idea about the sahara being wet
is correct. You seem have the dates and timing a bit confused is all.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trexmaster
Member # 4812

Rate Member
I'm not sure about that...some Old Kingdom reliefs do depict plants and animals that require wetter conditions than Egypt currently provides, and the Sphinx shows signs of erosion by rain (source). True, the rainfall in Old Kingdom Egypt may not have been the heavy, frequent kind you get in a jungle, but it does appear that O.K. Egyptians probably did not see modern-like extremely arid desert until the end of the Old Kingdom.

EDIT: Some corrections made.

[This message has been edited by trexmaster (edited 19 April 2005).]

trexmaster
Member # 4812

Rate Member
Oops, I have read that the Sphinx was probably built in pre-Pharaonic times, not in the Old Kingdom.

Still, as mentioned in my earlier post, evidence for a wetter-than-present dynastic Egypt seems to exist (or am I reading bad sources? Can rasol or ausar help me out on this if I am?).

[This message has been edited by trexmaster (edited 19 April 2005).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geologist/Egyptologist like Fekri Hassan believe that the drying Sahara was one of the contributing factors of the end of the Old Kingdom. Around the 6-8th dyansties it appears that large tracts of the Sahara began to dry,and this is about 4,000 years ago. The Kharga Oasis area and other oasis in Egypt show wild fauna and animals that is usually found in savanna like areas like the Kenyan plains.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com