EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The movie premiered, now I'm back-k-k-k--k-k-k...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The movie premiered, now I'm back-k-k-k--k-k-k...
theborg
Member # 5196

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for theborg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least for a week or two before the next film. Now that Discovery Channel's first movie "Super Volcano" (co-produced with the BBC)is out of the way, and it was a great success, I finally had a chance to visit this Middle East news site, and behold, who do I see looking back at me? Nefertiti from my film "Nefertiti: Resurrected". So this is now the accepted image of Nefertiti in Africa and the Middle East? Fascinating. I guess her obvious African appearance only managed to upset the usual suspects and their spawn. It seems this article (about the proposed movie about Nef & Moses), came out of a Cairo newspaper. Interesting. It seems as though there is more of an acceptance of ancient Egypt's African past, than some people are comfortable with. Oh well, here's the site if others are interested:
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/culture/

By the way, the High Definition version of "Super Volcano" airs May 8, on Discovery HD. Cheers!

Posts: 35 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I know. Things are slowly changing in the media when it comes to black people and Ancient Egypt.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When dealing with scientific construction of history, TV is quite a powerful tool that seems to reach a wider audience than various other media. For the most part, TV programs reach both the schooled and the unschooled, much like the radio stations. Unfortunately, this also makes TV a very much desired tool of propaganda. We've become accustomed to the creation of controversy around anything that challenges Eurocentric constructions, and almost all the time, positive images of black folks seem to fall into that category. Had that Nefertiti image turned out to look like some Asiatic-looking person, it is likely that those, who questioned its identity, would have been rather complicit about the turn of events, and even treat it with much hype.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
Yea, I know. Things are slowly changing in the media when it comes to black people and Ancient Egypt.

Lest we miss the point completely...
These changes, slow as they are indeed, are slow because they are reluctant changes; and are brought about through the efforts and dedication of the dreaded "Afrocentrics" such as WEB DuBois, CA Diop, Theophile Obenga, et al. and of their works leading to the education of all peoples in general, and of Black peoples in particular...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may surprise some people, but the feeling I got while in Egypt was that that modern Egyptians consider the ancient Egyptians to be black. I was told this by a few people, even some who looked Arabic to me.

My tour guide in Cairo would pass for white in America and she told me that they were black. In fact, she said it as if I would be surprised, or if it were something that I didn't know.

I didn't even hear anything negative from Zahi Hawass about the Nefertiti reconstruction. I think the only people bothered by it was Horemheb, Evil E and crew. The rest of the world may seriously be moving forward.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com