EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Tut's coming to US; Should African Americans have to pay? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tut's coming to US; Should African Americans have to pay?
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
Generally I agree, but sometimes when distracters start making ignorant statements (I tend to put a child on higher pedestal), this may be the opportunity to inform others, who simply may not be as familiar with the issues put forth, or else, may be getting a tiny picture of a much larger one from questionable sources!

I'm also guilty of falling into the same trap. It's a general tendency to underestimate the level of knowledge of those who may be influenced by these morons. I have to constantly remind myself that the level of intelligence of the majority who read this forum, thank you very much, is high enough that we don't have to worry about the nonsensical stuff from fake "professors", "authentic native Egyptians", and the rest of the brain damaged who chime in here from time to time.
-- There are plenty of smart folks here and they are comfortably in the majority...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
I'm also guilty of falling into the same trap. It's a general tendency to underestimate the level of knowledge of those who may be influenced by these morons. I have to constantly remind myself that the level of intelligence of the majority who read this forum, thank you very much, is high enough that we don't have to worry about the nonsensical stuff from fake "professors", "authentic native Egyptians", and the rest of the brain damaged who chime in here from time to time.
-- There are plenty of smart folks here and they are comfortably in the majority...

I agree that the majority are in the know how, and are not to be underestimated. But my point was more along the lines, that people have different levels of knowledge on different subjects/topics. There may be a few, who might not be seeing the big picture, with respect to a particular topic, which doesn't necessarily mean that they exhibit the same level of knowledge in each and every topic or subject.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anacalypsis:
Wally, I agree with Supercar that the monies collected need to go towards the operation of providing the exhibits. But on the other hand, when I studied Buddhism in Cambodia I had a chance to visit the beautiful ruins of Angkor Wat I had to pay a price for admission. The admission fee only applied to foreigners, which meant that admission was free for the indigenous people (not all Asians).

I did not have a problem with that.

Aahhh...
Then you also wouldn't have a problem with:
--a Lakota Sioux being admitted free to a Lakota Sioux cultural exhibit, or
--a European Jew being admitted free to a Holocaust exhibit, or
--an African American being admitted free to the slave quarters on Goree Island

Hmmm??

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
I agree that the majority are in the know how, and are not to be underestimated. But my point was more along the lines, that people have different levels of knowledge on different subjects/topics. There may be a few, who might not be seeing the big picture, with respect to a particular topic, which doesn't necessarily mean that they exhibit the same level of knowledge in each and every topic or subject.

Yeah, yeah, sure

I'll tell you what I once told rasol about himself - You just like to kick butt!!

..please continue to do so..

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
Yeah, yeah, sure

I'll tell you what I once told rasol about himself - You just like to kick butt!!

...when the opportunity presents itself, but seriously, just to elaborate on my earlier point; how many people were aware of the official Ghanaian policy towards African-Americans, in America? I am sure, there were silent members, who probably knew about it, but who is to be certain that a mojority knew about it? Issues dealing with Africa in particular, need to be emphasized in their true context, because it is safe to say that from media in the so-called west, one only gets a very minute picture of Africans, and usually negative ones. In the U.S. for instance, a large number of people get their news from network news channels, which a lot of times, are handled by big corporations behind the scenes; needless to say, these sources are suspect. So what might seem obvious to some, who utilize diverse means of obtaining information, might not seem so obvious to others, who don't.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swam
Member # 5321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

true, we learn about advantages/disadvantages.
Dilemma,

See the topic hit me as my ex is born in Liberia and had great grandparents sent back from the US & lives now in the US, i am European mixed , my children are born in the US.
One of them is white with blue eyes, African features, the other, chocolate with nearly black eyes and finer features.
African, American from birth place, and European. Do they pay?
They are not the only ones

Compare populations standards of life, I mean the average, with our own. Not everybody has a car, a TV, so we should gladly pay.

Tut’s Exhibition will help build a new museum in Egypt, and maybe more. When one sees goods in the Cairo museum and the number of objects exposed in a fairly reduced space and pilled in the back rooms & cellar, one realizes Egypt desperately needs to build a new place, where to keep witnesses of the past in good condition.. The Tut exhibition came last year to Basel & Geneva.
( btw, Liberia is another example, people brought to America and much later sent back to Liberia were not considered the same. Often, they were the richest, had studied, experimented "cilization", so these people are part of the leading class, during coup d’états, they are the first to be beheaded, Liberia is still not a safe place)
Another comparison in my mind I did not dare post, because of the stir I created once and, because it is not exactly the same, is the money paid by the Israeli government to returning Jews. Though many are second or third generation and are French, Russian, English, Polish and so on,
I think locals should pay less, for example I am glad tourists pay more to visit museums in Egypt then Egyptians.

The white notoriety. Toubab, oustaz, etc…., we "cilvilized" have a background of standards above “local” average, the means, the basic studies, the experience of “civilization”. Compare rich black with rich white on the planet, who is holding what and so on. The poorest Indians? Dark or light?
Sadly, it’s often so, the lighter the higher. I wonder about Oprah’s nick in Africa?

The GNP's and other data’s on sites like UNICEF for example, are relevant imo of the differences between nations,
enjoy the exhibition.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swam
Member # 5321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i forgot to add, in Egypt, African Americans pay the tourist price in museums temples tombs pyramids .... though it may be different when travelling with groups
Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by swam:
i forgot to add, in Egypt, African Americans pay the tourist price in museums temples tombs pyramids .... though it may be different when travelling with groups

A friend of mine, artiste, African American, after receiving a nice commission on his work, took off alone and headed through Europe with Egypt being his intended destination. Arriving in Egypt, and being an artist, he wanted to mainly meet the people. He had little time or interest in museums. He arrived late to the Valley of the Kings one day on his motorcycle and it was closed, so on his way back he asked some locals for directions to the nearest lodgings. They absolutely refused to allow him to pay for lodgings but insisted that he stay overnight with them, treating him not as a foreigner but as an "Egyptian" in need of assistance. They made it clear to him that this was the reason for their doing this -- as far as they were concerned, he was Masri.

-- How many times have we heard such stories from African Americans visiting Africa...

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 27 April 2005).]

neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is so silly. If Egyptian Americans have to pay to see the Tut exhibit why shouldn't black Americans?
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nooralhaq:

Well honey believe me it deffinitely isn't New Jersey. Don't worry, I don't take it personally. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, including yours truly~
Take care.

New Jersey???? Actually, NJ is a good example of what I've said... After 9/11 MANY muslims as well as hindus were being brutally beaten by senseless bigots! If you didn't know that then I don't know what to tell you.. Go to any of the universities, newark, new brunswick, trenton, etc and do some research. Unfortunately, I've lost a handful of friends (murdered arabs, and hindu's mistaken for arabs) due to the stupidity of racism!

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com