EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What did King Tut really look like? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What did King Tut really look like?
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a few pics of the boy, all dating from when he was alive. There are various mediums used for the likenesses, but note that the look is consistent, even as he ages. Point is, this is what king Tut really looked like. There were other materials used to build likenesses in colors like green, but the face is the same.

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kem-au, there is some reference material based upon X-rays done by Kent R. Weeks. This book is very hard to find,but according to many comments from the X-ray Atlas they studied contemporary populations of Nubians of Wadi Halfa and found them to be similar in crania to the 17th and 18th dyansties.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Kem-au, there is some reference material based upon X-rays done by Kent R. Weeks. This book is very hard to find,but according to many comments from the X-ray Atlas they studied contemporary populations of Nubians of Wadi Halfa and found them to be similar in crania to the 17th and 18th dyansties.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. To this day I sometimes find it difficult to distingish Nubians from Upper Egyptians.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give it up Kem, if all you care about is 'black' history, which seems to be the case there many areas of study avilable. Kush, the Kingdom of Ghana, Kingdom of Mali, Kingdom of Songhai and many others. Many of these are 'underworked' and need people to devote time to them.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:

Give it up Kem, if all you care about is 'black' history, which seems to be the case there many areas of study avilable. Kush, the Kingdom of Ghana, Kingdom of Mali, Kingdom of Songhai and many others. Many of these are 'underworked' and need people to devote time to them.

On the same token, you should give up on Greece, and focus on western Europe's history. We all know how far back those go in history, in terms of complex culture. Many of these are 'underworked', and need Eurocentrists to devote time to them.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

LOL You just give it up Hor! You know that everything Kem said was true. All of those portraits were created by people who have seen Tut in the flesh and you know anything you say cannot change that!!

Posts: 26243 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way Kem, this image,
really isn't of Tut but is female. Whether they goddess images or of a female ruler, I don't know

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 16 May 2005).]

Posts: 26243 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
really isn't of Tut but is female. Whether they goddess images or of a female ruler, I don't know

Many of the images had descriptions associated with them, but this one did not. How do you know it's a female?

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 16 May 2005).]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Many of the images had descriptions associated with them, but this one did not. How do you know it's a female?

Because first of all, the way it looks which is feminent. And second, I had book about King Tut and his treasures. That Ivory head is just 1 of 4 figures surrounding a box. The figures seem to be protective goddesses. Others have suggested that some of Tut's treasures weren't really his in the first place but were meant for a woman!

anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have pics of Tut's guardian statues??
Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anacalypsis:
Does anyone have pics of Tut's guardian statues??

You mean the Ba statues?

Here is one...

BigMix
Member # 6969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigMix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no way that dude is mulatto according to the NYTIMES AND National Geographic.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally I like to keep explainations rather simple but in the case of the BA statue, the color is really of religious symbolism. Which is a really good point to use in explaining the affinity of the Egyptian culture with Black Africa. The fact that someone has or does not have the classic Negroid appearance, doesn't mean that that society is not indeed Black African in nature. The reverse is also true. Just because you find people with black features doesn't mean their culture is of black origins. 5000 years from now someone will dig up African Americans in America, does that mean that African Americans originated American culture? I think the issue of "RACE" in Egypt is not as important as the issue of "CULTURE" in Egypt and who it belongs to, where it went, the sociological impacts of the Egyptian culture, etc.

Basically: I think the fact that Egyptians painted their Gods black to be intriguing when compared to the Greeks who painted them White. In societies the color of your God indicates the ideal racial types of your culture (ie: Blonde blue eyed Jesus in Europe even though he was Jewish).

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigMix
Member # 6969

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigMix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by osirion:
The reverse is also true. Just because you find people with black features doesn't mean their culture is of black origins. ).

weak reasoning. Its a tad bit illogical to assume that the Egyptians who depicted Asiatics with their proper skin tone, as well as other nationalities, will somehow depict religious symbolism of chocolate skin of a Pharoah that came from Upper Egypt.

This is a matter of preponderance of the evidence and not unethical skepticism as a means to leave the probability existent that Egypt was Euro in origin and that the eurocentric thesis is correct.

[This message has been edited by BigMix (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Osirion was right about the ba statues though. The ba was concieved as black by the Egyptians; black was the symbol of regeneration and renewal.

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 17 May 2005).]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Bigmix:

This is a matter of preponderance of the evidence and not unethical skepticism as a means to leave the probability existent that Egypt was Euro in origin and that the eurocentric thesis is correct.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if I have ever heard the absurd idea that Egypt had a European origin. I have heard the claim that Egypt is Asiatic, but then I have heard that Asiatics recently migrated from Africa. But let me address your direct objection to what I said.

The BA statue or Guardian statue of Tut is not the standard Reddish/Brown that Tut is usually depicted as being (which is interstingly not the way the latest reconstruction of him was painted which is, as some other members have stated, likely due to political reasons) My point is that generally politics of a social group tend to create idealistic impressions of what religious symbols should be (hence why Jesus is normally depicted as a Nordic European rather than as a Jew). The same may be true of the God Osiris and consequently why Tut was painted (blueish black). If you read my post you would understand that I am saying that there appears to be a cultural reason for having a Black God which may indicate Black African origins of the culture. I think looking at Egyptian culture to undersand the origins of certain practices is better than the debate about racial features of these AEs.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Osirion, aside from how the Egyptians depicted themselves, are you aware that there are a plethora of their customs and other cultural aspects that are associated with "Black Africa"?

Just to name a few: Divine kingship; Totemism and their taboos; high status of women; circumcision rites; astrology; sacred colors; sacred numbers; spirit-compositions; deities; icons; and others...

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The ba and the ka concept is definately more African than Asiatic. The ka was supposed to be the spiritual essence of a person which is reflected in modern concepts often found amungst Africans further southward. The whole royal placenta also seems to have been a very African pratice.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could indicate black origins of the culture, but it doesn't. Actually, ancient cultures would have little if any knowledge of their own origins. They would have religious myths but they would have almost no real basis in fact, at least not fact that goes back ass far as that.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gene flow into and out of Egypt is far too confusing and debatable. The classification of race is certainly pseudo-science and rather arbitrary when dealing with high gene flow areas. However, what is far more difficult to debate is the Africaness of the Egyptian culture itself which is more continuous and not as subject to which racial groups have conquered whom.

This is what I would like to hear more evidence of.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
The culture would have many influences , including African.
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The gene flow into and out of Egypt is far too confusing and debatable.

It depends on what timeframe you are referring to. For instance, studies on remains (mostly skeletal) from predynastic through to early dynastic periods indicate limited or small scale foreign instrusion into the Nile. From the middle period, as exemplified by Hyksos arrival, we begin to see more foreign intrusion. Studies on dynastic remains show accordingly.

quote:
osirion:
The classification of race is certainly pseudo-science and rather arbitrary when dealing with high gene flow areas.

I concur. Race is pseudo-science 'anywhere'!

quote:
osirion:
However, what is far more difficult to debate is the Africaness of the Egyptian culture itself which is more continuous and not as subject to which racial groups have conquered whom.

It is only debatable to those who have no idea about Africans, and when you are not specific about the timeframe in question. When dealing with the ancient Egyptians, the "African-ness" of this culture is beyond doubt, for those who know something about Africans and their cultures.

quote:
osirion:
This is what I would like to hear more evidence of.

We touch on some of these cultural aspects occasionally, and I think Djehuti and Ausar did a good job of spelling out some of them!

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It could indicate black origins of the culture, but it doesn't. Actually, ancient cultures would have little if any knowledge of their own origins. They would have religious myths but they would have almost no real basis in fact, at least not fact that goes back ass far as that.

Again you are referring to genetic origins (or race). I am referring to shared cultural affinities such as language, religious practices, social structures, food preparations and various rituals.

For example, a very simple example, is that African women traditionally carry things on their heads. AE depict women doing this in significant numbers. I have not seen depictions of European women doing the same nor is it culturally identifiable trait of European women to transport products on their heads like it is practiced in Africa (yes including AE).

The discussion about race is just too arbitrary. It is difficult to get an agreed upon line drawn between the different groups since features overlap. Simple example is the reconstruction of Tut. The head shape is easily recognizable as African but the nose is not. What do you use to identify the race (the shape of the head or the shape of the nose?). Too many double standards are applied in these overlap situations. Simple example: Negritos of New Guinea and Adamans have protrusive mouths and broad noses with low nose bridges but the shape of the heads is not like Africans. So even though Negritos look black they are classified as a different race due to the shape of their heads. So why wasn't Tut classified as a different race than the caucausian based on the shape of his head? Simple, it is called racial politics. You have been complaining that there is too much racial politics in the forum but the truth is that the statements are in response arbitrary lines drawn between races that are not agreed to by a considerable number of people and there are clear double standards that create frustration when thise lines are discussed.

I think the issue of culture is easier to discuss and probably more relevant to the discussion of "so called" ethnic ownership. Note, however, I am not stating that I have the answer to the discussion. I have just noted that there are a few things about the AEs that are clearly African in origin and I am curious to find out if that means anything.

Oh yeah, by the way, Hor, I don't think most blacks get into Afrocentrism to booster their Egos or to express anti-western feelings. The problem is that, especially in American, we have been taught that people that look like Tut (even the poor skin tone version of him) are Black because they have African genes (ie: Alicia Keys or Halle Berry - look up pictures on them). However, the same people that told us Alicia Keys is black try to say the Tut is White. These double standards are very, very frustrating especially when you get into the tecnichality of it all and you find that someone like Tut has 80% black features and only 20% White but he is still defined as White. Great for Tut but I have a nephew that looks like him and I don't think we would have welcomed hime as a White person in 1950's Alabama.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Osirion, don't mind old Hore all hes got are just opinions. In fact he gives nothing that suggests Egypt was not of African origins. The problem for him is that there is just too many affinities that Egyptian culture has with other cultures in "Sub-Sahara."

And as far as ancient cultures not having any clues about their origins, he gives them very little credit. It has been proven that there is some basis to the origin claims of ancient cultures throughout the world. The ancient Greeks in their myths say the Achaeans(first Greeks) orginated from the northeast, and the Babylonians say they originated from the southeast, yet all of these claims have been proven to be true!

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

And as far as ancient cultures not having any clues about their origins, he gives them very little credit. It has been proven that there is some basis to the origin claims of ancient cultures throughout the world. The ancient Greeks in their myths say the Achaeans(first Greeks) orginated from the northeast, and the Babylonians say they originated from the southeast, yet all of these claims have been proven to be true!

Actually, in implying that the people of historic high cultures, like that of AE, are uninformed about their self-identity and their origins, is insulting their intelligence. It is more like comparing them to hominids, and not the modern humans they are. As modern humans, these people thought and felt like modern humans do today; this is why we relate to them. On the one hand, they are acknowledged for their high culture (suggesting that they had the intellectual capacity to do so), and on the other, their intelligence level is questioned: this is just preposterous!

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I believe this is the goddess Selkit...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Again you are referring to genetic origins (or race). I am referring to shared cultural affinities such as language, religious practices, social structures, food preparations and various rituals.

For example, a very simple example, is that African women traditionally carry things on their heads. AE depict women doing this in significant numbers. I have not seen depictions of European women doing the same nor is it culturally identifiable trait of European women to transport products on their heads like it is practiced in Africa (yes including AE).

The discussion about race is just too arbitrary. It is difficult to get an agreed upon line drawn between the different groups since features overlap. Simple example is the reconstruction of Tut. The head shape is easily recognizable as African but the nose is not. What do you use to identify the race (the shape of the head or the shape of the nose?). Too many double standards are applied in these overlap situations. Simple example: Negritos of New Guinea and Adamans have protrusive mouths and broad noses with low nose bridges but the shape of the heads is not like Africans. So even though Negritos look black they are classified as a different race due to the shape of their heads. So why wasn't Tut classified as a different race than the caucausian based on the shape of his head? Simple, it is called racial politics. You have been complaining that there is too much racial politics in the forum but the truth is that the statements are in response arbitrary lines drawn between races that are not agreed to by a considerable number of people and there are clear double standards that create frustration when thise lines are discussed.

I think the issue of culture is easier to discuss and probably more relevant to the discussion of "so called" ethnic ownership. Note, however, I am not stating that I have the answer to the discussion. I have just noted that there are a few things about the AEs that are clearly African in origin and I am curious to find out if that means anything.

Oh yeah, by the way, Hor, I don't think most blacks get into Afrocentrism to booster their Egos or to express anti-western feelings. The problem is that, especially in American, we have been taught that people that look like Tut (even the poor skin tone version of him) are Black because they have African genes (ie: Alicia Keys or Halle Berry - look up pictures on them). However, the same people that told us Alicia Keys is black try to say the Tut is White. These double standards are very, very frustrating especially when you get into the tecnichality of it all and you find that someone like Tut has 80% black features and only 20% White but he is still defined as White. Great for Tut but I have a nephew that looks like him and I don't think we would have welcomed hime as a White person in 1950's Alabama.

correction-the people of new guinea are classified as black.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
here in Texas we have many mexican cultural adaptations that go back as far as the 18th century, that does not make us mexican. As is usually the case when people have a limited education they tend to over simplify.
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
here in Texas we have many mexican cultural adaptations that go back as far as the 18th century, that does not make us mexican. As is usually the case when people have a limited education they tend to over simplify.

You are mixing apples with oranges. Is the culture in the U.S. that of Mexican origin? Besides, the U.S. is so heterogenous, such that each person, who comes in, brings along with him/her, his/her own culture, while trying to fit in with the mainstream (in the U.S.).

Ancient Egyptian culture is an indigenous one, which by definition, is Egyptian and hence, African!

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 17 May 2005).]

relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
You are mixing apples with oranges. Is the culture in the U.S. that of Mexican origin? Besides, the U.S. is so heterogenous, such that each person, who comes in, brings along with him/her their culture, while trying to fit in with the mainstream (in the U.S.).

Texas, isn't it the place where not long ago they dragged to death the poor innocent? Now I understand your mindset...so sad to discover that...

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

There is a clear distinction between Mexico and Texas (language, religion, life styles, currency, etc) even though they are directly adjacent and share significant gene flow. For example, the Texans are fundamentalist Baptist (bible belt) and the Mexicans are primarily Catholic. The language is clearly different and so is almost every aspect of the culture. I understand what you mean about over-simplification but again people caught up into the politics of race often try to over complicate the obvious to obfuscate things to promote their political agenda. It is really not that complicated of a topic. How African was the AE culture. I don't claim to know the answer but from what little I have seen it appears to be quite African and not like anything else outside of Africa.

If what you mean is that I have little education on the culture of AE, that is true, would you mind providing some actual facts or at least an observation. The Texas/Mexican thing was rather in poor taste and I don't see how that analogy works because I don't hardly even notice the so called Mexican influence in Texas (accept in Mexican neighborhoods). When I think of Texas I think of the good'ole South (Cowboys with Six shooters) and realy good cooking (BBQ and black eye peas) and of course the Alamo. I don't think about Mexicans. I can't imagine that someone from the outside looking at historical artifacts from Texas, religious makeup and social structure is really going to notice Mexican influence. And even if they did, Mexico and America do have a common European origin so the culture is probably rather close anyways.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by relaxx:

Texas, isn't it the place where not long ago they dragged to death the poor innocent? Now I understand your mindset...so sad to discover that...[

What is my mindset? You've totally lost me.

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:

Looks like you guys are right, this is not Tut. There is a description that says they don't know exactly who it is, but it is believed to be Neferneferuaten (Nefertiti?).

Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
quote:

I think he meant to reply to Horemheb. Just a guess.

relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sorry I meant to send it to the Texan above

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
quote:

Texas, isn't it the place where not long ago they dragged to death the poor innocent? Now I understand your mindset...so sad to discover that...

Topdog
Member # 6753

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Horemeheb, please get control of your Eurocentrism and strawman arguments.

Posts: 328 | From: Vicksburg, Mississippi | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
relaxx...its interesting that you would attempt to appy a crime committed by three men to everyone in the state of Texas.
Super Car....I agree it was an african culture, a north african caucasian culture. As Texas was INFLUENCED by Mexican culture, so ancient Egypt was INFLUENCED by the Nubians and others. This is not Rocket science.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
relaxx...its interesting that you would attempt to appy a crime committed by three men to everyone in the state of Texas.
Super Car....I agree it was an african culture, a north african caucasian culture. As Texas was INFLUENCED by Mexican culture, so ancient Egypt was INFLUENCED by the Nubians and others. This is not Rocket science.

Can you actually give some AE cultural observations that support your claims pease. I am not biased and would be interested in actual facts rather than just blanket statements.

As for you analogy:

Keep in mind that Texas was part of Mexico originally (perhaps similar to the fact that Egypt was part of Nubia originally??). Also, the Mexican and Texan culture originates from the same group of people (Europeans). A better analogy would be the impact of Native Americans on Texas culture (since then we are at least dealing with separate origins of culture).

Hor, I don't think its actually reasonable to call you a Eurocentric, this is not at all what you are saying. However, calling Egyptians "North African Caucausians" is like saying that Americans are caucausians (which is what uneducated, simple minded, foreigners think of America 'USA'). Its clearly a known fact that Black Africans lived in the Egyptian region.

In fact it would appear that even using the pseudo science of race classifications there's clear indication that the "so called" Negro was the dominant race in Egypt. As a Christian, my understanding is that White people were slaves in Egypt. I still think the story of Abraham, even if it was a myth, does tend to confirm the analysis of races in AE (that is both observable from the art work, skeletal remains, culture, etc). The story of Abraham is very ancient and even if it was made up it tends to suggest that the African Egyptians were not at all similar to Caucausians (Cro-magnoids).

Here are the FACTS! Blacks are the dominant race in Egypt even based on what we know to be racially biased anthropologists. And that not me being prejudice it is just that during this time, racism was the norm.

Frédéric Falkenburger compiled and analyzed skull measurements from 1,787 Ancient Egyptian male skulls and divided them into four main groups giving the following results: 36% negroid; 33% Mediterranean; 11% cro-magnoid; 20% of individuals not falling in any of these groups, but related to either cro-magnoids or negroids. (Source: "La Composition Raciale del' Ancienne Egypt," Anthropologie vol. 51, 1947)

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
first, let me deal with the Mexican question. mexico is not a European culture, it is an Indian culture, i.e. native american. 84% of mexicans have no foreign blood. When Texas was part of Mexico the vast majority of the population was anglo american. Mexicans came here in larger numbers only after 1836.
The United States has a British culture with a vaneer of frontier expierence. It is an Anglo-European culture, as is Australia, Canada etc.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
first, let me deal with the Mexican question. mexico is not a European culture, it is an Indian culture, i.e. native american. 84% of mexicans have no foreign blood. When Texas was part of Mexico the vast majority of the population was anglo american. Mexicans came here in larger numbers only after 1836.
The United States has a British culture with a vaneer of frontier expierence. It is an Anglo-European culture, as is Australia, Canada etc.

That is pretty much the most uneducated answer I have heard from you. Mexico is an Indian culture? That speaks Spanish and worships a White God name Jesus? Has a fixation on light skin and discriminates against Native Americans and Blacks.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck!

Mexicans dress like Europeans, talk like Europeans, and the dominant social group looks like Europeans! Maybe they are Europeans!!! Good grief. From Bull fights, to soccer, to there calendar system, language, religion, etc, etc etc. They even like to dye their hair blonde and prefer Women with blue eyes and blonde hair. Just look at their movies! They don't even have Indians represented in their entertainment except in a mocking way. No, Mexico doesn't resemble the Aztec culture very well at all. The Spainiards did a good job of stamping the Native American culture out of Mexico. If you want to see Indian culture you will only find it in the most poorest of neighborhoods, but the best place to see it is in the jungles of Guatemala or in South America. Very distinct cultural differences.

Thank for the laugh though.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
I have taught 67 classes in Texas history and lived here all of my life. Everything you just said is wrong.
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member

Hor,

Again you are mixing up genetics with culture. I am not talking about the RACE of Mexicans, I was referring to their culture. Again, culture tells you who is the dominant RACE that originated the artifacts that we use to define a group of people. South Africa is a good example of this. Though most of the people are Black, the culture is still dominantly European except in the poor neighborhoods where the original culture is maintained.

The point I am making: Egypt is dominantly a "so called" Black African culture. In the sense that many of the cultural traits that we have evidence of shares a close affinity with sub-saharan Africa. This doesn't mean that the people themselves are Black, it just means that the original dominant group originally was likely similar to Sub-Saharan blacks.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
I have taught 67 classes in Texas history and lived here all of my life. Everything you just said is wrong.

You actually sound like a teenager. I don't think you are a professor at all. The answer you give are really childish answers. I am sorry that I am offending you but I can't quite understand your mindset. It is just too naive and simple.

Mexico is a dominantly Eurpoean culture just like the USA. It was a colony of Spain and this is why they speak Spanish and have a many other European cultural affinities (in religion, sports, dress, dances, etc).

Besides, you said that everything I said was wrong. Do they not speak Spanish and worship a White God? Do they not enjoy Bull fights and wear (when they are trying to be traditional) European clothing. Again, this isn't about race but about culture. True, Mexican people themselves are largely Indian genetically speaking but their original culture has long been replaced with the culture of the group that concquered them.

Man, this is Cultural Anthropology 101! I really suggest you actually try college.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The African influence on ancient Egypt goes back to the pre-dyanstic era. It includes circumcision as a rite of pasage,divine kingship,and the concept of the rainmaker king.

What you are unfortunately trying to do is apply ''race'' to cultural chracteristics of civlization,and then criticizing people who do the same. You can't attach a racial basis to cultural traits in civlization.

What you forget is that forensic scientist also classify certain people from Sudan,Somalia,and Ethiopia as caucasians despite their skin coloring. This is done primarily on bone structure.

Plenty of remains in Upper Egypt during the pre-dyanstic have been called negriod.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
well, Mexicans are not racially or culturally European. Unlike the British Spain never sent very many people to the new world. What spainish culture was imposed on Mexico was quickly changed to fit the local Indian culture.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Hor,

BTW, I didn't say that Texas was dominantly Mexican, all I said was that it was part of Mexico. I was being sarcastic. You are correct in saying that Mexico had a primarily Anglo-Saxon population in a part of Mexico. Everyone knows that part of the history. But who cares, the Mexican culture is European anyways and similar to our USA culture. Check-mate. Wasn't really a good debate anyways.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
ausar, I did not say culture was exclusive to race, the opposite is true. A nation at a world crossroads, like AE, will over 2000 years as a great power absorbe many cultural influences, just as anglo dominated Texas has absorbed some Mexican indian influences.
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Osirion, I'm not going to argue with you about it, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Read Fahrenbach's book, 'Fire and Blood.'It is a great history of Mexico and will clear up all those issues for you, if you mare interested in the subject.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com