EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The biological debate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The biological debate
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I'm not really being clear with what I'm trying to say regarding the biological approach to classifications. At this point in the game, I strongly doubt I'm at all blinded by Eurocentric ideology, but to paraphrase Wally's earlier point, let's suppose a 1st Dynasty Ancient Egyptian were still alive today. If you asked him where he came from, he might use a word that translates to "blacks". Would you then tell him that he is blinded by Eurocentrism?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Perhaps I'm not really being clear with what I'm trying to say regarding the biological approach to classifications. At this point in the game, I strongly doubt I'm at all blinded by Eurocentric ideology, but to paraphrase Wally's earlier point, let's suppose a 1st Dynasty Ancient Egyptian were still alive today. If you asked him where he came from, he might use a word that translates to "blacks". Would you then tell him that he is blinded by Eurocentrism?

I wouldn't because I consider the AE Blacks.

The AE considered themselves Blacks, that's what Km.t means, what the Ancient Hebrews called them, and how the AG referred to them.

What some of us have tried to convey is that this is distinct from the biological issue of 'race'.

In biology, there is no such thing as a "Black race".

In biology, black is a phenotypical reference to dark skin as an adaption to strong UV as was found in the African interior, where the Km.t originated, along with the many other African peoples with whom they share a common lineage.

In biology, black occurs in a variety of ethnic groups some of whom are quite distantly related.

In biology pacific island blacks are more closely related, 'biologically'... to the Japanese, than West Africans.

In biology West African Blacks are more closely related to the Swedes than they are to pacific Islanders.

Therefore classifying Pacific Islanders and West Africans into a distinct 'negro' race catagory is simply and provably, wrong.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well wally, he wouldn't be blinded by Eurocentric ideology because there is no such thing. He wouldn't use a word to describe himself as black because he wasn't black. That said, he probably wouldn't even think in the kind of racial way that we do in modrern times. He may well have had all races of women, including Nubians, in his harem.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
well wally, he wouldn't be blinded by Eurocentric ideology

The Eurocentric approach serves as a "comforting rationale for an imperialist/racist ideology."

quote:
Horemheb writes: He wouldn't use a word to describe himself as black because he wasn't black.

Who is 'he'? What are you talking about?

Professor Horemheb, please learn to think, and eventually even write in a coherent manner, like your friend Wally: http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/ , and stop making a fool of yourself. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com