EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » egypt contridicts itself

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: egypt contridicts itself
cush
Member # 7956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the things that amazes me is when you go egypt you notice especially around cairo almost all door keepers,security are nubians..now what does this say about dark skin egyptians in upper egypt,they certanly look the same,yet when you look at the egyptian travel books,they say "aswan is home to dark skin nubians", and because of this attitude that lead to assuming dark skin egyptians are inferrior to white one.

man look the egyptian movise in 21st century(2005) they still have this racist thinking when all door keepers and cookers are nubians.
it is really sad and not anly offensive to nubians who make large middle calss but to all upper egyptians,.

i ahavent seem any dark skin egyptians in leading roles in all egyptian movies.
very sad.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Cush, that image has alot to do with both British and Ottoman influences in Egypt. You basically had the baladi[regular Egyptians and Afrangi[Ottoman upper class/Europeans] that ran Egyptian soceity. Its not just the Nubians that suffer in Egypt,but also the poor Fellahin from both the Delta and Upper Egypt.

There was a popular theather act that showed Egyptians in black face. The songs were written and done by a famous Egyptian singer named Sayyid Darwish.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cush:
the things that amazes me is when you go egypt you notice especially around cairo almost all door keepers,security are nubians..now what does this say about dark skin egyptians in upper egypt,they certanly look the same,yet when you look at the egyptian travel books,they say "aswan is home to dark skin nubians", and because of this attitude that lead to assuming dark skin egyptians are inferrior to white one.

man look the egyptian movise in 21st century(2005) they still have this racist thinking when all door keepers and cookers are nubians.
it is really sad and not anly offensive to nubians who make large middle calss but to all upper egyptians,.

very sad.

What ausur said is correct, but one thing that many of the servent they shown in the movies are not nubian but fellahien from most likly the delta. And the servent they shown were the only actual egyptians in the movie, the rest are all foriegn ppl from abroad. Many have decant to turk, syrian, look up thier bio's and you will see.

Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian actor Omar Sharif's parents are from Syria but one of my Egyptian friends swore he was 100% Egyptian until I showed her his bio.
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:
Egyptian actor Omar Sharif's parents are from Syria but one of my Egyptian friends swore he was 100% Egyptian until I showed her his bio.

Exactly, many of them if you look into thier bio you find that they are not even born in egypt.

[This message has been edited by multisphinx (edited 10 June 2005).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

very sad.

Most movies are about the Greco-Roman dynasties. Cleopetra was a very White woman with very little real Egyptian in her.

But this is really silly. If you go to Mexico city where do you find Aztec Indians? In America, what are the more true descendents of Aztecs Indians doing for a living? I my state it is almost a strange sight to see a dark brown Mexican dressed up in a suit. I saw a dark brown Mexican dressed in a pair of slacks and a white shirt and wondered if he was Portugese or something. Turn on Galavision and Univision (spanish stations here) or checkout Mexican models and the vast majority are clearly very little Aztec Indians. Most have Blonde hair!

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cush
Member # 7956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:
What ausur said is correct, but one thing that many of the servent they shown in the movies are not nubian but fellahien from most likly the delta. And the servent they shown were the only actual egyptians in the movie, the rest are all foriegn ppl from abroad. Many have decant to turk, syrian, look up thier bio's and you will see.

THAT IS VERY TRAGIC.

EGYPT HAS ALOT OF POWER WHEN IT COMES TO MEDIA IN MIDDLE EAST,AND THEY COULD INFLUENCE THE MEDIA BY PUTTING ALOT OF AVERAGE EGYPTIANS(IE UPPER EGYPTINAS) RATHER THAN SELLING TO SYRIANS/IRAQI PEOPLE WHO COMPLETLY LOOK DIFFERENT TO AVERAGE EGYPTIANS.

DO THE UPPER EGYPTIANS HAVE LOCAL FILMS WHERE THEY CAN RELATE TO I WONDER.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cush:
[B] THAT IS VERY TRAGIC.

Had a lot to do with lack of skills, abilities and interests of other things.

But not to worry my brother's house keeper is a philipina. She is more talented than the previous generation.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 11 June 2005).]

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by neo*geo:
[B]Egyptian actor Omar Sharif's parents are from Syria but one of my Egyptian friends swore he was 100% Egyptian until I showed her his bio.

You hate Egypt so much to the degree of forging people's genes, selectively.
Hell with Omar, a grandson of a Alexandria jew, womaniser,a gambler and a looser, but first of all A Very Bad Actor.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Omar Sharif is a Lebanese Jew. His people owned a logging businesss before they moved to Alexandria and became famous.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cush
Member # 7956

Rate Member
salama one question why do you hate so much your folow upper egyptian bropther ans isters.

you seam to have identity problem.

when you say some thing bad about dark skin people especially somalis you are at the same time assaulting your upper egyptians country man.

it does suprise with these attitudes you have darfur situation and and too many iraqi/syrian celeberty in the walls of cairo.
what a hypocracy may i say.

accept you are egyptians and live with it rather suckin up to white iraqis/syrians.

love your self first.

if you love your self today egyptians would be speaking egyptians language not arabic.

secopndly i dont hate arabs,that is whay arabic is widely spoken in our country but ancient lanuage is kept..now that is smart.

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[B]

Omar Sharif is a Lebanese Jew. His people owned a logging businesss before they moved to Alexandria and became famous.

He is also your cousin.

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cush:

( secopndly i dont hate arabs )

You could have fooled me..!!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Cush, do you study much about Egypt from the Late Dyanstic Period into the Medieval period in Egypt? If you did then you would know one of the main reasons why Egyptians lost their ancient Egyptian language. Some linguists like Bayoumi Qandil insist that modern Egyptian colloquial Arabic is thew third phase of the ancient Egyptian language. Can you read Arabic? His book will enlighten you.

Another friend of mine named Ossama Alsaadawi claims that the modern Egyptians never lost the languages of their ancestors. He is another good scholar that I invited on this message board. You can check the archive for his posts.

Most traditional linguist consider Coptic[spoken in various dialects] to be the last remainder of the ancient Egyptian language spoken in daily useage in various parts of Egypt. However, when the Arabs came into Egypt Coptic was soone replaced by Arabic. The reason being was that it helped Egyptians communicate and do business very easily with the Arab invaders.

Another factor was that Caliph Wahlid made Arabic the offical language of the Caliph. Arabic from know on was only to be used in administration,and so Egyptians learned Arabic in order to obtain jobs.

In the rural countryside of Upper Egypt Coptic[Sahidic dialect] continued to be spoken. According to Arab history,al-Maqrizi,it was spoken well into the 14th century. By later accounts it was still spoken as an everyday language in Middle and Upper Egypt.

Read this link Cush:

It was also al-Walid that coupled islamicization with arabicization. Conversion was not forced on conquered peoples; however, since non-believers had to pay an extra tax and were not technically citizens, many people did convert for religious and non-religious reasons. This created several problems, particularly since Islam was so closely connected with being Arab?being Arab, of course, was more than an ethnic identity, it was a tribal identity based on kinship and descent. As more and more Muslims were non-Arabs, the status of Arabs and their culture became threatened. In particular, large numbers of Coptic-speaking (Egypt) and Persian-speaking Muslims threatened the primacy of the very language that Islam is based on. In part to alleviate that threat, al-Walid instituted Arabic as the only official language of the empire. He decreed that all administration was to be done only in Arabic. It was this move that would cement the primacy of Arabic language and culture in the Islamic world.

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/ISLAM/UMAY.HTM

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Some linguists like Bayoumi Qandil insist that modern Egyptian colloquial Arabic is thew third phase of the ancient Egyptian language. Can you read Arabic? His book will enlighten you.

Well, I don't know about Bayoumi Qandil, but if modern Egyptian language is called 'Arabic', it is done so for a reason, don't you think? The implication is that, it[colloquial Arabic] isn't that much different from the general Arabic language, so as to warrant it, a language of its own. Yes, there maybe various words from the ancient language directly incorporated into Arabic, whereby such words may not be used by Gulf Arabs, not to mention that Arabic itself, has been known to have borrowed various words from Kemetic (including the fact that Arabic is part of the Afrasan/Afro-Asiatic, which has its roots in Africa), but does this make it Egyptic, as in the evolution of Kemetic language into Hieratic, Demotic and Coptic? These latter three largely kept Egyptic intact, except for modifications mainly in the writing processes. Can the same be said of 'colloquial Arabic'?

quote:
ausar:
Another friend of mine named Ossama Alsaadawi claims that the modern Egyptians never lost the languages of their ancestors...

I can agree with that, in that, words of ancient Egyptian language have been incorporated into 'colloquial' Arabic, and in general, may well live on in various forms, in Arabic. I know that we've already gone through a few examples here, but perhaps, more examination has to be put into determining how much of Arabic, has been derived from ancient Egyptian language.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 11 June 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

EGYPT HAS ALOT OF POWER WHEN IT COMES TO MEDIA IN MIDDLE EAST,AND THEY COULD INFLUENCE THE MEDIA BY PUTTING ALOT OF AVERAGE EGYPTIANS(IE UPPER EGYPTINAS) RATHER THAN SELLING TO SYRIANS/IRAQI PEOPLE WHO COMPLETLY LOOK DIFFERENT TO AVERAGE EGYPTIANS.

Actually, the average Egyptian is not drammatically different from an average Iraqi or even Syrian. People who live in Delta are practically indistinguishable from Palestinians or Northern Lybians. Many people in Delta are quite light-skinned and mediterrean looking. Those "mulatto" looking Masreyeen are not so numerous as you suggest (maybe 10-15%?). At least 80% of Egyptians look Middle Eastern and most Egyptians in this board (of course, except Ausar and multisphinx, who thinks that the people in Delta look like mulattoes) will confirm it. Those "East African" looking Egyptians live mostly in Qena,Luxor and Aswan (sometimes also in Middle Egypt - Sohag,Asyut and el Minya), but this part of Egypt is only sparsely populated, compared to Delta and Middle Egypt, just look at map.

[This message has been edited by Ayazid (edited 24 June 2005).]

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com