EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Representation of Upper Egyptians in Egyptian pop-culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Representation of Upper Egyptians in Egyptian pop-culture
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this sound:
http://www.melodyhits.tv/docs/artist_albums.asp?aid=1194&type=video

Firstly you must register here:
http://www.melodyhits.tv/docs/register.asp

Enjoy it Ya Sa3ayeda!

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayazid, even in India's pop culture Dravidian speaking southern Indians are presented the same way as northern Indians, even though southern Indians are black or much darker than northern Indians!!

Pop culture is what it is-- "Popular" culture, and unfortunately in countries from Egypt, through Arabia and the Near-East to India and unfortunately in Southeast Asia, dark-skinned or black people just aren't that popular!!

I doubt you'll see a rural villager from Luxor (the same type that helped Carter) ever make it to the Pop scene in Egypt, so what is the point of this thread?

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 16 July 2005).]

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Actually, there was a singer from Aswan that had a big hit in Egypt. Most of the artists in Egypt tend to be Lower Egyptians. When saying Upper Egypt you have to be specific if you mean Near Sa3eed or Deep Sa3eed where I am from.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a couple of black singers well by american standereds black in egypt, one is shando.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you allready see the videoclip? Itīs hilarious! Especially you Djehuti! Itīs real Sa3eedi videoclip with real Sa3eedi rural fellaheen baladi Upper Egyptian black people singing in real deep Sa3eedi rural baladi dialect

BTW, are you American?

[This message has been edited by Ayazid (edited 18 July 2005).]

Posts: 653 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Actually, there was a singer from Aswan that had a big hit in Egypt. Most of the artists in Egypt tend to be Lower Egyptians. When saying Upper Egypt you have to be specific if you mean Near Sa3eed or Deep Sa3eed where I am from.

You mean Shando, right?

I think that Ahmed Adaweya (big sha3by star from 70īs) is from el Sa3eed to:

""My brothers were ashamed of me -- my family is from Upper Egypt, remember -- because they could not accept that a man would sing, especially among belly-dancers. But I liked to sing, what could I do? I felt it was a gift from God that I simply had to make use of."

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2001/520/profile.htm

I think that also Esam Karika is from el Sa3eed: (The name of one his song is "Abdelraheem el Qenawi" - itīs also sung in Sa3eedi dialect).

And of course Hakeem,who is from Maghagha in el Minya:

What do you think about these artists Ausar, bet7ebb el aghany el sha3beeya? Or you prefere Amr Diab, Mohamed Fouad and such stuff? I am talking only about Masri music

[This message has been edited by Ayazid (edited 18 July 2005).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My personal favoriet is Mohammed Mounir. Not a Sa3eedi but a Nubian. Shaabi music is cool. Amr Diab is not my taste of music. Prefer more older traditional music from people like Umm Kulthoum and Abdel Halim Hafez. You know one of the most populat singers in Egypt are not even Egyptian. The most popular is Kathem El Saher.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayazid
Member # 2768

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ayazid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sa3eedi pop idols:

[This message has been edited by Ayazid (edited 22 July 2005).]

zulu ra zuri
Member # 7122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zulu ra zuri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally like Amr Diab and Mohammed Fouk, Abdel Halim Hafez...The baia sound-Hakim- Sidi Mansour is cool too. Khalid's "DiDi" and "Aisha" are some of my favorites.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

My personal favoriet is Mohammed Mounir. Not a Sa3eedi but a Nubian. Shaabi music is cool. Amr Diab is not my taste of music. Prefer more older traditional music from people like Umm Kulthoum and Abdel Halim Hafez. You know one of the most populat singers in Egypt are not even Egyptian. The most popular is Kathem El Saher.

Posts: 104 | From: santa barbara, california usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com